MS-01: Dark Horse Candidates Mentioned

June 4, 2009
tags: 2010 House, Alan Nunnelee, Angela McGlowan, Henry Ross, Merle Flowers, MS-01, Wesley Walls

The Southern Political Report has a new story out looking into the 2010 House race for the First District. So far the two most common predicted to run against first-term Rep. Travis Childers are state Sen. Alan Nunnelee (R-Tupelo) and state Sen. Merle Flowers (R-Southaven). The SPR story talks about how those two could be pitted in a regional primary similar to Greg Davis and Glenn McCullough just a year ago.

Personally, I do not see the Republicans repeating the same disastrous strategy of a year ago that opened the door for the Democrats to pick up the open seat.

The story also mentioned three names that are not generally at the top of the GOPs list, but may be worth remembering.

Former Eupora Mayor Henry Ross, who has also been an assistant district attorney and a judge, along with Angela McGlowan, a political and business analyst for FoxNews who happens to be African American and female, are listed as potential candidates. Wesley Walls, a former football player at Ole Miss, is also mentioned but they indicate he is less likely than the other two to jump in the race.

1. Matt permalink
    June 4, 2009 1:23 pm

Hasn’t Merle Flowers been a name mentioned for Lt. Governor in 2011? I don’t see the voter ID bill destroying his chances, but others do. I would rather see him go for that and Nunnelee run for the Congress seat.

2. Chris permalink
    June 5, 2009 8:03 am

I think an important part of this story was what Brian Perry said, and that is that historically it is very, very difficult- if not impossible- to beat an incumbent. I think Nunnelee has the best chance, but don’t even know if I would call the race a toss-up (at least right now). Don’t get me wrong, I want the GOP to win- but it may not be easy as some people think.

3. Brad Holder permalink
    January 21, 2010 11:38 am

Travis Childers is an outstanding man with the best voice for Mississippi’s 1st district congressonal seat. We can’t afford to train someone else to be congressman. You just don’t load up and go to DC and know the ropes, you have to learn and listen to your constituants and that is exactly what he does, “HIS JOB”. He will have my vote again on election day. He is one of my votes that I can brag on, not very many more is on that list. Even though I lean toward Rep. Most of the time, when I sit down with a official of that statue, which is not often, and they really listen to my comment or question and give me a very good explanation, even if it isn’t what I want to hear, it really means alot to me that my voice and concerns are heard and taken to heart by the man we voted in!!! THANKS TRAVIS FOR YOUR CONCERN IN MISSISSIPPI

4. amber permalink
    January 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Being proud that you voted for Travis Childers is like being proud your daughter is a slut. Get a grip.

• Charlotte permalink
      January 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Amber,

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel about Childers.

5. Charlotte permalink
    January 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I am sure that Travis is a fine man. He has lots of friends that like him and I am sure will vote for him. As far as listening to his constituents I am afraid that he does not do that. Where was he during the townhall meetings – on vacation. He has what is jokingly refered to as selective hearing. He has not done a good job for Mississippi and as far as training goes – he has been trained by the wrong people. We need new representation.

• marmie permalink
      January 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Friends like Dickie Scruggs and Joey Langston????

6. amber permalink
    January 21, 2010 5:13 pm

If I told you how I really feel about T.C. the moderator would pull my comments and the FBI might investigate.