MS-04 Q1 Campaign Fundraising (Updated)

April 15, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Gene Taylor, Joe Tegerdine, MS-04, Steven Palazzo
by Robert

There is little suspense with the MS-04 filings as Gene Taylor filed his report just about two weeks ago and is available at the FEC website.

Today Steven Palazzo’s official first quarter filing is now available at the FEC website.  Last week his campaign reported their numbers and as expected he raised right around $125,000 and has $120,000 in cash on hand.

We are still waiting to get a look at Joe Tegerdine’s first quarter numbers and will pass them on when they become available.

1. blog4joet permalink
    April 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I am so proud that the 4th district of Mississippi has the first Congressional candidate in our great nation to take the Patriot Pledge. This level of sacrificing tax supported entitlements following service to this country is unprecedented. Joe Tegerdine is the new Conservative that Americans have been asking for. I hope you will see the uniqueness in his fortitude to serve Mississippi with transparency.
    He may be running on a locally supported shoestring budget but he is rich in integrity, responsibility, and accountability.

2. mspolitics82 permalink
    April 15, 2010 10:17 pm

I think what gets “lost in the pile” of money when it comes to campaign finance reports is the actual NUMBER of donors who give the total amount of money….for example, Palazzo’s $125K was given by only 83 donors, some within his own family, of course, (including him and his wife and parents) which is a.o.k. for sure; but what does that translate into votes? There were a fair number of “out of district” contributors who will not get the opportunity to vote for Palazzo. Had you rather have BIG BUCKS given by a few, or FEWER BUCKS given by hundreds of people/voters? That question would be answered differently by people, if you were to ask them. Some will say that the big bucks can help you “reach out” to potential voters who don’t already know you through t.v. media…..others will say that the grassroots voters “reach out” to their friends on behalf of the candidate—”their candidate, now”—-that they have given that $10 or $20 to.

As I have said before…..the primary will be won by the person who can get “his voters” to the polls in the largest numbers, no matter what medium he uses or how much money he spends to make that happen….it’s just a fact.

3. princess sophia permalink
    April 15, 2010 10:39 pm

I’m just glad that Joe waited until the 15th so that he could report the full amount of his contributions. That way he won’t have a one or two week period that could one day add up to Nixons 11 minutes of blank tape. It was nice hearing them spar again tonight. It was a lot better than the one in Hattiesburg. I saw a lot of people leaving with Tegerdine yard signs and T shirts. That adds up to more advertising. The grass roots kind that gets the votes.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 16, 2010 12:27 am

I had noticed on Tegerdine’s website that he had a nice fundraiser scheduled at a golf club in Hattiesburg on April 1…. I doubt seriously that got reported this time, since it was AFTER the quarter cut-off….they may have reported it, but most campaigns don’t, if it’s AFTER THE FACT….they can still spend it, though !

4. Carl permalink
    April 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Princess Sophia – March 31st is the when the campaign books are closed. Joe didnt wait till the last minute to get all his contributions in. After March 31st when the “books” close the candidates have till April 15th to file their reports.

Joe didn’t wait to get it all in. Joe is late. Bad fundraising numbers?

5. Peacemaker permalink
    April 16, 2010 4:33 am

So where are the Tegerdine numbers? Is he late? or has the FEC not posted them yet? If he is late that is a problem.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 16, 2010 8:07 am

and you call yourself, peacemaker?

6. CaptDeacon permalink
    April 16, 2010 7:48 am

I talked with three people at the Gulfport Tea Party before and after the debate last night. For varying reasons all three decided to support Joe Tegerdine based on what they heard. As those who attended know, the Eminent Domain discussion was an albatross. You can’t do much better than saying you support the Constitution and the idea of private property rights…period….period….period. It is Joe Tegerdine who nailed that issue shut.

7. princess sophia permalink
    April 16, 2010 8:51 am

I’m pretty sure the FEC hasn’t put the numbers up yet. Maybe pacemaker would be better?

8. princess sophia permalink
    April 16, 2010 9:21 am

It might take a while to get all of the numbers up there actually. I can see why that might be misunderstood since Mississippi hasn’t seen a grassroots candidate in a very long time. There are a lot of donors in his campaign. We’re used to seeing a donors list that’s smaller than Bidens IQ most of the time.

• Biloxi Conservative permalink
      April 16, 2010 11:08 pm

I contacted the FEC and they stated some of the paperwork does not get processed until Sunday or Monday. We will see then I am sure.

9. Jerry permalink
    April 16, 2010 9:23 am

All the other candidates have updated numbers on the FEC website, why not Joeseph?

10. Peacemaker permalink
    April 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I just ased a question. I’m sorry I didn’t realize that asking why he has not filed his forms on time would be offensive. All big party candidates in D1 have filed and all in D4 have as well except for Joe Tegerdine. A simple thing like sending in your form speaks to competency, transparency, and is the law. If he is late he could be fined by the FEC, and if you don’t think it matters ask Mike Lott. When part of your platform is about following the law “constitution” and about fiscal discipline and competency – it matters. I am simply disappointed. Attack me if you want but it does not change the question.

And just so you know a “peacemaker” is also slang for a short bareled shotgun. The personal attacks tell me that it troubles you as well.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Peacemaker
      Attack you? Attack YOU ?? YOU, sir, (I guess you are a sir) are the one who attacked the canditate with these words:
      “All big party candidates in D1 have filed and all in D4 have as well except for Joe Tegerdine.”

Just because you haven’t SEEN the report online does not mean necessarily the candidate has not filed…plain and simple, and for you to state otherwise is a personal attack on the candidate. Perhaps what you meant to say is something like “I have seen the reports online of all candidates in D1 and D4 except for Joe Tegerdine’s.” Now, that would have been a FAIR statement; but, the one you made was not fair.

Why does it upset me? Because, #1, it was NOT TRUE, and some people don’t take time to “know the truth” and some people unfortunately believe everything they read. #2, because it is as if the amount of money is a prerequisite to winning…well, ya’ll keep believing that if you want to, but there have been too many examples in the last two years and even this year where the candidate who was OUTSPENT actually LOST….the last one being Martha Coakley. #3….Mr. Tegerdine is a good man, as is Mr. Palazzo, and when the TRUTH about anyone is misrepresented, in really bothers me.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        April 17, 2010 7:15 pm

I should have proofed….my wording was incorrect on one statement : should have said… “…where the candidate who OUTSPENT the opponent actually lost, the last one being Martha Coakley”

• Peacemaker permalink
        April 18, 2010 7:04 am

I do like to passion expressed on behalf of some of the candidates this year even if it get a bit emotional sometimes. Here are some thoughts and facts about campaign money.

You mentioned “Coakley.” Scott Brown raised $15,026,958.00 not exactly chump change

I have read about others who were outspent and still won. I even found a list on opensecrets.org. Not one winner who was outspent spent less than $111,328.00. It was the smallest amount spent last time for winners of a congressional race who were outspent. The average was actually much higher somewhere in the $800k range. Here is the link: https://opensecrets.org/news/2008/11/money-wins-white-house-and.html

So far only three challengers in our state have either passed or come close to that threshold (Nunnelee, Ross, and Palazzo)

Though it is not likely I do believe Tegerdine can win the primary with lite-funding because of his motivated grassroots support, but if he is to have a chance in the general election he will need major funding because his conservative grassroots base is simply not large enough and too conservative to flip it over and as recent polls have suggested 97% of the Tea Party folk are already registered voters, meaning they are not NEW voters. What I would be interested in is how many of them voted for Childers and Taylor last time. I bet the number is less than 50%, but that is only a guess.

If Mississippi’s tea party participation is close to the national average it has a membership of about 18%. I think it is closer to 12%.

Looking at the numbers even closer Childers does not have enough history to measure so I will focus on Taylor. Taylor averages about 115K votes in midterms the challenger averages about 25k. That totals 140k voters. Let’s pretend that the TP folks number 20% and they all voted for Taylor in the past. That makes the revised numbers 112k to 53k. The challenger still loses badly. So that is why money and lots of it are important for mass media and appeals to moderate swing voters. If we add the 3% shift we saw in 1994 even expanding it to 5% does not change the outcome so raising money is still very important.

mspolitics you are right I should have phrased it differently I was however pointing out the obvious. The FEC has all of the other big party candidates reports online and available for review from both D1 and D4. Let’s hope Tegerdine’s report will be there soon.

11. Biloxi Conservative permalink
    April 16, 2010 11:11 pm

As you may know, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) makes public all campaign finance reports filed by candidates for federal office. Any document filed with the FEC is available for review within 48 hours of receipt; reports filed electronically are often available even sooner than that. Depending upon how the committee files its reports (paper or electronically) its possible the reports may not be available for review until Sunday or Monday.

If you need further assistance finding specific campaign finance information on the public record via the FEC website, you may wish to contact staff in the FEC’s Public Records Office, toll-free, 1-800-424-9530 (choose option #2 when prompted), locally at (202) 694-1120, or via e-mail at .

12. Peacemaker permalink
    April 17, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks Biloxi Conservative you are very informative. It will probably resolve itself Monday.

13. Scott permalink
    April 17, 2010 12:24 am

Peacemaker,
    I am not sure why you are disappointed. The Tegerdine camp filed their papers Monday by mail, not electronically, so there is no violation (I called his Treasurer). It just takes the FEC longer to input the data from a paper filing. The FEC also does not report any individual donations under $250 (or maybe $200 can’t remember). It’s probably not a good idea to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.

14. Aaron permalink
    April 17, 2010 8:43 am

You would think that the officer of a company that imports electronics from overseas would use the electronic filing system…that is unless he is trying to put off divulging his poor fundraising until the very last minute.

Since you are so well informed Scott, how much as Joe raised, including his under 250 dollar donations?

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I’m more interested in how many VOTERS he can get to the polls in a primary election where it is the ONLY thing on the ballot.

15. Peacemaker permalink
    April 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for the update Scott. I was not jumping to conclusions. Only stated that the report is not there and am disappointed. I just found this on the FEC website:

“…Since 2001, electronic filing has become the preferred method for committees to file reports and statements to the FEC. In general, a committee must file all reports and statements electronically if their total contributions or total expenditures exceed, or expect to exceed, $50,000 in a calendar year. The requirement to file electronically does not apply to Senate candidate committees…”

I wonder why they filed it by mail? Does he not expect his totals to exceed 50k? Joe’s treasurer better get with the program. I don’t know how much he raised this qtr., but if he expects to beat Gene he better raise more than 50k.

• Sally permalink
      April 19, 2010 12:09 pm

You are worse than the nut job birthers.

How about you stick to the facts and keep your conjecture, theories, and speculations to yourself.