GOP Primary Gets Real Exciting, Real Early

February 13, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Alan Nunnelee, Angela McGlowan, Henry Ross, MS-01

I thought now would be a good time to look over the past week in the GOP primary in the First District. Even though we are more than three months from the June election, it looks like things are starting to heat up early. Will big stories continue to leak into the news every week? We can’t tell right now, but let’s look at the week that was.

Eight days ago Angela McGlowan was making headlines for speaking at the National Tea Party Convention. She was getting nothing but positive press for fiery, partisan speeches. We posted her speech from last Friday, along with previous Tea Party speeches she had made in Washington and Tupelo. At about that same time, I was being accused of supporting McGlowan.

Then on Monday she officially became the third GOP candidate in the MS-01 primary, receiving national headlines in places like the Wall Street Journal. Besides adding her celebrity appeal from her years in DC and with Fox News, let’s be honest, we don’t see too many conservative, African-American females running in GOP primaries too often. It was a very intriguing story.

The following day the excitement and headlines that McGlowan had enjoyed turned very negative when a clip of her August appearance on the Gallo radio show hit YouTube. In what may be a campaign killer, she expressed support for a bill requiring federal gun registration. Soon enough, the video hit Mississippi blogs, and then national conservative blogs like RedState and Free Republic were linking to it. Politico also picked the story up (and even mentioned our blog).

McGlowan went into damage control mode sharply stating her support for the Second Amendment, trying to backtrack from the Gallo interview, saying she didn’t know what the bill was, arguing she was offering entertainment value, and even explaining that she was playing devils advocate. Oh yea, she also fired the first shot of the campaign blasting Alan Nunnelee for supposedly spreading the video.

Nunnelee, along with Henry Ross, didn’t personally mention McGlowan but were pleased to let you know about their support for the Second Amendment seemingly happy to let McGlowan try to work her way out of this.

So where do we go from here?

As of right now, Nunnelee is still the front-runner and by a long distance at this point. I don’t want to call McGlowan’s Gallo interview the end to her campaign, but she has a long way to go to win back voters credibility. This issue will not go away, and I don’t know if there is anything McGlowan can do about it.

As for Henry Ross, he has a lot of work to do to try to become a serious threat to Nunnelee. He is working the campaign trail, but has a long way to go and a short time to get there. The task for Ross is to come up with some way to make the headlines and convince voters why they should vote him over Nunnelee. But before that, I would try to win over McGlowan supporters who may be anti-Nunnelee for some reason but are also worried about McGlowan at this point.

1. Amanda permalink
    February 14, 2010 2:54 am

“The task for Ross is to come up with some way to make the headlines and convince voters why they should vote him over Nunnelee. But before that, I would try to win over McGlowan supporters who may be anti-Nunnelee for some reason but are also worried about McGlowan at this point.”
    -Are you serious? McGlowan supporters who may be anti-Nunnelee? I have to say that pretty much anyone who supports Ross or McGlowan are definitely anti-Nunnelee and I can tell you a couple reasons why.
    1)Voting record- If you have never looked at it, please take the time to do so, you can find it at project votesmart.
    2)He is a career politician- 15 years in the state senate…enough said

• Lauren permalink
      February 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Career politicians are not a problem to me. We need “elder statesmen” in the legislature who know the rules and procedure backwards and forwards and who have gained wisdom over the years. In what other field would someone be discredited for having 15 years experience?

• Amber permalink
        February 15, 2010 6:58 pm

I know I just thought the other day Hey my gynecologist has only been practicing 15 years. She obviously hasn’t got a clue what she is doing. Great point!!!!

2. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    February 14, 2010 12:46 pm

McGlowan is in damage control for sure now. To stoop so low as to pretend that someone is trying to attack her at a campaign speech. I was recently reading another blog and just from reading the blogs on that site it was all a set-up. Wow! The man accused of encroaching on McGlowan was asked, by a McGlowan supporter, to come early and ask questions. Once the “assailant” arrived the friend who invited him stood around with camera in hand and waited to snap a picture of “the attack”. The man who did the inviting was on the site as well as the supposed “assailant”. I found that very interesting.
    I hope this is as low as McGlowan is willing to go because this is pretty low.

3. colonel reb permalink
    February 14, 2010 7:41 pm

please post the link to that blog about angela setting it up. Pretty interesting.

4. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    February 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey Colonel Reb go to the link I have listed below and scroll down to see the blogs. Just read the blogs for the past day or so. The players will not be hard to identify as they are pretty much the only three that have been posting for the last couple of days. Two of them seem to be ganging up on the one that seems to have been set up by the other two.
    I am not implicating anything or anybody in anything just go there and read it for yourself.
    Their blogging has turned very heated and the southeast regional manager of Smart Girl politics has recently had to intervene and override the manager of that site in calling down the fighting, as you will see.
    Hurry because I will bet that the regional manager will make the local mod. delete some of the more damming comments. http://smartgirlpolitics.ning.com/group/mississippimagnolias

