Did Palazzo Just Put MS-04 In Play?

February 17, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Gene Taylor, MS-04, Steven Palazzo

State Rep. Steven Palazzo’s entrance into the Fourth District Congressional race for the seat currently held by Rep. Gene Taylor has made Republicans cautiously optimistic that the popular, twenty year House veteran could be taken down in November. Taylor has easily won re-election since first winning a special election in 1989, including surviving the GOP tsunami of 1994. And in 2008, he won 75 percent of the vote. Needless to say, defeating Taylor would not be easy.

But, when you consider the current political atmosphere combined with the R+20 PVI of the district Taylor represents, some Republicans think they have a fighting chance. “In an anti-Democrat environment like the one we’re seeing now, we are seeing some in other states who take the right votes almost all the time and are still suffering from their party affiliation. Having a D next to your name in a district that went 67% for McCain and 68% for Bush ’04 is a liability, especially now, and even in the South where the party lines are more blurred,” said one Republican source.

Of course, defeating Taylor is going to take more then just the environment- or even the GOP leanings of his district (as he has showed many times in the past). The GOP scored a top recruit last summer in North Mississippi when state Sen. Alan Nunnelee announced his candidacy for MS-01, and they feel landing Palazzo was another major win for the party’s recruiting efforts. My source said he was “optimistic” about Palazzo, and called him the strongest challenger that the GOP has put up against Taylor in some time.

But Palazzo still has his own challenges, and has work to do to make this a competitive race. “Right now, Palazzo’s challenge is building his ID, raising money, and making a bigger name for himself in the Fourth District. In order to seriously challenge Taylor, he will need to run an extremely strong grassroots campaign,” our source said.

It’s no secret that Joe Tegerdine, who is also running in the GOP primary, has been courting the grassroots, Tea Party voters than any Republican will need to win a general election. Palazzo needs to lock those voters up right away.

As of right now, most political prognosticators call this seat Safe Democrat. It’s hard to argue with that. But Republicans do feel that Palazzo will give Taylor his strongest challenge in years, and will make a serious effort to win this seat. We will learn more in the coming months whether Taylor is indeed vulnerable and whether Palazzo is the man to unseat him.

1. Matt permalink
    February 17, 2010 10:16 pm

So far I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by Palazzo’s rollout. No website, no Twitter, no initial campaign events, which had led to very little media coverage. He’s already made an announcent on Gallo, then sent out a press release a few days later. Is he going to “announce” his candidacy yet a third time with an event or two? I’m just asking.

I wonder if Palazzo has anyone on board to manage his efforts. And I wonder if the NRCC is going to wade in as they have in MS-1…if the NRCC gets behind the nominee to take out Childers and doesn’t put the same amount of money and effort to beat Taylor…well that will be pretty embarrasing to either Palazzo or Tegerdine.

2. Mike permalink
    February 18, 2010 6:40 am

I’ll be voting for Joe Tegerdine in the GOP primary. Joe is a real conservative.

Palazzo’s vote against Eminent Domain Reform was all the proof I needed to know the guy has no business representing this district. It’s no surprise that the GOP would hand pick ‘one of their own’ to run against Taylor… someone they know they can count on to play party politics.

3. AJ Thornton permalink
    February 18, 2010 8:30 am

Wow. Joe’s been at it for nine months now. No mention of him then, no mention of him now. He has almost 400 volunteers, 40+ committee members, has attended several packed town hall meetings and yet… no mention of him. Great job media. You would think that the lessons of Jason Chaffetz would teach you all, but apparently you fail. You fail just like the incumbent in Jason’s district did when he had the same momentum Joe has. You’ll be very surprised when Joe wins the Republican primary and you’ll be even more surprised when he tops Taylor. And guess what? He will have done without the big party machine and he WON’T HAVE TO ANSWER TO THEM. DO we really want ANOTHER party line, establishment candidate? I vote no on Palazzo and yes on Tegerdine. By a lot.

4. Taniqua permalink
    February 18, 2010 9:13 am

I met Joe Tegerdine a long time ago working hard for the people in district 4. Joe has undivided goals for America and I want to see him in the halls of Congress fighting tooth and nail for the future of AMERICANS. I want a patriot in there fighting for our rights. Joe Tegerdine had a standing room only town hall meetings more the 300 people and now is the time to take back Ameirca. With People like Joe it will be done! I want to work hard for the one willing to work long and hard for Americas future.

5. C. Hill permalink
    February 18, 2010 9:22 am

I guess I am confused as to why “the Mississippi Republican establishment” is suddenly so enamored with Mr. Palazzo. Other than the fact that he is one of “them”–the establishment. If Taylor is to be defeated (and, oh, yes, I believe he should be), it will not be by another establishment candidate. Especially one who just voted to cause economically strapped Mississippi residents to pay for a doctor’s visit in order to get a $6.00 Sudafed prescription. Once again, the establishment punishes the honest masses instead of dealing with the few dishonest (who will find some way around the roadblock). Especially one who votes against the reform of imminent domain to ensure that the “government”–who is “much smarter than the masses and knows better”–will be able to take away the property of “the little people” and use it “for the common good.”
    No. Once again, whenever possible, the Republicans will screw it up. We are tired of the handpicked establishment candidates–Republican or Democrat.

6. Mother of Two permalink
    February 18, 2010 10:06 am

I am so excited about the momentum that Joe Tegerdine has worked so hard to build. It crosses all barriers, which I really like to see. I think knowing someone cares enough to work that hard for so long for their future unites people. I think Joe Tegerdine will win with his hard work and unwavering character. I like it that he won’t bend to the Republican Machine when it means compromising what is best for Mississippians. How Refreshing, a candidate REALLY for the people.

7. Conservatives for America permalink
    February 18, 2010 11:35 am

When someone jumps into the race just before the deadline I question their motives and abilities. Especially knowing the one he is going into the primaries with is a real conservative willing to work so hard for the people in the 4th district. Joe Tegerdine has the energy of 10 men and the direction of a real patriot.

8. hoping for a Tegerdine win permalink
    February 18, 2010 11:45 am

I heard Joe at a town hall meeting Monday night in Dibervile and I must say I was so impressed. Standing room only! People from all walks of life united together taking their time to invest in their future by learning about the issues and supporting Joe Tegerdine.

9. Tea Party Leader permalink
    February 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Palazzo is late to the race. Joe Tegerdine entered the race in May and came out of a local Tea Party. He has worked hard to build up a support base of over 400 volunteers, 40 committee members and has garnered the support of nearly every Tea Party group in the 4th District of Mississippi. It is with their support that he will defeat Palazzo in the primary election and will then beat Taylor in the mid-terms. Wake up, media. You’re following the wrong guy.

