McGlowan Now Pledges To Support Primary Winner

May 4, 2010

The Desoto Times Tribune had an article that came out last night looking over the First District GOP primary debate that took place over the weekend at the Southern Baptist Educational Center.

The first paragraph of the story says this: “Recognizing partisan infighting, which some say ultimately caused the election of Democratic rival Travis Childers, the three major Republican Party candidates running for Congress pledged to support the GOP victor of the June 1 primary.”

I have double checked and am waiting word that that is 100 percent accurate because Angela McGlowan had previously told Paul Gallo she would support Henry Ross if he were to win the primary- but not Alan Nunnelee. Obviously if this true her position has changed and frankly for Republicans that is a change for the better.

Update: I did get confirmation from the author of the Desoto Times Tribune article that McGlowan said she would support the GOP nominee.

McGlowan’s earlier comments made their way to POLITICO and the Gallo transcript from February are below. Obviously as we get any confirmation or video we will update everyone.

Q (Gallo): If you’re not the nominee, if you don’t win, if you happen to lose … will you support the Republican nominee?

A (McGlowan): If it’s Henry Ross, I will.

Q: So in other words, if it’s Alan Nunnelee, you won’t support him? You’d support Childers?

A: I will support the Republican party. I will more than likely write a book about my experience about Mississippi politics … and I will support the run against Nancy Pelosi and Obama.

Q: Angela, do you know how bad that sounds, though?

A: Philosophically, I do not agree [with him]; Alan Nunnelee is a RINO Republican. Alan Nunnelee is not a true conservative from my standpoint, he’s a RINO Republican. A Republican in name only.

Q: So in other words, you wouldn’t support the Republican nominee?

A: If it’s Henry Ross, I’ll support Henry Ross. … I will not speak against Alan Nunnelee, but I cannot support signing a tax pledge and raising taxes, Paul, and that’s what he did!

1. Grizz permalink
    May 4, 2010 10:40 am

she ought to announce she also supports ETHICS esp. when it comes to her campaign staff ( SOME ) who appear to have none——– WHEN CAMPAIGN STAFF AUTHORIZE A PURCHASE,YOU NEED TO MAN UP AND PAY FOR IT–NOT TRY AND WELCH OUT-

2. Sarah permalink
    May 4, 2010 2:06 pm

You need to stop hating on our next rep. All you racist need to stop attacking Mrs. McGlowan because the color of her skin. There is not anybody that can go to Washington and do what Mrs. McGlowan can do for us. I think its reel interesting that so many of you racist act like you are for Angie and now that people think you supporter her you all of a sudden cant supporter any more because of some secret that you cant bear to share with the rest of us. Get real you were faking from the start. I think yall need to go have a hood meeting and come up with some new attack ideas. Cause aint nobody buying this one you posers!

• Hershel Yerber permalink
      May 4, 2010 11:19 pm

You honestly think people are racist because they just do not support a candidate. How about they are actually independent thinkers? How about they like the platform of the other candidates? Your argument is irrational.

• Yankee Clipper permalink
      May 6, 2010 1:35 am

Sarah.

You sound like the racist here. I am dissappointed that Angela brought up race recently, I believe that it will not broaden her appeal. You have made it clear that anyone not supporting her in Dist. 1 must be some kind of racist. That’s a bit of an overkill I would say.

I have been to campaign rallies for two of the candidates and talked to a good many people attending and did not hear one racially biased comment about her. She is very dynamic and could have a political future, but she will have to work and study personally and she really needs better handlers and advisors. I think she came back home and naively jumped into the deep end of the pool and she didn’t know how to swim yet. I hope she runs again in the future, because she has a lot to offer.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
        May 6, 2010 12:26 pm

YC what does she have to offer?
        The fact that she is so dynamic? So is Obama!
        That is not what we need in Dist 1. We need someone who is a thinker and has some ideas and plans. We need a person who can think on the fly and will stick to there ideals. We need someone who can move forward we do not need someone who has to go back and explain why they stick there foot in there mouth all of the time.
        McGlowan is only running for the GOP ticket and has already threatened the rest of DC with her access to “ink”. Is this what you are referring to when you say she has a lot to offer, her ability to make threats?

• Yankee Clipper permalink
          May 6, 2010 6:35 pm

MS Elitist,

I believe she may have the edge in DC due to the fact she probably knows lots of good contacts. That’s no small advantage.

Touche’ on dynamic.

I personally think she is very intelligent, however it doesn’t show because her mouth engages ahead of her brain. I think part of that is due to not being prepared for a political race. I don’t think she realised it would be as hard as it has been for her. I think she needs to step back from this one and observe and learn from her mistakes. I think she thought see could waltz in and everyone would fall over them selves to vote for her. I wouldn’t right her off for a future political career, but she’s got a lot to learn.

I think she’s getting bad advice from her campaign manager. Threats do not generally garner votes.

I too have wondered how that foot must taste and how the Hell she can speak with it in her mouth. Just kidding around here. I try to hold all the candidates in high regard, because it is difficult at best to put yourself out in front of the people. I respect that from all of them.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
            May 6, 2010 7:07 pm

“because it is difficult at best to put yourself out in front of the people. I respect that from all of them.” I agree. I would hate to know what they would get on me. You know the “oh yeah now I remember” type stuff that I did so long ago.
            As far as McGlowan goes that foot in mouth is only one of the reasons I did not choose her as my candidate. One of my personal choice factors is which candidate seems to have wisdom. Many people are very smart but lack wisdom and that is what we lack in DC more than anything right now.
            If you will read 2 Chronicles Ch1 v10 that is what I look for in a candidate. Now I know there is no candidate that is as wise as Solomon but I can study them to find which one seems to grasp the gravity of what it means to govern others, just as Solomon did. I do not think Mrs. McGlowan understands what it means to govern others. I feel that she just sees this election as an opportunity for herself no matter if it means getting elected or writing a book.

3. yallpintern permalink
    May 4, 2010 8:18 pm

Sarah, I am far from a racisit. Some of my best friends growing up have been black and Mexicans (they are from Mexico and don’t like being called “hispanics”). It’s not the color of McGlowan skin that makes me not like her, its her craziness. And trust me, she is nuts. She came out explicitly saying Nunnelee was a “RINO” republican. Even after advocating for registering guns. Go back and listen to that interview, she had enough info. to form a pro-gun opinion and she didn’t. Gallo asked her several times to back up, and she didn’t. I don’t think she’d go to Congress and push for gun registration, but I do think she flys off the handle and would only alienate herself and Mississippi. We need someone in Congress who say things willy nilly and then come back and say “oh, I was wrong, this is what I meant to say …”

I am sick of people using the race card, and suspect you know McGlowan on a personal level and likely work for her. It’s a desperation move and I’m sick of it. Quit accusing people who haven’t said ONE racisit thing.

• yallpintern permalink
      May 4, 2010 11:30 pm

I meant we don’t need someone who goes to D.C. and flys off the handle.

I should also note that while I am yallpintern, I don’t speak for Alan or yallpolitics.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      May 5, 2010 9:58 am

Hey yallpintern I agree with what you wrote about McGlowan. I do not like her either and as a matter of fact I was called a racist by one of these McClown supporters just last week. I will tell you what is really funny is the blogger that called me a racist is the very one being called a racist here. Oh the irony of it all.
      The woman said she was running in order to get info so she could write a book. I can tell you now if she wins the book will be about her triumph over racism in the south. If she loses her book will be about how racism in the south kept her from being elected. Either way Mississippians lose.
      I just wonder how many of these bogs will be included in her book?

4. Carolyn permalink
    May 4, 2010 8:48 pm

I was at the candidates forum at SBEC and want to clarify something the Times is absolutely wrong about. Ms. McGlowan did NOT say she would SUPPORT Nunnelee or Ross. She specifically said she would VOTE for either of them. There’s a vast difference between voting for someone and supporting them. Nunnelee and Ross both said they would SUPPORT the candidate who won.

5. INDEPNMS permalink
    May 5, 2010 9:21 am

My Fellow Mississippians: As we approach the primaries we should be thankful that we have three viable Republican candidates for Congress. Irregardless of how you may feel or what you may believe about a given candidate, we must present a completely unified front come November. It is critical that we lay aside our differences for the greater good. We will need all our strength to defeat the vested interest of the current administration. As for Angela Mcglowen, we need to realize that none of the candidates are perfect. I am inclined to be more receptive of the candidate whom readily admits their mistakes as long as they have the best interest of the voters at heart. I don’t know which candidate will support whom at the end of the primaries but as for me, I will support the primary winner in order to preserve the greater cause.

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      May 5, 2010 12:19 pm

I agree with your statement “It is critical that we lay aside our differences for the greater good” but I do not think that Angela McGlowan is the greater good. Travis certainly is not the greater good. I am thinking that if Angela McGlowan wins we may be once again voting for the candidate that we feel will do the least amount of damage. Not the candidate that is for the greater good.
      Would you agree with these sentiments INDEPNMS?

6. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    May 5, 2010 7:18 pm

Which on would do the least amount of damage?

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      May 6, 2010 11:51 am

I am afraid the answer may be Wally Pang!

• Tea Party Leader II permalink
        May 6, 2010 12:14 pm

Ha! Good answer – Ya gotta love that guy!

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
          May 6, 2010 12:28 pm

I’ll betcha didn’t see that comming!

7. Falstaff permalink
    May 10, 2010 11:02 am

Yeah, I agree with a previous poster–HUGE difference in agreeing to support and agreeing to vote for.
    I contend that if that guy Glen McCullough had supported and endorsed that mayor candidate up there (Greg Somebody) yall would have elected a Republican.

As memory serves me correctly, McCullough did no campaign events for Mayor Greg and by absence sent a VERY loud message to voters in Lee County–I’d rather the guy with the “Nut Duster” be elected than the guy who just beat me in a primary. That kind of loyalty in ranks is pitiful.

Nice work, R’s. Yall keep it up!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )