Tuesday Election Notebook

April 20, 2010

MS-01: Henry Ross is out with his latest campaign video- a 30 second spot where he mentions the debate tonight being hosted by the Tea Party of Mississippi. It is at the Desoto Central High School gymnasium and starts at 7 p.m.

MS-01: Chris Cillizza at The Fix is out with his latest House rankings, and has Travis Childers’ seat currently listed as the 14th most competitive- which is down from 11th in the previous ranking. He said that Childers has a “fighting chance” partly due to what he considers the “disappointing fundraising” of Alan Nunnelee.

MS-01: Alan Nunnelee is out with a new campaign video titled Vision. It is a well done piece and very interesting story about Nunnelee who lost his eyesight while he was in college before having it restored through transplants.

MS-04: The Palazzo campaign sent out an e-mail update yesterday announcing the opening of a campaign headquarters: 13155 Highway 67, Ste. D, Biloxi, MS 39506

MS-04: Steven Palazzo spoke with WLOX giving about a nine minute interview where they talked about the race, the candidates and a host of issues that will be central in the campaign.

MS-04: Last week, Joe Tegerdine announced that he has signed the Patriot Pledge. This is a five point pledge that includes term limits, fully understanding all bills, spending government money prudently, refusing Congressional health and retirement benefits after leaving Congress, posting video/ transcript of all meetings and vowing not to become a lobbyist after serving in Congress. Tegerdine is the first candidate to sign the pledge.

MS-04: Steven Palazzo was mentioned in the National Journals’ Hotline blog listed among 15 Republicans who outraised incumbent Democrats in the First Quarter. They still do consider Gene Taylor the “overwhelming favorite.”

MS-Sen: I didn’t mention any of the Senate fundraising numbers because the next election is not until 2012, but I did look at the numbers from Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker. Cochran, who is expected to retire when his term ends in 2014, is reporting around $330,000 cash on hand (which is a small total for someone who has served since 1978). Wicker, who undoubtedly will be running for re-election, has around $350,000 COH- numbers that are not exactly thrilling though Wicker will likely face little challenge next time around.

Twitter: About a week ago, the Mississippi Center for Public Policy launched Mississippi Tweets- a one-stop site where you can follow legislator’s tweets live, find out what legislators have Twitter accounts, who is tweeting the most, and more.

1. Tom permalink
    April 20, 2010 12:15 pm

The Nunnelee Video shows him as a man of character and someone who has had to fight all of his life. It was nicely done!

2. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    April 20, 2010 1:41 pm

I agree Tom, the Nunnelee video is very moving. I feel it reveals Mr. Nunnelee as a person and not just as a candidate. I like that.
    I feel the Ross video is very revealing as well, I feel it reveals Mr. Ross as a person who stands around talking while someone else does all the work. We already have plenty of that in DC. As I understand this sort of thing is pretty typical of Mr. Ross.

3. brenda keyes permalink
    April 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Ditto on the Nunnelee video. Very moving and it allows me a little glimpse into his personal life.

4. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    April 20, 2010 3:25 pm

The Nunnelee video is very moving and the staging is great. Anyone with a heart reaches out to someone like this. However heart wrenching it is, it does not make him a great candidate, as a matter of fact I think it is in bad taste to use this as a political advertisement.

As to the comment about Ross standing around talking while everyone else is working – it is very obvious that this person does not know anything at all about Henry Ross.

• marmie permalink
      April 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Nunnelee has been blasted on several Tea Party type websites for not looking people in the eye. He had to make a statement to address those accusations.

5. Tom permalink
    April 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes TPL II and I bet you think Henry’s video putting up signs is a good video. Nunnelee looks like a congressman and Henry looks like a sign man!

6. sickandtired permalink
    April 21, 2010 8:59 am

Is there really a picture of Palazzo in his uniform as an advertisement on this page??!!?? Please stop using your service as an ad campaign. I am not a veteran and I do not feel that you are any more patriotic than myself. I have family members that are veterans, wounded veterans at that, that have never used their service time as a crutch. You do it from the heart, not for publicity!! Come on Stephen…you’ve just lost my vote!

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey, isn’t that what it’s all about…do whatever (legal) you have to do to win….and, if you can raise the most money, that not only gives you a better shot to win, it automatically makes you the most qualified, and puts you on the “RADAR” of your political party’s national Congressional committee. So, then, you can do even more of the things that it takes to win…as long as they are legal.

What does it matter that the majority of voters have never served in the military…what does it matter that you insult those people and imply (even though you did not actually say anything) that they are not as patriotic as you….what does it matter that you use your military service, not as a biographical point, but as a “qualification” for service and in essence imply that if one hasn’t served in the military then one isn’t as qualified for public service.

I tell you what it matters— A LOT, to A LOT of voters.

I really think the candidate was very ill advised on this one; but, hey, when you got the most money, you can win no matter what!

7. princess sophia permalink
    April 21, 2010 9:43 am

That’s part of SP’s platform he has to cling to that and I’m from Mississippi. Since he really doesn’t have anything else so he’s stealing planks from Joe’s platform. That just tells me how wrong Palazzo is and how right Joe is.

8. mspolitics82 permalink
    April 21, 2010 10:21 pm

So are we starting to report when candidates spend a few minutes on a t.v. program? Are we going to start including radio, too?

• April 21, 2010 10:48 pm

Assuming that is directed to me….

