Taylor Would Support Healthcare Repeal
In an article that appeared in The Radionian (which I believe is the school newspaper at Jones County Junior College); Rep. Gene Taylor spoke about several subjects including the new healthcare legislation.
Taylor said this about the legislation: “I would prefer to repeal it. I guess it’s going to depend upon the makeup of the Congress in January.” This is the first I have heard of Taylor’s support for repeal and makes him one of very few Democrats willing to go that far (we have previously mentioned how Rep. Travis Childers was not interested in pushing repeal). I don’t know how loud Taylor is going to be in the repeal movement, but this is certainly a good move on his part.
Here are a couple other points of interest:
- Taylor called himself a “very conservative Democrat.”
- Taylor said he opposes term limits, and says we already have them in the form of elections.
- When asked about his vote for Nancy Pelosi, Taylor said: “That’s an election that took place in San Francisco.” He added that his record will shows him to be on the side of the American people and not fellow politicians.
- Taylor said this about the possible wave year for the GOP and want it means for his re-election: “People have been running against me for 20 years.” Taylor indicated that he is not going to approach things differently.
- Taylor commented that he has been raising the national debt issue for sometime now, under both Republican and Democratic administrations, saying: “I wish everyone had been as concerned about the national debt as I have been. You can’t spend more, collect less, and pretend it’s going to work.” Taylor added, “we don’t need to make any new promises.”