A Look At The MS-04 Primary With About A Month To Go

May 4, 2010

Today is actually four weeks to the day when voters will head to the polls to vote in Congressional primaries, and there are a couple good ones in Mississippi, including the Fourth District matchup between Joe Tegerdine and Steven Palazzo. I have extensively covered the happenings with the race, but wanted to now take a more in-depth look and where we are.

In just six weeks, Palazzo posted a very impressive $125,000 fundraising total for Q1. There is no way to overlook that and dismiss it. Until proven otherwise, you need money to win an election. In the Pete Session’s interview on CNN that I posted yesterday he simply said ‘you gotta have money.’ Palazzo has many established political ties and has worked that in his favor very successfully. In my conversations with Republican sources in Washington who are monitoring the race, they wanted to see how Palazzo did fundraising wise and as I have talked about they are pretty happy about things. The infrastructure for a successful campaign appears to be there.

Raising money looks like it was the first goal of the Palazzo campaign. One source I spoke with on the Coast about a month ago applauded his fundraising but noted that he needs a better grassroots campaign and internet presence. He added, “Simple rallies or visiting the county parties won’t get your name out to the general masses.” From the looks of it, this must have been the second part of the campaign rollout. The campaign is now pretty active on the mandatory websites like Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc.

With Tegerdine, on the other hand, he really started out with the grassroots support first. He made a name for himself speaking at Tea Party/ 912 rallies and the like and gained a very passionate following. His campaign is very active in tracking websites, posting comments (as you have undoubtedly seen here), voting in polls, etc. He boasts of an impressive army of about 700 volunteers and is regularly on Facebook and Twitter talking about going door-to-door, manning phone banks, etc. He also keeps a full calendar of many small (and some large) operation events.

That’s the good. Now to the fundraising. This part of his campaign has just not come around yet. Tegerdine has said the election won’t be about money (and any candidate- even ones who are posting big fundraising totals should say that), but I don’t know how accurate of an assessment that is. Tegerdine’s loyal group will support him while Palazzo’s group will support him, but to the open minded Republican who wants to knock off Gene Taylor- he or she is going to look at that fundraising and wonder if Tegerdine could seriously do that. Tegerdine has had a couple fundraisers since the Q1 reports, but we will have to see what kind of numbers they brought.

There are also a couple variables at play here I wanted to look at. In the Pete Session’s interview he did not openly say that they prefer a businessman over someone with a political background, but you get the sense of what they want. I also cited the Florida Senate primary where the defacto incumbent- Charlie Crist- was trailing badly to Marco Rubio, who has run a grassroots, conservative campaign and is a favorite of the Tea Party movement. So does that hurt Palazzo who has served in the state House since 2006? Palazzo is happy to tell you about his business background as a CPA and his career in the military- notice his ad doesn’t say send a state Representative to Congress. It is impossible to predict if this will be a fatal flaw, but I do believe his campaign has handled his experience in those three areas (military, business and politics) well. I don’t think you could, but they are not hiding his legislative experience in any way.

Another thing that I continue to wonder about is the fact that Tegerdine is not a native of Mississippi or the South- and has only lived in the state for a few years now. Take a look at the websites of members of the state legislature- there are very few not from Mississippi. Take a look at the statewide office holders and Congressional delegation- Mississippians like to elect someone from Mississippi (I understand Gene Taylor is from New Orleans but he was well settled in the area before he ran from Congress and there are obvious cultural ties between NOLA and the Gulf Coast). When most people go to the polls, I would imagine the vast majority of voters won’t know where Tegerdine was originally from (although Palazzo has proudly pointed out that he was born and raised in Mississippi). I don’t want to say Tegerdine’s birthplace will be a deciding factor, but I do admit I have trouble envisioning a Mississippi Congressman from the Northwest. But I’ve been wrong before.

And then there are the regional rivalries within the district. Tegerdine is from Petal in the northern part of the district while Palazzo is from the Coast. Taylor also lives on the Coast. Would the Coast support someone from the northern part of the district? You can ask that question for the primary and general election. Don’t know if I can answer the primary question, but for the general election that would undoubtedly be a no considering Taylor’s ties and support for the crucial industry along the Coast.

I was thinking about making a primary prediction, but I’m not going to. I haven’t seen any polling to date and anything would just be a very rough guess. We’ll continue to follow the remaining four weeks of the race very closely. And be on the lookout for a look at MS-01 tomorrow.

1. Dan Lindsay permalink
    May 4, 2010 11:50 am

How many dollars is it worth to have a massive grass roots volunteer base who believe in the honesty, integrity and the ability of a candidate to solely represent them?

Can it be bought? It certainly looks like the NRCC thinks so.

Someone is in for a rude awakening and not just in Mississippi’s 4th District.

I certainly don’t know where the 700 volunteer number has come from; it may be active 100% volunteers. I can tell you that there are a lot more than 700 voters talking to friends, neighbors and co-workers and passionately talking from their hearts about Tea Party Joe.

2. blog4joet permalink
    May 4, 2010 12:35 pm

Joe has loads of Bloggers and Youtubers too. Here is one of the latest.
    And Google just alerted me that their is another site for Joe going up soon. Now that one I’m excited about because it shows the large numbers of Vets that support Joe Tegerdine.
    It is interesting to note that Joe has Many Facebook accounts mostly created to endorse him in particular areas. It really says something when the candidate’s personal FB account has more members then all the others. Joe is seen as a friend, father, & leader first and politician/statesman second. Just an observation that impresses me.

Tegerdine for Congress 1320 memebers
    Joe Tegerdine Politician 860 members
    Joe Tegerdine friend 1850 members
    Go Tegerdine
    Girly Girls for Joe Tegerdine (my favorite)
    and so on…

I counted 12 Youtube accounts so far featuring Joe Tegerdine

SP has only one FB account, that I can find, it has 1545 members
    Only one You tube account. When I search You tube for SP name the first 6 results are teapartypatriotjoe results, a Joe Tegerdine sight that includes SP answering questions.

Need proof that an underdog can win a race? Well you know, http://chaffetz.house.gov/

Jason Chaffetz had 1/5 of the money as the party choice, wasn’t even invited to the debates, and STILL WON!!!!!!!!

Joe will too! I Love it!! Jason Chaffetz is doing an Amazing job and is a congressman America is proud of.

Money is useful to buy some votes through TV Radio…
    BUT When Joe wins he will get National TV Coverage and the money will then roll in. This Mississippi election will be on all the News sites as the “people’s choice.” A victory for America. Joe has what it takes and will work for the people not the “Party.”

• Danny S permalink
      May 6, 2010 10:05 pm

The comparison between Tegerdine and Chaffetz is not very apt. First, Chaffetz won his nomination in a convention, which is much easier to sway with a strong grassroots organization than a comparable primary.

Second, once Chaffetz scored the nomination he was a shoe-in in the general election in deep red Utah. Tegerdine will not have this advantage in a seat with a Democratic incumbent.

3. mspolitics82 permalink
    May 4, 2010 12:54 pm

Good job, Brett…well presented. One of the questions you posed was whether the Coast would support someone from the northern part of the district. Good question, because the Coast mentality seems that the COAST SHOULD RULE, just because it’s the coast…and I for one, believe that is a very arrogant mentality, but nonetheless, it’s there. However, what we do know is that there are already pockets of support for Tegerdine on the Coast in every one of the Coastal counties, whether you count only 3 or if you include the next 3 northward. This support no doubt, is strongest in Pearl River and Jackson Counties (if you include the 6 bottom counties), and also no doubt has come from Joe’s grassroots work that began a year ago. Even in Biloxi, Palazzo’s home base, the 912 Project Group has endorsed Tegerdine; now some say that’s not a big deal, but others would vehemently disagree with that sentiment.

There are many voters north of I-10 who say the Coast has had its guy in office for 20 years now and look where we are, so it’s time that someone else gets a chance to represent US ALL.

4. Matt permalink
    May 4, 2010 2:27 pm

I have mixed emotions about the whole “native Mississippian card” that Palazzo is using.

On the one hand, it’s a trump card for Palazzo, so he might as well use it. And there’s nothing wrong with saying that someone should have spent considerable time in the community they want to serve building ties and relationships.

On the other hand, the tinge of the whole “he’s not one of us” is not something that thrills me. And it’s not always just a regional thing either. Put it this way: I cringe to think what some quarters would say if Steven Palazzo, an Italian-American Catholic, ran a campaign for statewide office.

So I think Tegerdine’s problem may not be that he was born somewhere else, but just that he hasn’t been in Mississippi long enough for one to think he would be running for office. Kirk Fordice was from Tennessee originally, and as you pointed out, Taylor is from Louisiana.

On a side note, we’ll get to see in 2011 if an out-of-state-born Catholic can win statewide office when Dave Dennis runs for governor. Of course, Dennis has been in Mississippi for a while and has many years of involvement in the state and the connections to show for it.

• VFW Wife permalink
      May 4, 2010 3:11 pm

Every time the Mississippi residence card is played it is a personal attack upon me. I am every bit a Mississippian but due to my husband’s military service I didn’t make it to my Mississippi home until 4 years ago. If Joe isn’t genuinely Mississippian then neither am I. I find it insulting and snooty.

The issue is: does the candidate have a superior grasp of local issues so they can serve the people in their district.

What concerned me about Steve was that he didn’t even get to know Joe prior to entering the race. This tells me he failed to consider the whole picture before entering the race. Sean Hannity would be pissed at him for that.

But even more telling was when Steve said he had NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT TERM LIMITS BEFORE at the USM event. I’m not a politician and have thought about term limits. I feel he doesn’t have a strong knowledge base.

I watched Steve struggle to get a full sentience out during a speech; speaking in incomplete sentences. I cringed for him. He is getting better though with his professional coaches helping his speeches but will they prep him all through Congress too? Or will he say embarrassing things like when he said “Judo” Christians instead of Judeo in a recent radio interview.

Steve is just is not ready. Joe is. No, Joe was not born here but his vast knowledge base including local issues, has gained respect of many including impossible skeptics. Joe has had to prove himself and HE DID. If Steve was the better candidate I would switch but he is clearly not. But he has lived here longer, so what.

• Ken McLeod permalink
        May 9, 2010 8:03 pm

Issue of orgin of the canidates is very well stated. The issues that face America are far greater than the orgin of the canidate. It is my opinion that Joe is willing and devoted to serving ALL of the people in District Four.

Respectfully,

Ken McLeod

• Johnny Boy permalink
      May 4, 2010 5:21 pm

WOW!! First it’s that we can’t support Mormon’s. Now we can’t support Catholics either??? My my. Bigotry is obviously still alive and well in Mississippi!!

• fun2btan permalink
        May 5, 2010 1:40 am

Jonny, church affiliation no longer matters, I’m very sorry to say. Bill Clinton was a “good” Baptist…NOT!!!
        It is their Character that matters. They have to have such a strong Character or fall into temptation. Someone who refuses to vote for the religion you listed wont be voting. Just ignore them. Decide for yourself after looking into the candidates carefully. Meet them personally, ask them a tough question. Listen carefully.

• Johnny Boy permalink
          May 9, 2010 10:15 pm

I do, I really do, but I get so sick of the backwards thinking from some of these posters. It’s 2010 people, racism and bigotry is no longer in vogue!!

5. BringIT permalink
    May 4, 2010 5:19 pm

I appreciate the overview, Brett. Fair and balanced.
    The only thing I will say about all of this is, why is Dollars-Steve refusing to do anymore side by sides with Tegerdine?? Three counties have been turned down so far by the Palazzo camp, and now Palazzo is avoiding Dave Elliot’s (WLOX) request to host a televised debate between Tegerdine and Palazzo. Don’t we, the fourth district DESERVE to see the candidates side by side and get a good view of them? Does Palazzo think that commercials and radio ads will suffice?? Or has Palazzo finally come to grips with the fact that he PALES in comparison to Tegerdine and wants to hide this from his constituents. Hey Palazzo folks: LET’S SEE SOME MORE Q&A’S ALREADY!!!

• mspolitics82 permalink
      May 4, 2010 7:53 pm

Where is the info about the WLOX debate coming from? I would like to know more.

