Southaven Mayor Reveals He’s Gay

December 16, 2011

Southaven Mayor Greg Davis, who has been embattled for some time now over personal expenses billed to the city, made a stark admission to the Commercial Appeal yesterday when he revealed for the first time that he is gay. Davis has been in public service for 20 years first serving as a state representative (replacing John Grisham) and as mayor of the Desoto county city since 1997. Davis was also the GOP nominee in the 2008 First District Congressional race, both the special election and general, where he lost to Travis Childers.

Details emerged that he spent $67 at a store named Priape, which is described as “Canada’s premiere gay lifestyle store and sex shop.”

That led Davis to say this: “At this point in my life and in my career, while I have tried to maintain separation between my personal and public life, it is obvious that this can no longer remain the case. While I have performed my job as mayor, in my opinion, as a very conservative, progressive individual — and still continue to be a very conservative individual — I think that it is important that I discuss the struggles I have had over the last few years when I came to the realization that I am gay.”

Davis also said this: “The only apology I would make to my supporters if they are upset is the fact that I was not honest enough with myself to be honest with them. But I have lived my life in public service for 20-plus years, and in order for me to remain sane and move on, I have got to start being honest about who I am.”

The Republican who left open the door for a future run, has three children and was apparently divorced from his wife of 19 years in 2010. On his campaign website, which hasn’t been updated for over a year, Davis has a section about his family and their involvement with Heartland Church in Southaven.

1. Jim Scruggs permalink
    December 16, 2011 12:22 pm

He wouldn’t have even come out as gay if he hadn’t gotten caught. Mr. Davis ran on a platform which was conservative with Christian values. This was a lie. To give a reason of I can’t do my job correctly, because I was struggling with all this pain of me being gay. Now, since I’m out of the closet, I will do a better job. What a load of hogwash!! We all have things we deal with each and every day Mr. Davis, but please save us from wanting sympathy for your choice of lifestyle. Do the right thing and MAN UP!!! Resign with what little dignity you have left. I don’t judge you for your lifestyle… because your lifestyle is already judged by the ONE whow you say you worship.

• YOUELEPHANT... permalink
      December 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Re:Jim, chosen lifestyle? Really? Dude..fact shows being gay is not a choice. Because of close-minded and conservatives gay men who are brought up Christians “struggle” with coming out because they have been taught they are “wrong” or “sinful” . There would be no struggle if right-wingers would stop accepting fairy tails as truth. I know it must be hard do ditch that kinda dogma and programming (or brainwashing), so i feel for the guy…but only slightly. I do agree with you that closeted men in public service should man up about their sexuality when they come to terms with it. But we have all seen this before….conservative hypocrites leading a life contrary to what they preach. There have been more gay sex scandals in the GOP than other parties. And he is going to get the consequence he deserves for being a servant to people who will judge him, and leave him because they arent at all what they preach. And that I hope shows him the light about the lies he has believing.

• adam permalink
        December 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Youelephant, it is a choice. People choose to walk way from it as they do choose to be gay. You can keep telling yourself you’re life of sin isn’t just that, but you’d be wrong. No studies have backed up the claims that you’re born gay because you aren’t. The main study that brought this up was wrong and even the men who put it up have come back and said they were wrong. Stop trying to lie to yourself and others.

• CRJ permalink
        December 21, 2011 5:47 am

The FACTS are that more former homosexuals have LEFT that lifestyle than there are people living it! So much for the excuse of ‘ is not a choice’.

• Phil permalink
        January 7, 2012 6:46 am

It kills me that people think because you a christian now suddenly you live a holy life. Wake up!! Satan wants you more as a Christian than a person he already has. No one is perfect only God is perfect, being gay is a sin!

• Jim permalink
      December 21, 2011 6:03 am

No thank you YOU ELEPHANT… I have all the facts I need. They are called The HOLY SCRIPTURES. You forget, man’s morals are not the same as GOD’S righteousness. Man’s morals change to fit his lifestyles. GOD’S righteousness never changes.

2. Bill permalink
    December 16, 2011 1:22 pm

“made a stark admission”

Really, Brett? What ‘stark admission’ would THAT be?

