Friday Ramblings with Robert

February 19, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Gene Taylor, Joe Tegerdine, MS-04, state budget, state legislature, Steven Palazzo
by Robert

South Mississippi Showdown

Things could now be interesting in the 4th Congressional district with State Rep. Steven Palazzo stepping into the Republican Primary that for months only featured Joe Tegredine.  Tegredine has had about a 10 month head start on things, but any advantage he could have built up is surely equalized by having a candidate enter who already logically has a solid base to build on.  I feel like we now have two really good primary showdowns in this state when for so long it looked as though most attention would be focused on the happenings in north Mississippi.  The race between Tegredine and Palazzo should be interesting though, but could either really overcome Gene Taylor in a general election.  Taylor has a track record that most people in his district are ok with as evidenced by his seemingly easy re-elections every 2 years.  I suppose their could be such disgust and outrage from voters toward anyone with a D behind their name that Taylor could be vulnerable, but is it enough for Tegredine or Palazzo.  I am of the opinion right now that Taylor probably still holds onto his seat, but it should be interesting to see if Joe Tegredine or Steven Palazzo can drum up enough support to possibly pull off a big upset here.

Raiding the Reserves

Budget battles continue in Jackson with the most recent calling for $79 million to come out of reserve funds for the state.  The bulk would actually come from tobacco settlement money.  Now I don’t have a problem with taking a little here and there in times of need because that is what it is there for, but by no means should it be a constant budget solution.  I just get the feeling that lawmakers are constantly targeting reserve funds as the solution to budget issues instead of actually being forward thinking and realizing that maybe you can’t do this every year.  Surely, someone has got to have a better idea on how to balance out a budget.  Realistically that money will not be there forever with this kind of raiding so at some point there is going to have to be a better idea.

1. C. Hill permalink
    February 19, 2010 11:08 am

Most people in the 4th district are ok with Taylor’s record because they have no idea how he shields his votes by making sure the liberal agenda makes it to the floor for a vote…and then sits back and votes no (because he knows his district will only see that vote.) Or, how he votes yes for any liberal agenda that is neatly tucked into a military spending bill and sadly weeps–he simply can’t vote against our military. Yes he can…vote no on any military bill that adds non-military crap (like the hate crimes bill) and then vote yes on a cleaned up strictly pro-military bill.

As for Rep. Steve Palazzo: he is just another insider who “knows better than the little people.” He votes against imminent domain reform–the government knows how to use your possessions better than you do. He votes to make honest Mississippians go to their doctors to get a $6 prescription (adding $60-$100 to an already too expensive medical drag on the economy) instead of legislation that would simply track all Sudafed purchases.

2. Tony permalink
    February 20, 2010 6:51 am

I don’t see how you can call Palazzo an insider. He has spent most of his adult life in the military and only been in the state legislature for four years. He is a local boy and a small business owner (CPA firm). Until just a few years ago, instead of preaching his conserative principles as a member of the GOP he was living his principles as a member of our armed forces.

Each person does need to support their candidate with energy and passion, but stop tearing down the other conservatives in the race. You may disagree with the other candidates view on one or two things, but surely not as much as you disagree with Gene Taylor’s views. So if the goal is to unseat Taylor and get someone in who will not support her, we all need to come out of this primary together behind the eventual winner. Tearing down the other candidate at all cost will come back to bite all conservatives in the Fourth District when the general election comes around. The GOP candidate will need the supporters of all primary candidates to unseat Taylor.

3. Tony permalink
    February 20, 2010 6:53 am

Oops. When I say “her” above in the second paragraph I meant Pelosi. Should have proofread before hitting submit!

4. C. Hill permalink
    February 20, 2010 10:59 am

I agree with you that Taylor is worse, but a true conservative would not vote against imminent domain reform or to force you to go to the doctor to get a prescription for Sudafed, a nonprescription drug available for many years. Where is the authority in the Constitution? The problems faced by this country is that Republicans have started morphing into Democrats over the past few decades. It seems that many start “public service” with the right intentions, but something seems to happen to them. They begin to believe that they know better than the rest of us–that we are just too stupid to know what is best for ourselves.
    Seems like that has begun to happen to Palazzo. It definitely has happened to Taylor.
    Seems like term limits is another needed reform.

5. Michael Johnson permalink
    February 21, 2010 2:41 am

Check this new video some Tegerdine volunteers sent in…He had a town-hall down in D’Iberville Mississippi with standing room only.
    I think the user is GoTegerdine and you can see a lot of Joe’s videos on here

6. Brinda S. permalink
    February 21, 2010 1:39 pm

I was looking for SP youtube videos, blogs, or websites with him for Congress, official or unofficial sites. all I can find is Joe Tegerdine fan stuff. I think he may have a bit of a head start on Palazzo and I’m wonder if he can catch up. Where are his sites? To bad he didn’t get in earlier I think he lost a lot of supporters delaying his entry. I will try again later in hopes to see actions that look more like campaign mode. OK what I really wonder is if he is really going to run.
    Meanwhile I am learning loads about Joe Tegerdine, and I already KNOW I Won’t vote for GT.

7. Al G. permalink
    February 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I think the reason a lot of people are excited about Joe Tegerdine is because he isn’t a part of the established system and it’s the system that most people are unhappy with. They’re unhappy with Democrats and Republicans and parties and party politics. With Joe Tegerdine they see a chance to vote for someone outside the system, someone who hasn’t had their principles corrupted by the political process. I’m sure the other guy is a great American and everyone can appreciate his military service and his time in the State Senate. But I want a candidate who represents me and my values because he wants to and feels called to do so and not because he was coronated by a national party to represent Mississippi or because he wants to continue to pad his political resume. I think that will be reflected in the primary. People will choose Tegerdine because he has shown his leadership by building his campaign from the ground up on principles, not strategic planning by a national party.

8. William Lee Sr. permalink
    March 1, 2010 4:24 pm

I know that other candidates jumped into the race, after the vulnerability of Democrats was so well demonstrated in Mass., but, Joe got into the race while the incumbent seemed invincible.
    That says something for his integrity, he is running on principles, not democratic vulnerability.
    You may think that the incumbent is still invulnerable, but wait till you see the TRUTH hit the media in paid ads and not filtered by leftist editorial staffs of the government-controlled media. Not just his voting record but WHY! he voted as he did. Meaningless votes that LOOK conservative, while every closely contested vote was solidly LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL!!!.
    The ONLY thing that the incumbent has going for him is that he is the KING OF PORK. When voters wake up and realize that we need to stop robbing other states to fund our shortcomings HE IS OUT!!!