Did You Know The Movie ‘The Blind Side’ Was Racist?

November 19, 2009

A wealthy family from the Memphis suburbs takes in a kid with no education who they find wandering the streets and eventually become his family. Great story right? Well, if that happens to be a white, Christian family who takes in a young black man then you have the makings of a racist movie- at least according to The Huffington Post. Nevermind that this is the true story of Michael Oher and the Tuohy family; according to Mark Blankenship- who apparently is training for a job with MSNBC- movies like this should not be shown.

From Blankenship:

This is the story we’re told: A poor, ignorant, and “innocent” black teenager (IBT) stumbles into the privileged world of white society. Because he’s so “backwards,” the only white people he can communicate with are small children. And even they know better than he does. One little boy even has to teach the IBT how to smile at girls so they won’t be afraid of him.

And oh, thank god for the white boy’s kindness, because the IBT’s life is hard! He’s never had his own bed, he’s never gotten much schooling, and the other black people in his life are Mean and Scary and Probably Do Drugs. It’ll take a white kid’s mercy to get him out of this mess.

Except wait. No. It’s not the white kid who can help the IBT. It’s the white kid’s pretty white mother (PWM). When the PWM learns about the IBT’s hard knock life, she uses all of her rich white magic to make it better. She even helps him learn to play football. Yes! A skinny white lady teaches someone about football!

And you know what else? IBT’s simple-minded charm affects the PWM. When her rich whitelady friends compliment her good deeds, she says, with a small choke in her voice, that it’s really him who’s changing her.

There are many things I want to say about the low-life piece of trash writing for The Huffington Post, but I’ll just leave it at this: For some reason I think the real reason Blankenship didn’t like the movie is because a Christian family took Oher in rather than the government. That would make for a success story in the eyes of Blankenship and people who think like him.

About these ads
  1. Aliyah permalink
    November 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Dearest Brett –

I am terribly afraid that you have made a crucial error in your judgment of certain members’ of the public’s judgment of this film. You fail to separate the complicated and beautiful human messiness of reality from the reductionist, 2-dimensional-concept-glorifying nature of film. This is an conversation regarding meta-narratives; a matter of what it means that a particular situation was chosen to be a feature film out of the millions of marketable situations out there, and how it fits within the context of our broken, bruised history.

We cannot, cannot, cannot carry on as though we live in a vacuum. I know it would be easier, I know that it would hurt less for some of us if things could be that (ahem) black and white, and I appreciate how tempting it is to say “everyone should be treated EXACTLY the same way and ANY exception to THAT is what is racist, NOT my failure to acknowledge complicated and guilt-inducing issues like institutional oppression”…but we just can’t.

The issue Mr. Blankenship and, indeed, I take with this movie is not based on the actual real-life event, but on the fact that it is being turned into a glittery hero story wherein the white lady saves the black boy from his destitution and we all applaud her for her white knightery. Within the aforementioned historical context of slavery and the subsequent white guilt, this means something. It means something that Hollywood considered this to be a hugely marketable story worthy of the star power of Sandra Bullock over, say, a story of a white lady adopting a white boy and changing his life.

2. Truth Hurts permalink
    November 19, 2009 10:47 pm

I just wanted to echo the exact same sentiments. This movie really irks me. This is a classic White people come save the day movie. It’s so predictable: What one would perceive as a beautiful white woman who rescues and tames the wild uncivilized black beast, I mean boy from his uncivilized environment is the basic plot of this movie. White people please get over yourselves. I know this movie makes you feel good and quietly addresses your issue of white guilt, but give it a break already. This is a self serving movie that attempts to over sensationalize Caucasian’s humanity and highlight your perceived notion that people of color and in particular black males are uncivilized beast. The people in Hollywood that green light these passively but yet overt racist movies disgust me. Of all of the stories and scripts that you guys could have to produced regarding people of color, this is the one that you green light. What a shame.

You guys really need to get over yourselves and this false sense of supremacy that you guys have. Please don’t support this crap in the theaters so Hollywood can get the message that there are better stories out there that don’t continue to fuel the stereotypes of people of color. This is almost a modern day Tarzan film.

And one last thing, if “white” was sooo good, why are white people so eager to change their skin color to brown? And this is coming from a white male. Have a super day!!!!

3. Roger permalink
    November 20, 2009 10:50 am

Sorry OP, but this movie is one hundred percent, good-ol’ fashioned family racism. White paternalism? Check. Ignorant black guy who can’t do anything on his own? Check. Oversimplification of the actual story? Check. Complete ignorance on the writers’ parts of just how condescending this movie is towards black people? Double check.

• Kara permalink
      March 27, 2010 5:30 pm

this is only racist to you ignorant people because you are racist yourself. so what if a rich white family took him in if it was a rich black family they would have made a movie just the same. you are nothing but arrogant ignorant S.O.Bs because you cant even see the good behind this wonderful persons doings. This family is one of very few who would have taken someone in he is good boy and this movie touched a lot of people. how dare you say it was racist you are the racist anyone who thinks this is racist is racist. this movie was wonderful and i would watch it over and over and over. these people are great people and you will never know good if it was starring right at you.

• Andrew permalink
        January 17, 2011 10:35 am

Honkey

• Vida Starr permalink
        August 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Where are the movies of rich black people helping other black people? Is it because black people don’t help themselves or each other, or is it because hollywood doesn’t want to tell those stories? Also, the Michael Oher was not ignorant, dumb or inarticulate as the movie portrayed him to be. He was already on the road to success and was a very hard worker and good student. But the movie heightened the contrast between him and the white family in order to show us how different blacks and whites are. Black ppl are dumb ignorant thugs and drug addicts and white people have come to save the children.

4. Robert permalink
    November 20, 2009 11:27 am

If you don’t like the movie then don’t go watch it. I guess Michael Oher should have just stayed on the streets of Memphis where I’m sure he really would have succeeded well in God knows what. There should be no argument that what the Tuohys did for Michael was not in his best interest and if you think otherwise you are a sick and sad human being. The contention here seems to be with making this story into a movie. Movies are made every single day some fictional and some based on actual events. This movie is based on a TRUE story the white lady DID pull the black kid off the street and provide him a better life. Nobody in Hollywood is trying to make this into a white lady hero story because it ACTUALLY HAPPENED and Hollywood did not have to make it up. By taking the position that movies should not glorify true life heroes you are suggesting that we should only see fictional utopian like movies that make everyone feel good about themselves. Maybe movies about Malcom X, MLK, or Rosa Parks should have never been made because it offended some white people who hate blacks. The truth is this people who have a problem with this movie being put on the big screen are terrified and hate the idea that the black community failed Michael Oher and it took a rich white family to pick him up off the street and take him in to give him the life every child deserves.

5. marmie permalink
    November 29, 2009 1:37 pm

yah but she was sincere

• arlene permalink
      December 1, 2009 12:27 am

my comment to all you racist people you should be worried about your own personal life that creating drama for yourself, and i believe that good things happen to good people, just because it didnt happen to you, your talking, im black and dont discriminated so take charge of your own responsibility and live life to the fullest, go and created something good for your life love peace and soul god is greater than all

6. Ivan Saenz permalink
    November 30, 2009 12:58 pm

People are not complaining that the real life actions by the family were racist, they are complaining the way in which the film portrays them are. Enough with the ‘oh well I guess he should have stayed on the streets’ because NO ONE is saying that. Simply that the movie only encourages and supports existing stereotypes and gender binaries. I am not white, nor black, and I could see that.

• karen permalink
      May 14, 2010 4:45 am

amen Ivan

• P.O.'d permalink
      September 27, 2010 9:34 pm

You said it Ivan. Deliberate oversimplification of the plot.

7. rick czechowicz permalink
    December 31, 2009 2:16 am

There is a clear line of distinction between racism and reality/truth. Critics state that even though the movie is based on a true story, it should not have been selected for a full length feature film because it is condescending to blacks and elevates whites to the role of hero and savior. It’s understandable how some might feel that it is also adds to reinforcement of existing stereo-types of the two races. In truth, some stereo-types are unfair and grossly inaccurate, while others are mere reflections of an undeniable reality. This film, in many respects, is an accurate portrayal of the black community today; a culture that for the past 20-30 years, has been in a perpetual state of free-fall. This is not a racist opinion, this is statistical fact. Just ask Bill Cosby. I’ve dedicated my second career to working with kids from the inner city who have been released from detention/correctional facilities. I am a white Christian male. The vast majority of my staff are white Christian males. We’re desperate to find and hire qualified men of color to join our staff. We can’t find any. Can’t even find part-time volunteeers at the local black churches. The two largest and most successful juvenile aftercare programs in the country were started by white Christian men and are staffed primarily by whites. Here’s the hard truth. Call it racist if you like as you’re displaying your short-sighted ignorance. The black leadership in this country hardly lift a finger to help their own troubled black youth. Nationally, locally, and everywhere in-between. It’s a cultural disgrace. So that leaves guys like me, and like the family portrayed in the movie, to fill in the gap. Instead of criticizing people for helping those in need, why not allow this movie to speak to the real problems of the black culture and how we might work together to solve them. And by the way.., to the author of the Huffington Post article..
    your an uninformed, clueless idiot. You may want to try getting out of your office once in awhile and get some real life experience before spouting any more nonsensical garbage.
    You don’t have a clue.

• Ken Pazdernik permalink
      February 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Czech,

You pretty much nailed it. Just like you use to hit those wicked line drives. Ken

8. Michele permalink
    January 5, 2010 5:13 pm

My husband took me to see The Blind Side this weekend, and we really enjoyed it. We are white Christians that teach in the inner city. I must say that there are stereotypes on both sides of the fence. Comments from a white man such as, “Did you know that there was a colored boy on your Christmas card,” may offend, but offense can also be taken from a black man saying, “You tappin’ that?” As if the only time a white person will do something nice for someone is when they are receiving something in return.

When the English teacher refused to just give Michael a grade that he had not earned, I felt that had a touch a realism. Teachers must be willing to go the extra mile, but that certainly does not include passing kids that don’t deserve it. He was very impressed with Michael’s essay, because he wrote it himself…it came from the heart as well as reflecting the reading material. I honestly believe that Mrs. Touhy could have used her pocketbook as clout to get Michael’s grade bumped, but she chose the high road instead. The school district in which I teach has repeatedly played students that were academically ineligible. Our kids get pushed through school and find that they cannot get into college due to poor test results, GPA, and class rank. Kudos to the filmmakers for mentioning that a 2.5 minimum GPA is required to even get a scholarship. Colleges do not want to waste their money on students that will fail, even if they are phenomenal athletes. We’re reinforcing the wrong priorities with our young folks.

It is important to note that Mr. and Mrs. Touhy can do whatever they want with their money. My family is of modest means, but I certainly can appreciate the fact that the Touhy’s did something wonderful with their wealth. As a Christian, I can bless others as I am blessed, but God has given me a free will. I am not forced by God, my church, or anyone else to help others. Mr. and Mrs. Touhy could have bought more restaurants with all the blessings that they instead chose to bestow upon Michael. Maybe the question we should be asking is, “Could someone put a pricetag on the love, nuture, support, and copious amounts of time that the Touhy family spent on Mr. Oher?”

9. Maggie permalink
    January 7, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi,
    I am really sorry and do not mean to offend anyone, but this movie is based on a true story. You may see it as racism, but its something that really did happen. If they changed to religions, races of those involved in the movie then it would no longer be based on a true story.

• Vida Starr permalink
      August 15, 2011 2:14 pm

The story is true, the telling of it was not. Michael Oher was not dumb or slow and inarticulate as the movie made it seem.

10. Mafer permalink
    January 13, 2010 7:52 pm

It’s a real story! I don’t think it’s racist!

11. John permalink
    January 16, 2010 11:34 pm

I watched the movie and liked it, and I was not looking to see anything but a good movie with no pre-conceived notions or issues. I had not heard or read anything about racism with the movie.

However, even though I did like the movie–I felt if I was a black man or woman I would have been offended at how they portrayed Oher. It raised a bit of an eyebrow that the 8 year old white boy had to teach Oher how to play football. But I particularly found the scene in which the Kathy Bates character fools Oher into believing there are ghosts under the football field to influence him into going to another school just seemed insulting.

Surely that scene is fictionalized–surely that did not happen that way–it was a way to bring humor–but I found it disturbing.

• January 17, 2010 2:49 pm

It is true that Michael’s tutor told him that that stuff was under the football field at UT according to the book. If that had any effect on his decision to go to Ole Miss- I doubt it. But it was certainly something she said.

• John permalink
        January 19, 2010 12:13 am

Interesting, I will just say she was racist then–to treat an adult black man as a fool like that, assuming she was serious.

