Friday Election Notebook

March 12, 2010

In stunning news, it is apparent that there are stories from Mississippi not related to the Itawamba High School prom. From those of you who were readers before the prom controversy broke, and are here for that purpose, I now return you to your regular scheduled blogging.

****************************************************

MS-01: Chris Cillizza at The Fix looks at the 20 most competitive races for 2010 (as of today). He has MS-01 as number 11 on his list and says this: “At the start of the 2010 election cycle, we ranked this seat and Alabama’s 2nd district side by side. Both southern seats tilt heavily toward Republicans but were won by conservative Democrats able to distance themselves from the national party. Alabama’s 2nd is no longer on the Line as Rep. Bobby Bright (D) continues to prove his staying power. But, Rep. Travis Childers (D) is among the most vulnerable Democratic incumbents in the country for two reasons: 1) State Sen. Alan Nunnelee appears to be the real deal and 2) Childers raised an eye-poppingly bad $110,000 in the final three months of last year. (Previous ranking: 11)”

MS-01: According to CQ Politics, Angela McGlowan has her campaign team together. Anne Marie Turner will run the campaign, Ginger Whitwell will handle finances, and Sonny Scott of Rising Tide Media will serve as media consultant.

MS-01: The Les Green for Congress website is complete as he officially began his campaign yesterday. He also is starting up a campaign blog. And here is what the Independent candidate said in his first speech.

MS-02: This week, both Sid Salter and Brian Perry covered Bennie Thompson as he was cleared by the House Ethics Committee for being involved in the same Caribbean trip that was part of the undoing for Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY). And for what it’s worth, it is going to take a lot more than this to take Thompson down.

MS-03: Gregg Harper, today, announced that he has named Stanley Shows as his Campaign Director. Shows previously had served as Director of Constituent Services and Education Liaison for Harper.

MS-04: There is some footage on You Tube of Joe Tegerdine speaking in Hattiesburg earlier this week. The subject he spends a great deal of time on is the fact that he was not born in Mississippi, and has only lived here a couple years- something that’s obviously been hot debate on the blog.

2010 House: Here are the latest ratings from The Rothenberg Political Report when it comes to the 435 House seats that are up for re-election this fall. No movement in Mississippi, but a couple changes benefiting Republicans overall. Worth bookmarking and checking back upon for regular updates.

SD 36: Better late then never I suppose. The AP now has a story up regarding Albert Butler’s special election victory on Tuesday. The article is dated today- March 12, 2010. And that is why y’all are reading this blog- so you find out about this stuff when it actually happens.

1. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    March 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I say more of Les. He might be the ticket!
    Wow he seems like a good guy who just wants to serve his community.
    Even if you have a candidate I would recommend that you take the time to check out his site.

2. Mike permalink
    March 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Here’s one of the Joe vids from Tuesday night

• Chris permalink
      March 12, 2010 4:17 pm

That’s the same video Brett linked to. Why are you and other Tegerdine supporters constantly filling the comments up with videos- especially when they are already in the posts?

• Biloxi Conservative permalink
        March 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Chris,

Where was the link to Joe’s Video in Brett’s column? I think Mike was just providing a the video for anyone interested. Seems like an honest guy that likes his candidate, I see no problem.

• March 12, 2010 6:33 pm

The links are to the left of the story. For example, click on the red MS-04 to see the Tegerdine video before the post about his video. Same goes for all the links. The red words before the : is the link to the relevant story.

• tallguy permalink
            March 13, 2010 1:20 am

Anyone noticing how these “notebook” comments about the MS 04 have a little hint of “aint for Joe” sentiment. I mean, really….post the video if you want to, BUT to mention what is being touted as Joe’s biggest negative is almost too obvious here. Has there been a hint that PALAZZO even has some negatives on the “notebook” comments touting him as a 4th district candidate??? Oh, well, what the heck…if that Tegerdine’s biggest negative, then he is in good shape, coz THAT ain’t even an issue that will discussed in D.C. and it certainly ain’t an issue that affects MY every day life..such as healthcare, national energy plan, illegal immigration, etc. But, if Palazzo and his people want to put all their apples in that cart, I say go ahead and push the cart till you wear yourself out. But, if I were you, I would spend more time brushing up on your knowledge of the REAL issues…especially after what I saw at that Hattiesburg candidate forum the other night.

• March 13, 2010 10:30 am

Please tell me where I said this was Tegerdine’s biggest negative. I mentioned that was the subject of the video (which was true) and that that has been of debate here on this blog (which is also true).

• Mike permalink
            March 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to feature this video on your blog! This actually gives more exposure to Tegerdine and his campaign (and it is a frequent talking point for Joe’s opponents). That certainly isn’t something to complain about… at least not from Tegerdine supporters.

Thank you!

• tallguy permalink
            March 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Brett….my comments may have implied, but I did not mean that YOU directly said the “native son” issue was Tegerdine’s biggest negative. Others seems to be stuck on that, and my point was the fact that YOU even “brought it up” in your notebook comments struck me as odd and perhaps leaning toward Palazzo, since, unless I have missed it, Actually, the first sentence in your notebook comments would have given the necessary information, without anything else….the other remarks seemed like “dangling parctiples”. And because of that, it just makes me wonder, that’s all.

• Mike permalink
        March 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Chris, sorry I forgot those were links…shall I post a different one? j/k haha

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      March 12, 2010 4:44 pm

He said he “stayed in the community he is in because the values and principals of that community reflect the values and principals of his family”.
      He better hope the ACLU and NAMBA does not hear about those values and principals. If they do they will sue that shirt right off of his back.

3. Amber permalink
    March 12, 2010 4:53 pm

I do not understand Childers methods. The Hill has him as a definite No on healthcare. If I was him I would be screaming that at every news outlet I could find. Childers appears to play to the liberal left to me. I cannot understand why he is not distancing himself right now. Overall his voting record is not that far away from what most in this region believe. He could save himself quickly if he wanted to. He comes off as being afraid of his constituents.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      March 12, 2010 5:43 pm

He IS afraid of his constituents he wont even meet face to face them.
      If thats not fear I dont know what is?

4. CaptDeacon permalink
    March 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Where someone is from is less important than what they stand for. We have a Congressman of 20 years in District 4 who has been here for at least, well, 20 years (yes, I know, forever is the correct answer). This Congressman spends all his energy representing Washington to us rather than representing us in Washington. I support Joe Tegerdine as the Republican candidate for the people, to represent We The People.

5. Henry Foreman permalink
    March 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Gene Taylor at this moment has a rating over 84% voiting with the Liberal’s. That makes him a liberal. The same with Travis Childers. You can call them what every you wish. When it comes down to it they vote with their party. just to their voting record. You know Thompson Record is over 96% liberal. People in Dist 2 are to stupid to get his sorry butt out of office.

6. Raiseya permalink
    March 13, 2010 12:41 pm

The Democrats are leading a full scale assault on free enterprise and liberty. They are now deeply embedded in autos, insurance, and banking. They are currently trying to take over health care and student loans. Also simmering is a grab for the internet and energy production. Mr. Taylor is part and parcel of this assault.

We need an entirely different kind of representation in Congress. Joe Tegerdine is for limited government and property rights, and we desperately need him and more like him in DC.

7. Gulf Coast Mom permalink
    March 13, 2010 2:07 pm

this one is different from birther issues. LOL
    This is about property rights

8. Mike permalink
    March 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Folks,

For goodness sakes don’t attack the website authors and comment negatively about their work without a VERY good cause. The authors of this site are doing all in the state of Mississippi a superb job of presenting relevant details about local politics.

Don’t attack this website or it’s authors! Have faith that those who maintain this site will be objective in their work!

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. (Log Out)

You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out)