10. A Mississippian permalink
    February 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Isn’t Joe Tegerdine a Morman from Oregon? Yeah, that’s what we need???
    I think I am more inclined to support a Mississippian who understands what we need and not a Oregonian who know better than us what we need !!!
    I say Joe go Represent Oregon !!

• Ron permalink
      February 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Joe and his wife chose Mississippi and to support and represent the people of Mississippi over any party. Joe is the candidate in the race that shares the conservative Christian pro-life values of the people in South Mississippi. I also would like to point out that Joe is not running to represent any church.

• Dan Lindsay permalink
      May 18, 2010 3:10 pm

How is that lifetime Mississippian Gene Taylor working for you?

11. C. Hill permalink
    February 18, 2010 11:40 pm

So….you are saying….a crummy home-grown Mississippi candidate is better than a really good candidate who happened to be born in another state (not a choice made by him) and chooses to live in Mississippi? Oh, right! That makes perfect sense.

• A Mississippian permalink
      February 19, 2010 10:41 am

• C. Hill permalink
        February 19, 2010 11:56 am

OK. Explain to me how you reconcile that Steve Palazzo voted against imminent domain reform and for making Sudafed a prescription (requiring a doctor’s visit) with the Constitution, please.

• A Mississippian permalink
          February 19, 2010 12:44 pm

If I recall, our Republican Govenor who I believe is Chairman of Republican Governors Conference was the one who championed the defeat of the Imminent Domain Reform because it would do extreme harm to Mississippi’s ability to attract economic development and if I am not mistaken he also signed the bill, championed by the Mississippi Law Enforcement Community to protect the children of Mississippi from the perils of Meth Manufacturing. So … I take it from your response that your friend Joe is against attacting economic development to Mississippi and against our Law Enforcement’s attempts to protect Mississippi children. Mississippi needs a Congressman who lives in the Real World.

• Maters and Taters permalink
        February 19, 2010 1:52 pm

I would rather have a person that has uprooted his family and moved to the place he feels best represents his values and principles to represent me and my family in Washington, than a person who funds their campaign and career with out-of-state money and has spent most of his adult life inside the Washington beltway.

Year after year over 80% of Gene Taylor’s campaign is funded by out of state money. But, for 20 years no one has seemed to care about what state the influence on our representative comes from.

So, given the options of Steven Palazzo and Joe Tegerdine I’d have to go with Tegerdine. Palazzo’s vote to support eminent domain in Mississippi, in my opinion, reveals is unprincipled character and total disregard for his fellow Mississippians.

This is easily a no-contest for me. Do what he wants and say what he likes, this single vote to let big government and big business redistribute my property to whoever he feels would make better use of it speaks volumes about Palazzo.

This is the type of Republican politician our political system can do without.

• RandomThoughts permalink
        February 19, 2010 2:03 pm

As Thad and Roger rank 1 and 2 in the Senate for most earmarks. They should be dumped too!

12. Tea Party Leader permalink
    February 19, 2010 1:28 pm

As someone who believes in and supports the Constitution of the United States, it would do Governor Barbor well to re-read it.

The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. No law may supersede the Constitution. Only a Constitutional amendment my change a Constitutional right. Therefore, any violation of the Constitution must be a serious breach of the law — a violation much more serious than a breach of the laws passed by Congress.

In fact, a law, executive order, rule or regulation contrary to the Constitution cannot be a valid “law.” And, in The Federalist Papers No. 78, Alexander Hamilton tells us exactly that:

“There is no position which depends on clearer principles than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to the tenor of the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid. To deny this would be to affirm that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid.”

The Constitution extends protection to U.S. citizens against seizure of personal property.

I cannot, therefore, support ANY candidate, who votes for legislation that is in direct CONTRAST to the Constitution, whether it be Governor Barbour or Steven Palazzo. Our elected officials are sworn in by an OATH to protect and defend the Constitution and if they violate that oath, they should (in my opinion) be immediately removed from office. That goes for state AND national offices.

If those in power can so flagrantly disregard the supreme law of the land and defend it by ANY means, including that of preserving economic development, what next will be excused that will abridge our freedoms?

Mississippi MUST GET Eminent Domain reform. If it means turning over our Senate in 2011 so that they will have the guts to override any vetoe by a sitting Governor, then so be it.

The taking of private property for private use is WRONG! IT MUST BE STOPPED.

ttp://gideonstrumpet.info/?p=209

That’s only one of many reasons why JOE TEGERDINE will get my vote and why I will influence every person I come into contact with to vote for him as well.

WAKE UP MISSISSIPPI! DO NOT SUPPORT THE ABUSE OF GOVERNMENT POWER!

13. A Mississippian permalink
    February 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow … it’s painfully obvious the future of the Republican Party could be doomed. If Joe the Oregonian’s support is led by people who see fit to quote “The Federalist Papers No. 78″, then I believe I know the answer to Mr. Thornton’s retorical question above “Wow. Joe’s been at it for nine months now. No mention of him then, no mention of him now.”

I do however have one suggestion for Joe. There is a song by the band Red Rider he could adopt as his campaign theme song.

14. I. M. Fedup permalink
    February 19, 2010 10:42 pm

I don’t care that Joe Tegerdine lived in Oregon during his childhood!! He also lived in Seattle, Utah, Taiwan and Florida. A man that’s lived all over may have learned a thing or two along the way…Things like: Big Government doesn’t work. Hard work and personal freedoms are worth dying for. Our borders need to be secured. Our constitution needs to be adhered to. A strong America makes strong Americans. Those principles are as true here in S. Mississippi as they are in any state. Plus, living amongst the liberals and fighting against them his whole life may have taught him a thing or two when he goes to D.C. JOE TEGERDINE in 2010!!

15. No to Joe permalink
    February 20, 2010 9:21 am

Well, I am going to support a true Mississippi candidate. One who reflects my Christian values. Not the values of Salt Lake City. One who believes the Bible is the one and only Word of God.

• mike permalink
      February 20, 2010 10:31 pm

I have spoken with Joe personally. Being a devout Christian (Southern Baptist), I wanted to know his personal religious beliefs. Joe believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that salvation (eternal life) comes only through Jesus. Joe reminded me of the scripture where the Phillipian jailer asked, “What must I do to be saved?”

Now, we can talk doctrine of the denominations and scripture interpretation all year long, but, according to God’s Word, the ONLY way to Heaven (eternal life) is through faith in Jesus. As a practicing and active deacon in my church, I take Joe at his word. Who am I to not to do so…who am I to

That being said, anyone who would not vote for Joe because he is Mormon or because Joe’s interpretation of scripture is different than theirs is misguided IMO…..Joe’s Christian values and family values are as strong as any Catholic (like Gene Taylor and Steven Palazzo) that I know…

And as far as his state of origin….I will admit, at first, this raised my eyebrow; but, after getting to know him better, I would say, as Joe puts it, he wandered in the liberal, progressive wilderness of foreign lands, and finally found his way to THE PROMISED LAND. Joe and his wife had a chance to leave Mississippi, but chose to stay here and raise their children here because of the lifestyle, the people, the values, etc. BY THE WAY, Gene Taylor is not a native Mississippian, either….and I bet if you searched the Ms. Legislature you will find more than a handful of public servants that were not originally from this state. To make this an issue would be no different that saying, “I would vote for Bennie Thompson before I would vote for someone not from Mississippi.” That mentality is one reason why we don’t have enough strong leadership in Washington.

I DARE…as they say, DOUBLE DOG DARE Taylor or Palazzo to stand side by side Joe Tegerdine and talk about the REAL ISSUES. I guarantee he will put them both to shame.

My final word (for now)—if these two issues (religion and length of residency) are the most important matters in selecting a Congressman, I pity the future America.

• Ron permalink
      February 24, 2010 1:18 pm

This is sad to see someone who has such bigoted close minded ideas. One thing is certain and that is that Joe T shares south Mississippi’s conservative christian pro life values. Joe and his wife Kerry chose to live in Mississippi and raise their children here. Joe is not running to represent the Mormon church nor any other church for that matter. Joe will represent the people of south Mississippi and will never listen to any special interests. Sign me a devout christian and Southern Baptist for Joe Tegerdine!

16. C. Hill permalink
    February 20, 2010 10:44 am

That is the beauty of America. You can (at least for the time being) vote for whomever you like and it counts as much as everyone else’s vote.

17. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 20, 2010 9:33 pm

America is even more beautiful! We have the gift of free speech so the truth can be spread to everyone in the 4th District of wonderful State of Mississippi about the Bible rejecting Carpetbagger who wants to tell us how to live.

“Big Love Joe” … We say Go !

• Michael Johnson permalink
      February 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Is SP or GT a Southern Baptist?

• I. M. Fedup permalink
      February 22, 2010 12:22 am

Mormons belive in the Bible and if you belive Big Love represents the Mormon faith, you are pathetic!!

18. mike permalink
    February 20, 2010 11:13 pm

DID PALAZZO JUST PUT MS – 04 in play?

My answer is NO, he did not. MS-04 was already in play, it is because of the following 3 reasons:

1. Gene Taylor’s support of Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, not once, but twice

2. THE NRCC decision to put MS-04 “in play” long before Palazzo’s
    announcement
    (which, by the way, was done AFTER Joe Tegerdine went to the NRCC this past summer and said—”I come here today, not asking for your support or for your money; I come asking for you to put Gene Taylor on your “target” list.” That conversation can be verified by calling the NRCC—-that is assuming they will tell the truth, and they have no reason not to do so.

3. Another person’s (Joe Tegerdine) announcement to run against Taylor NINE MONTHS before Palazzo did (By the way, Tegerdine has been building a very healthy grassroots network that has caught the attention of Gene Taylor and his people.)

Just because Palazzo is a State Representative, I cannot understand why there would be the impression that MS- 04 was not already “in play”……it doesn’t take a lot of research to know the above 3 FACTS.. To insinuate that it was not already in play strongly implies that this website perhaps has minimized Tegerdine’s presence and potential.

19. Michael Johnson permalink
    February 21, 2010 2:47 am

Wow lets listen to the candidates and take the ones at their word that have not already broken their promise.

Joe Tea Party Tegerdine

20. Peacemaker permalink
    February 21, 2010 5:54 am

Mike I agree D4 was in play already but the problem is nobody knew it except for the grassroots people.

Palazzo getting in this race will help Tegerdine if his grassroots base is as big as all of these very passionate posters claim. It never is as big as you think it is, but from what I have seen I think it is big enough to win a primary.

Without the needed media and establishment attention that Palazzo brings the press would see it as just another wannabe challenging our blue-dog king of the Bayou because they do not live where we do.

If Tegerdine upsets Palazzo it will be very very BIG news. A much better outcome than if he would have been unchallenged or if challenged by an unknown. They will all talk about it for weeks, and Tegerdine will get a lot of earned media and a great deal of mileage from it. Not to mention the new funding that will come from it (see Greg Harper in 2008) I know the Tegerdine people don’t like the idea of another challenger, but they best get over it because it is going to happen and I am glad it is.

So to those who constantly throw stones at Palazzo – I give you fair warning – you are actually hurting your candidate when you do it because you will need those voters that you are consistently alienating. (the same goes for Palazzo’s people)

Now to put things into perspective. Taylor got over 216k votes in 2008 (yes you read correctly that is two hundred and sixteen thousand votes). Even in the mid term he is good for 120k . No challenger has even come close. The three best vote getters so far have been M.Lott 96k, McCay 73k and Dollar 71k. The best of the rest hovered around 50k and the others averaged about 30k votes. A guy named Barlow probably came the closest to beating him but that was years ago. Using percentages will change the order but I wanted to use real numbers so you can see the uphill battle that awaits. The two best challengers votes combined still does not beat Taylors high mark of 216k.

A Grassroots only campaign will not beat Taylor. It has to be both well funded and strong grassroots. I expect Palazzo to be well funded and Tegerdine to have strong grassroots.

So be nice to each other and work hard because this is our 1 chance to actually beat him. Don’t screw it up by being too hard on the other Republican challenger. Let’s encourage them to have a gentleman’s race, beat on Taylor’s record not each other. If a candidate has to point at someone elses’ flaws to make themselves look good then they shouldn’t be running anyway -or- you can go back to the old “carpetbagger Joe” and “land grabber Steve” lines, but the only victor will be “two-step Taylor”

• Michael Johnson permalink
      February 21, 2010 7:59 pm

How do we distinguish our private property and liberty supporting candidate over the other one(s)? Do we just ignore it and like McCay ignored Gene’s flaws as well and got stomped?

If we challenge the other candidate then we are too hard and if we focus on them being nice guys then we are letting the personalities get in the way of the issues.

• Peacemaker permalink
        February 22, 2010 7:34 am

I think we can promote our candidates without demonizing the other one. My guy is X,Y, and Z he is the right choice! But my post was not about that it was about …Vote for my guy because the other one is evil! There is way more to Palazzo than the eminent domain vote, just like there is way more to Tegerdine than his religion. Both are very good and honest men and it is just sad to see them torn apart by prospective allies. Both are far better than Taylor.

Also on McCay… He “got stomped” because he didn’t raise any money. He did in fact take Gene to task on his record at every event I saw him speak. He especially drove home the fact that Taylor had voted for Pelosi and had voted for some of the early bailouts among other things. I heard him speak at four different events. Much of what I read from the Tegerdine camp is what McCay was saying in 2008. I do believe Tegerdine can articulate it better and of course having a supportive tea party movement helps get the word around.

My post was for those who are belligerent and vile in their attacks on fellow Republicans. One of these guys will win the primary and no matter who wins they will need the other one if we are to rid ourselves of Mr. Taylor. So yes please compare and contrast our candidates, but be fair and respectful was really all I was saying.

• sickandtired permalink
      March 2, 2010 7:46 am

Peacemaker,

I feel you. However, now that Palazzo is in the race there is a primary required. I am sure you are aware of this. This means that rather than beating on Taylor’s record which will surely be done at a later date, they need to defeat eachother. When Palazzo says “I’m a conservative, veteran, local boy” I say so am I, but we have had a ‘local boy’ for 21 years and he is currently Pelosi’s lapdog. Enough of the local boy stuff, I’m voting for the best guy; and having spoken with Joe extensively, his moral base is unwavering. There are no concessions when you have convictions and Palazzo’s Eminent domain vote means that either he isn’t conservative or he has no convictions. Either way I don’t want him. I want to hear why the candidate’s stances to agree with mine and if that gets hateful, so be it.

21. Brinda S. permalink
    February 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes Debates! I want Debates! I think true colors will shine through and I will be able to get a good idea of how they will fight for mississippi.

22. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Mike, I appreciate your comments but Revelations warns us that if anyone hears the Word and adds anything to them, God will add the plagues described in the Word. As a Mormon, Joe must believe a whole new book was added to the Word. One that glorifies Joseph Smith and allows bigomy. I am not sure how a devout (Southern Baptist) dismisses this major rejection of the Word.

Peacemaker, I appreciate your comments as well because you seem to be one of the few who allows for the fact that Mississipi can have a strong Republican candidate other than Joe. Because if you read most of the comments above it seems we should all throw away our religious beliefs and support Joe no matter what he believes and stands for. That is something I cannot do or stand by and let others encourage us to do. The Southern Baptists need to stand together and defeat this blasphemy so we do not have the plagues added to us.

Mississippi is a great State and is filled with great people. I believe we can have a great Republican candidate who is one of us and believes as we do, not like they believe in Utah or Oregon.

• I. M. Fedup permalink
      February 22, 2010 12:42 am

The Book of Mormon never mentions Joseph Smith…nor does it mention polygamy which was outlawed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormon church) in 1890!! Stop spreading hate and realize that ALL Christians are at war and must ban together to defeat legistlation that is hurting this great nation (like they did in California to defeat same sex marriage). Your hatred towards the Mormon church does no one any favors and it makes Southern Baptists that DO see the value in other faiths look bad!!

• sickandtired permalink
      March 2, 2010 7:35 am

Saved by the Blood
      Mississippi can have a strong republican candidate other than Joe, it just doesn’t. A conservative republican would never in his right mind vote FOR eminent domain. That means the “other” republican candidate is either not a conservative republican or he is not in his right mind. He is from Mississippi. That we do know, he told us 40 times Saturday in Lucedale. But is he what is best for US. If not vote for who is best. I have yet to find the first issue that I disagree with Joe on. Does he got to a different church, yes, but the only religious leaders that I would oppose are muslim simply because of their inherent hostilities towards America and its people. A Mormon however, whom I have personally heard pray in the name of Jesus Christ, sign me up!

• Dan Lindsay permalink
      May 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Whew!! Thanks for saving Gene Taylor, Steven Palazzo and I from your wrath as we are all Roman Catholics. May God Bless you and keep you safe.

23. Mike permalink
    February 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Saved by the blood,

I appreciate your honesty. Are you aware of the history of the bible and it’s many changes?

Are you aware that some Chrisitian bible’s (including the original King James 1611) included the Apocrypha?

I respect your views, but I’ll be voting for Joe Tegerdine… a man who spent two years in Taiwan teaching others about Jesus Christ.

The Catholic bible has 7 additional books I understand. Does this mean you won’t be voting for the two Catholics who are running?

24. Southern Baptist permalink
    February 21, 2010 10:52 pm

As a Southern Baptist I use to use religious preference as one of the priority indicators of how I would vote. UNTIL BILL CLINTON!!!! Talk about more then one wife!

Our current President is a “Christian” so he has said. Is that why you supported him with your vote?

I use to think being Catholic always meant pro-life, then Nancy Pelosi came along and blew that idea out of the water.

All that to say, I am seeking a VERY MORAL person with consistent STRONG CONSERVATIVE CONVICTIONS to guide them. I will listen carefully to what candidates say, and look at their actions for hints of inconsistencies that will reveal their character. I want to elect people who will maintain an expected work ethic so that when pressures and temptations comes they will not waver from their VALUE SYSTEM. I don’t want to elect someone whose votes or behaviors shock me.

I understand if some will want to vote for the candidate that attends a church of similar name assuming that person will share your religious convictions and beliefs. I’ve been there. I just wanted to share how God changed my mind. I believe I am being wise and not foolish.

If a religious title is what means most to you dear friends, then that is that. No one will change your mind not even a candidate’s words and actions.

• Southern Buddhist permalink
      February 22, 2010 4:06 pm

I am seeking some REPUBLICANS that have an actual thought of their own and are capable of using correct GRAMMAR and SPELLING. “use to”? Really? Why not just spell it “yoosta”? “more THEN one wife”? I bet you also pronounce Tuesday as “Chewsdy” too dont you? And so you are saying that Obama is NOT a christian? And you are also saying that the only reason he got elected is because he said he was christian? I am glad, however that you dont just blindly vote for someone that goes to the same church denomination as you. Thank the guy in the sky for that one. That is an important step in the direction of thinking for yourself. CONGRATULATIONS.

• Anti Southern Buddhist's BM of the mouth permalink
        February 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Where did all your hostility come from Southern Buddhist? Perhaps you forgot to fill your antipsychotic prescriptions. Your uncivil attack is not welcome in this discussion. Perhaps a therapist will listen to your rants. I know some Buddhists and you are not one.

25. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 22, 2010 9:05 am

I.M. , I must say I have never read the The Book of Mormon. So are you saying that Joseph Smith is not glorified by the Mormons in much the same way that Muhammed is glorified by the Muslims ? (I have not read the Koran either)

Southern Baptist, One of your comments was very interesting. Evidently, if I don’t support Mormon Joe then I must have voted for Obama. I think you have made my point for me. All I have been saying is let’s elect one of our own and you seem to be saying that Mormon Joe is the ONLY person is South Mississippi to represent us. So, if we don’t support Mormon Joe, then we are all liberal democrats. What a crock? You seem to be saying that we should abandon our beliefs and vote for Joe no matter what. Using your logic, if Joe was a member of the Taliban we should still support him !!! I sir will not.

• Southern Baptist permalink
      February 22, 2010 12:25 pm

@Saved, Wow, how did you get that out of what I wrote? My letter was not directed at you but to the General Reader nor a specific election exclusively. The Obama remark was meant only as a little sarcasm to those who supported him with their vote. Sorry about that.
      Your interpretations has not even entered my thoughts. My point, which I evidently failed to make was simply that I use to use religious preference near the top of my list of how to select who to vote for.
      Now, church affiliation, is much lower on the list. I tried to give specific examples that God specifically used to change my thought processes.

I really hope, no matter the election, no matter who is running, that we examine candidates carefully, starting early then up until the day of vote. Investigate, Listen, watch carefully, and pray about it. Evaluate their fortitude to stand FIRM for what is right or what they claim to believe.
      God wants us to be wise, so what ever that means to you, is OK with me.
      God has changed the way I think and look at lots of things in life, this is just one example of a dramatic change.
      I confess I voted for Bill Clinton because he was a fine Baptist man assuming he shared my beliefs and values. I was wrong. I was foolish. I didn’t look at him much further then his church affiliation.
      I just pray Americans elect those who will stand 100% firm on conservative issues. All to often I see votes and actions (of elected officials) that seem to be self serving. Americans want officials willing to stay true to their publicly displayed convictions, values, and beliefs of right and wrong. Ones with superior work ethics, and a proven life of unwavering to pressures and temptations.
      Do their words match their actions?
      These words I just wrote are not intended to support or attack any religion, or candidate.
      Have a nice day. :)

• I. M. Fedup permalink
      February 23, 2010 2:22 pm

No, Mormons glorify God and His Son, the Savior Jesus Christ only. Joseph Smith was a prophet, much like Moses and Abraham were prophets. If you have never read the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, then please, out of courtesy to the thousands of LDS people in Mississippi, keep you opinions about it to yourself. Your slurs about a peaceable people are hurtful and offensive.

26. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks Southern Baptist, Evidently, I misunderstood your comments. It seemed to me that most everyone was saying we should support Joe, no matter what. All I am saying is there are other options.

Your last post was extemely articulate and I appreciate your point of view.

Have a great day yourself.

27. Amused permalink
    February 22, 2010 7:40 pm

The only thing “Oregon Joe” has is a small army of bloggers. Last time I checked it’s only 1 vote per person, not 1 vote per blog post.

28. mike2 permalink
    February 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Saved by the Blood……are you saying there is a Baptist (“one of our own”—as you put it) that is a candidate for Congress in the 4th District????? If so, who is it?

Amused……all Joe has is a small army of bloggers??? (snicker, snicker) Whatever!

29. mike2 permalink
    February 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Posted by Mississippian on February 10:

[No, I am saying a GOOD home-grown Republican candidate is better than some outsider coming in to show us “Backward” Mississippians how things are done in Oregon! Evidently, you think all Missisippian Republican candidates are “Crummy”. I stongly disagree !!!
    Maybe we should also dump Hailey, Thad and Roger and get some Yankee to come save us from ourselves!]

My response:

You are making a very BIG and very WRONG assumption that Mr. Tegerdine considers us to be “backward” Mississippians….just the kind of comment that “deflates” your opinion……….have you ever heard him speak, do you know what he believes, do you know why he chose to live and stay in Mississippi? And as far as HALEY (the correct spelling) Thad and Roger….IMO, I would say one of them needs to be dumped for sure, because he is too centrist; and one may not needs to be dumped, but he sure is too caught up in “party politics”. The other one I think we should keep, at least for now. I’ll let readers decide which one of the three belongs where (it ain’t too hard to figure out).

30. mike2 permalink
    February 22, 2010 8:50 pm

sorry about the wrong date….the reference I made in my last post to a post by Mississippian was made on February 19, not on February 10 as I stated. Sorry about that.

31. Tea Party Leader permalink
    February 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I suppose Steven Palazzo, Paul Gallo and Haley Barbour wouldn’t mind giving up their family property for Eminent Domain and the ‘greater good’ of Mississippi, especially if it meets the ‘Mississippi Majority Impact Act’ which Gallo noted today as being part of the fail safe checks and balances lauded by supporters.

How could Barbour’s version be unfair? After all, any rendering of land to this government entitlement would have to pass the Mississippi Development Authority, the Mississippi House and Senate and then get Governor Barbour’s signature? What could possibly go wrong? EASY! It’s someone else’s land and the carpetbaggers don’t care!

Gallo insulted his audience today by falsely depicting victims of any predatory actions by the state as typically living ‘out of state’ while he depicted the typical property as being a few cows in a field owned by a deceased grandfather and passed on to a relative who has no personal interest in the property and who may have overvalued the property, even though they may not even want to sell it.

It doesn’t matter if the property has been in the family for 5 years or 50 years, nor if it’s got 3 cows on it or a sprawling estate. What matters is that it belongs to the land owner and not to the state!

A segment with Delbert Hoseman, Mississippi Secretary of State, followed Gallo’s segment on Eminent Domain and in discussing the recent success of the VoterID and Personhood Mississippi Petitions, added that a third petition might be on the ballot in November and that’s one dealing with Eminent Domain.

He stated that the petition takes a much more conservative stance than Barbour’s bill, with wording to ensure that private property taken by the government can’t be converted to private use or be used by a private corporation. It seems that there was a qualifier of perhaps 10 years on it, that the government would have to wait to pass on to a corporation. If anyone has any info on this, please post it.

Back to Palazzo…since Gallo thinks he’s so heroic in voting against Eminent Domain reform (one of one 3 who voted against it twice in 2009). Gallo is apparently in favor of the government being able to take private land for private use (as long as it create jobs)! Gosh, Gallo…seems like Mississippi has a lot more to compete with than stolen land!

Let’s see you and Palazzo offer your personal property up for the state! Hey! We need jobs! Ante-up!

32. Nathan permalink
    February 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Here’s the petition to get eminent domain reform on the ballot… Spread the word.

33. Ron permalink
    February 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Mississippi’s 4th congressional district been in play for the 2010 election since Joe Tegerdine started running back in April of last year. And by the way almost all of the 912 Project/TEA parties in the 4th district have already endorsed Joe Tea Party. There is no way Palazzo nor any other political machine politician is going to have the support of the TEA Party movement. Machine politics is exactly what is wrong with the congress now. The TEA Party members are also tired of getting getting slapped in the face and being ignored by the Republican establishment. We the people WILL BE HEARD. … See you at the polls

34. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 25, 2010 7:11 pm

I.M. You say I should keep my opinions to myself. Is Mormon Joe against Free Speech as well or just you? You also provide some “facts” about Joeeph Smith and the Mormon church. However, stangely, you ommitted a few things.

Mormonism, known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (with headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah — a state that is now 70% Mormon), was officially founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith Jr. (1805-1844). Smith claimed to have had a personal visit from God the Father at the age of 15, who introduced him to Christ.1 Jesus then supposedly told him not to join any church because they were all wrong and all the Christian church’s doctrines “were an abomination” (Joseph Smith — History 19, Pearl of Great Price).

Many today are under the false impression that Mormonism is merely another Christian denomination, when in actuality, Mormon beliefs are not only unbiblical, but anti-Christian. Below are the highlights of what Mormons believe concerning their source of authority, the Trinity, God, Christ, the Holy Spirit, sin, salvation, and heaven and hell:
    Mormons say that particular part of Scripture is translated incorrectly, and that the correct translation is in one of the Mormon scriptures (The Maze of Mormonism, p. 131). Thereby, the Bible is rejected as the infallible Word of God

Mormonism teaches polytheism (versus monotheism taught in the Bible), believing that the universe is inhabited by many gods who produce spirit children. Joseph Smith declared, “I will preach on the plurality of Gods. I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods”

Should I go on … There are many other beliefs I can add but the bottm line is Mormons believe that all other church’s doctrines “were an abomination”. Yeah, that sounds like someone we want representing us !!!!!

35. Mississippian permalink
    February 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Mike2, Thanks for correcting my spelling on Haley. In return, you may want to check your grammar “and one may not needs to be dumped”.

My question is “what is wrong with you people?” Mississippi has 3 strong Republicans … 4 counting Harper and you want to dump some or all of them. Do you not understand REAL World” politics? You must be living in some fantasy world. We have a Senator who is one of the most powerful in Washington. Ranking member on Appropriations and you want to dump him. I just returned from D.C. and all these men are fighting hard for us in Mississippi. If you want to lose this kind of influence, Lord help us.
    I stated above and I will repeat “There is a song by the band Red Rider he (meaning Joe) could adopt as his campaign theme song.” For those to lazy to look it up, it’s “Lunatic Fringe”.

36. Mike permalink
    February 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Was anyone suprised to see Gallo come out so quick to defend Steven Palazzo’s vote to allow private developers taking our private property?

Talk about turn around time. I think Palazzo announced he was running and then days later Gallo is out there trying to convince Mississippians they need to let Palazzo seize their property with eminent domain for the greater good!

What a crock…

This is going to be a long three months for Palazzo having to give an explanation every time he speaks about why folks should give up their private property so private companies can build their operation there.

Ignore the thousands of available acres of land in industrial parks across the state of Mississppi.

Ignore the U.S. Constitution which states that eminent domain is only used for in cases of public use.

Ignore the people of Mississippi who want to restore their God given rights to remain on their property without the threat of a private developer stealing their land.

Have fun Steven… you’re going to busy.

37. Plasma Ray permalink
    February 25, 2010 11:02 pm

FYI, It has come to my attention that ACORN and/or SCIU members have been hired (paid positions) out of LA, By Gene Taylor, ( indirectly, yet by his request and actions) to infiltrate dialogues, such as these, to cause frustration, confusion, keep focus off of him, and tire people out. My girlfriend is friends with one of Taylor’s staff members… and she told me. I am telling you. Just keep it in mind.
    ACORN will be launching more Taylor computer activities along with other media outlets. Stay ALERT!

• C. Hill permalink
      March 2, 2010 12:17 pm

Could you share your source?
      It isn’t that I doubt you…I just like to check things out before I share them.

38. Tea Party Leader permalink
    February 25, 2010 11:02 pm

A caller questioned Gallo on the intent of eminent domain when he (Gallo) applauded Palazzo’s votes against the reform bill passed by both houses last year and Governor Barbour’s subsequent veto of the bill.

The caller pointed out that private property should not be taken for the benefit of private corporations or entities for ANY reason. Gallo responded ‘That was the ORIGINAL intent’. So Gallo…you apparently feel that this should be CHANGED for the sake of economic development in Mississippi.

This is always a good idea for liberals to be lenient with OPP, OPM, etc.

Watch out for the progressive ideas of those who would want to strip down the Constitution to fit their idealistic goals of redistribution of wealth and the loss of rights of ownership. Sounds pretty socialistic to me, Gallo. Maybe you and Palazzo should take your ideas to the people face-to-face and see what they think about them.

39. J. B. permalink
    February 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Our family has deeply valued the time traveling and living around the world and states due to our active duty military status. We find it the strangest rational to say someone who has lived around the world/states is somehow inferior to one living in one county their whole life. Living around the world and serving others in less fortunate circumstances in other countries has changed us for the better, I think.
    But at the end of the day we were stationed on the coast and I will never leave. We love Mississippi and Love Mississippians. NOW, what kind of person would say we are inferior because we have traveled and lived outside of Mississippi? Perhaps a person that would never believe Mississippi is quality enough for outsiders to fall in love with.
    I think the majority of people would agree with me living in a variety of places enriches one. But of course there are a few on this site that think we transplants are INFERIOR in every way.

40. Mississippian permalink
    February 26, 2010 8:24 am

I don’t believe anyone on this site says “transplants are INFERIOR in every way”. I belive the queston is should they be representing us and leading us. If you say yes, then you are saying that because you are a transplant you are Superior to EVERYONE here and we should be so thankful you have come to Mississippi and can show us the way! B.S.
    Mississipians can represent ourselves. We do not need YOU to tell us what we should do no matter how much “enrichment” you have from living in more enlightened places!

41. Saved by the Blood permalink
    February 26, 2010 8:52 am

Original Mike, I did not include you in my post above because from your previous posts, you appear to be a sincere and thoughful person. You said you were a devout Christian and Southern Baptist and you spoke with Joe and he believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that salvation (eternal life) comes only through Jesus.

Evidently, Joe is a politician and told you what you wanted to hear. Did he tell you that he believes there are many Gods? Or that the Bible is rejected as the infallible Word of God? I doubt it but if he is a Mormon then that is his beliefs.

All I asking is that you research the Mormon religion and find out what they believe before you assume Joe believes like us? Ask him how many Gods exist and let me know what says?

42. liberty permalink
    February 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I first met Joe Tegerdine and his wife at a 9-12 meeting about 9 months ago. I liked them both immediately. I continued to follow his campaign activities and get to know him. Over the next few months several people mentioned their concerns about Joe being Mormon. One of our fellow 9-12 members told me that the Mormons are very secretive and if you’re not a Mormon you aren’t even allowed to step foot in their church. I must say this made me very curious about the Mormons. Myself being raised Catholic, I had to confess that I didn’t know much about the Mormon religion. So, I googled “Mormon” and read what I could find about the religion. But, I needed to know more. So, I called Joe Tegerdine and told him that because others have voiced concern about him being Mormon I wanted to go to his church with him the very next Sunday. I was relieved to hear Joe say sure, join us, here are the directions. The next Sunday I sat in the pew with Joe and his family at their church. Immediately after church I was invited to join them in bible study, which I did.

I took from this day several things I would like to share with all of you reading this blog.

1. Imagine someone you hardly know calling you out of the blue and saying something like “I have some concerns about your religion so I’m going to go with you to your church this Sunday. This way I can see for myself just what is going on”. How would you reply to this person? Would you be offended? Joe’s reply told me a lot about what type of man he is. Joe’s response was without hesitation. And as he invited me to join
    him and his family, his tone and his words were welcoming. This is not an exact quote, but Joe said to me something along the lines that he was glad that I cared enough to make the effort to learn about his religion and if I had any questions all I have to do is ask.

2. The church service was similar to a Catholic service, somewhat formal. Not as “relaxed” as Baptist services I have attended. Everyone I met that morning was very kind and welcoming. I don’t think anyone at that church will be getting a phone call from one of the network TV stations saying they want them to star in a reality show.

3. It has been about 5 months since I visited Joe’s church. I have often thought about the importance of religion and our elected officials. I sometimes wonder just how many Pseudo-Christians attend our churches every Sunday because they wish to be elected or re-elected. Our founding fathers were not all of the same religious beliefs, Jefferson even wrote his own bible. He was not shunned or shut out because of this. They all knew that having the freedom to practice their own beliefs was part of what would make this country great. And I think that is something we should all consider before we make comments about others religious beliefs.

But that’s just my two cents….

43. Mike permalink
    February 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Saved by the blood…

Please do (at least some of us) a favor and quit trying to tell everyone what other people believe about their own religion. If anyone wants to know what a Mormon or Catholic or Baptist believes about Jesus and their interpretation of scripture…. please just go and ask one!

You seem to be very interested in convincing others of what they should believe about Mormons. However, I am very curious as to what you believe and exactly which Bible you consider to be the inspired word of God… since you seem to be speaking on behalf of all Baptists.

44. Mike permalink
    February 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Saved by the blood…

You said the following:

“All I have been saying is let’s elect one of our own”

Can you please explain what you mean by “One of our own”

You also said the following:

“Revelations warns us that if anyone hears the Word and adds anything to them, God will add the plagues described in the Word.”

Therefore by your own logic Catholics are ineligible to serve political office in Mississippi, because their Bible has additional books that the Baptist Bible does not have. The Bible used by the Catholic Church has content (additional books) that are not in the KJV 1611 used in Baptist Churches.

So if we vote for a Catholic we are voting to have plagues from God descended upon us?

Or or you really saying that you CAN vote for a Catholic because they are just a little bit different from me as a Baptist? Despite the fact that they have added to the word and will bring these plagues of which you politely took the time to inform us would be coming our way?

Again… is there a Baptist running for congress in MS-04?

If so… where is this Baptist because I heard John McCay is not running?

• RandomThoughts permalink
      February 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Mike, you may want to point this out to Saved by the Blood…

The Catholic Church did not add any books to the King James Version of the Bible which was first published in 1611. The collection of books contained in the Catholic Bible (which contain the apocrypha which the KJV of the Bible removed) predated the KJV by centuries.

So if Revelations warns about adding to the Bible, imagine what would happen to those who remove books from the Bible.

• Mike permalink
        February 26, 2010 5:17 pm

• Mike permalink
        February 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Interestingly when the Book of Revelation was written… the ‘official’ Bible didn’t even exist. It would appear John of Patmos was referring to the particular scripture HE was writing… but let’s not get too complicated for our audience. Coincidently it appears at the end of the Baptist Bible (my bible).

• Mike permalink
          February 26, 2010 5:29 pm

I may have found the Baptist that Saved by the blood has implied is running.

The Libertarian Party is saying that Tim Hampton is running on the Libertarian ticket for Gene Taylor’s seat. Hampton describes himself as a Christian Conservative though he doesn’t mention his denomination. This may be the person Saved has been referring to, though I’m not sure how Saved feels about Hampton’s views that the government shouldn’t ban same sex marriage, and instead should get out of issuing marriage licenses altogether.

45. Mike permalink
    February 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Saved by the blood….

Are you saying that Jews are not eligible to hold office in Mississippi and that we should not vote for a Jew? Is that what you are saying as well?

Please do tell…. do you really believe that Jews are not spiritually fit to serve political office in Mississippi because their views on God and Jesus might be different than Baptists?

46. Blast Away permalink
    February 26, 2010 5:50 pm

• B Linda permalink
      March 4, 2010 4:54 am

THIS IS GENE TAYLOR!!!!!! OMG EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK AT THIS!!!! FIRE HIM!!!

47. Travis permalink
    February 27, 2010 12:08 am

I cant believe this Palazzo guy is the one who sponsored the state sovereignty bill. Then he turns around and votes to make pseudoephedrine a prescription drug…

He just gave the federal govt control of Dayquil in Mississippi!

So much for States rights and the 10th amendment.

This guy is an opportunistic Rino hoping to capitalize on Obama’s low approval and Scott Brown’s win in MA.

• Peacemaker permalink
      February 27, 2010 2:22 am

You might want to check your propaganda there chief. That is a distortion of what the bill does. It does NOT give jurisdiction to the Federal Government the State of Mississippi does not have the authority to do that. It is regulated by the State of Mississippi. It is NOT a violation of the 10th Amendment it is a fulfillment of it. Here is the bill http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2010/html/HB/0500-0599/HB0512SG.htm

I am not defending this bill because I don’t like the bill either. I think it will simply encourage organized crime syndicates from other states to fill the demand for meth in our State. I believe other types of crime will increase and of course the obvious added cost of getting a cold that affects everyone. Talk about a healthcare crisis. It is a shame that less than 1% of the population who abuse this stuff will make it harder on the rest of us.

I do however understand why it was passed overwhelmingly in both the House and Senate. The reason is that almost every law enforcement agency in this state has budget issues. It costs a ton of money to clean up a meth lab; Money that these departments simply do not have. And if they don’t clean it up properly they will be slapped with lawsuits from environmental and citizen groups as well as trouble with Federal agencies dealing with the environment. So they had a choice – don’t go after production facilities and neglect their sworn duty or find another solution. Pressure was placed upon the State lawmakers by Police Chiefs and Sheriffs statewide to do something because they were nearing crisis mode in some locations with the bad economy and the additional strain on resources to clean up those labs. So the State did what it did. It tried to solve a problem. I don’t like their solution, but I understand it.

You might want to stick with eminent domain if you are trying to demonize Palazzo.

• Travis permalink
        April 27, 2010 1:08 am

If I go to my doctor and get a prescription for Sudafed. Then share it with my wife, that will be a criminal act, in violation of federal law…

I understand some Sheriffs wanted this legislation, but what will it really affect? Will this Pseudoephedrine bill make our meth problem go away?

• LimaBean permalink
          April 27, 2010 1:23 am

I think the problem the officers have with it is costs associated with cleaning up the labs. The law will not reduce the demand for the drug, but it will reduce the costs imposed upon local communities when they capture meth labs simply by reducing the number of labs.

The drugs will simply come in from other states to fill the demand. The promoters of this legislation sold it as a solution to our “meth problem” and most people associate that phrase with the human cost not the financial one. The term is misleading but it will do what it is intended to do (reduce meth labs) not what we assume it will do (reduce meth usage)

48. Saved by the Blood permalink
    March 1, 2010 3:32 pm

It seems there is resistance to anyone who tries to highlight and contrast the true differences / beliefs of the candidates. It appears some people want to either hide these differences / beliefs or make believe they do not exist. Now … it is not my place to tell someone what they should believe. If Joe wants to believe there is more than one God, that’s his choice and if others want to believe that Jesus is not the Savior, that’s their choice.

However, let’s not pretend these differences do not exist or are meaningless. If they were meaningless then Utah would have representation from Catholics, Baptist, etc. which they do not. Utah currently has 3 Representatives and 2 Senators and ALL are Mormon. That tells me Mormons do not believe a non-Mormon truly represents them. It would seem to me that since South Mississippi consists mostly of Baptists, Methodists and Catholics, our representatives should who truly represents us.

• I. M. Fedup permalink
      March 1, 2010 9:20 pm

Saved, I’ve been Mormon for well over 30 years and the religion you describe and the religion I’ve followed devoutly for over 30 years is no where NEAR the same religion. Your hatefulness, ignorance and bigotry dishonors every decent Southern Baptist I’ve met.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      March 1, 2010 11:10 pm

Saved by Grace, YOU give the rest of us Southern Baptists a bad rep, sir. If you think you are being a good “missionary” of your denomination, you, sir, are sadly mistaken.

When I was young (long time ago), Catholics were not considered
      “Christian”….at least that was what I was taught….neither were Mormons. Now, I am not saying I agree with all Catholic doctrine, nor all Mormon doctrine….but hey, there is only one doctrine….ONE…that is going to determine my eternity and yours or anyone else’s (at least that is what THIS Southern Baptist has been taught and believes)…..AND THAT IS THE DOCTRINE OF SALVATION….by faith and trust in Jesus as God’s Son and his death on the cross for the redemption of my sin… Let’s see…I think it is in God’s Word where I have seen it—-” for by Grace are you saved, through Faith, and not that of yourselves.” Just a reminder to you, sir, look em up, cause it sounds like your memory slips…….John 10:9, Acts 2:21, Acts 15:11, Romans 10:13.

Now, NOT EVEN YOU, can rightly judge a man’s word attesting to his fatih in Jesus as Savior. If you do, you yourself go against scripture.

I am sick of hearing about your personal belief against all Mormons …and if others on this blog would admit it, I bet I have some company….and for you to say we should vote for someone based on their denomination just because the denomination is predominant among the population in this district is like saying we should only vote for a white or a black person because that is what mostly lives here, another ethnic person would be in the minority, so therefore should not represent the rest of us in public office. Is that what you call bigot, hypocrit, or just plain ignorant?

Shame on you, sir.

49. Saved by the Blood permalink
    March 2, 2010 8:45 am

I.M, I now understand why you are so hateful in your posts and want others to keep their opinions to themselves. As a Mormon for well over 30 years, you obviously want your Mormon views represented and you disagree with anyone who has other opinions.

MS82, As far as trying to judge a man’s word regarding his faith, I thought I made it perfect clearly that was not my intention with my statement, “Now … it is not my place to tell someone what they should believe.” However, I do disagree that a person’s beliefs should not be considered when choosing someone to represent you. According to your post, we should even choose someone with radical islamic views as long as he was against imminent domain or supports whatever political ideology in which you agree.

As far as supporting someone with your beliefs, I assume your are calling the people of Utah “bigots, hypocrits, or just plain ignorant” for only supporting Mormons. I sir would never do that!

50. B Linda permalink
    March 4, 2010 4:51 am

I have been friends, co workers, and neighbors with Mormons. I can say I NEVER had a problem, not even ONE with any of them. They were kind (when others were not) and helpful,(When no one else would help) hardworking and dependable.
    Over all they are highly moral people who value their families. All this I like.
    Joe has a work ethic second to none. No one could say he doesn’t work hard.
    The current Incumbent doesn’t seem to work hard, not even for what he will tell people cares about it. His actions fail to measure-up to his words.

51. paul permalink
    April 27, 2010 12:50 am

Whats with the attacks on Mormonism?
    From what I’ve seen they are the most outspoken in defending marriage.
    It’s sad to see these personal attacks on good Christian people.

52. A Mississippian permalink
    June 2, 2010 8:12 am

HAHAHAHAHA … I hate to say I told you so but … I TOLD YOU SO !!
    In my original post I said that Mississippi did not need some guy from Oregon coming down here to tell us what we should do and yet I recieved negative response after negative response. Obviously, I was corrct. Now … it’s time for ya’ll to get on board !!!!