Tegerdine Comments On Q1 Fundraising

April 19, 2010
by Frank Corder

On Monday, Mississippi Fourth Congressional District Republican candidate Joe Tegerdine held a townhall meeting in downtown Pascagoula. Tegerdine was joined by close to 40 local residents who asked the Republican candidate a variety of questions ranging from taxation to single subject legislation to his beliefs of government, business, and the economy.

Tegerdine revealed that he has not taken any PAC money to date nor does he plan to. As to his current campaign fundraising, Tegerdine noted that his recent FEC report would show that his campaign has raised approximately $35,000 at the filing date and is now pushing $50,000, all from close to 600 individual donors.

When asked how he and his Republican opponent, State Rep. Steven Palazzo, differed, Tegerdine noted his world market understanding as well as not being a political establishment candidate. He reinforced this point by saying that when he started discussion on a possible run for Congress with a group at his home in Petal there was an argument between he and others over if he would run as a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or an Independent. Tegerdine said his conservative ideals led him to firmly root himself in the Republican party.

1. Brad permalink
    April 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Joe Tegerdine is NO Republican, nor is he a Conservative. Tegerdine is an OPPORTUNIST from Oregon preying on the fears of Mississippians.

The real difference between Tegerdine and Palazzo is that Tegerdine has NEVER VOTED in a MS Election. Tegerdine is from Oregon. Tegerdine works for a CHINESE company that imports CHINESE MADE GOODS.

Why would a Mississippian vote for a guy that has only lived in MS for 2 years, unless they drank the kool-aid, and want Gene Taylor to win again in November.

• VFW Wife permalink
      April 20, 2010 10:19 am

@Brad your desperation is showing. Your words are not correct and spread deception to Mississippi voters. You are spreading fear and lies. Your mother would not be proud of your behavior here and you should ask for a raise because of the guilt you must live with.

Say hi to your employer Gene Taylor.

2. maoms permalink
    April 20, 2010 3:18 am

I left the meeting tonight believing it was possible to send an honest man to Washington. Joe Tegerdine is a conservative Republican who has signed to patriot pledge and also promises to stay in Washington no more then 8 years, and to decline the lucrative retirement. His international business background, and understanding of finance would make him a great Representative for Mississippi. It saddens me to see that Steve Palazzo,the recent entry into the race is on the NRCC radar and Joe Tegerdine, by far the better candidate, is not. Joe has pledged to run a clean campaign. This left him at a disadvantage when he was asked to compare himself to Steve. He asks that we listen to both candidates and make an informed decision. I made my decision tonight. I plan to support Joe Tegerdine.

3. baygirl permalink
    April 20, 2010 7:17 am

Because Joe has international experience this gives him a much broader perspective. Just because someone has voted his entire lifetime in Ms doesn’t mean the vote was correct. Just look at SP’s vote on eminent domain!!!! SP says he wants to defend the US constitution??? His vote against eminent domain reform tells me he doesn’t have a clue what is in the constitution. Joe Tegerdine does understand the constitution thoroughly and that’s what we need in Congress at this time. Backing of the NRCC tells me SP is a lackey to them and NRCC needs a serious attitude change towards standing up for our constitution and what America used to stand for. Joe is right… all you have to do is listen to both candidates and preferably at the same time to see who has the better grasp of core conservative principles… which is what the Republican party used to stand for at one time before they became Progressives.

4. princess sophia permalink
    April 20, 2010 7:18 am

Joe Tegerdine asked Palazzo if he wanted or intended or wanted to run last year. The same was done with Mckay, both of them said no. Palazzo changed his mind after the Brown win. Joe has been in this race since around April 2009. Palazzo just entered it. Palazzo is the opportunist. He’s also trying to latch onto parts of Joes platform too. I call that grasping at straws.

5. princess sophia permalink
    April 20, 2010 7:26 am

Brad? Do you use the same fact checkers the pinheads at MSNBC use? You haven’t gotten one fact right yet. At least you’re consistant.

6. Dan Lindsay permalink
    April 20, 2010 8:31 am

The fund raising equasion is interesting. Steve raises money from “retired” land developers while Joe raises his funds from the people who work every day. They money Joe recieves in my opinion is a greater percentage of what a person takes home each week than Steve ever thought of getting. A dollar to Joe is like $1000 to Steve. Every single person who is working their hearts for Joe are doing it for free while Steve utilizes paid supporters.

It kind of reminds me of the revolutionary soldiers and the Hessians.

Joe will represent the people of the 4th District. Steve will represent the Republican Party. It is that simple. Do you want a Conservative Republican or a Republican Conservative?

7. blog4joet permalink
    April 20, 2010 10:03 am

America is looking for leadership to represent the people and that is one thing they see in Joe Tegerdine. Mississippians are ready to invest in Joe knowing he will always represent them and their ideals giving them a genuine voice in Congress. His ethics combine with his knowledge will bring such a gift to America. But people are naturally and reasonably skeptical in throwing support behind a Party led and controlled candidate. Once they get to know Joe they see he is like no other candidate they have ever known, as one recently commented on Face book. Joe was the first and so far only Congressional candidate to promise not to take the cushy retirement package upon leaving Congress. Why? Because he doesn’t want our Tax dollars funding his retirement or any other Representative. Joe is there to serve the people not for the people to serve him. A huge contrast in politics-as-usual. I can fully support Joe with my time and my hard earned money.

8. GOP Girl permalink
    April 20, 2010 2:40 pm

True conservatives should have a huge problem with the fact that Tegerdine could not decide which political party to affiliate himself with for his candidacy. The last thing we need is someone who “picked” the Republican party this way. This is a transparent effort to pick a particular party in order to win an election, and this effort will fail. We need someone who truly believes and practices conservative ideals, not someone who picked them yesterday.

• Bill permalink
      April 20, 2010 3:36 pm

So you will be voting for the GOP party this election year and not the person.

I’m ecstatic that Joe is not a die-hard GOP loyalist. He’s working in the box he was given and the fact is that candidates either pick Republican or Democrat. Joe would probably be happy to have no party affiliation.

You should visit ourcaucus.com and educate yourself on the fact that for many members Congress, party affiliation is really meaningless. They all serve the same master, BIG MONEY.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 26, 2010 8:40 pm

I am a true conservative, and what I have a BIG PROBLEM with is people like you (GOP Girl) who don’t know a hill of beans about a candidate and what he believes and stands for, but pretends to know and hurls such careless comments so freely and carelessly.

9. Liberty permalink
    April 20, 2010 3:23 pm

GOP Girl,

True Conservatives should have a problem with the party and not the people having a candidates ear. We need a candidate who will be loyal to “We The People” and not the GOP. We need a principled candidate who will not waiver. I’m so grateful that Joe stepped up and agreed to run. Come November I will be proud to have a true conservative like Joe representing Ms4.
    The establishment and Republican Party “Leaders” have had several opportunities to replace the incumbent, and each time they have failed miserably. And from what I see, they are using the same play book this time around.
    I hope that you take the time to vett both of the candidates as I have done.

10. Carla M permalink
    April 20, 2010 10:34 pm

@GOP Girl

You might not be familiar with the Bible. Most of us here have read the book of Proverbs about wisdom and foolishness and believe the Bible to be reputable.
    People who have gotten to know Joe think his actions reflect wisdom and the strongest conservative beliefs, not liberalism.
    One thing I and others can see that you can not see yet is the consistency in Joe Tegerdine. That level of consistency can only be maintained by being fully truthful and knowing who you are and prayerfully examining ones heart. This requires strong character and maturity.
    Furthermore, for the past year Mr. Joe Tegerdine has been cultivating a Mississippi 4th district team to continue to work with him even after he is elected to office. He will be closely connected to the people with a humble heart. We will hold him accountable and he will hold us accountable as well. I know that may sound very different to you but we hope and believe it will be more common after the November elections where WE THE PEOPLE pick the candidate instead of the Party picking their obedient servant needing reelection funding. It will be new to see someone actually leading FOR THE PEOPLE instead of following the Party for promoting their career.
    It is sad to think that you GOP Gal find it offensive to seek wise counsel. You should try it sometime you may gain knowledge and understanding to make better decisions and improve your life dramatically.

11. Carla M permalink
    April 20, 2010 10:42 pm

oops let me clarify one thing that could be interpreted in ways I didn’t intend.

“He will be closely connected to the people with a humble heart.” Joe is one I know to be humble. I do not know all of his support team members to suggest such a team characteristics.

12. GOP Girl permalink
    April 21, 2010 10:40 am

I agree with you Liberty, the most important thing is for everyone NOT just the conservatives, to listen to the people. This is paramount. However, I cannot support Mr. Tegerdine in this. This boils down to one thing. If you truly embrace the ideas/values of the Republican party then you simply will not have to chose between two, or more, different ideas/values. The most important thing right now is for conservatives to stay united. And the more I read this blog the more I realize this is not happening. I wish people would use this more constructively to express ideas instead of using poorly framed arguments to attack each other. And it seems to be the same thing over and over…I wonder why?

13. Liberty permalink
    April 21, 2010 11:41 am

GOP GIRL,

We can agree to disagree about the importance of the Republican Party. And hopefully after the primary, all of the conservatives will unite to defeat the incumbent.

• LimaBean permalink
      April 27, 2010 12:15 am

The conservatives must unite to defeat him, but unfortunately there are not enough conservatives to beat the incumbent in D4. That is one reason why challengers lost so many times against Taylor, they tried to out conservative him. All of them were successful at that, but failed to beat him because it is the very large group of moderates that keep him in office.

So how will you reel in the moderates? How do you turn the 20%-35% into 50%+1?

Neither Palazzo or Tegerdine appeal to moderates. They both associate Taylor with Pelosi, guess what, John McCay already did that in 2008 and it didn’t work for him. They both talk about how Taylor has voted time and time again to raise taxes, Mike Lott used that in 2004 and it didn’t work either. They both talk about how he is a man with virtually no party and can not get anything done, Dennis Dollar used that in 1996. They both talk about how flipping Congress is important to block the Democrat agenda, George Barlos made an issue of that in 1994. I can go on, but you get the point.

If we want to beat Gene Taylor our candidates have to move from the far right toward the center a little. I don’t like it because I am a conservative, and neither will my brethren, but it is still true if we want him out.

This year is the perfect storm and we got two good candidates. One of them has the money and the other one has a grassroots army. Idealism and passion will work just fine for getting a party nomination, but whoever wins better come with practical common sense real world solutions that regular working people can both understand and apply to their lives. If they want to win.

14. Raiseya permalink
    April 21, 2010 8:44 pm

GOP Girl,

If you reread the article you will see that the group that met at Joe’s house argued about the party label, but that JOE said he wanted to run as a Republican. How has he been inconsistent?

Second, I for one certainly do not think that the GOP is an infallible source of wisdom. The GOP backed Dede Scozzafala in NY-23; she ultimately pulled out of the race and backed the Democrat in the race. The GOP had backed her to the tune of nearly a million bucks.

The GOP took an early stance in backing Crist in FL for his Senate bid; now that he is waaay down in the polls to Rubio he is considering an independent bid for office. The GOP backed the wrong candidates in these two cases, and are making the same mistake in this race too IMHO. Joe Tegerdine is clearly the better candidate to beat Gene this November.

Note that my use of GOP here can mean any of the various fundraising groups such as RNC, RNCC, RNSC, or individual GOP officials.

• CWArep permalink
      April 24, 2010 6:43 pm

The GOP has never had any success at all against Taylor, not even came close. Maybe its time to try something new. I both Palazzo and Tegerdine sound good to me. Tegerdine is not a career politician, and Palazzo is proud of his Mississippi roots and outdoorsman heritage. I would rather see Tegerdine go to DC, and Palazzo continue to work on our local issues that he is so deeply rooted in. After all, the deer hunting seasons are set in Jackson not DC.

15. mspolitics82 permalink
    April 25, 2010 1:04 am

Brad, man….you really are making yourself look VERY silly with your ramblings. You ask why a Mississippian would vote for Joe Tegerdine? There are multiple reasons….all you gotta do is read the blogs, because Joe’s supporters are busy for him, or call up one of the many hundreds of donors to Joe’s campaign, or one of his 1,000 volunteers. Or, better still, ask Palazzo, coz he has already said at the USM Forum that, should he lose the primary, he will support Joe in the General Election.

16. LimaBean permalink
    April 25, 2010 12:05 pm

How could Mr. Tegerdine have even considered running as a Democrat? I have read some of his anti-Pelosi stuff, anti-Democrat stuff, anti-Obama stuff, uniting the Republican party rhetoric, and on and on. So I am left scratching my head because if he even considered running as a Democrat how could any of that uniting the Republican party stuff be true? So either the writer got it wrong or Tegerdine is not what he claims. I thought this guy was not a politician? Sounds to me like he is actually a very slipery one.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 25, 2010 8:09 pm

From what I know from being affiliated with the campaign for only a few months, Tegerdine, that night (I was not present, of course) had to guide the conversation OF OTHERS away from how he should run…some of them did not want him to run affiliated with either party…however, as the article plainly states, Tegerdine had to let them know that his conservative ideals would dictate that he run as a Republican….note the use of the word “arguement”…Joe had to lead THE OTHERS to an understanding of how things should be done. I cannot help but think Joe T. also knew that party non-affiliation was not a wise thing to do, if he really wanted Gene Taylor out of office…I think he understood that running as third party candidate would only split the vote. And, I really STRONGLY believe that JOE TEGERDINE NEVER, NEVER even considered running as a Democrat. So, I don’t think Tegerdine ever hesitated in his decision…but, I believe some have certainly misinterpreted the wording of the posted article to mean that.

• Johnny Boy permalink
      April 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Joe Tegerdine NEVER, NEVER considered running as a Democrat. At an early planning meeting one of the attendees said, “You would have a better chance beating Taylor as a Democrat; You could take him in the primary.” Joe just dismissed the idea because he is not a Democrat in any shape, form or fashion. He said that he vaguely considered running as an Independent but that he is for the Conservative platform that the Republican party espouses and he believes we need a revitalized Republican party that supports limited government, fiscal responsibility, free market principles, etc. Check out his website or call him and ask him. His 1-800 number is on his website.

• Reality Calling permalink
        April 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Man reading all of you spread propaganda for your boy Joe Tegerdine scares the hell out of me.

Your arguments about why Joe is better in Congress than Steven is ridiculous. Based on your logic that Steven is better staying in the MS legislature, is the same as saying Joe is better running for office in Oregon (where has lived most of his life).

Your attacks on poor GOP girl shows the crude and classlessness of Joe Tegerdine. It seems he is ok with destroying anyone chances to beat Gene unless it is him.

To echo mspolitics82 – you sound silly and clueless people. Get a grip on reality and get over yourself and your idol Joe Tegerdine.

I read the Christian bible and the First Commandment is “Thou shall not worship false idols.” You people should take heed.

17. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESSMEN are PART of the PROBLEM NOT the SOLUTION. I searched on the internet until I found a you tube clip of the fourm at USM. I wanted to know a little about the two political new comers running for congress. The clip was entitled USM fourm comments on Federal Reserve. It started out with Steve Palazzo he gave a typical political spin around, to blaming Gene Taylor for the current problems with the Federal Reserve. Joe Tegerdine then jerks the microphone out of Steve Palazzo’s hand and began to spew more Neo Con Radical Republicanism than Calvin Coolidge at his presidential inauguration. I was absolutely appalled at the information that I learned about Tegerdine. First of all, he proudly claims to be an international businessman BUYING massive amounts of goods FROM CHINA and makings SALES to the UNITED STATES. Tegerdine is adding a massive amount to our overall trade defict with China. Which is adding to the economic hardships here at home and stifling the strength of the dollar. Thats what needs to be addressed by the Federal Reserve. TEGERDINE then blames the federal government for his business going to CHINA for MANUFACTURING. Tegerdine said ” If the government will lacks regulations then he could do manufacturing in the United States.” at the USM fourm. I say the only reason Tegerdine does his manufacturing in CHINA is because HIS manufacturer can exploit child labor for dirt cheap wages. A manufacturing job here in the United States should pay a person enough for a family to live. In China his manufacturer can exploit a whole family for less than the wage of a person in the United States. The United States federal government does have a regulation called a minimum wage. I guess Tegerdine would like this regulation relaxed. The truth of the matter is that WE the PEOPLE must rise up and conquer the Internationalist that look to sale out this wonderful country. Ever since the Internationalist were given free trade the trade has been free for them and costly to US. It is the Internationalist that look to subject the United States Federal Reserve to a new International monetary authority. It is the Internationalist that have opened up OUR countries borders for everyone to enjoy freely while WE work hard everyday for next to no pay. Never able to get ahead due to the weak dollar, high bills, high taxes, high fees and fines and low pay. The saddest part to the whole video clip is that their was actually some of South Mississippi’s finest supporting a carpetbagger. Stay true to your Heritage South Ms.

18. poohbear permalink
    May 14, 2010 12:31 am

Oh, just go back to your Democrat philosophical classroom, cast your vote for Gene Taylor on June 1, and enjoy the rest of Obama’s term as he continues to lead us deeper and deeper into debt….or go vote for your LIBERTARIAN guy so you can possibly help Gene get re=elected…THEN, you can put up with the rest of Obama’s term as he continues to lead us deeper and deeper into debt.

19. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Oh, pooh bear it is O.K. TEGERdine will be here soon to save you from intellectual meltdown. At least you will submit to a superior intelect. The truth will always be the truth and you can not spin the truth. The truth will stand firm like a ROCK in the face of lieing spin. You are right about one thing the rest of Obama’s term is going to continue to lead us deeper and deeper into debt. The truth is that Internationalist like Joe Tegerdine and President Obama are going to run this country into the ground until the United States of America is in the same situation as Greece( there are riots because the government has spent all of the peoples money). Then they will anounce a FLAT TAX (a National Sales Tax). I saw a clip online of Joe Tegerdine as he accepted the SRLC endorsment. Tegerdine said that he would support a flat tax and began to explain how it would increase the governments revenue. Tegerdine is NOT for Limited Government Intrusion into ourlives and the violation of are RIGHTS. He just wants more money to cover the expenses. Pooh Bear I remind you of my mintor and Great American RONALD REAGAN when he said “The government will spend as much as we give them.” Oh yea, joe has always been a Republican even though he almost ran as a Democrat. The truth is joe’s has been a Romney- Rockefellar Republican for years.

20. Johnny Boy permalink
    May 14, 2010 11:40 pm

For as crazy as you folks say Tegerdine’s supporters are, you are INFINITELY more insane as you hatefully lie, ruthlessly destroy and passionately tear down a man with patently false information and tactless insults. Tegerdine has proved to be politically conservative, honest and respectable…something none of you seem to know or care about. I don’t think I’ll be participating in any more blogs until after the election is over. Go read more from the Bible, my friends, because evidently you aren’t reading anything about being Christ-like or being kind to your neighbors. You people make me sick and you should be ashamed of yourself.

21. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 15, 2010 7:56 am

Johnny Boy as long as you are reading the King James version of the Bible and not the BOOK of MORMAN like your Romney Republican canadate. Read in the Bible about the part that states the Bible is the TRUTH and there is no other. Then remeber tha,t your want to be congressman believes that he is a SAINT of the LATTER days of this earth, because he is a Morman. The rest of us that believe in Jesus Christ in the Bible will be left behind. Then on June 1 go support this evil morman.

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. (Log Out)

You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out)

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join 62 other followers