Wednesday Election Notebook

March 10, 2010
tags: 2010 House, 2010 Senate, 2012 President, MS-01, MS-04

MS-01: I mentioned earlier today that Angela McGlowan has completed her campaign website, and if you stroll over to the Issues section, you will see that the first topic she mentions is the Second Amendment. McGlowan says, in part, “I will fight against each and every attempt by government to require law-abiding citizens to register the firearms they have the right to possess.”

MS-01: Angela McGlowan is also starting to utilize her Twitter account. She was recently asked by some random person in Ohio- “Are you really for gun control?” McGlowan responded by saying, “No! These are lies spread by my opponent.”

MS-01: Travis Childers apparently didn’t give a response to The Hill about the Congressman’s position on healthcare reform when recently asked. I have no reason to suspect Childers would change his vote to yes, but it makes you wonder why his office wouldn’t respond if for no other reason then to dispel claims by opponents that he waits to get the OK from Nancy Pelosi before voting. That said, The Hill has moved Childers from the “No comment” column to “Firm No, Leaning No, Likely No.”

MS-04: Steven Palazzo made a comment on his Facebook page that will probably raise some eyebrows from Joe Tegerdine supporters. Palazzo said, “…we are going to send a conservative and a Republican to Washington. One who was born and raised in Mississippi.” Tegerdine, as has been mentioned on this blog, was born and raised in the Northwest before moving to Petal a few years back.

MS-04: Joe Tegerdine and Steven Palazzo both made appearances at a GOP event last night in Hattiesburg. According to Tegerdine, it “ended up being a major event with a debate like format.”

MS-04: Steven Palazzo has just updated his campaign website, PalazzoForCongress.com. It now how has plenty of information including a bio, stances on issues, news, and a blog.

2010 House & Senate: Roger Wicker played political analyst recently when he said this about Democrats and healthcare: If Senate bill passes, it will be “the paramount issue that will see a lot of (Democrats) going home for good after the November elections.”

2012 President: Writing on his blog, Jim Herring calls Haley Barbour the “dark horse” in the race and lays out several reasons why Barbour would make a strong candidate. He also touches on some of Barbour’s baggage, and how he could handle what would potentially be thrown at him.

1. mspolitics82 permalink
    March 10, 2010 11:44 pm

I get tired of remarks from “politicians” like ….”I was born and raised in Miss.” (“and you weren’t…nanna nanna nanna”). Please. What the crap does that have to do with the time of day? Surely the man doesn’t think voters are really stupid enough to think that local birth/long=term residency qualifies you to be Congressman or makes you a better candidate than another person. It apparently did not matter 20 years ago when the people of that district elected Gene Taylor, (because he was not born nor raised in Miss.) and I don’t think it is an issue now. Frankly, I don’t even know why that comment even made Wednesday’s Election Notebook…..give us something that relates to the REAL ISSUES and to what matters in Congress. A Congressman takes an allegiance to the U.S. Constitution, not the Ms. Constitution. Joe Tegerdine and his wife live in Ms. now because THEY CHOSE TO LIVE HERE AND STAY HERE TO RAISE THEIR CHILDREN; to me, that speaks volume. What does it take to be born here and raised here—–it wasn’t Palazzo’s decision!!!! To even suggest that this issue disqualifies (to any degree) Tegerdine from being a Congressman for that district is beyond ridiculous, and is nothing more than typical political propoganda from typical politicians. I for one am tired of having typical politicians serving in Congress. Palazzo would be wise to find some TALKING POINTS THAT MATTER.

• From Mississippi... permalink
      March 11, 2010 7:38 am

I imagine Tegerdine’s Internet army is gonna come on here and say how right you are and it doesn’t matter where he’s from…but it does. How many current Congressmen from MS aren’t from MS? I guess Taylor is from NOLA, but obviously lived in MS/ held local elected office for a long time before entering Congress, and there is an obvious connection between NOLA and the Coast. How many governors, and other statewide officials, aren’t from MS and moved here just a couple years before they ran and won? How about even State Reps or State Senators? The truth is this does matter to people or else we’d have a lot more non-native Mississippians representing us.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        March 11, 2010 8:42 am

The truth? To who? Just because there aren’t many non-native Mississippians running for office, it doesn’t mean it’s because people would not vote for them….that was a BIG stretch, there. Here’s the truth to a lot of people I know— If a person lives in South Mississippi, believes what I believe politically and otherwise, AND is knowledgeable of the problems/issues at the national level and is willing to actually go and FIGHT for our rights, then what does it matter where he was born and raised? I guarantee you Tegerdine already knows about issues around the district that Palazzo has no clue about, and I am sure Palazzo has some knowledge of things on the Gulf Coast that Tegerdine does not. Gene Taylor did not know about a lot of things concerning South Ms. when he got elected (and still doesn’t—all he seems to care about is the Gulf Coast) !!! This “native son” stuff goes a little deeper and becomes regionalism, too. The people up in the Pine Belt and regions farther north in District 4 have felt “left out” during Gene Taylor’s “reign over his kingdom”. Now, we want someone who will care about us ALL.

2. Matt permalink
    March 11, 2010 12:00 am

Anybody got video of the GOP meeting at USM with Palazzo and Tegerdine?

3. CaptDeacon permalink
    March 11, 2010 8:00 am

In a country that developed the mass-produced automobile, how many folks are really living exactly where they are “from”? If we want to send someone to Washington “from here”, just pull the Gene lever.

But that’s the problem. We’ve been pulling the Gene lever for 20 years. Now we have a guy who tries to represent Washington to us rather than representing us in Washington. Meanwhile we have socialism, staggering debt, and serious national defense issues staring us in the face.

Joe Tegerdine started out with a platform based on the issues we in district 4 clearly care about. Joe Tegerdine is running on a promise to represent us in Washington and to fight for those things we care about when we turn out to let our voices be heard.

• Say It Ain't So Joe permalink
      March 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Joe is running on a platform that has been changing every month since he announced. His speech and issues change with the crowd that he is speaking to, it seems. He is trying to be a southern populous, a 9/12 guy, a Republican (although his rhetoric leads me to believe he HATES Republican), and anything else he thinks will get him elected. I heard one of Joe’s Supporter at the USM event, say “I F*****g HATE republicans.” As a Republican I cannot support a guy who will cater to crowd.

I also can’t find out much about Joe, but from what I’ve gathered, Joe is from Seattle, then moved to Oregon, then to Florida, and just recently to our state of Mississippi. I don’t he chose to live here, I think he chose to run for Congress here. He works for a Chinese/Taiwanese company that imports Chinese made products into our country and our state. How does this create jobs? He says he is going to represent MS, but how do we know he isn’t going to represent the Chinese/Taiwanese company he works for?

I have always been a Republican and I am voting for Steven Palazzo. He has created jobs as a small business owner. Palazzo has represented South Mississippi in the MS Legislature with distinction, served in the military with honor, and was BORN and RAISED in MS and educated with Mississippi values and will fight to represent our values in Washington. He is also the only candidate who can beat Gene.

• Chris permalink
        March 11, 2010 4:02 pm

He is also the only candidate who can beat Gene.

I agree

• March 11, 2010 4:17 pm

I disagree. Joe’s platform, while incredibly detailed, is remarkably consistent. There is a unified theme running throughout his campaign. That he brings up different issues at each event to illustrate personal political philosophy shows a man of complexity of thought and depth, not empty rhetoric. So one of Joe’s supporters says they hate Republicans. That must mean that support hates Joe too, because he is a Republican. But Joe is a Republican in philosophy and in practice, like the rest of us, and not another party insider who got called up from the minors to play in the Big Leagues. To say that Joe did not choose to live in Mississippi but instead is here to run for office in Mississippi is a complete fabrication and a completely uncalled for accusation. If you’re going to make charges that a candidate is corrupt, you had better have some proof to back that up. The fact is that Joe Tegerdine has lived here since before Katrina and continues to live here because he sees his personal convictions reflected in the values of Mississippi. You say you’ve looked for more about Joe, well I say you haven’t looked hard enough. Try looking at his website where you’ll find all of the content was written by Joe and not some rubber-stamp, one size fits all party website like some other candidates.

• March 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I misspoke. Joe Tegerdine has been here since 2007, not since before Katrina as I previously stated. I errered in this one fact. But the fact remains that Joe is stays here because he chooses to. Any implication that Joe is a puppet for a Chinese corporation or any other corporation or entity needs to be supported by evidence.

• mike2 permalink
        March 11, 2010 4:38 pm

You have some fabrications in your post…..not sure where you heard them, or if you just are making them up. People who post on here should at least have the decency to keep their information to the TRUTH, and not hearsay. Such stuff really discredits the candidate you support, and the shame of it, he has very little control over what you say (at least I hope that’s the case).

• mike2 permalink
          March 11, 2010 4:40 pm

My above post was meant for the person who posted as Say It Ain’t So Joe…..not for the person who posted as AL

• poohbear permalink
        March 12, 2010 12:06 am

Well said, Gene. Highly inaccurate, but well said. Now, go ask your staffers what else you need to write tomorrow.

4. March 11, 2010 9:19 am

That’s pretty weak if the only reason you can come up with is “I’m from Biloxi!” After looking at the two websites it’s easy to see that Joe Tegerdine’s message is selling well. So well in fact that Palazzo is making it his message to and then slapping a “Made in Mississippi” sticker on it. Except when you compare the two side by side you see that Tegerdine’s is filled substance, in-depth knowledge, and specific solutions. The other website is full of vague generalities and empty talking points, which is exactly what I’m sick of hearing from politicians. If you want a politician and party leadership in Washinton come Nov, you’ve got two flavors to choose from. I want real representation in my Congressional seat and that’s why I’m pulling the lever for Joe Tegerdine.

5. Matt permalink
    March 11, 2010 4:33 pm

I assume that if someone from South MS is supporting Steven Palazzo simply because he was born and raised in MS–they have also decided that they won’t be voting for Coast businessman Dave Dennis when he runs for Governor…seeing as how Dennis was neither born in MS nor raised in MS. Dennis has however lived most of his adult life in Gulfport as far as I can tell and is more involved than most people in Coast activities.

I can understand there being an issue for some people that someone would swoop in to MS, live here for only two years and then go for a high office like Congress without having first gotten involved in lots of stuff in the local and state communities. But that’s different than saying someone shouldn’t be elected because he didn’t live in MS as a child.

6. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Joe’s message has been consistent through the entire campaign. You talk a lot of crap, give specific examples of where Joe has lied about anything? I guess Joe could say the exact same ten minute speech at each event… would that satisfy you? I suppose that’s what Palaxxo is going to do? Say the same exact speech and talking points at each event? Please… you’re a moron.

This election can be about issues… or it can about b.s. that has nothing to do with the character and platforms of the candidates. Either way is fine with me…

• mike2 permalink
      March 11, 2010 4:48 pm

I agree with you, MIKE…100%…..what Say It Ain’t So Joe posted and others who are talking about things that DON’t MATTER are doing nothing more than weakening the Republican effort to get Taylor out in November. Makes one wonder if it’s not the DEMS who are doing this…and choosing Tegerdine as the “whipping post” because they fear him the most, since he obviously has a much wider reach at this point considering he has been in the race for almost a year.

Palazzo and Tegerdine would be wise, if they have not already done so, to admonish their people to speak to ONLY the issues at hand….healthcare, jobs, energy, etc. ….not the trivial crap that doesn’t matter in the end. In the end, it’s who understands the issues the best, and who will get to Washington and FIGHT LIKE HE CARES, no matter what the PARTY thinks about it. PARTY POLITICS is destroying this nation….but then, George Washington told us it would in his Farewell Address !!!

7. Raiseya permalink
    March 11, 2010 4:58 pm

My dad, a savvy MS businessman of 38 years residence, has long been active in local politics. When I first talked to him about Joe Tegerdine nearly a year ago, he told me that no one could beat Gene. I replied that things have got to change in DC, and Joe represented the right kind of changes. Last month, my dad made a contribution to Joe’s campaign.

Joe came into this race, not as a career politician, but as a concerned citizen trying to make a difference. I’ve seen a few references to ‘carpetbagger’ getting slung around. Well, Joe started when the odds looked poor nearly a year ago. Then the political climate for Dems began to shift due to the massive stench in DC. So someone else, named Steve, decided to toss his hat in the ring at the last minute.

So who is the real carpetbagger? The issues and stances should be the debate, not who can use loaded words or sly insinuations.

8. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 6:05 pm

BTW I hate ****ing Republicans too. I used to call myself a Republican until around two years ago. Now I’m just a Conservative hoping the GOP can change. After watching the GOP house, senate, and oval office DOUBLE the federal budget from 2000 to 2008, and after watching George Bush DOUBLE the national debt, and after watching Haley Barbour (supported by Palaxxo) veto eminent domain reform (which Farm Bureau estimates was/is supported by 90% of Mississippians)…..

well let’s just say I’ve had enough of Republicans…. if the party won’t change it will die. If I wanted all the crap I just mentioned… hell I’d just vote Democrat (Gene Taylor anyone?)… I expect that crap from them…

9. Peacemaker permalink
    March 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Cutting through all of the missinformation. I have studied these candidates a bit trying to decide who will get my support. A few statements that could be cleared up:

1. Tegerdine works for a Taiwanese/Chinese company… Wrong… Mr. Tegerdine does NOT work for a Taiwanese company. He works for an American company that imports and/or sells Taiwanese and other foreign goods. It is a subtle and debateable distinction, but a distinction none the less.

2. Palazzo voted with Gvernor Barbour because he sided with big corporations to take private land… Wrong… Mr. Palazzo’s eminent domain votes were not because he sided with Barbour, but because he defended the MS Constitution. HB 803 violated the MS Constitution. He was/is a State legislator and part of his job was to defend the law. HB 803 was well intended, but broke the law. Emotionalism will not change that fact. To paint it the way it has been by posters on this site is either distortion or ignorance.

3. Mr. Tegerdine has not lived here “since before Katrina” …Wrong… He lived here since 2007 when his job relocated him to Hattiesburg and he then moved his family to Petal.

4. Palazzo is an establishment insider and career politician and Tegerdine is just a citizen. …Wrong… Mr. Palazzo is also a citizen not just a politician. Palazzo is no more of an insider than Tegerdine. Steven does know more influencers in this area than Joe because he has lived here all of his life. His service in the State Legislature also found him some contacts. The job of state legislator is considered a part-time job and most of them have a day job. In Palazzo’s case he is also cpa. He is on his first full term as a State Legislator and can hardly be considered a career politician. And as for the title of politician in fact by definition both men are technically “politicians”.

We have a couple of good candidates running. Both bring something to the table. Neither of them are perfect. Let me say that again …Neither of them are Perfect… The irrational passions that are expressed sometimes for a candidate is also a reflection of that candidate. The Palazzo folks seem to be a little better behaved than the Tegerdine folks, but the campaign has just started and time will tell. I hope it don’t but the ugly stuff will probably get worse because the rose colored glasses are only used to view ones own candidate and anything that can be used to demonize the other will be brought up. I do hope both men take the high road like Alan and Ross are trying to do in D1. I urge both camps to keep it to the issues if you want Taylor to retire. Winning is NOT the only thing that matters. How you win is also important.
    The VOTERS of south Mississippi will decide in June who will represent the Republican party. Not the activists, not the campaign workers, not the pundits, but the Voters. The job of the candidates and those who are working for them is to get their message out to the voters. Nothing more.

I would vote for either of these men over Taylor and I don’t want the loser to ruin my chances to vote for someone with a chance to win. If you trash the other guy all you are doing is giving more votes to the incumbent. Both of these men if they remain intact have a chance to beat Taylor. I would like to keep it that way.

• March 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Peacemaker, please note that I did correct myself that Tegerdine had been here since before Katrina and posted the appropriate date. But I admire and appreciate you keeping things honest.

10. Matt permalink
    March 11, 2010 9:39 pm

If anyone has found video online from the Palazzo-Tegerdine “debate” then they should post the link here please.

11. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Matt, I’m getting a copy of the video and I’ll post it once I get it.

I just had a beer with the guy who walked out Tuesday night stating that he “hates ****ing Republicans”.

I thought I knew who it might be… the guy is a Libertarian and is not supporting either GOP candidate. He said he got sick listening to Phil Bryant and purposely walked out pissed.

FYI

• Matt permalink
      March 12, 2010 11:17 am

Awesome Mike. I’ll be checking back to see when you post the link…

12. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:05 pm

If Palaxxo voted against Eminent Domain reform because it ‘violated the Mississippi Constitution’… then certainly he supports Initiative 31 which will amend the MS Constitution?

Is that right? We can count on Palaxxo to help us amend the constitution? Please let me know if he supports this Initiative… or is it too perhaps ‘unconstitutional’?

13. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Peacemaker,

Thank you for your insight and explanation!

14. Princess Sophia permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I just can’t imagine HB 803 violating the states constitution. Especially after having actually read the bill. Here’s a link to the bill.
    I can see why Joe Tegerdine would vote for it while his opposition voted against it.

15. Mike permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:56 pm

State Senator Chris McDaniel was a leading supporter of H.B. 803… perhaps he doesn’t understand the wording of the MS Constitution as well as Palaxxo and Barbour

16. Princess Sophia permalink
    March 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Say it aint so Joe….I would like to thank you. Your post has probably helped the guy I want to win and hurt the one I want to lose. Keep up the good work. Keep making it up as you go.

17. Ja'arlla permalink
    March 12, 2010 10:04 am

For a good laugh check this out.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cqr8D-De34&hl=en_US&fs=1&

I will be voting Joe Tegerdine.