McGlowan: I Have An Advantage From Working In DC

April 20, 2010

Seeming to walk a political tightrope, Angela McGlowan said in an interview with Gulf Coast News that her experience working as a lobbyist in Washington is an asset that will benefit her constituents.

McGlowan contended that she knows how the legislative process works and already has connections in DC before being elected. This is similar to the successful argument made by Haley Barbour in 2003 when- as a candidate- he spun his lobbying past (which the Democrats had been using against him) in his favor by saying he can deliver on resources for the state from Washington.

McGlowan said:

“Senator Nunnelee serves in Jackson, but Jackson isn’t Washington. And Henry Ross has been the mayor of Eupora, but Eupora isn’t Washington. Already having a national platform gives me an advantage in that I won’t have the same learning curve, I won’t have to wait out the same length of time for my congressional colleagues to come to respect me.

“I know congressional Republicans and Democrats alike. I have lobbied them. They know I have access to the media and people don’t like speaking ill to those who have access to people who have access to ink.

“Its not that people in Washington fear me, they respect me. They know me as an honest lobbyist and when I go on air I don’t speak in ambiguities, it’s clearly black and white.

The interesting piece to this story and the tightrope that I am speaking of is the fact that McGlowan has run a very anti-Washington, anti-political insider campaign so far blasting Nunnelee for being a ‘career politician.’ Now she is saying that her time inside the beltway is a benefit.

1. Grizz permalink
    April 20, 2010 4:44 pm

i think she means there is a difference between a lobbyist and a politician with constituents to answer to–and being new to politics in the “candidate” way,she owes no one for past political favors–

2. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    April 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Since when does the coast vote in Dist 1?
    I wonder if McGlowan knows there are news outlets in Dist 1?
    Probably not because she has never spent any time in Dist 1.
    I think everyone is well aware that she has access to ink because she is only running to get material for a book. Her words not mine.
    Finally we all know about her ability to speak in “black and white” terms i.e. I am for listing all privately owned guns with the government no wait I am not for that and I did not mean that. What?
    But hey who cares about the facts about McGlowan lets all vote for her because she is a Washington insider. Yeah thats a great idea!

3. marmie permalink
    April 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey Brett, what is the Mississippi State Assembly McGlowan mentioned in the YP article? Do we have one?

• April 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Just saw what you are talking about at YP. Another slip up by her campaign. Doesn’t help with the theory that she is out of touch with MS and MS01.

4. Grizz permalink
    April 20, 2010 5:38 pm

April 20, 2010 — FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    McGlowan Calls For Firearms Freedom Act in Mississippi
    Exempting regulation under Commerce clause of the Constitution of the United States
    a firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition manufactured and retained in Mississippi

OXFORD, MS (April 20, 2010) – Mississippi Congressional candidate for District 1, Angela McGlowan, has called for the state of Mississippi to propose and pass legislation exempting the state’s firearm, firearm accessory and ammunition manufacturers from the Commerce clause of the US Constitution where the product is retained in the state.
    McGlowan Calls For Firearms Freedom Act in Mississippi
    Announced:
    Congressional Candidate Angela McGlowan Adds to Campaign Team, Wins Tea Party Straw Poll
    Candidate McGlowan stated, “First, the Federal government continues to trample on state’s rights with mandates and federalization of all manner of regulations controlling those states. Second, the attempt to control the production, purchase and distribution of firearms and related products through the Commerce clause is a clear back door attempt to regulate and diminish the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of this state.”
    A similar bill was proposed and passed in the adjacent state of Tennessee and McGlowan believes that this action should be taken up by the Mississippi State Assembly
    . Indeed, this action is a necessary step to begin to take back the powers of the state as enumerated in the Constitution and protect those rights for the people of Mississippi

• bamboozled permalink
      April 22, 2010 2:31 pm

“I think the government has the right to know what guns you have in your home. “What is wrong with that? I don’t see a problem with that.” Quoted by Angela McGlowan
      Youtube search Angela McGlowan on guns 8-5-09

• marmie permalink
        April 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I was handed a flyer at the Tea Party in Jackson on the 17th with McGlowan’s picture and a website about her government /guns views ( one of her comments). Several people walked back for more of the fliers.

5. Grizz permalink
    April 20, 2010 5:44 pm

aahhh spring is here,and news of any D1 candidate should be made available all over as some folks go on vacations to the gulf ect–course now if Angela mcGlowan went on Fox news natnl. in New York i guess that would be a bad move as new yorkers cannot vote in Ms. unless they are ACORN memvbers of course.

carefull Alan and Henry–do not post anything newsworthy outside D1 or you will get called on it,and Mississippi State Assembly is== Combined Hse & Senate as a whole

• marmie permalink
      April 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Nope, the term for the Senate and House in MS is Legislature, some other states use assembly not MS.

6. Tom permalink
    April 21, 2010 9:15 am

Virginia, where Angela lives has an Assembly. She just got a little confused on what state she was in…

7. Amber permalink
    April 26, 2010 10:52 am

We went to the Ole Miss/LSU baseball game yesterday in Oxford. We drove by the McGlowan campaign headquarters and to our surprise parked right by the building was a Mercedes with Virginia plates. You would think she would at least rent a car with Mississippi plates. As we drove down a few streets, Nunnelee signs were evident but the only McGlowan signs we saw were in front of her headquarters.

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. (Log Out)

You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out)

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join 62 other followers