For the record, young man, one does not make a ‘stark admission’ of who they are, one simply INFORMS people.

Your own personal biases are showing in your writing. You should do better.

For the record, a ‘stark admission’ would have been him saying he had 20 bodies buried in his basement.

Your either a bigot or a horrible writer.

I hope you aren’t both.

3. Doug permalink
    December 16, 2011 2:31 pm

While I have performed my job as mayor, in my opinion, as a very conservative, progressive individual …
    ———————————————————————————————

Not possible.

4. YOUELEPHANT... permalink
    December 16, 2011 2:36 pm

So if my comments not being put up here because they are not conservative? That’s so very typical of conservatives. Truth hurts too bad.

5. Amber permalink
    December 16, 2011 2:41 pm

It’s sad that people have to hide their lifestyles. Living in the very conservative south, I kind of understand WHY he hid it, but disagree with the fact that he used taxpayers money for his personal endeavors. He never would have admitted that he was gay if he hadn’t gotten caught. I sincerely hope that he can come to terms with who he is as a person, and start being honest with himself.

6. EricEsq permalink
    December 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Sounds like he did what conservatives expect of every gay man who wants to start a family an serve his community: live a lie.

7. YOUELEPHANT... permalink
    December 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Apparently moderators for this blog are in ka-hoots with Faux news because non of my posts go through….but I agree with Eric. This guy is just a product of conservatives choice of lifestyle. You dont choose your sexual orientation…but you do choose your religion.

8. shirley looney permalink
    December 16, 2011 4:52 pm

I think he has been a great mayor.Now when you judge him will you be ready to be judged for your own hidden secerets?We all have them so now its your turn step forward.I think its best to just keep quiet and pray for him and his family shirley looney

9. Jasonb84 permalink
    December 16, 2011 5:41 pm

The only reason people choose to believe that being gay is a lifestyle or choice is because it then allows them to act in a prejudiced bullying manner towards gay and lesbian people. I was born gay, and you can argue that with me all your like – but guess what I don’t care because your a nobody to me.

10. Republican Dawg permalink
    December 16, 2011 6:09 pm

The mayor has many problems, being gay not necessarily being at the top of his list. The bottom line is he was treading on very thin waters before this unfolded, and I doubt he can survive now.

Further- what does this say about his judgment? Did he want to get caught and become some sympathetic figure? Forget about running again, he needs to focus on lasting the remainder of his term.

11. Clay permalink
    December 16, 2011 8:24 pm

The mayor will probably enjoy prison life!

12. c.s. alan permalink
    December 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Greg Davis: self-loathing incarnate.

13. jason permalink
    December 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Ms. Looney, your comments really are looney. How can you possibly think that he has been a great mayor when he has billed the city for over $100,000.00 in personal expenses that he has incurred? Any way you slice it, that is embezzlement. He belongs in prison and I believe that he will eventually end up there. As for his admission that he is gay, so what? I don’t care. As for stealing money, he should be forced to resign and he should be wearing a prison jumpsuit.

• shirley looney permalink
      December 19, 2011 11:42 am

innocent untill proven guilty

• jason permalink
        December 21, 2011 5:31 pm

The fact that he has already reimbursed the city nearly $100,000 for items that he inappropriately spent is a strong indication of guilt.

14. December 17, 2011 7:01 pm

This should be reason enough to Watch Your Vote ! Just because somebody is a Democrat or Republican doesn’t mean they are true to their values. The Republican Party has become Big Big Big tent over the years and this is what happens. Social Liberals and other non conservatives think they can Join the GOP crowd. The biggest problem in this state is that conservative Mississippians don’t have anybody to vote for. They were forced to settle for Greg Davis (R) or Travis Childers (D). Now both are outward liberals based on their personal lifestyles and their voting records. Follow me and consider conservative third parties and independent conservatives in upcoming elections. Principle over Politics ! Honesty over Money ! Mississippi First !

15. December 18, 2011 10:24 am

He stole nearly $200,000. Stole. Embezzled. Literally could not keep his d____ out of the city coffers. Forget the sex angle, he’s a damn thief, period, and needs to go to a taxpayer-funded resort where he can practice his sexuality with like-minded inviduals.

