MS-04: Palazzo Reaches NRCC ‘On The Radar’ Status

April 19, 2010
tags: 2010 House, MS-04, NRCC, Steven Palazzo, Young Guns

The NRCC has updated their Young Guns program and put state Rep. Steven Palazzo in the ‘on the radar’ stage in his potential race against Rep. Gene Taylor. This stage is the first of three in the program. Palazzo was one of about 40 candidates to reach this status.

NRCC Chairman Pete Sessions said this about Palazzo: “The NRCC is committed to working with Steven Palazzo as he continues to meet the rigorous goals of the Young Guns program. Steven is an accomplished, independent leader who will fight for job creation, which is why he already has significant momentum behind his campaign. I am confident that Republicans will wage a successful challenge to defeat Gene Taylor, a Washington politician who continues to enable his party’s failed big-government, big-spending agenda.”

Alan Nunnelee, running in the First District, currently sits in the second tier- contenders.

Last week The Rothenberg Political Report released their latest House ratings announcing 44 seats that have moved toward the Republicans, but MS-04 was not on that list.

1. mspolitics82 permalink
    April 19, 2010 7:41 pm

This is a program that any candidate can become a part of…..and some are recruited IF they raise THE MONEY…which is why Palazzo was probably “radared”….TRUTH IS, Tegerdine made a summer visit to NRCC and asked them to put Taylor on their “hit list”…..by the end of the calendar year, they did so.

2. John J permalink
    April 19, 2010 10:50 pm

mspolitics82 – You must get tired of trying to make Tegerdine look good. It must be a tough job. I think that the NRCC is smart enough to know that a guy who just moved to MS, 1 year later registered to vote (but never voted here), and then a week later announced he was running for Congress is NOT a VIABLE candidate to beat a 20+ year incumbent. Not to mention he can’t raise money.

The only thing I know about Tegerdine is he likes to qoute Fox News and is the most INSINCERE politician I have ever met.

If you haven’t heard him speak, the PROOF is also in his picture———>

• Dan Lindsay permalink
      April 20, 2010 8:35 am

How many times have you met Joe and how long did you sit and talk with him?

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 24, 2010 12:39 pm

John J…I just speak the facts of Joe’s actions…now, if you think they look good, then so be it. As far as Joe being a “politician”—-so does everyone making a bid for public office fall into that category, by your definition of the word? Because, frankly, a lot of us have chosen Joe’s team because we appreciate his SINCERITY (as opposed to your view of his insincerity) and because we believe him to NOT be a politician, but rather a patriot citizen who is sick enough of the sytem to want to try to make a difference in changing the system back to a “government for the people, by the people”….not by/for the “politicians and lobbyists”.

And if you had really heard him speak, then I would have to say,I do not understand how you could possibly believe that his intellect and ability to convey important points is worse than his opponent’s or insincere—unless of course you are related to or work for his opponent.

3. baygirl permalink
    April 20, 2010 7:23 am

NRCC is supposed to remain neutral until the primaries are over. Looks to me like they are trying to interfere in the MS elections.

• April 20, 2010 12:44 pm

This is not an endorsement. In fact, if you look at the NRCC Young Gun page there are a total of 2 candidates they have endorsed. In some districts more than one candidate is part of the program. It is simply a recruiting system used by the NRCC which has certain benchmarks for the candidates to reach.

4. CaptDeacon permalink
    April 20, 2010 7:58 am

Good point John J: how smart is the NRCC? Shall we talk “New York”? Let’s put aside the phoney “not from MS” stuff. We have a 20+ year incumbant in D04 who is from here: not a huge argument for “from here”. But more to the point, I would simply ask you to listen to Joe Tegerdine on the issues. Have you actually done that? Because if you had/have, you would hear sincere support for the Consitution; particularly where it applies to private property. Sincere support for limited government; rather than voting more government control of personal medical decisions such as psuedophedrine. And you would hear about true fiscal responsibility; rather than being for a tax last year but not this year.
    These issues and how a candidate responds to them defines the candidate’s approach to government. In this critical election year we need a candiate in District 4 who will walk the talk. And that is why I am supporting Joe Tegerdine for Congress. I don’t need to make Joe Tegerdine look good; Joe Tegerdine makes himself look good by speaking to issues people care about!

5. April 20, 2010 8:25 am

Nothing against Steve personally, but his campaign isn’t exactly setting me on fire. I’ve had the chance to see him speak several times over the past few months and I can’t think of one substantial policy position I’ve seen him make, but I could probably quote a number of his slogans not the least of which is that he was born here and he was a Marine. I was a Marine, but that doesn’t necessarily qualify me for Congress. I also question the NRCC’s assertion that Palazzo is an “independant” leader since every bit of his campaign appears to have state and national Republican party backing. Not exactly what I’d call a self starter. Tegerdine is the only viable candidate in this race who has demonstrated his commitment to limited government by limiting himself to term limits, real fiscal responsibilty and tax code reform. And my final argument, there’s only one candidate that I know of that Gene Taylor really doesn’t want to have to face in November. That’s the guy I’m voting for.

6. princess sophia permalink
    April 20, 2010 8:27 am

Yo JJ. You’re joking right? The NRCC had the wisdom to put McCain up for President and everyone stayed home except for the leftwing hacks. They’re the reason we have this ignorant squeeze bag sitting in the WH. And now they want to pick sides before the decision has been made by those of us who live in Mississippi? Keep energizing us you knuckle dragging control freaks. You’re going to lose again, but at least this time it will be to real conservatives. I love Polazzos platform other than “I’m from Missippi, served during a time of war.(Still trying to decypher that time of war thing. Very carefully worded always I must say.)” Other than that the guy seems to be trying to latch on ot Joe’s ideas. I wonder if it’s because he’s seen the light or if he’s a chameleon. Well actually I don’t wonder at all.

7. Biloxi Conservative permalink
    April 20, 2010 8:45 am

Joe Tegerdine supports real free trade and you can disagree or agree with that stance, however the difference between Joe and the establishment guy is that Joe doesn’t believe that a Chinese company or any company can come to Mississippi and take your property for any reason…Joe is for removing government regulations and lower taxes as well as advocating Missippian’s Property Rights and support passage of Initiative 31 to get Eminent Domain Reform on the ballot since HB and SP do not want to restrict governments Eminent Domain power.

8. Bill permalink
    April 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Yes, let us not forget how and why Democrats got the White House and both Houses of Congress.

It’s because establishment Congressmen forgot it was their job to represent the people and not the GOP. We don’t need another fall in line GOP workhorse. We need a representative of the people.

9. Ron permalink
    April 20, 2010 2:12 pm

I notice that since he got into the race, he has adopted ALL of Joe T’s issues. He has come around on term limits and eminent domain for example. Now if he would just talk about some serious issues and forget the non issues he is campaigning on like being born in Mississippi and serving in the military…..

10. Larry permalink
    April 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Are yall apart of a Joe Tegerdine CULT, or a campaign? This is ridiculous.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 24, 2010 12:58 pm

I would just say simply we are part of an organized campaign—a campaign that has spent a year reaching out to the people of district four, using the people of district four to reach out…obviously, not using the “party entrenched” people of district four, but including the Republican groups who opened their arms and doors to receive the candidate. It is a camaign that has not been as active in zeroing in on BIG MONEY as it has listening to the PEOPLE and zeroing in on the ISSUES that are important to the PEOPLE. It is a campaign led by a candidate who was smart enough to realize that beating an entrenched Democrat incumbent like Gene Taylor in a mostly Republican District was going to take more than just a few months…that is why Joe Tegerdine did not wait until almost the deadline to qualify as a candidate. It is a campaign that has Republican support, tea-party support, and 912 Project support (of which there are voters from all backgrounds)—which is what is going to take to win in November. It is a campaign that has been endorsed by Independence Caucus, a national group that supports candidates from both parties who are trying to oust career politicians who are ineffective for their constituents and for the country. It is a campaign where the candidate became the first Congressional candidate nationwide and the only one from Ms. District 4 to take the Patriot Pledge. So, call it a CULT if you want…..but before you do, I would encourage you to get to really know Joe Tegerdine before you pass judgement.

11. princess sophia permalink
    April 21, 2010 7:30 am

Larry is Steve still using the grape kool aide? That’s really nasty stuff. You might try watching the two debate. It’s pretty funny.

12. Liberty permalink
    April 21, 2010 10:02 am

Larry,

Joe Tegerdine has no paid campaign staff. At a later date he might end up hiring a campaign staff member or two. But for now he is running his campaign with the help of his supporters.
    Joe has answered any and every question I’ve asked him. He encourages every one of us to question everything, be informed, and get engaged. The idiocy in Washington is frightening, but the fact is that we are responsible for it. In the past we have not taken the time to truly vet these candidates. We have left it up to the party leaders to select the candidates. And then we complained about the crappy choices we had when we stepped up to the voting booth. We have depended on the candidates and party leaders to tell us the truth, with them knowing that we will not bother to verify anything they say.
    We The People hired these men and women to work for us and we have allowed them to run amuck. This time were doing things different. About 10 months ago Joe sat at my kitchen table and let me and few other citizens interview him for the job. We have taken the time to vet this candidate.
    We know that we have no one to blame but ourselves for the state this country is in. And that is why you see so many of us engaged in this election. We feel it is our civic duty as citizens.
    I have approached Steven, introduced myself to him and attempted to engage him in conversation. The response that I got from Steven reinforced my belief that Joe is the man for the job.

13. Eagle Eye permalink
    April 24, 2010 3:21 pm

S.Palazza said,

“…I can no longer sit on the sidelines, and I know more needs to be done to protect our local community and our nation.”

Joe has not been sitting on the sidelines. He has fought for and with the people of Mississippi to have a better future with new conservative leadership.

Here is a video of Steven Palazzo on Term Limits.

14. Zach permalink
    April 26, 2010 5:12 pm

The NRCC pushing Palazzo over Tegerdine is reason enough to support Tegerdine. Establishment Republicans talk a good game about smaller government but have they delivered? Better than Obama, yes- but Republicans have let us down over and over again. Tegerdine is a Constitutionalist that will stand up for what is right for America- not just take the party line. We need real leadership in DC & electing Tegerdine is a good start. Give it to ‘em Joe and we will be there to back you all the way…I’m glad to see an honest man running for Congress and that is what we have with Tegerdine.