Monday Election Notebook

March 8, 2010
tags: 2010 House, 2012 President, MS-01, MS-02, MS-04

MS-01: Alan Nunnelee spoke about healthcare reform this morning, and offered this statement which includes nine bullets points for healthcare reform that he would support.

MS-01: Patsy Brumfield covered Alan Nunnelee’s press conference today (although you may think she did it on behalf of the Childers campaign). I think this offers a good perspective on what we should expect from the newspaper that doubled as Childers’ campaign HQs in 2008- apparently not much has changed this time around.

MS-01: Angela McGlowan seems to be getting a lot of attention from the liberal blog, Talking Points Memo. They wrote up a second story on her support for social security privatization, as outlined in a press release her campaign issued last week. On a side note, they said they are awaiting a response from the Nunnelee campaign. Hopefully they ignore the request, and realize no Republicans should be communicating with that blog.

MS-01: Independent candidate Les Green said he will officially begin his campaign on Thursday, according to the Daily Journal. His campaign kickoff event will be at noon at Gale Community Center on Elm Street in Hernando.

MS-02: WLBT has a very short write-up on George Bailey, a Clinton native, who is running in the GOP primary for the right to take on Bennie Thompson. Here is some of that story: “George Bailey is a Republican who says he is strong about his faith. Bailey is a former veteran who also worked in law enforcement. If elected, he says he wants to reform the corrections system, work with academic institutions and civil organizations.”

MS-04: Steven Palazzo will be speaking on Tuesday night at Southern Miss along with several GOP leaders including Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant, Sen. Pro Term Billy Hewes, and GOP Chair Brad White.

MS-04: Palazzo’s primary opponent, Joe Tegerdine, will be speaking at the same event. Don’t expect much in the way of fireworks.

MS-04: A new pro-Tegerdine/ anti-Taylor website (www.genepelositaylor.com) has a couple posts up criticizing the incumbent and this post- it looks familiar, where have I seen it before?

2010 House: Here is one bloggers coverage on the four Congressional races that are up for grabs in the state this fall. He labeled Thompson, Harper and Taylor as safe, while giving the slight edge to Childers in the first.

2012 President: Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch will most likely support Mitt Romney in 2012 (as he did in 2008) should the former Massachusetts governor run again. And one of the two names he mentioned as a possible VP candidate is Haley Barbour. Should Haley not run in 2012, I imagine we will then begin to hear VP talks.

1. Amber permalink
    March 8, 2010 9:59 pm

Nunnelee’s response on healthcare is just what we need. He’ll make a great rep in D.C. Go Nunnelee!!!!

2. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    March 8, 2010 10:23 pm

I like Nunnelee’s health care plan. He covered everything that the Republicans covered in their meeting with the Dems and Obama. If you watched it on TV Nunnelee’s plan was a compilation of most of the suggestions the Republican Party presented. He should fit right in – more of the same.

• Republican Dawg permalink
      March 8, 2010 10:29 pm

So what would you like to hear? There’s nothing wrong with following the party when there right. These are common sense, market based solutions. Should someone say well if the Democrats or Republicans support it then I can’t agree with it? Like I said, let’s hear your alternative ideas…

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
        March 8, 2010 10:35 pm

Nunnelee is running for office not me. I am looking for a candidate with some fresh ideas. The plan he presented is fine but he should not be credited for coming up with something that others have already done. Health care has to cover the tough areas as well including Medicare and Medicaid. There is nothing in his plan to tackle these hard problems.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
          March 8, 2010 11:19 pm

Tea Party Leader II your man is Ross. So what original ideas does he have for us. His website is pathetic when it comes to specifics about any of the real issues. I am offended by your responses elsewhere on this blog insinuating Nunnelees people play dirty then you are so hipocritical as to pull this. Every comment you make comes from the Ross talking points memo that has not been updated in four weeks. The man cant even manage to get the national debt calculator working on his site. I am sorry to tell you this but Ross seems very unmotivated to me as well as the thousands of other voters that I have spoken with recently. All the thousands of people that I have spoken with seem to think that Nunnelee is the only real choice for District 1. Besides I thought you Tea Party Leaders were suppose to be neutral.

• Republican Dawg permalink
            March 9, 2010 7:29 am

I have nothing against Ross. He hasn’t done anything to hurt the Republicans like McGlowan so I won’t bash him. That said, I don’t get how someone says I don’t like his plan and then say well I don’t know what I’d like.

I did go over to Ross’ site and here is what he says on healthcare: http://www.henryrossforcongress.com/healthcare/

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
            March 9, 2010 8:44 am

Yes, Ross’s plan kinda sounds the same as Alan Nunnelee’s, just a little more detail. Ross needs to address the other issues as well to get my vote.

• Gulf Coast Resident permalink
            March 9, 2010 8:12 pm

How about allowing HSAs for everyone regardless of insurance or instituting the Fair Tax?

Stop enrollment in Medicare/Medicaid (keep who is on it on it) stop Social Security applications or back the age up to 80. Keep paying current recipients. Allow anyone to opt out that wants…PERIOD.

• marmie permalink
            March 10, 2010 9:26 am

So, again we penalize law abiders and workers? Why keep paying those SSI checks to kids who act out in school at their parents behest? Why keep paying SS checks to people who have never paid a nickel into the program? Do you want to return the money paid into the program to people who opt out? Will they get interest on their contributions? Do you really want the elderly to work until age 80? Your idea sounds great if you haven’t been forced to pay SS for forty years. I did like the Fair Tax.

3. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    March 8, 2010 11:25 pm

Republican Dawg she wants to hear Nunnelee and McClown have resigned and Ross wins and in turn Childers wins. That would make her day.

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
      March 9, 2010 8:25 am

I resent being called she, and the last time I checked I have a right to my opinion and the freedom to express it. If you disagree fine – I will not attack you, I will listen to what you have to say. As far as I can see there are no fresh answers coming from Nunnelee just more of the same. If he can’t come up with something to solve our Medicare or Medicaid issues than he does not have the answers to Healthcare. This blogg is about Nunnelee’s healthcare and there is no mention of Ross. Ross did not do a big press release on his plan. If he does I will comment on that too and if it does not have a solution or at least an idea about the tough issues then I will be critical of it too. So far I am not impressed by Alan Nunnelee.

4. Sarah permalink
    March 9, 2010 12:10 am

Is that the same George Bailey that runs the bank in Bedford Falls?
    I bet Mr. Potter is supporting Bennie Thompson. Well that gives me another reason to dislike Bennie Thompson.

5. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    March 9, 2010 8:15 am

I have attached a comment by soomeone called Grizz from 1 day ago on the Mississippi chapter of Patriotic Resistance. “i have tickets available for the March 18th,Thurs. eve. eat,meet,and greet the Candidates dinner @ Generals Quarters in Corinth.this is an officaily sanctioned GOP fundraising dinner where all 3 Candidated will be walking among you to meet and directly answer your questions.–1st appearance of all Republican Candidates together!$20.00 a ticket,all proceeds go directly to local GOP party. attending; Henry Ross,Angela McGlowan,Alan Nunnelee.contact me as tickets going fast may not be any left @ door.”
    I am not sure how to contact Grizz but I thought some of you may be interested in going to this event as well. This should be an interesting event because the Generals Quarters is owned by a lady who runs the blog for the Mississippi Magnolias chapter of Smart Girl politics and she also post on this site. Big Ross supported.
    I should be sure to mention that McGlowan has had a few events at the GQ herself. As a matter of fact the pictures that surfaced of McGlowan and Ross together with her book were taken by this Grizz person at the Generals Quarters during McGlowans candidacy announcment according to the Grizz that post at the Mississippi Magnolias chapter of Smart Girl politics.
    This is an interesting web if you are a Nunnelee fan. Talk about dirty politics.
    You can see all of this for yourself by reading the post on this site along with the post on the other two sites I mentioned.

• Chris permalink
      March 9, 2010 10:21 am

The owner of GQ is Charlotte Doehner (and her husband), most likely the person who use to post under Charlotte and like you said runs the Mississippi Magnolia’s page and a big Ross supporter.

Im guessing this isn’t an actual debate, but its weird that we haven’t heard more about this. Wonder if McGlowan can be on good behavior the whole night…

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
        March 9, 2010 10:49 am

As for McGlowan I do not think she is capable of behaving for a night.
        The whole thing sounds like a set-up to me. From reading the old post of the lady you refered to she seems to have a real chip on her shoulder about Nunnelee as a person.
        I have to wonder if its because he did not use her place of business as the other candidates did to announce his candidacy?” i.e. the Ross, McGlowan pics” But then agian if this eat and meet is an indicator of the kind of publicity you get when you use an out of the way place like this then I dont blame Nunnelee for going elsewhere.
        Still another post suggest that she works for Ross and blogs as a mole of sorts for Ross.
        Either way I/we must be smart with our vote and be aware of what is fact and what is fabricated about each candidate.

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
        March 9, 2010 11:08 am

I called the Generals Quarters and spoke with the lady. She said that the Republican Party has reserved the Inn for a fundraiser that they are doing in Alcorn County. All three republican Dist 1 candidates are invited and have accepted as well as all the local republicans who are running for office this year. The money they raise is going to support the party. The tickets have just gone on sale and are $20.00 a piece. There will be food and music and she hopes many folks will attend. It will start at 7:00 PM on March 18. She said that Alcorn county is working to keep the republican party together in good fellowship.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
          March 9, 2010 11:21 am

I just called the place myself to reserve some tickets. I talked with Mrs. Doehner, as we have had some disagreements, but she was very open about her working to help Ross get the nomination. Very nice and honest lady. She does still post on this site under an assumed name, which I will not reveal, as an undecided voter who is leaning tward Ross. She said she gets more response that way. I am looking forward to going to the eat, meet, and greet.

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
            March 9, 2010 11:25 am

Great I will see you there – I will be the one wearing the cowboy hat!

• Charlotte permalink
            March 9, 2010 1:06 pm

I don’t know who this person is or why they would print this – but I have never had this conversation with anyone.

6. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    March 9, 2010 8:37 am

Thank you for that info. Did you say that it is posted on Patriotic Resistance? With all three candidates there it will be a good chance to talk with them all. Sounds good to me. Where is General’s Quarters?

7. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    March 9, 2010 8:50 am

Just googled it. The Generals Quarters Inn 924 Fillmore Street Corinth, MS. For anyone who wants to go. Also there will be a Tea Party in Tupelo on April 3 – Tea Party Express function. All three candidates will there to speak as well.

8. Amber permalink
    March 9, 2010 11:32 am

Brett,
    How would Romney do in Mississippi? I was shocked by the anti-mormon comments directed at Tegerdine. Since Romney is also Mormon how do you see him fairing here and in the south in general? As for me being a Mormon is a now issue.

• March 9, 2010 11:40 am

Some of the stuff re: Tegerdine did surprise me too. In a general election, I think he’d do fine because the only other option would be Obama. However, in a primary against either Huckabee- who has the obvious connection with the South/ Christians or Sarah Palin- who has her connection with grassroots voters, I’d say he’d be probably finish third in that bunch in MS. Will Romney being a Mormon cost him some votes? Probably. But I don’t think it will alter how he does in MS.

9. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    March 9, 2010 12:04 pm

I understand Huckabee and Palin are juggernauts in the south but if you removed them from the equation and you throw Pawlenty into the mix agianst a Romney especially with the Mormon thing? Do you think he would stand a chance in MS?
    Also who do you all give the edge to between Huckabee and Palin?
    I am not trying to high jack this thread I am just wondering everyones thoughts on these scenarios.

• Amber permalink
      March 9, 2010 12:24 pm

I would go with Huckabee over Palin. But I would go with Pawlenty over both. I am to the point that anyone would be better than what we have. The governor of Indiana is also getting buzz. I wish a REALLY strong candidate would emerge in the GOP.

• Frank Lee permalink
      March 9, 2010 12:41 pm

I would go:
      Palin
      Pawlenty
      Huckabee
      Anyone else
      Romney
      Just my 2 cents.
      I almost agree with you on the fact that anyone is better but Obama has taught me to not say that because I use to say that about Clinton. Let me tell you I didn’t think it could get worse than Clinton but ohhh was I wrong. There are some people even in lower offices now that are much worse than the Obamanation we now have.

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
        March 9, 2010 12:47 pm

Ditto Frank. My line up as well.

• marmie permalink
        March 9, 2010 12:53 pm

I would put Mitch Daniels on the list.

• Amber permalink
        March 9, 2010 1:07 pm

It is hard to believe you look back and think Wow Clinton was moderate. Frank Lee do you think Palin is electable to more than just political news junkies? To me she is moving into an unknown sphere. She is beginning to be over exposed in some areas. I really like her playing the bull dog. She is good at calling attention to an issue but I get nervous when she speaks. I fear she is going to say too much or something inappropriate.

• Frank Lee permalink
          March 9, 2010 1:35 pm

TPII we seem to agree on alot.
          Marmie yes I think Daniels would make a great candidate.
          Amber if y0u are referring to Palins interview skills making you nervous I agree she definitely needs some work in that area.
          As far as just giving a prepared speech she is great IMO.
          As far as over exposure I think she and Huckabee both have that problem.
          You are right about her being a good “bulldog” and wistle blower. Although I would have liked for her to have called out Rush for his insensitive remarks about some Dems. being ret_rds. He was just as guilty of being a jerk as anyone on that subject.

• Amber permalink
            March 9, 2010 1:41 pm

I completely agree and I lost some points for her on that. I think he is damaging.

10. RandomThoughts permalink
    March 9, 2010 2:21 pm

Prediction: put Palin anywhere on the ticket and Obama will get re-elected

• Amber permalink
      March 9, 2010 2:54 pm

You are so right!!!!! I like her as a person and I like her personal beliefs but the media has painted her as dumber than Bush. I honestly think she is going to use this as an opportunity to make as much money as possible and to that I say good for her. Even if you do not like Romney you have to admit he is polished and smooth. I saw him with Chris Wallace on Sunday and he was being nailed on healthcare in MA and he was steady and unflappable. I do think both Palin and Huckabee are not going to be candidates.