If they sent Eddie Price to jail, this guy should be there too.

16. December 19, 2011 8:46 am

I live in Madison and only know Greg Davis from reading about him, but I wonder how much of a revelation this was to the people who worked with him every day. Unless he’s an actor on par with the late, great Rock Hudson he probably wasn’t as deep in his closet as he thought. I don’t much care about his or anyone else’s sex life, but he stole money from the public and needs to face the consequences.

17. marmie permalink
    December 19, 2011 9:46 am

Greg Davis should forced to pay for the audit. I am sure that was expensive. Maybe he will tip Stacy Pickering well.

18. Dylan Watson permalink
    December 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Kingfish says, “Forget the sex angle…” then goes on to make a joke about Davis having gay sex in prison. You’re a class act, man.

For what it’s worth, I do agree with the general idea behind your comment, which is that he should face the consequences for his actions (embezzlement, theft, whatever).

19. Hinds Lawyer permalink
    December 20, 2011 11:30 am

I have known Mayor Davis through the GOP for 15 years, my group has made phone calls for him. I also believed he was doing a great job in Southaven. The people who I knew spoke well of him, then he became divorced and the rumors abounded.
    I don’t care and have never cared about his sexuality, but I do care what he does with the money from taxpayers.
    I also think the publicity has been over the top.

20. Jim permalink
    December 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Let’s face it. Southaven was going to grow regardless who the mayor was. Southaven will continue to grow without Greg Davis at the helm. As I had anticipated… it has turned into a gay thing.. forgetting about what Greg Davis stole. I wonder how many of us would get many chances to pay off something embezzeled. Chances are , we would have been taken to Oxford before a grand jury already. This is just the good ole boys method of taking care of each other. The DA in Oxford should bring charges against Greg Davis for theft. But then again, he may be a good ole boy also.

21. Aphrodite permalink
    February 7, 2012 5:36 pm

Although I concur with you on the fact that the embezzling of the money was completely wrong, we cannot judge him for being gay. It is classified as a sin in the , but the bible also states that each and EVERY sin is EQUAL. So stealing, killing, lying, pre marital sex etc all falls in the category of sins that we all have to be accountable for once we leave this earth. Its christians always want God to forgive us for our sins, but except others to ” go straight to hell for theirs and theyre

22. Brian Dove permalink
    February 8, 2012 4:03 pm

“While I have performed my job as mayor, in my opinion, as a very conservative, progressive individual — and still continue to be a very conservative individual…”

You cannot be “very conservative” and “progressive” at the same time. This is double mindedness and the Bible says a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

People like to slap Christians with the “judge him” comment when social issues like homosexuality are discussed. Funny they want to quote the Bible on judging but they don’t want to quote the foundation of the entire Bible. In Genesis – God said it was not good that man was alone, so he gave him a woman – didn’t give him a man.

So I have not found where this lifestyle was designed by God.

If we as a Judea Christian nation going to say that Homosexuality is an acceptable lifestyle because people are “created” that way – through genetics, are we going to also say that other people with “lifestyles” such as Wife Swapping, Spanking, Bondage, Cross Dressing, and on down the line to Pedophilia are also forms of personal lifestyles designed by God through Genetics? Where do you stop and draw the line?

Rome and Greece cultures were rampant in their acceptance of these liberal sexualities and these great societies failed. So how is it “Progressive” to Digress back to these cultures which ultimately failed?

For Christians and Jews – are we not limited to accepting either a celibate lifestyle which God said was not good for man, or marriage between a man and a woman as what God created and intended as our only legitimate lifestyle options? This is a biblical standard – not one we made up.

Our duty as Christians is to Love Mr. Davis, but agree with him and others that this “lifestyle” is what God intended for him or us – nope….and that’s not judging him…thats staying true to what you believe in. We are also in the majority in Mississippi.

The other problem I have with Mr. Davis is he is wanting to REDEFINE the word CONSERVATIVE. Homosexuality is a LIBERAL lifestyle. It is not a CONSERVATIVE lifestyle. Stealing and lying to the people that elected you are a LIBERAL lifestyle not a CONSERVATIVE lifestyle.