5. James T permalink
    February 15, 2010 2:23 pm

What is with you people who have come up with the idea that if someone has been in politics for fifteen years that makes them unqualified?
    I would like for someone to please explain to me why someone being an incumbent is a bad thing?
    Look at what we have for a President in our country right now. He ran on just such a platform, lets seen those politicians out of the oval office it is time for hope and change.
    I like the idea that, when I am studying a politician to vote for, they have a proven track record. We may not agree on evey issue but at least there is some substance there. Personally I believe that both Ross and Nunnelee have the skills and knowledge neccessary to go to Washington and represent Dist. 1 well. I came to that conclusion by looking at the results of decisions that they made while in elected office. Sure both made mistakes in my opinion but, I agree with both candidates more than I disagree. This is how we make an informed decision of who to vote for. Not by merely looking to see who has incumbant by there names.
    If we go with what seems to be some of y’alls way of thinking everytime someone comes up for re-election they should be voted out simply because they were already elected and now are unqualified because if we don’t vote them out now they are going to be a career politician.
    I even heard Mrs. McGlowan say that she was for outing incumbent politicians. Really?
    So lets use that logic to ask Mrs. McGlowan the following question.
    Mrs. McGlowan in two years are you going to run agian or are you just going to step aside because you too are now an incumbant? What do think her answer would be?
    I guess she is trying to out wit us “dumb ole Missippi foke” with this way of thinking. You see if she succeeds in making us think that “incumbants” and “politicians” are inherently un-qualified then that makes her the only qualified candidate. Ross and Nunnelee have both served terms as elected officials.

6. Amber permalink
    February 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Nunnelee and Ross are both good candidates and would represent us well. I want McGlowan to step out of this race. She does not care about the values of the people in MS-01. She is off the reservation and will only bennefit Childers. I really thought at this time we would send T.C. home but I think if she continues in the race he is destined to win. The people she has chosen to surround herself with are bizarre to say the least. Reading other sites that these people comment on, they are the same fruit loops that she was refer in her famous gun tirade(stock piling weapons). Democrates are uniting to vote for her because she is the weakest and most unelectable candidate. I know McGlowan owns.63 acres in Lafayette county, has she voted here in the last five years, and does she pay MS income tax? Ms. McGlowan please step aside.

7. Steve permalink
    February 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I have been doing some homework on this Tea Party Movement. What I understand is that they are against Nunnelee because he is supported by the some leaders of the GOP that they do not feel are good people. Also one person told me that the Party Leaders are not supposed to support any candidate before the primary. Also they view Nunnelee as being complacent in his job and not a real fighter. He has not accomplished much in his 15 years in the job. I looked at his website and it did not give me much info on what he has done.

• James T permalink
      February 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Good job Steve! It looks like you are trying to make an informed decision.
      As for the party leaders supporting a candidate I think that may be one persons opinion and not a rule.
      Party leaders on both sides of the isle have candidates that they support just as we do. There agian we must be careful to not hold our politicians to a different standard than us. We must keep in mind that often times the party leaders know more about the candidates sooner than we do often times allowing them to make up there mind before we even really know who all of the candidates are. Still that is there decision and we must not allow our decision to be slanted by this.
      You know, come to think of it, it is not just Dem. and Republican party leaders that are guilty of making up there minds early in a race because the Tea Party leadership seems to be jumping on the McGlowan bandwagon already. So I guess the only time you hear complaining on this subject is when you are talking to supporters of people who are not getting the early support.
      Agian I say good job Steve keep searching for the answers to your questions!

8. Amber permalink
    February 15, 2010 6:20 pm

I hear people use that phrase “he hasn’t done much.” What does that mean? Did he single handedly save the great state of Mississippi from complete failure by voting for the cigarette tax and hospital bed tax? No, but I would rather he implement those taxes to help pay for Medicaid than to raise income tax. When you say someone didn’t do much in what context are you speaking? I personally would be okay if tobacco was taxed to the point a package of cigarettes cost $20. Everyone gripes about tax increases but what about the root of the problem, Medicaid and other social programs that we are suppose to just keep paying for without ever getting anything out of? By the way where was the Tea Party movement two years ago? I know where the Republican party was and those Tea Partiers were not helping them.

9. Steve permalink
    February 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I try to keep in good shape so I don’t smoke – cigarette tax means nothing to me but it does to some of my friends. Did Nunnelee do anything to help offset the costs of Medicaid – did he introduce any bills to help this? He is working with the Governor to balance the budget so does that means that he should be coming up with solutions on how to do this – if so – that might help us/me understand him. I cannot find his voting record – does any know how to find that and does it show what bills he has introduced?

• Alcorn County Man permalink
      February 16, 2010 2:04 am

Keep up the good work chef.
      Keep asking the tough questions you will find the answers you seek.
      I am just wondering what will be on the menu for today?

10. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    February 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Steve Grammy Amanda has said his record can be found at “project votesmart”. Just do a google search for it.

11. Steve permalink
    February 16, 2010 9:56 am

Thank you I am half way through the categories. It is informative. My buddy and I started our own business in when we came home and now money is tight all over. It would be nice to find a candidate whose answer to things was not to raise taxes. How about cutting government programs or government jobs. If you really want to work you can find something or do what I did. Government has to cut us a break. I am tired of paying for other people.