• January 19, 2010 10:36 am

Well, interestingly she’s a liberal Democrat. I don’t think it shows anything about being a racist. More like it shows how little Oher knew about the world around him. Doesn’t have anything to do with race.

• RandomThoughts permalink
            January 19, 2010 10:56 am

In the movie she says she is a democrat – not a liberal democrat and not a conservative democrat. Labeling every democrat a “liberal democrat” is getting tired.

• John permalink
            January 20, 2010 1:29 am

Well, I guess the scene jarred me –the stereotype of ghosts scaring blacks was common in old movies. And the KKK was started with men wearing sheets and pretending to be ghosts of the Confederate dead to scare freed slaves in the South.

I am shocked if she said that–I am suprised that it was in a book. “Listen to what I said to Michael–let’s include this in your book.” The publisher says “yeah,” the movie producer says “yeah.” –several people could have said no. It’s not like he was 11–this was only about 4-5 years ago–he was an adult. And I’ll add, an articulate adult. One who says the movie was exaggerated.

Not trying to pick a bone–and I still like the movie. The Tueys are awesome. I wish they would adopt me.

• TruthHurts permalink
            March 24, 2010 1:12 am

The part about bodies under Neyland Stadium is true, ignorant black people…

12. Derek permalink
    January 20, 2010 7:15 pm

it’s amazing how many ignorant people there are in this forum. did you actually read what this guy was saying?
    no one’s saying that the true story was racist, it was a great thing she did. the point is that there are hundreds of these ‘make white people feel better’ and practically no movies made with the roles reversed. so, out of all the possible true stories where black people (or any minority) are the caring heroes, we always choose the one that alleviates the guilt of the white community. and of course he has to be 7 feet tall, 300 pounds, play football, never had a bed, have a crackhead mother, come from the ghetto, and be offered 40s.
    and you’re saying this guy’s racist by pointing this out?

• Michele permalink
      June 3, 2010 10:37 am

I’m suprised that anyone would make an issue of this movie being made. I understand that there are not as many movies with the roles reversed, but to question the judgment of movie studios that make films that you refer to as “make white people feel better,” when movie studios also create silly stuff such as big budget zombie productions is simply absurd.

13. Vincent permalink
    February 6, 2010 4:11 am

It’s not very Christian to call someone you disagree with a “low-life piece of trash.”

• Michele permalink
      March 8, 2010 2:49 pm

I agree that was not a very Christian remark. Keep in mind that Christians are held to a higher standard, because our standard-bearer is in fact Jesus the Christ. Another thing to ponder is that Christians are human, and Jesus set the example. It is impossible to completely live up to his way of life, because he was perfect. I find it interesting that Christians do not seem to be allowed to make mistakes by the general public. We’re viewed as hypocrites, when we make any error no matter how small. The Bible says not to judge, because we will be held to the same judgment and with the same amount of mercy that we extend to others. I know I’m a sinner. If I wasn’t, I would not have needed Jesus to save me in the first place. Sometimes, I feel that people call Christians hypocrites so that they do not have to answer for their own misdeeds. They use the “hypocritical” Christian as their excuse for not accepting the Lord, not attending church, or avoiding Christians in general. We can only try to do the best we can, ask God to forgive us when we screw up, and continue to lean on him for understanding.

• P. Venkataya permalink
      May 14, 2010 10:42 pm

If that is the only thing you got out of the movie, maybe you should watch it again por read the book. This was and is a true story of maybe only about five years ago. I am only concerned about the fact that there are many in the world today who see this type of scenario each and every day of there lives, but so busy in their comfort zones, they either chose to over look or pretend it is not in fron and go on their merry way. WHy is it because its this movie can not people just watch the movie, except that it happened, and move on. I personally like to see people go out of their way as Mr as Mrs. Tuley did. they were at the right place and the right time when this boy needed someone to care. It just happened to be them. Realistically this happens alot with children, and it is just awesome to see that a few make it out of their past into much better situations. Why does everyone have to judge? Will we ever just accept that there are many who do good deeds whether in public or behind closed doors, and that will always be their choice. It says in the bible whatever you do, you do in secret so it does n ot look as if you are only doing it so others may see you. Try it once and I bet you will continue.

14. Bristle permalink
    March 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I’m so glad others feel the same way I do about this movie. I’m really irked that people think it’s amazing; shocking; wowing; over-the-top; stupendous – that a wealthy, white family could actually bring in a black boy from poverty and give him a place to grow. “Oh, what a MIRACLE!”

