Friday Ramblings with Robert

March 19, 2010
tags: 2010 House, healthcare, MS-01, Travis Childers
by Robert

Childers Had No Choice

Travis Childers finally jumped off the fence yesterday and decided he would vote no on the impending health care vote.  In all honesty he had no other option if he plans on trying to return to his office after the November elections.  It would have been political suicide in his district to vote yes on the legislation.  The thing that bothers me is that it seems like a shallow no considering how long it took for him to make his actual decision.  It’s almost as if it is a forced decision that he is making only to play to the crowd back home.  You have to give him credit though for actually standing against his party on such a critical vote no matter what his intentions may be behind the decision.

Topic Of The Day: Health Care

You can debate the health care issue until you turn blue in the face nitpicking over certain things in the bill.  The real scary thing about this whole situation is nobody really knows if this will actually work and what if it doesn’t?  We have already seen a failed stimulus from this administration that will cost taxpayers for decades to come and we have nothing to show for it.  People are still unemployed and companies are still laying people off and record numbers of people are sitting at home with no job.  Now we are on the verge of having our leaders in Washington strap another one on us and nobody really knows how this whole thing will work.  I do not believe the people who are running this country are readily prepared to handle the situation should it not go as planned on paper.  You can write it all out and it may sound good, but you never can truly be prepared for what happens if one small thing throws the whole thing into a catastrophic mess.  It is surely something to think about.

1. Gary permalink
    March 19, 2010 10:48 am

Childers needs to hit the bricks come November. The MS legislature needs to join the other states in preparing to sue the US over this mess. After Obama publicly dissed the Supreme Court, I would think it would be a slam-dunk unconstitutional.

2. Thomas (Dr. Tom) Baldwin permalink
    March 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Y”our comments regarding the Stimulus and the healthcare reform are decidedly uninformed. Apparently, you have not been tracking the information or the results from ARRA and you have ignored the fact that the economy was on the edge of collapse in January 2009 when the President took office. Look at the facts Robert! Would you prefer that we be in the depths of a depression??

On healthcare, the primary issue is whether “we the people” are going to change the trajectory. There are probably about 500,000 people in MS who have no health insurance. We also are one the primary states in the nation who benefit from Medicaid. What is your solution to deal with this major problem to deal with the unisured and those who are constantly losing coverage, being denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition or losing their job and have no coverage??

Refusing to address problems and offering no realistic or practical solutions is not a rational way to deal with our current situations. Surely you can do better than that.

Dr. Tom Baldwin

• Dan Lindsay permalink
      March 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Does that explain why our economy is behind the rest of the industrial world in coming out of this recession. Forget about insurance and start following the money; look at the banks.

3. Gary permalink
    March 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Dr. You drank the KoolAid. This is NOT about healthcare. It IS about controlling our lives. Everything can be tied to health. You must eat this not that because it will effect your health and therefore your cost to the goverment. That is not the country my relatives fought and died for. I have a grandson in Iraq. That kind of liberty are we going pass on to him. I hope you have a change of heart. We can not afford this. My wife and I will not allow this to occur without a fight.

4. Robert permalink*
    March 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Doc,

Thanks for venturing over from Progress for Mississippi to set me straight. I sure hope you allow your students at Pearl River CC to create their own independent thoughts on business and society and are not brainwashing them with your liberal agenda that has run rampant in university systems across the country.

Pardon me if I don’t pull my opinions from a website run by the Obama administration on how much the ARRA is helping this country. If being uninformed means I am not taking my opinions on cue from the liberal leadership in this country then I am guilty as charged.

I am not suggesting we sit around and do nothing, like many of those who will reap the rewards of this bill, but I believe that going all in at this point is a heavy risk with all things considered.

The reason we are here is because society is crumbling before us and people in this country do not value the rewards of a good honest day of work, but would rather be handed everything that our government is willing to give. If we continue to cultivate this way of thinking, which I believe liberals are guilty of, then you will see this country absolutely hit rock bottom.

• marmie permalink
      March 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Robert, this is a thumbs up to your comment.

5. RandomThoughts permalink
    March 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Robert, many people who want health insurance cannot afford it because of the price and/or they are excluded by a pre-existing condition. Health insurance reform is needed and while I share Brett’s concerns about whether or not this will work, I believe if the republican leadership has its way we will maintain the status quo which is disastrous for all.

Oh and the economy is crumbling because we deregulated banks and investment firms and cut the budget of the enforcement agency SEC. (Both Clinton and Bush)

I know free market conservatives love to worship at the altar of the “marketplace” and believe if there is no government interference the market will right itself. However, such logic assumes that if the government doesn’t regulate the market individuals and corporations will not manipulate the market for personal gain.