Tea Party Straw Poll: McGlowan Leads? Nunnelee Last?

April 6, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Alan Nunnelee, Angela McGlowan, Henry Ross, MS-01, straw poll, Tea Party

According to the results of a Tea Party phone straw poll, the favorite among the some 200 respondents was Angela McGlowan. McGlowan, as we have mentioned, really made a name for herself over the past year speaking at the rallies but has hit a couple roadblocks along the way regarding the Second Amendment. According to this straw poll, she is supported by a whopping 70 percent of those polled.

Henry Ross was second at 20 percent and Alan Nunnelee, the favorite to win the primary, got just 10 percent.

This poll and others like it are being pushed at websites such as ResistNet and Smart Girl Politics, two websites that have been very supportive of McGlowan and Ross.

I was really debating putting this up here because there is no proof on legitimacy to any of this. I would take this with a heavy grain of salt. We don’t know who was called, how they were screened, etc. That said, should Nunnelee be worried and McGlowan be happy? If I was Nunnelee, I wouldn’t put much stock into this and wouldn’t do anything different than what you have been doing. Nunnelee is not running a campaign to win a straw poll; he is running to defeat Travis Childers.

McGlowan and Ross, on the other hand, are running to be the Tea Party candidate hoping this would set them apart and give them a strong angle to take on Nunnelee. This poll, the other straw polls, and the endorsement are very important to both of their campaigns. Will this strategy work? I believe it is the best strategy available to defeat Nunnelee, but we will just have to see. Having two candidates- rather than just one- does not help their situation.

Note: I took a screenshot of the straw poll because there was no permalink available.

1. sippydog permalink
    April 6, 2010 1:13 pm

Not a MS-01 guy, I’m certainly no expert on Northeast Mississippi. But, everybody I have talked with, TEA party and established Republicans alike, doesn’t take McGlowan seriously. It is obvious that she is a shallow individual. Being a black conservative female may offer an interesting twist to the pollsters and demographers. But, seems to me there is nothing behind the makeup. She’ll continue to stick her foot in her mouth. If she has advisers that are something other than yes men she will likely drop out before election time. Regardless, the establishment GOP is behind Nunnelee. TEA party vote gets split in the primary. That poll should have Nunnelee at the top and McGlowan at 10%. That’s probably closer to the truth.

Nunnelee should steer clear of all this nonsense so it’s easier for him to bring everyone back together for the general.

2. Stats permalink
    April 6, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes I just took a poll very similar to this one and I now have the results for you.
    Wally Pang of Batesville has 92% of the vote therefore I project he will win in a landslide.
    I used the same parameters that were used for the pole cited above. I called all of Mr. Pangs friends, family, and neighbors and the outcome was overwhelming. Now I believe that I have provided more information about my poll than the people that conducted the poll above provided about theres.
    Truth be told the folks that released this kangaroo court of a poll are trying to usurp the Tea Party straw poll that will be conducted this weekend.
    I can see the end of the local Tea Party already on the horizon. Its epitaph will probably read something like this ” Tea Party Movement -Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians
    The power grab choked the movement.”
    PS I did not really do a poll that was for joke. Good luck to Mr. Pang though.

3. colonel reb permalink
    April 6, 2010 5:43 pm

That poll is a joke.

4. marmie permalink
    April 6, 2010 8:11 pm

Go lightly on that grain of salt with the poll conducted by a blogger on Resistnet, heard he was angry at the leaders of MSTeaparty and SGP for banning him. He like others on this site claim to be neutral on the candidates, but he has a very strong dislike for Nunnelee. I notice they use the democratic talking points . Votes himself a raise, yeah a ll the way up to 10,000 a year. Voted to cut medicaid spending in MS, who do they pays for Medicaid? We do, Ms workers. Hope they can put that all behind and support Nunnelee to defeat Childers.

5. Red permalink
    April 6, 2010 8:43 pm

There is only one poll that matters and that is the final results of the primary in June. Although it is nice to know Nunnelee has a substantial lead over whats his name and whose her face. Those two should think about starting in local or state offices. Neither are ready for the pros. I guess those who want to persuade voters against Nunnelee are not doing such a great job. Less than two months to the big day. Go Nunnelee!!!!!!

• Chris permalink
      April 6, 2010 9:01 pm

At least Ross and McGlowan have the Tea Party movement in their favor – all Nunnelee has going for him is that he was appointed to a position, rather than voted in.

I’m not too sure who I’d say has the upper hand ;)

• Republican Dawg permalink
        April 6, 2010 9:04 pm

I didn’t realize Nunnelee was appointed to the state Senate… all this time I thought he was elected…

• Tony permalink
          April 6, 2010 10:31 pm

Nunnelee has been elected every four years since 1995. Ross has been appointed once as judge by Fordics and elected once as Mayor of Eupora.
          We just need to concentrate on the person that is truly the wrong candidate…Travis Childers.

6. marmie permalink
    April 6, 2010 9:26 pm

Chris, are you referring to Ross’s appointments or Nunnelee’s?

7. Solo76 permalink
    April 6, 2010 10:50 pm

What a joke! running for the republican party? she forgot to take her meds again.

8. Red permalink
    April 7, 2010 11:15 am

Are there two people posting as Chris on this site. If not Chris has a split personality. Just yesterday “it” was raging against the Tea Party and today “it” is proclaiming the powers of this obnoxious group. I like Chris from yesterday much better. Also to think that the Tea Party is a powerful group that has the power to elect a specific candidate is interesting. Meeting the Tea Party Express bus with 1200 people is not a big deal when you consider that many of those people came from different areas and not just District 1. Also I looked at the pictures Brett linked and the Nunnelee signs were far more visible than any other at the rally. But I am sure someone will come on and say they were there and the pictures lie. Straw poll or not Nunnelee is doing a great job and I look forward to voting for him twice this year. To count him out is odd because he has never courted the Tea Party vote. Nunnelee has run a great campaign thus far. I find it interesting that Ross and McGlowan can jump at saying Social Security should be privatized. How? The baby boomers are at the point of collecting. How in the world could the money in that ponzi scheme be invested when the system is already broke and about to be broken even more. But that would be like at my house to say we are going to invest 3/4 of our monthly income. But what we are not telling you is, we need all but $4.77 of our monthly income to pay bills each month. Oh and did I mention we are taking on two new debts. Nunnelee was smart to keep his opinion to himself on that one.

• April 7, 2010 1:23 pm

Yes it looks like there are two people posting as Chris- different emails/ IPs. Sorry for the confusion, I am debating going to registration before you can comment.

9. Red permalink
    April 7, 2010 2:38 pm

Please just make it easier to get on than Y’all Politics.

10. Robt.Barnes permalink
    April 8, 2010 7:23 pm

REPLY TO MARMIE;
    RE: YOUR COMMENT ABOVE.
    it is our understanding the individual you speak of being BANNED by SMART GIRL POLITICS AND MS TEA PARTY is not accurate.
    he was banned in ONE group of ms.tea party web page only.any and all other sites he left is same reason MANY are being banned by NING. web site owners.beware conservative bloggers.here is the truth. below is screenshot of warning sent out to bloggers;

A message to all members of The Regulators Anti-Socialism Vigilance Committee

One of the primary reasons we are through with “Ning” is that they have been banning members across all Ning networks who post blogs on multiple forums, across Network boundaries. ALL Patriot networks have been losing their best bloggers because of this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So please be warned that it is the “NIng” Marxists who are doing this, not your favorite networks. If there are any attorneys out there who receive this, PLEASE CONTACT ALL OF THE NETWORKS YOU ARE A MEMBER OF, IN THE Tea Party movement! IT IS TIME FOR A CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST Ning!

If THIS WEBSITE SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS WITHOUT WARNING, YOU WILL KNOW WHY. It is because Ning monitors ALL activity of a conservative nature, and they are IN BED with the SOCIALISTS!

If it does happen, we will be back on another network shortly. I have downloaded ALL of our members’ e-mail addresses into a CSV file. Meanwhile, you can protect yourself from being banned from Ning by only posting on one site. All things considered, NOW would be a good time to begin getting contact information from all of your close friends you have made across the country on Patriot networks. Otherwise, you may lose track of them indefinitely. BUT PLEASE DO NOT POST IT PUBLICLY FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION. Share this information ONLY via onsite e-mail!

The Regulator

Network Creator

Visit The Regulators Anti-Socialism Vigilance Committee at: http://theregulatorsvigilancecommittee.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network