If you step back and look at the picture, the picture does change. People should help people who need help. Rich people should help people in need even more.

The generosity that is required of us should not be looked upon as a MIRACLE. Ever, and espescially despite what color the people are. Come on.

15. Amber permalink
    April 1, 2010 10:43 am

Ya’ll are ridiculous. I did enjoy Sandra’s character in the movie, but when I watched it my main focus was on Michael and how awesome it was that he made something of himself. Not how great the family was for helping him. This movie was great and not racist. It’s about real life.

• P. Venkataya permalink
      May 14, 2010 10:50 pm

So true Amber. Like you I was looking at Michael also. It may have been God’s plan for him all along. Thanks to the family who stepped in at the right time to help him out. They were indeed, awesome. Excellent dipiction of life on the other side of the tracks. Its truly unfortunate that the black men hanging out did not have anything good to say just getting him in to picj his brain, talk bad about his guardian, get him a 40, and then try to take advantae of him. I guess showing that you have a gun is a big thing? He did exactly what I would have done. Disrespecting Michael because you do not like that I am no longer living where you live was wrong. They were all up to no good and they if not most died in the end. Also, I believe it might have been one or all of these men who may have thrown his father off the bridge because he could not offer any information aboutNichael or his son. There will always be haters in the world not happy with where we are or what we are doing or where we are heading. The father wanted better for his son and his friend, and taking them to a christian school was a step in the right direction to give him better than he might had had in his life.

• Ley permalink
        February 20, 2012 8:04 pm

That’s exactly one of the scenes that irked me. the movie is supposed to be from the book and in the book, it’s not a black man who makes a remark like that but rather a white kid that was on some team Michael’s school was playing. the fact that it need to be changed to someone black making all those demeaning joke about Michael and the women in his adopted family sickened me. someone already said this previously but it’s not the story I’m against, it’s the telling of it. it’s racist and very dangerous because the racism is so subtle that it’s viewed as something normal.

• Michele permalink
      June 3, 2010 10:46 am

As a school teacher, I’m very glad that you recognized the fact that Michael’s Oher’s success is primarily Michael’s accomplishment. The Touhy’s were simply the vehicle that God used to assist Michael. I teach teenagers, and I seem time and time again how much the self-motivation and effort of the student themself ends up being the catalyst for success.

16. CowboyJohn-Brad permalink
    April 6, 2010 7:25 pm

Of course,”The Blind Side” is VERY racist.Despite an African-American President,the black male movie image is nearly as bad as it was in the 50’s,during segregation’s last gasps.Consider:In ’69,former NFL star Jim Brown
    studded buxom white Latina babe Raquel Welch in the movie “One Hundred Rifles,”the first inter-racial love scene in the movies.Two generations later,black men are frequently depicted as buffoons,pederasts who molest their daughters,”The Colour Purple,”‘Precious” and other releases(of course,black women are responsible for those two outrages.far from unusual as black women think themselves black men’s superiors,often doing the
    white bigot’s job of denigrating the black man for him0,and of course,sex-less sidekicks as in the 80’s black-white buddy pictures.
    To close,I say that as a Hollywood leading man handsome black man,I view almost no television or movies due to the dearth of big-and small-screen roles for us older-I’m 56-life-size Brad dolls-from 1970-’72,when Mattel Toys,the three dolls’ manufacturer/innovator,discontinued him,Brad was Barbie’s then-boyfriend Ken’s
    handsome black buddy-and because I wish to launch a VERY BELATED acting career,I’m about to begin work on a novel which,upon its completion,I’ll pitch to Hollywood producers,one of whom will hopefully agree
    to turn it into a screen play with Yours Truly as the lead character.
    So,yes,’The Blind Side” IS racist,but so is Hollywood these days.(Name the hot movie actress with a black
    husband or boyfriend.And they call themselves “liberals?”WHAT HYPOCRITICAL,BIGOTED BROADS!

17. julie permalink
    April 28, 2010 10:04 pm

So your saying that black people should stick to dating black people in hollywood? isnt that kind of racist? should you be able to date who you want and not be hassled for it? It seems that you cant have a movie with a black actress or actor without the movie being deemed racist.
    He wasnt deemed as ignorant or rude or anything like that in this film. He was a smart kid and ligitimatley taught the family things they needed to know. He wasnt a weak or currupt bad charactor. Its a true story. It checks out. The people exist. would you tell the Christian family that took in the real boy that they shouldnt have done what they did because by doing so they are being racist biggots? It sucks that most of the people in the poor part of town were black, and it sucks that its the black kids that are usually in projects in inner cities. its somthing thats not right, but for now its true and it needs to be changed. Im intersested to hear what the politically correct version of the blind side would be. However I wont come back because Id rather not be an internet troll. I just wanted the origonall author to know that there is at least one person who sees how crazy this accusation is.
    I liked that the christian family wasnt percived as a jerky judgmental family that hates humanity. If you want to talk about steriotyps in holywood theres another big one. anyways. see ya later. I know for a fact that there are more like me, even just basing it on the ticket sales and awards. Give the movie a break.

18. P. Venkataya permalink
    May 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Men and women in and around the world who just do not get it, nor did it have anything to do with the fact that it was a white family who took in a black man. It was the fact that a mother could see a child in the street, in the rain, who she found said he was going to the gym, when it was closed, but h e needed it because it was warm. At that moment, she made a decision that no child should be left out in the cold with no place to go, no bed to sleep in. You see it comes down to the fact that we could all continue to live the way we are going, or we can open our hearts, minds and eyes, and think in this world that we live in there will be many opportunities where we can walk out of our comfort zones, and just offer a hand to whomever because we see that they have a need. Maybe we will not be able to help with all of their needs, but whatever we can do – we should just take a stand a just does it. Of course, it is not because she or her family is Christian, but it’s “because it is the right thing to do.” I was not appalled to fin raciest men, or their children in this movie because everyone and there brother, know that in Mississippi and surrounding towns, people have lived and grown up hating and despising people of other races and colors. When you are any of these things, Ill-bred, ignorant, unaware, uninformed, badly informed, rude, ill mannered, bad-mannered impolite, ill-bred, inconsiderate, boorish men and women, or children and learn from the people who raised you or who are your elders, they are not smart, intelligent, people, but individuals who have grown up and will continued to grow up not knowing that this world is a unique and beautiful places filled with individuals who will not look or sound like we do. But they represent the many colors of the rainbow that all live together in a country that allows people to come and live her because it’s a world of free men and women raising families. What you do not know is that if you are like this it comes from not opening your heart, eyes or minds to those differences that are around you. This country will never be like Hitler’s all blonde, blue-eyes, with white or pale translucent skin. I absolutely loved and can appreciate her williness to do a movie of this type. She is an A-class actress! Love her.

19. Gene Dasher permalink
    June 4, 2010 5:03 am

FYI…the body farm at the University of Tennessee is located a few miles from the school, but the anthropology department is, in fact, located in Neyland Stadium. The bodies aren’t stored under the field as mentioned in the film, but rather, under the bleachers…hundreds of them.

20. annie permalink
    June 14, 2010 7:09 pm

The Blind Side is a wonderful story on
    both sides; black and white. How could you argue with a life saved like Michael’s? What would have happened to him? God used an attractive white rich Southefn woman to step in
    and help him. Who wouldn’t welcome that kind of rescue?
    I wish more people could cross the color barrier and help all the Michael’s of this world. Those that see this as racist…shame on you. You are prideful, angry and mad that this man got something that you didn’t. With an attitude like this you will go nowhere.

21. BlackCowboyStudBrett1953 permalink
    September 3, 2010 10:22 am

Let’s see..in ’69,legendary NFL RB Jim Brown and Raquel Welch are boyfriend-girlfriend in “One Hundred
    Rifles”,which culminated in Hollywood’s initial inter-racial love scene.Forty years later,with a black U.S Presi-
    dent(and untold numbers of black professionals and business executives),we need a wealthy white “liberal”
    lady to take in a seemingly cognitively-challenged black teen-ager and teach him to play football in bigoted
    rural Tennessee(while the young man is warned of the danger which might befall him should he become in-
    volved with a white girl) in “The Blind Side???”WOW!!!Talk about turning back the racial clock!!!Did the
    “Tea Party” fund this white liberal piece of crap?Oh,and I could see the Sandra Bullock character(or Sandy
    herself apparently,given that racist biker scum-bag Jesse James is her husband)with a black husband or boyfriend.YEECCCHHHH!!!!What next,a movie praising “The Greaseman?”

22. Trouble 20 year old permalink
    May 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I used to like that movie until all of Leigh Anne Touhy’s friends hated her for adopting a black teenager named Michael Oher. I don’t like the black people at hurt village, Leigh Anne’s white luncheon friends, or some black lady with short, black hair. They are such airheaded sinners and so unchristian. I’m prejudice against people who are drug dealers, racist people, mean people who rip innocent people off, and other people who are too rude; just like I am prejudice against the too nice people.

23. Thegoodman permalink
    May 24, 2011 1:13 pm

I realize this thread is all but dead but I just came across it…

Brett, I don’t know you but given that your name is Brett and the tone of your words, I assume you are a white guy. I too am a white guy and I was once in your position. I am ashamed of your ignorance but this is a great opportunity for you to learn a lot about racial issues in our country.

This is the classic “every poor black person needs some good old white guidance to make it out of the ghetto” story. White people everywhere love this bullshit because deep down in side most whites truly believe it. “Well if only those blacks could start being more like us, then they wouldn’t have all those problems…”

Its an outrageously racist story to market and sell. Like the Huffington Post author stated, what did we learn about Mike Oher? Nearly nothing. This movie was about the supposed benevolence of the rich white family that took Oher in.

The true story of Mike Oher is amazing and I think it is terrific that he found a good home and was able to have a good college and pro career in football.

The hollywood story of Mike Oher sells because white America eats up this racist crap and will shell out big dollars to watch it.

24. BlackCowboyStudBrett1953 permalink
    June 11, 2011 10:21 am

First of all,Thegoodman,given that my maternal grandfather,William H. Turner,pitched two years-1916 and 1917-for the NEGRO LEAGUE Chicago American Giants,two cousins are MLB Hall-Of-Fame right-handed
    pitcher Ferguson Jenkins,another is Tony Dungy,first African American Super Bowl(XLI)-winning Head Coach-aganist fellow African American Lovie Smith,and yet another is former New Orleans Saints running back Rueben Mayes [to say nothing of my ebony-hued skin],I AM AS FAR FROM WHITE AS IT GETS!!!Secondly,as for my ignorance,my IQ is between 147 and 165 (genius level,buddy boy!!!)
    Thirly,you should be ashamed that you’re such a bigot that you assume that a black man who writes legibly and intelligibly MUST BE WHITE!!!!
    Finally,Michael Oher is an EXCELLENT NFL defensive lineman from some VERY straitened circumstances.I respect his overcoming poverty to become an NFL star,but “The Blind Side” is STILL a racist movie because it depicts Oher as a mental defective who must be rescued by do-gooding Southern
    “liberals.”(who nevertheless warm him away from white chicks.) Sounds stereotypical to me,dude!!!

• Might Want to Reread... permalink
      March 3, 2012 10:46 pm

Ummm…..I’m fairly certain he was talking to the author of this article…named Brett….

25. LEIGH permalink
    December 23, 2011 8:02 pm

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you really take a great story and twist it into something racist?????? Yes white “rich” people did a great thing & because that person they SAVED happened to be “black” they are wrong? HAHAHAHA. wow. do people always need something to complain about against white people? Last time i checked its not white people that have their own channel called white entertainment television? HELL TO THE NO because black people, wait excuse me african americans would freak the F*** out over that & call us racist. But black people can have their own televisiton channel BET? AND its not white people that sit on their ass all day doing nothing & taking MONEY FROM OTHER PEOPLE THAT WORK THEIR ASS OFF. dont even get me started,K and find something else to B**** about. thank you!

26. February 14, 2012 12:05 pm

I loved this movie a great deal. I also noticed that they went way off the road with the racism such as oher being retarded while also being black. What people need to understand is the story itself is about a white women deciding to help out a young man who was in distress that just so happened to be black. She wanted to help him and I’m sure if it was a black woman who saw a white kid she’d do the same. The world today is a sad one if people still can’t accept another person based on color or race. The fact is the only reason why things are the way they are now is because people of different races have different ideas on whats important. I know thinking like this is idealistic but it’s so simple that most people will say it wont work. The most hardest things to find are in the most obvious places. And that’s how the world works. We see things that are to good to be true so we walk away from them. Anyway instead of looking at the movie and the racism they put in it we should look at story itself which shows us there are good people in this world still. Maybe only few far in between but still there are some which gives me some hope that we can still move forward in the right direction.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )