McGlowan’s Odd Exchange With Some Ole Miss Students

February 25, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Angela McGlowan, MS-01, Young Americans for Liberty

I am not sure why negative stories of Angela McGlowan seem to come up with ease, but the latest is an exchange that took place before McGlowan’s campaign stop at Ole Miss with Judge Joe Brown last Friday.

According to the Young Americans for Liberty- Ole Miss chapter blog, the group had set up a booth inside the student union offering prizes if someone could name the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution (aka the Bill of Rights). Seeing if McGlowan could do it seemed like a good idea to at least one member:

The student group member who approached Mrs. McGlowan asked if she could name the first ten amendments in exchange for a prize, to which she responded that she could but would not do so while standing in the sun on the front steps of the Student Union. The student then replied that Mrs. McGlowan’s response led him to believe that she could not in fact name the first ten amendments. At this remark, the Congress hopeful became noticeably perturbed and summoned UPD (University Police Department) officers to have the student removed from the area. Knowledgeable of the situation and the students’ rights, UPD did not remove the student from the area and simply sought to cool the situation down. One officer even remarked that he didn’t see what all the fuss was about, as he had tried to win the prize at the group’s table earlier in the week.

I don’t think not being able to recite the first ten amendments to the Constitution rules someone out as an elected official. If the story was McGlowan couldn’t name them, no big deal, it’s not a story in my opinion. I imagine most members of Congress would come up short in this task.

However, assuming this story is true, it makes you scratch your head at the way McGlowan approached everything. Why say you can do something but you’re not going to- and blame in on the sun? Why escalate the situation by bringing in the police? It just seems unprofessional, and something you don’t do when you are running for office. These are things you sort out before you make your run, not during it. And this type of action does not seem to be an isolated event.

Update: After listening to most of the Gallo interview (courtesy of Y’all Politics), this story did come up. McGlowan did dispute most of the article referenced above. At one point she said she thought they were plants- people put their by other campaigns to disrupt her. She said the issue was that the students were behind the podium when the press conference was about to begin, she said they were “out of order,” that she would take questions later and that UPD did get them to move. Just a rebuttal to get both sides.

1. Matt permalink
    February 25, 2010 5:28 pm

I’m actually willing to give McGlowan the benefit of the doubt on her actions, but I’d still like to see video if anyone got it. From the blog post, it sounds as if the student from the group appraoched McGlowan at the podium before her press conference was about to start and asked her to name the 10 amendments. Anyone with a little bit of tact might realize that this would not be the best time to approach a candidate to ask them to engage in a exercise like that. Then the student showed a lack of respect and accused McGlowan of not being able to name the amendments.

I’d bet McGlowan was simply concerned based on this guy’s actions that they were going to disrupt her press conference. A lot of these Young Americans for Liberty/Ron Paul activists are agitators. They exist to try and make a scene. Look at what they did to CPAC. They weren’t there to hear conservatives speak or engage in training but to simply vote for Ron Paul in a straw poll and to listen to him speak.

We’ve all seen the Youtube videos of Ron Paul-aligned crazies showing up at conservative book signings and political speeches to badger the speakers about whether the United States blew up the World Trade Center with President Bush pushing the button. These people are not real conservatives. And these Young Americans for Liberty students at Ole Miss ought not be disrespectful to any political candidate.

2. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    February 25, 2010 6:06 pm

To be fair, McGlowan did discribe the incident at Ole MS the same as you describe it here. I have been at Tea Parties where some of the Young Libertarians were and they are unruly to the point of disrupting speeches and creating chaos. Hopefully they are not being confused with Tea Party folks or republicans in general.

• freedom lover permalink
      March 1, 2010 1:41 pm

Really, those YAL surely would have made the news for rowdy behavior at Tea Parties. How we miss that ? All I have ever seen is a bunch of blue hair red necks at Tea Parties.

3. mcclown permalink
    February 25, 2010 6:12 pm

I mean really…wow. just wow.

• Frank Lee permalink
      February 25, 2010 8:29 pm

I see you have come up with the same name that I did for McClown and I love it. I posted it in my comments a few days ago. I guess great minds really do think alike.

4. jdhead permalink
    February 25, 2010 11:32 pm

I am a YAL member here at Ole Miss. I can assure you none of us were agitating McGlowan. Asking a Congressional candidate to name the Bill of Rights is not agitating, seeing as how they if they were to win they would swear an oath to that very document.

Matt, isn’t it just like a “conservative” to be afraid of what you call “agitators” and agree that their right to free speech should be carried off by the police. No, YAL members are not “conservatives,” as conservatives have always been the supporters of government intervention. And we have every right in the world to ask a congressional candidate to name the Bill of Rights without you’re ignorant accusations that we are being disrespectful. I’m sorry if you’re candidates could care less about the Constitution, but frankly, that is what YAL is sick of. And if “agitating” a few congressional candidates is necessary to run these people out of office, then so be it. Also, I believe it is a bit obtuse to accuse our group of believing the US was behind 9/11 simply because you “claim” to have seen somebody say that on youtube.

And to Tea Party Leader II, we can only hope we are not confused with the Tea Party movement. That movement has been turned into a joke by neocons. The Tea Party movement started with us, libertarians, the true liberty lovers. You republicans have butchered everything it stood for with you’re imperialistic lunacy. The Tea Party “movement” is nothing but a bunch of neocons parading around in limited-government masks until another republican wins the White House. Then all of you will go back to doing what you do best, which is blowing up the world.

5. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    February 26, 2010 10:58 am

Glad you asked Missy McClowan! Who is your candidate?

6. Simon Jester permalink
    February 27, 2010 9:33 am

Sounds in line with much of McGlowan’s actions. She continues to show her true colors. She is an anti-liberty hack. She has said she is in support of federal gun registration. Watch her closely!

—Simon

7. mediaman59 permalink
    February 27, 2010 7:58 pm

I went to the first two Tea Parties in the Tupelo/Booneville area. I agree with jdhead, the movement started and grew with Libertarian support. It was, I feel, hijacked by conservatives who wanted to make the most of the backlash of the election of Mr. Obama.
    I am sorry but Ms.McGlowan is a joke. If she could make a point it would be different, she is in defense mode 24/7 because of the gun registration comment while she was a comentator/lobbyist/devil’s advocate/reporter. Take your pick. You better be on your game if you invade Paul Gallo’s territory.
    Maybe she will pull enough votes from Nunnelee if she doesn’t bail out and Henry Ross will win the primary. Fresh and common sense, that is what we need.

8. jghenike permalink
    March 1, 2010 3:58 pm

I was of the two Young Americans For Liberty members who asked Miss McGlowan to name the amendments. To her credit she very polite, initially. Myself and another YAL member approached and asked her if there was going to be a Q & A session. She said no, but she very politely offered to answer my question right then. So I asked. McGlowan gave us the same response several professors had. She was embarrassed at not knowing the answer so she evaded by talking about “plants” and “the sun” and “time” and whatever.

She did not like our question, as most politicians wouldn’t, and this is why we will continue to ask it. If the Bill of Rights is not important to our elected officials, who is going to ensure that we retain those rights?

John H
    Young Americans for Liberty – Ole Miss Chapter

• Amber permalink
      March 1, 2010 4:55 pm

If anything I bet Ross and Nunnelee have brushed up on The Bill of Rights. Good job. It bothers me that she did not just say “I don’t know. But now that you have asked I know I need to familiarize myself again.” I am not looking for perfection. Just honesty and character. Like the Gallo show in August once again she does the wrong thing and makes it worse.