Monday Election Notebook

March 29, 2010
tags: 2010 House, 2011 Ag Commissioner, AR-02, MS-01, MS-04

MS-01: The Tea Party Express will hit Tupelo on April 3rd at 4 p.m. According to email from Tea Party organizers, MS-01 candidates will be speaking. Also, on April 20 at 7 p.m. in Southaven, there will be a candidate’s debate for you to check out. Here is the Tea Party of Mississippi website, although the dates on the calendar still appear to be open. We will update you as we get more word on these events.

MS-01: The Wall Street Journal did a feature over the weekend on Tea Party candidates who are running for office, and one of those mentioned was Angela McGlowan. They called McGlowan “one of the most prominent tea-party faithful,” but said she faces “stiff competition from Alan Nunnelee.” McGlowan was quoted as saying, “I have what none of the other candidates in the race have, which is crossover appeal.”

MS-01: Patsy Brumfield wrote a column on healthcare and the position of Travis Childers and the three Republican candidates and offered this assessment: “Republican candidates for north Mississippi’s U.S. House seat say they want health care reform, but they’ve yet to show much difference to the voters from what incumbent Rep. Travis Childers says.”

MS-01: In the same column, Brumfield talked about the effect that Nancy Pelosi may have on the race, and in doing so she tracked down none other than Ole Miss professor Joe Atkins for a quote. Because you can always trust a guy who was busy writing a column just one week ago comparing healthcare opponents to fascists for good, honest opinion on the upcoming elections. The left-wing professor was called a “professional political analyst” by Brumfield. Atkins thoughts: “They’re going to say he’s still a Democrat, still part of the majority party that’s bringing about Armageddon.”

MS-01: Just to confirm Angela McGlowan did speak in Searchlight, Nevada over the weekend at a massive Tea Party rally. Searchlight is home to Harry Reid who looks to be in very serious danger of becoming the second straight Democratic Senate Leader to lose re-election.

MS-01: All three GOP candidates have now officially signed the Club for Growth ‘Repeal It’ pledge. They remain the only candidates or lawmakers in Mississippi to sign their pledge (although we know others have vowed to).

MS-04: Joe Tegerdine has made these comments before, but on his Facebook wall yesterday he pledged to serve four terms (eight years) while saying, “We need to remove career politicians and replace them with public servants.”

MS-04: Steven Palazzo, who I mentioned on Saturday had introduced a bill affirming the Tenth Amendment in the state House, said this on Twitter recently: “I believe in the sovereignty of the people of Mississippi.”

AR-02: Why am I writing about the open House race in Arkansas’ Second District? Because the Mississippi Democrats sent out a blast email saying Speaker Billy McCoy will be holding a fundraiser for Robbie Wills (D), the Arkansas Speaker of the House, who is running for the seat being vacated by Rep. Vic Snyder (D). This race is considered a Toss-Up by Rothenberg Political Report, but I will go on the record and say if the Republicans do not win this seat in the fall they won’t be winning more than a dozen seats.

2011 Ag Commissioner: Writing on his Twitter page, Rep. Dannie Reed (R-Ackerman) stated that he may run for the office of Agriculture and Commerce Commissioner in 2011. Reed has an agriculture background, and serves on the Agriculture committee in the House. Lester Spell, the incumbent, is a Republican but is a retirement possibility at the end of his current term.

1. Chris permalink
    March 29, 2010 4:38 pm

I don’t know if McGlowan has crossover appeal or not, but she doesn’t seem to have conservative Republican appeal if you ask me.

2. RandomThoughts permalink
    March 29, 2010 4:46 pm

“Lester Spell . . . is a Republican” … when it benefits him for re-election purposes

3. Peacemaker permalink
    March 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I agree Random Thoughts. Lester Spell is only a republican on paper. He could (and would) just as comfortably run as a democrat. He switched parties in 2005 when the political landscape was changing. I don’t think Spell really changed all that much but the political atmosphere did. Spell proudly sported a “D” next to his name when he served as Mayor of Richland and as AG Commissioner.

4. iCaucus permalink
    March 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Joe Tegerdine supports Term limits. Steven and other career politicians DO NOT support term limits. Here is a good video that but I think you might have to join to watch this video. I think it is well supported with facts and examples.

I agree with Joe Tegerdine
    We know that Most Congressmen become “compromised” by supporting their campaign contributors, lobbyists, and Pac funds to get re-elected over the people in the district.
    History shows us that even though incumbents may have a very low approval rate like 7% they get re-elected 95% of the time due to big $$$ advertising from those outside of the state.

This is a clear difference in the candidates that is for sure.

• Republican Dawg permalink
      March 29, 2010 7:44 pm

So are you opposed to ‘career politicians’ like Jim Demint or Tom Coburn? It is pretty much a weak, convenient attack and Angela McGlowan is saying the same thing in the first. If Tegerdine were to win after one term would he not be a career politician? If there is anything career about Palazzo, it is his military service.

• ServeFirst permalink
        March 30, 2010 10:31 am

Repub Dawg,
        Tom Coburn term limited himself in the House and said he will not serve more than two terms in the Senate. He is not a career politician in my book, but a public servant. As far as DeMint, I am sure there are plenty folks spread out across the state of S.C. who could serve just as well if not better… why all of this politician worship? So a guy does well for a few years and we think he is the only one capable of doing the job? Follow the money and you will see that we no longer have term limits at the ballot box. I wouldn’t necessarily call SP a career politician, but his answers he has given at his meetings seem to lean that way.

5. CaptDeacon permalink
    March 29, 2010 7:36 pm

The Founders warned about career politicians. They warned about paying those who serve the public so much that they stay and stay. The career politicians learn early to set up support networks to keep them employed. I support Joe Tegerdine because he has pledged publically to be “self-term-limited”. Joe Tegerdine is running on a platform that represents the concerns of us in district 4.

6. RandomThoughts permalink
    March 29, 2010 8:59 pm

I am with the founders on this one and they did not put term limits in either the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. Term limits are not only un-democratic but they also make no sense. If a great leader comes along who the majority of the country support why should we elect a lesser president or congressman solely because of the number of years he/she has previously served.

• Raiseya permalink
      March 31, 2010 4:56 am

You mean like FDR? As soon as he was out of office, the American people passed a Constitutional amendment to limit presidents to two terms. The power of an incumbency is wayyyy underrated by you, IMHO.

I support Joe Tegerdine, who has pledged to serve not more than 4 terms (8 years) as House Representative in MS-04. That is the same maximum length of service as a president.

Using your argument above, would you like to see Obama in office for life? Puleeeze! Four years is going to be rough enough.

7. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    March 29, 2010 10:46 pm

I think we have term limits don’t we – it is called voting. The people have the right to determine how many terms a politician serves. The problem has been that we have not been as vigilant as we should have been. Career politician has become a very negative term because so many of the long term office holders are just there – not really doing the job they have been given. It has become obvious that most of them need to go and it is important that we do not continue to elect more “career politicians”.

• Bryan permalink
      March 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Clearly “voting” isn’t effective at limiting terms. In 2008, Congress had less than 10% approval rating, yet NINETY-SIX % of them kept their seats. Incumbents become entrenched because they get more donations and “he who has the most money wins” as the saying goes. Also, our founding fathers, bless their hearts, assumed that we’d have an informed electorate (read 5,000 Year Leap for more info) and that is no longer the case. The media has effectively dumbed down America and many don’t know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat. Don’t believe me? Ask around at your local mall or restaurant. That is why I believe Tegerdine has it right by limiting himself. You have to walk the walk if you’re going to talk the talk and Tegerdine is the ONLY candidate willing to do that.

8. Mark permalink
    March 29, 2010 11:29 pm

After hearing all the same rhetoric from the same people on this blog, I decided to check into this Joe Tegerdine guy. I went to his website and read the same “buzz word” type catch phrases that Obama used. When I tried to find out about the company he worked for, I found that the company used “buzz word” type catch phrases that corporations like AIG and AT&T use.

A few weeks ago (the last time I visited this blog because I’ve grown tired of the same old pro-joe blog post, but lack any logical reasoning) I was not surprised that someone posted he had NEVER voted in MS. Well I checked this out, because if this is true I don’t know how anyone could vote for a guy (from Oregon) who just moved to MS and then began running for US Congress. So I called the FORREST County clerk’s office…

I was informed that Joe Tegerdine REGISTERED to vote in MS in MAY 2009. Folks, Joe Tegerdine REGISTERED TO VOTE IN MS ONLY 10 MONTHS AGO. Joe registered to vote in MS about 1 week BEFORE he announced he was running for MS-04. That does NOT sit very well with me. I am NOT voting for Joe.

I encourage him to get some more MS living experience and then re-apply.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      March 30, 2010 8:16 am

yada yada yada…..I will vote for Joe…and you either vote for someone who has lived in Ms. all of his life and is virtually clueless, unless someone “prepares” him with an answer (I have been in the audience to listen to them both speak and answer questions—in the same room—on the first question from the audience, the other guy passed the microphone to Joe like it was scalding hot so he wouldn’t have to answer the question first and it was downhill from there for him), or vote for a 20-year incumbent who is totally ineffective in D.C., and will always be, unless Pelosi decides to reward him for his helping to put her in the Speaker’s chair twice….or maybe you don’t live in the district, and you can just keep on helping the Republican guy who resigned from the state party to help Joe’s opponent by posting anti-Joe remarks.

• ServeFirst permalink
      March 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hey Mark,
      For the past year I have attended a number of meetings where Joe Tegerdine spoke. He has always openly talked about his business background, the company he works for, the experience it has given him, his residency in Mississippi, and even why he registered to vote so late in MS. If you are as really interested in getting to know him as you say you are, then you would attend a meeting, call him, or email him and he would be happy to answer your questions. He’s answered my questions many times. Tegerdine has a lot of grassroots support and personal attacks are going to alienate people that both candidates need to beat Taylor. According to Tegerdine, he stayed registered to vote in Florida so he could vote for the Amendment to protect traditional Marriage (which passed). Remember this too, TEGERDINE IS NOT A CAREER POLITICIAN, he had no aspirations or intentions to run for office until May of last year (he was asked to run in April), so he wasn’t concerned about lining up all of the necessary “look right” stuff like most politicians do. He is genuinely concerned about his community and country and believes he can make a difference. Attacking for him for that is pretty sorry and disappointing and the Palazzo camp should be ashamed.

9. Peacemaker permalink
    March 30, 2010 6:53 am

I think the way we solve this riddle is by limiting campaign contributions to the district where the candidate is running. If it is a congressman then take money only from residents and organizations from within it. If it is a senator then it must come from within the state. This will make sure that special interest money is at least doled out by locals. It would also end the advantage incumbents have with national organizations funding local races. They are supposed to represent us. Right?

10. Charlie Stogner permalink
    March 30, 2010 10:35 am

The issue of campaign financing could easily be solved by limiting the amount a candidate CAN SPEND, to a figure based on the numbers of persons that voted in the previous election for the same position, whether primary or general election. Then the candidate that most wisely uses the limited funds will have the opportunity of proving ability in advance of being in office.

The ‘free speech’ issue of individuals, groups or whatever that then run ads or distribute materials on behalf of a candidate would be clearly identified so votes can see who they are and consider their reasons.

Going back to my basic proposal, if candidates are restricted in the amount they can spend and are not allowed to carry over an unused campaign funds for personal purposes but rather have these funds go into the general fund of the governing body of the race, i.e. city, county or state, then we might see a better caliber of candidates.

11. Ron permalink
    March 30, 2010 11:47 am

Hey Mark, I really don’t understand why being from Mississippi is any issue at all. We have enough REAL issues that are important. (National Security, Runaway spending, Border security, Nationalizing the health care industry, Illegal aliens, out of control government, rampant taxation, lack of honesty in our elected officials and in ad nauseum). Joe is on the right side of all these issues. The voters is south Mississippi are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. If the only thing you and Palazzo have is that Joe was not born in Mississippi, you have no issue at all. Joe was not born in Mississippi, but he got here as fast as he could!

12. Peacemaker permalink
    March 30, 2010 8:56 pm

One issue that could separate the candidates is NAFTA. Joe is basically for it but wants to update or fix it, Taylor is against it, I’m not sure where Palazzo stands though he says he is for a free markets system. It is a trade policy question Free Trade v. Managed Trade, Job trade offs and losses, manufacturing shifts, tariff free back door imports from asia and other regions, this is an important issue but it is not being discussed very much.

Ron claiming one is on the “right” side of all of the issues is a bit over the top considering that even conservatives don’t agree on everything. One case in point is Joe’s stance on foreign policy. He is a noninterventionist (with a “finish the job” twist whatever that means) which is not exactly embraced by even most conservatives of today. I think it is a principled stand and a cost effective one but I am not sure that most would consider nonintervention the “right” one considering the terrorist organizations around the world and their ability to project force. Some including myself will embrace it reluctantly as a traditional American policy, but others will say it is naive and leaves us open for more attacks and worse. Palazzo makes it very clear on his website that he is for taking on “militant Islamists” and goes further by saying that they “can not co-exist” with the Western world. Perhaps he holds a neoconservative position, but it is a very popular one among conservatives. I believe both views have flaws suggesting we need to rethink America’s role in the world and how we as a nation deal with our new reality. Holding up behind our border fence will not make the bad guys go away, and tearing up the world under the guise of speading democracy while squashing liberty at home will not preserve our National traditions. A very complex issue to say the least but certainly neither view could be considered the “right” one. I do know that the tactics we used to fight the cold war are mostly obsolete in this new type of war as are the methods we used to fight the conventional wars we had in our past. I guess what I am saying is we need to really think this one through and sound byte answers from either point of view on this issue will not solve anything even though it will resonate with certain groups.

13. Military Wife permalink
    March 31, 2010 2:28 pm

I felt this tegerdine blog cleared up my questions about Tegerdine’s intentions and they don’t change from audience to audience like others I’ve heard. Joe is consistently true to his values. He is above reproach. I am grateful Mississippi has such a fine choice to vote for the first of June. Additionally Mr. Joe is a kind giving person as well. No Matter how busy, tired, or pressed he is, he is always kind to all. Even under attack he has handled himself in a way I am proud of. Below is segment to his blog.

Tegerdine, an international businessman and attorney, hopes to use his experience working in world markets to keep jobs in the U.S. by removing the suffocating regulations and taxes that drive companies out of the country. “I am sure if our current Congressman had this perspective, he would have actually fought tooth and nail to defeat this bill, but a career in politics generally doesn’t lend itself to understanding the challenges we face in the private sector. The growth of the federal government over the past twenty years is evidence of the fact that we need new leadership who will fight to scale back government encroachment into our lives and work to keep and grow jobs in South Mississippi.”

I can officially throw my support behind Joe Tegerdine.
    (I have carefully looked at SP and GT before giving my approval)