The fact that he is a homosexual and in office – if the people of Southaven believe this is no big deal its none of my business because I don’t live there. I do have a dog in the hunt when it comes to the false messages about CONSERVATISM he is making.

What I find truly appalling and disgusting is why is he being treated differently from someone working in a bank who embezzles $100,000.00 from the bank and gets caught? They don’t get to keep their jobs and just pay the money back because they got caught. Why is he still in the office of the Mayor? I thought knowingly filing a false document with a government agency in the State of Mississippi was in itself a crime. Does it really matter if it was a sex toy or an office chair that he took?

Why does he get to raise as an excuse that he is struggling with HIS homosexuality and get to just pay the money back but a heterosexual private bank employee doesn’t get to raise it as a defense and they loose their job and go to prison?

Maybe our Attorney General can contract with one of them lawyers that donated to his campaign to start taking care of things like this? He apparently does not have enough staff to take care of it.

23. CRJohnson permalink
    February 11, 2012 7:13 am

Good post, Brian. Our Attorney General will sit this one out as , I believe, he has intentions of running for Bryants’ seat and needs to play politics more than do what is honest and right.

24. LSWebb permalink
    February 25, 2012 1:43 am

“Funny they want to quote the Bible on judging but they don’t want to quote the foundation of the entire Bible. In Genesis – God said it was not good that man was alone, so he gave him a woman – didn’t give him a man.”

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) Matt. 19:12
    For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it

You may give me a present day definition of this word eunuch. In that, you will throw away this verse. However, We know that every verse is as relevant Today as any before. As a gender bended person, it is an experience I have had as a child and now into adulthood. I do not shy away from my condemnation, yet I am forgiven by the Blood of Christ.

I am a Christian and I will discuss the foundation and core any time. Christ Jesus calls us to repent and turn away. Though with every word reminds us that we are not perfect and can never be. It is not a Christian’s place to point to another’s sin or to stand in another’s path, only to confess their own sins and strive their own path towards the Love of God.

Romans 14:4 “Who are you to condemn God’s servants. They are responsible to the Lord, so let Him tell them whether they are right or wrong. The Lord’s power will help them do as they should.” Verse 10: “So why do you condemn another Christian? Why do look down on another Christian? Remember, each of Us will stand personally before the judgment seat of God.” Again verse 13: “So don’t condemn each other anymore. Decide to live in such a way that you do not put an obstacle in another Christian’s path.”

“are we going to also say that other people with “lifestyles” such as Wife Swapping, Spanking, Bondage, Cross Dressing, and on down the line to Pedophilia are also forms of personal lifestyles designed by God through Genetics? Where do you stop and draw the line?”

Where we draw the line, Sir, is the place where a consensual adult relationship ends. The sexual abuse of a child should never be tolerated by a community, but also never should proper education of Our children be denied. The jump from homosexuality to pedophilia has no valid connection. This is a tactic used only to over inflate “pointing out the speck in your friends eye, while there is a log is in your own”

“For Christians and Jews – are we not limited to accepting either a celibate lifestyle which God said was not good for man, or marriage between a man and a woman as what God created and intended as our only legitimate lifestyle options? This is a biblical standard –
    not one we made u”

No sir, that is not our only options. Many in the bible experienced many sexual infidelities. Our options are only as limited as our own weaknesses to sin. God, through the Blood of Christ, forgives. It is the lust that is sinful no matter the gender or marital status. Love is never condemned.

How you choose to handle the misused funds is irrelevant. However, the plight of homosexuals in Mississippi is most important. The need for a person in Mississippi to stay closeted and the devastation of circumstances’ in families, friendships, school or work environments is very real. This leads homosexual children into depression, suicidal behaviors, addictions, and homelessness at alarmingly higher rates. Along with this, mis-education leads many into highly destructive and mortally dangerous situations. It is not the result of the homosexual sin that leads so many along this path, but it is the banishment and denial from Our own community. There are places in Mississippi that have not fully passed through racial desegregation. The majority in such an environment is most often wrong.

• CRJohnson permalink
      March 1, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for the post, LSWebb. Good to see the Lord dealing with you because it shows there is still hope! Keep us informed, please.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )