MS-04: Palazzo Begins Congressional Bid

February 16, 2010
tags: 2010 House, MS-04, Steven Palazzo
by Staff

State Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-Biloxi) sent out a press release today announcing his candidacy for the Fourth District one week after making his intentions known on Gallo.

We have made the appropriate changes to the 2010 list.

Press release:

Republican State Representative Steven M. Palazzo officially announced Tuesday, February 9th, on Supertalk MS’s Paul Gallo Show that he will seek Mississippi’s Fourth District U.S. House of Representatives seat currently held by Democrat Incumbent Gene Taylor.

Palazzo, a Mississippi Gulf Coast native, businessman, and recognized community leader who has also served in the Marine Corps Reserves and MS Army National Guard, enters the Congressional race concerned with the direction of the current leadership in the nation’s capital as well as recognizing the impact the politics of the day has had on the people of Mississippi.

“Over the past 3 years, I have become increasingly concerned with the leadership of our country, including our Congressional Representative in the Fourth District. With double digit unemployment, entire local industries at risk, our national deficit at a record high, and our troops still at war, I can no longer sit on the sidelines, and I know more needs to be done to protect our local community and our nation,” Rep. Palazzo said. Palazzo does not enter this race lightly. He seeks to help set a new direction for Mississippi and America despite the challenges we are now facing.

“After long discussions with family and friends over the issues facing our community and with a considerable amount of prayer, I made the decision to run for Congress. As a husband and father, I am running to provide our children with a brighter future. For the first time in my life, I am concerned that their future is in doubt as a result of the bitter partisanship that permeates Washington and the same-old big government approach taken by too many in Congress,” Rep. Palazzo said.

Once in Congress, Palazzo plans to leverage his background and common-sense to create good-paying jobs, fight every step of the way for South Mississippi families, seniors, veterans and for the small businesses that form the backbone of our economy. Palazzo said, “Using my experience in the public and private sector, I will work nonstop towards ensuring that solutions to our problems are enacted now, not later. I will not give you excuses for what can’t be done but instead will strive everyday for real results that benefit every resident in the Fourth District. My campaign and my service in Congress will operate under the overriding principle of PUTTING MISSISSIPPI FIRST.”

I will make Mississippians proud and I invite you to join with me as we set a new direction for the Fourth District and for America.”

1. TEGERDINE SUPPORTER permalink
    February 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Above says: “For the first time in my life, I am concerned that their future is in doubt as a result of the bitter partisanship that permeates Washington and the same-old big government approach taken by too many in Congress,”

For the first time in his life he is concerned?
    reminds me of Like Michelle Obama, For the first time she is proud of America.
    I think it is the corruption not the partisanship that has caused the fall of America to this point.

To bad he didn’t feel concern and doubt about 10 months ago and led the way.

I’m excited to support Joe Tegerdine who saw a need last APRIL, 2009 and prayed, spoke to his family and committed to work hard, without the support of of the big party machine for the people of Mississippi.

Wow. Joe encourages me to see that the direction of America can truly recover with leaders like him.

2. County Justice permalink
    February 16, 2010 6:27 pm

what got me was when he said,

“fight every step of the way for South Mississippi families bla bla bla…”

To late. He missed the first fight. He refused to enter fight until the last minute. His work ethic and ambition level does not impress me and I question his motives and ability to serve in his capacity even today. Mr. Late to arrive today will be late to arrive later as well. The best prediction of future behavior is past behavior. He wants to step into the race when another has ambitiously run laps for Mississippi?
    I’m watching the leader. The Leader Joe Tegerdine and I will vote and support him because he is not afraid to work tirelessly for Mississippi’s 4th district Christian conservatives.

3. Mike permalink
    February 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Below is Palazzo’s vote at the Mississippi State Legislature website on eminent domain reform in 2009. Palazzo sided with Haley Barbour (former RNC Chairman) in stating that the right of the State of Mississippi to seize privately owned land, via eminent domain, for use in private development projects such as the Nissan plant in Canton and the Toyota plant in Blue Springs near Tupelo shall not be infringed. This means that when it comes to the rights of large corporations and the rights of your State Government, the Corporation and the State have all the rights to your private property and you have none. You have the right to get off your land if it gets in the cross-hairs of a private development project in which the State is interested.

In 2009 Palazzo voted against Eminent Domain Reform.

Here’s the text of bill

Here’s the history of the bill as it passed through the legislature

On February 2, 2009 Palazzo voted against the Eminent Domain Reform bill. The vote was 3 NO votes to 119 Yes votes.

Palazzo was 1 of 3 legislators to vote against the bill. 119 other legislators voted in favor of protecting your property rights. What a bi-partisan effort!

On March 11, 2009 Palazzo again votes against the bill.

Palazzo once again was 1 of 3 legislators in the House to vote against the bill, with 119 voting in favor of the legislation protecting your property rights. The other two reps who voted ‘NO’ with Palazzo were not the same two that voted ‘NO’ the first time on February 2nd. This means Palazzo was the ONLY LEGISLATOR in the house to vote ‘NO’ for Eminent Domain Reform BOTH TIMES it came up for a vote prior to Haley Barbour’s veto of the bill.

Palazzo was in the 2% minority which stood up for the rights of the State Government to force you off your land, via eminent domain, for private development. Does that sound like something a conservative statesman with respect for the U.S. Constitution, private property, and our Founding Fathers would do? Does this sound like something a man would do if he was attempting to “ensure that the Bill of Rights and the principles espoused by our Founding Fathers are restored?”

Pallazo is going to be PUTTING MISSISSIPPI FIRST so long as you aren’t a land owner standing in the way of a private development project with the MMEIA.

4. Biloxi Conservative permalink
    February 16, 2010 10:54 pm

He did get in too late and it looks like the establishment picked him even if they did not. That is one reason I am supporting http://www.joetegerdine.com

5. Matt permalink
    February 16, 2010 11:45 pm

6. mike2 permalink
    February 17, 2010 5:46 pm

“Matt permalink
    Well, it certainly looks as if the “Tegerdine Comment Army” is out in full swing today.”

OR, I guess you can say, it looks like the Palazzo folks are way behind, or not informed yet about blogs such as this, or don’t care.

7. Roy permalink
    April 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I’m surprised that the Reps. are even trying again for this seat they have tried for 20 years and failed to me it is just a dog and pony show the Reps. are going after the 1st district full force but the 4th district they are not simply put Gene Taylor love him or hate him will remain in the House for at least another two years. Reason being is that Joe Tegerdine is not from Mississippi is registered to vote in Florida and the other candidate will not have the support from the party that he needs.