1) Since this is my blog, I can talk about whatever I choose.
      2) The interview was informative and contained a lot of good information for folks interested in the race. Now obviously if you are a Tegerdine partisan, you’re not going to like seeing Palazzo information to much, but I can’t help that.

9. Just Say NO2Joe permalink
    April 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Shame on you Joe Tegerdine.

Palazzo went to war to fight for our nation. He was ready and willing to die for our country, and you say that serving in our nation’s military is not a qualification to serve the people of South Mississippi in Congress?

Joe Tegerdine has reached a new LOW attacking Palazzo’s military service. Joe NEVER served in the military but was quick to copy the toy logo from GI Joe for his campaign signs. Mr. Tegerdine, you, and the other pretend-patriots should be ashamed of yourselves. Joe’s working as a MORMON mission in China, has nothing on PALAZZO’s service in the Marines during the First Gulf War, his service in the MS National Guard, and his service in the state legislature.

Joe Tegerdine ONLY Serves the MORMON Church and HIMSELF. All of you need get a taste of reality.

What are Joe’s Qualifications? He speaks Chinese. He is from Oregon. He is Mormon. He has never voted in MS. Oh, and he can’t raise any money.

Joe has NO qualifications to represent the MS, or to beat Gene.

Now you know, “And knowing is half the battle.”

• mspolitics82 permalink
      April 22, 2010 9:39 am

First, let me apologize for offending you…that is not my nature, nor was it my intent. I must say, though, you are going a bit too far, taking my words and putting them into the mouth of the candidate….not only that, you took my words and misconstrued them into something that I did not say nor mean….I understand the passion for your man, BUT, you have inaccurately reconveyed my message.

My first challenge to you is to show me where Joe Tegerdine has attacked (directly or indirectly) Palazzo for his military service. If you cannot, then you should be very careful as to not say that he has done so…that is serious stuff.

Secondly, I did not attack Palazzo for his military service….I would never do that….do you hear me, NEVER, NEVER, EVER do that..to Mr. Palazzo or any other person. If Mr. Palazzo ends up being the candidate against Gene Taylor, I will work for him and campaign hard for him; BUT, I will NOT help his campaign flaunt his military service as a qualification to serve—–as part of who he is, yes, but not as a qualification for office.

To set the record straight, Here’s what I did:

I DID condemn the Palazzo campaign for using his military service as a campaign promo. I DID say that I believe using military service as informational, biographical data is acceptable. I DID say that some military people think this ad is in poor taste. I DID say that just because someone has NOT served in the military (and there are many possible reasons that might have been)does not mean they are less qualified to be a public servant. I DID indirectly say that military service, while it is a supremely honorable and patriotic act, does not automatically make any person more “qualified” to serve as Congressman, mayor, tax collector, or in ANY other elected position.

Now, how in the world you came up with trying to compare (or implying that JT campaign has done so) Tegerdine’s missionary service to Palazzo’s military service !!! The two are quite different, while both are examples of servant-hearts and attitudes, in my opinion. I have never seen a Joe Tegerdine ad using his missionary service as a qualification for office, but I have seen it listed in his bio information, and I have heard him mention it in a crowd of people who are meeting him for the first time, just as I have heard Palazzo tell about his military service to those who have never met him. Which, to me, is very acceptable to do.

The men’s personal religious denomination SHOULD NOT be an issue; however, some people are trying their darndest to make Joe’s MORMON background as a reason to NOT vote for him. I guess some of them don’t understand, that most voters don’t distinguish between Tegerdine’s MORMON faith and Palazzo’s CATHOLIC faith. So, to attack a man on his faith in Christ just because it’s not like yours is, well, unacceptable at best, and should not even be in the discussion, in my opinion. Quite frankly, I have never heard either candidate personally attack each other’s faith, and would not expect that to happen from either of these good men.

Anyway, would it be presumptious of me to assume, that should Tegerdine win the primary, you won’t be voting for him ??? I know you don’t think that could even possibly happen, but it’s something that you might want to start thinking about…..unless, of course, you’d rather have Gene, which would not be unusual, coz many of my so-called conservative friends have voted for him over and over, until now.

• sickandtired permalink
      April 22, 2010 2:27 pm

I’m not sure why you are attacking Joe Tegerdine. I am not Joe nor am I affiliated with his campaign. I am a citizen that is doing my research, which everyone should do, as to who to vote for. From what I have seen the Tegerdine campaign has never “attacked” anyone. I think you need to get your facts straight on that before you start stating them. That could get your candidate in big trouble. Secondly, it seems to me that you are attacking Mr. Tegerdine’s religion. From what I have heard, he has never used his time as a missionary as an endorsement. Just because you are a veteran doesn’t mean you can become a congressman. I understand now what I have heard about Palazzo supporters.

10. mspolitics82 permalink
    April 22, 2010 8:52 am

Now, we can say that we had the opportunity to see both clips of the WLOX interviews of both 4th Dist. Republican primary candidates on the this blogsite. Perhaps people who see them both will think they were both “informative and contained a lot of good information for folks interested in the race”.

• April 22, 2010 9:14 am

That video also happens to be about five months old. The Palazzo video is a week old. In case you haven’t noticed, the Election Notebook’s contain new and recent information.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        April 22, 2010 9:47 am

Yes, Brett, I know how old it is, because I saw it on television the night it played. I guess I just wasn’t tuned in to this site 5 months ago to notice it; but, I do “visit” the site quite often now, and will continue to do so in the future, because it is a very informative place for the conservative side of what’s going on.

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. (Log Out)

You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out)

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join 62 other followers