• fun2btan permalink
      May 5, 2010 2:05 am

Steven will do more side by sides. I heard him say he is looking forward to an actual debate with Joe. Joe has said the same. Please post the schedule of that the speaking engagements where they will be speaking together. I trust Steven is a man of his word and will be accepting speaking engagements where Joe is speaking as well. He will be taking the challenges because to refuse would demonstrate weakness that would loose him the race. An effective Congressman willing to represent the people must, MUST be an excellent communicator and persuade others to vote with him.

I noticed that Steven’s helpers are not online today. Guess they are working on other things?
      Common you guys I could use a little help here.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        May 5, 2010 8:45 am

You seem like a very loyal supporter for Steven….I am sure he appreciates having folks like you on his team. What concerns me about that “rumor” of his campaign not accepting a WLOX debate with Tegerdine—I will call “rumor’”until verification has been made—-is that the people of the district deserve a chance to see both candidates side by side….and it is at these forums and debates where they have the greatest opportunity to do so; and a televised debate would be phenomenal in reaching a big portion of the district. Now, I understand that if a candidate has the money advantage, then maybe he thinks by staying away from the other guy and spending the money for t.v., then people will only see him; that is assuming, of course, the other guy will NOT be on t.v. But to decline free t.v. time sounds almost ridiculous, and almost like he’s scared to appear with Tegerdine….again, I am hoping this is just rumor.

• Juniper Live permalink
          May 5, 2010 11:36 am

Steven will go on TV with Joe Tegerdine anytime. Just wait and see Steven is not scared of anything he will step forward. He wants Mississippi to have a good understanding of the candidates. He knows he is the best and only Mississippi born candidate speaking beside Joe is not an problem for him.

• mspolitics82 permalink
            May 5, 2010 12:58 pm

Great. I hope you are right, because I think the people deserve that opportunity if it is being offered by the t.v. station.

• Johnny Boy permalink
        May 7, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry Friends,
        Call Marion, Jones and Wayne counties and Dave Elliot from WLOX…all have said that Steven Palazzo have either refused outright or has been “hedging” and unwilling to give a date. Wells Griffith (Palazzo’s campaign manager) told one county that SP won’t be doing anymore forums with Tegerdine. Let’s hope you SP fans can get him to change his mind…since he told Elliot in his interview that he would happily come on with Tegerdine. Pretty disappointing for someone who thinks he can beat Taylor but won’t even go against Tegerdine in the primary!!

6. Brian Dove permalink
    May 4, 2010 10:06 pm

Tegerdine has been in the state about the same amount of time that Jesus spent developing his ministry. I guess Jesus’ disciples really did not have enough time to become real Christians either?

Wonder how long someone has to be a born again Christian before they are a real Christian?
    I want someone that will listen to me and return my phone calls and emails. Tegerdine and his camp do that – Palazzo and his camp have not yet.

Judging from his Record, it seems Palazzo is more interested in making some members of the MS GOP leadership happy instead of listening to his constituents – evidence – his record on eminent domain and how HE thought he knew what was better for us than we did (he said that I didn’t).

He was alone in his voting on this issue at and he’s in touch with Mississippi and the overwhelming majority of legislators who voted against him and Tegerdine isn’t because he has only been here three years?

Tegerdine’s been working the grass roots for a year and Palazzo just got started and Palazzo knows what we want more than someone that has been doing face to face with us for a year?

Tegerdine’s 700 people are democrats and independents and people who no longer consider themselves full fledged Republicans. Who outside of the MS GOP is supporting Palazzo? Palazzo and the MS GOP may not be able to muster enough votes to beat Taylor without them.

What reconciliation plans does the MS GOP have after the Primary – or do they think they don’t need Tegerdine’s people? Tegerdine has a plan and I promise you it wasn’t fashioned by the same people that lost the last several elections against Taylor.

We did not seem to be bothered with outsiders telling us what to do after the storm – government on both sides of the aisle paid lots of money for people from California and Florida and many other outsiders to tell us what to do – nobody blinked an eye. Stark contrast to the thousands of Americans of many faiths who mucked out our houses and did many unpleasant things without asking for one red cent.

The MS GOP can’t seem to solve our insurance problems on the Coast without creating an alliance with Taylor over All Perils Insurance during a political season THEY SAY they are trying to replace him with a Republican? How does that make sense? And then the MS GOP brings a Pennsylvanian in to tell us how to solve our insurance problems and his answer is to let Pelosi and her crowd solve our problems with another nationalized insurance program?

I am not convinced yet that the MS GOP and the people funding Palazzo are serious about removing Gene Taylor from office – they have not been able to do it in the last 20 years- now we are supposed to just blindly accept their pick and believe they can do it this time?

I wonder if the MS GOP is serious about getting the Federal Government out of our lives and out of our wallets. If so why do they keep running to them to bail us out?

I wonder if Palazzo is in this because people were afraid someone might actually beat Taylor. The Republicans alliance over the All Perils Insurance just causes me to wonder all kinds of things like that?

Maybe it’s time to stop listening to the people that have not got the job done for 20 years and try something or someone new.

7. Hershel Yerber permalink
    May 4, 2010 11:15 pm

I would like to know how much money the Joe Campaign Bloggers are getting paid? There is obviously not any objective observations. I have read about how Mississippians wouldn’t vote for an Irish-Catholic nor a Mormon. I have read about comparing and contrasting the knowledge of the political arena to Jesus’s ministry. Both are two totally different concepts. We have talked about how long each candidate has been working on campaigning. Do we not realize that it is not how you start, IT is how you finish. Out of all the things discussed on this blog, a very nominal percentage is talking about platforms. I am glad we all agree Gene Taylor needs to be out of office. I understand we all have our favorites in this election, but please don’t forget the main objective. Don’t rip apart each others campaign. I have heard more negative comments than mudslinging campaign TV ads.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      May 5, 2010 8:39 am

Let’s see…negative comments???? mudslinging???? Do you include your first sentence of that same post in those categories?

8. Paul permalink
    May 5, 2010 1:07 am

Tegerdine = Crazy Propaganda.

No thanks. I’m getting enough from Obama.

At least Palazzo stands for something. Tegerdine stands for nothing. It is evident by the misleading blog post and tom-foolery being used. Honor is important to me. You people seemed to have no such thing. The ends never justify the means.

• Deborah Erickson permalink
      May 5, 2010 12:18 pm

I have know Joe his entire life and I can tell you he has always been loyal and honorable and informed. He is loved statewide and internationally. He will do what he says he will do. He will prepresent Mississippi with a passion as he has always done with his family and friends.

• Rabbit permalink
      May 5, 2010 2:33 pm

Paul : What misleading blog post are you referring to? Post the link please.
      Paul : What Crazy Propaganda? Do tell
      Paul what does Palazzo stand for? I’ve been to his web site but I can’t navigate it well.

I would like to hear him speak where can I find him at? It seems we always miss each other. Is there a chance both Joe and Steven will be at the same place speaking that would be even better for me because I could get my mom and neighbor to come with me. The are avid Joe supporters but perhaps we can convince them when they see them side by side.

• blog4joet permalink
        May 6, 2010 12:01 pm

Hey Rabbit I see Paul never got back to you. Guess he was just spitting out lies. That’s ACORN for you.

I like Joe’s new web site and You Tube site. He has the best unpaid volunteer supporters I have ever known.

9. LimaBean permalink
    May 5, 2010 3:56 am

Now y’all are comparing Joe to Jesus? seriously? I think Joe is an alright guy but ease up on the messiah stuff it is freaking me out a little bit.

I just checked the primary results for NC and IN where ICaucus endorsed 10 candidates. The same grass roots engine driving Joe’s campaign. Only two of the ten won with one now in a run off. Jackie Walorski in IN CD2 and Todd Young in a squeaker in IN CD9. Walorski raised 304k and Young raised 473k (fyi Both had been previously noticed by the NRCC)
    One candidate in NC Eichenbaum will be in a run off. He raised 127k.

Bottom line money matters. No matter what the passionate supporters of Joe say Palazzo has a much better chance against Taylor.

I have measured and weighed both candidates and actually like both of them, both have great platforms, both are honorable and good people, but Palazzo has my support because he has a lifetime investment in Mississippi. It is not just about loving the State or deciding to live in it – it is about a lifetime of personal investment. Investment is measurable not only in money and property, but in lives and futures. He can not just on a whim up and move somewhere without major life changing consequences. He is rooted here. What he will do in Congress will affect his entire family, his childhood friends, schoolmates, his neighbors, his clients, his business, and associates directly. He will represent them in Congress not via political theory or philosophy, or with great ideals, but in reality with actual human faces that he has known his entire life and will have to face should he faulter. It is really the whole point of having a representative in the first place.

“He’s one of us” is an important part of that representation which is completely dismissed by Joe’s supporters as unimportant, but it is very important. It is not about where you were born it is about where your heart is and where you build your foundation, plant your seeds, and harvest. It is a strong tie to a community that is personal and deep. Steven is connected to South Mississippi and it is connected to him.

I could give many examples but a recent one that comes to mind is that Steven has taken time off from campaigning to talk about and to help recruit volunteers to help with the oil spill because it is important to him and to us. That is not part of his job as State Rep. he is doing it because it has to be done. That is what Marines do. What happens here matters to him on a very personal level and it shows. Steven Palazzo is my choice and he has my vote and the full support of my family.

10. mspolitics82 permalink
    May 5, 2010 8:35 am

LimaBean: I will mention but one of your several misconceptions and incorrect analysis of the Tegerdine campaign: you say that ICaucus is driving his campaign. He received an early endorsement from that group, and that’s it. After checking with someone close to the campaign, there is nothing, get it right now, NOTHING being done by I Caucus, other than one VOLUNTEER TRAINING session several, several months ago. The driving force behind the campaign is quite simple: it’s not the NRCC, it’s not the MS GOP or anyone who resigned from their organiz. to work for the campaign, it’s not a professional fundraiser—-IT IS THE CANDIDATE HIMSELF, and the many volunteers who are organized by counties to “get the work done”, plain and simple.

Oh, and by the way, I don’t take your comments as “gospel” and “common viewpoint” by those who support Steven Palazzo, so, I would kindly suggest that you do the same on the “other side of the fence”—-specifically the first sentence of your last post where you said, “Now, YA’LL are comparing….” To be fair, now, that was one comment made by one person; I would seriously doubt it to be an opinion supported by the campaign or majority of supporters, as you implied.

• LimaBean permalink
      May 5, 2010 12:43 pm

mspolitics82 thank you for the update on ICaucus. They and JT made a big deal about it. I have read it here many times. The ICaucus endorsement was supposed to be followed up by a number of things or so I read. So you are saying they have done nothing? Now I am confused.
      On the other thing yeah 1 guy made a comment about Joe and Jesus, so I pointed it out but I didn’t think of it as “gospel” like you did. That is another reference to Joe’s alleged divinity btw. However I do continually read about how Joe will save us, and that he is the only one, etc. by his supporters (disciples?), but you know even your guy may view himself as a “savior” type. Several months ago on Joe’s blog he even posted a photo of himself in a superman costume. Though it has long since been removed he did posted it. Really I am not making this up. Do an image search for him on google if you don’t believe me. It is still floating around out there. What may seem to you as a simple comment about one post is really veiled commentary about subtle and obvious suggestions that Tegerdine is more than just a candidate and as I said in another post it does freak me out.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        May 5, 2010 1:05 pm

You are really out in left field, and I really have no animosity when I say that. I am not sure where in the world you are going with all this savior/Jesus/Joe comparison crap, but it really is ridiculous to say that is an effort of his campaign. And as far as the superman picture….that was done VERY early in the campaign, and I heard Joe telling someone that he did that as a “fun” thing for his little boys (who like Superman)…when he heard that some people were making something so ridiculously silly out of it, then he took it down. I guess what astounds me is that so many people who don’t like Tegerdine, don’t like him for really insignficant and unimportant stuff, not because of his stance on the issues. I haven’t seen too many comments—very, very, very few in fact—that say “I cannot support Joe because he believes ______ (fill in the blank).” It’s always something on the verge of silliness/childish.

11. princess sophia permalink
    May 5, 2010 2:39 pm

Lima I just want to see them debate on television so people will see why Steve is afraid to debate him. The infantile smear attempts will be seen for what they are. They can’t let the campaign be about issues because they will get their butts handed to them again. I’ve seen them debate several times now. Half of the time Steve looks like he’s not so sure where his shirt tail was in relationship to the toilet paper. It’s pretty funny. At least Steve won’t have to watch everyone head for Joe’s table after the debate this way. He can tell himself he won for once. I watched Steve try to explain that he wasn’t sure exactly what the emminant domain had in it. He was one of I think 2 or 3 people that voted it down. That was in Gulfport one night I think it was last month or so.

• LimaBean permalink
      May 5, 2010 3:10 pm

I agree Sophia a televised debate would be great. I don’t think it will have the effect you think it will though, but I still would love to see it.

12. Bubba permalink
    May 5, 2010 5:25 pm

If people of Mississippi like the way things are going in this country and feel they are better off then they were several years ago, then they need to keep re-electing the same old “Bought and Paid for Career Politicians”. If they want to return the country back to a constitutional form of government then they need to elect “Political Outsiders” its that simple. Then they need to push for term limits so those outsiders don’t turn into “Bought and Paid for Career Politicians”. I’m voting to throw every one of those Idiots out of office.

13. Liberty permalink
    May 5, 2010 5:32 pm

LimaBean

Joe Tegerdine (along with hundreds of other citizens) has also taken time off from his campaign to volunteer and to go through the hazmat training to help with the oil spill.
    Because that is what Citizens do.

14. Raiseya permalink
    May 6, 2010 7:45 am

Brett, once again you impress me with your balanced analysis. You note that SP held a significant fundraising total for Q1 over Joe. If these are quarterly reports, there will not be another set of reports until after the primary.

I follow the national political scene on the web, and I see a surge in citizens standing up and running for office for the first time. If this is not just a one time blip, it means that the citizens of this country are waking up and getting involved. It means ‘politics as usual’ just won’t fly any more.

I think Joe Tegerdine represents the leading edge of this involvement, as he was one of the first to stand up. I stand with him.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      May 6, 2010 2:18 pm

If I am not mistaken, there are reports that are due just before the primary, too. I looked it up a few days ago….if these aren’t exact dates, they are close: the closing date for the period is 5/12, with the actual filing deadline on 5/20, and if anything is received after 5/13, the candidate has 48 hours to report it before June 1. Once the candidate exceeds $50K, I believe it must be reported electronically.

15. Johnny Boy permalink
    May 7, 2010 4:37 pm

Sorry Friends,

16. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 16, 2010 9:15 am

I am not sure why Palazzo want debate Tegerdine. The only advantage Tegerdine may have is the fact that he brings a handful of supporters to scream and boo Palazzo everytime he speaks. Then they sound like a high school pep ralley for Tegerdine. The truth is Tegerdine, you can blame the radical republicans you bring to the debate. I do not see why anyone would shy down to a HONEST and FAIR Debate. The truth is Palazzo is not a great political speaker and Tegerdine has much more practice at political preaching. That is Tegerdine’s problem all he can do is preach. He tells us what is wrong with the country and society and he is good at it. When someone pushes him for a solution to a problem that is when he sounds more like a typical Radical Romney Republican talking out of the back of his neck. When you carefully listen, Tegerdine’s answers are ANTI-TEA PARTY about 50% of the time. One occasion Tegerdine was asked about reform of the tax code. Tegedine gave about a 5 min reply supporting a NEW FLAT TAX (A National Sale Tax). When the interviewer pushed him on how he would push a new tax through Congress, he replied that he would push for the tax to be passed first and then look at repealing some of the other taxes that government burdons us with. Now everyone reading this blog knows that Congress will pass a new tax, but they never repeal an old tax. I say to true TEA-PARTY activist like me, look deep into the canadates and lets elect someone who can win in November.

17. jo oliver permalink
    May 20, 2010 3:41 am

I have issue with any politician that wants to abolish entitlement programs. Yes, they are abused and need reform, but Joe believes that abolishment is the reform. That is just naive; there are people like my handicapped daughter that will never be able to care for herself or even understand what an entitlement program is. Civilized society has an obligation to provide standardized systems like Medicaid and SSI for these people that CAN NOT physically and/or mentally care for themselves…..while making sure that those that can, but dont want to do for themselves do not abuse said systems. I’m sorry, I think Joe is a sincere person and deeply cares about America, but I can not vote for him on the basis of this issue.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )