Friday Ramblings with Robert

May 7, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Alan Nunnelee, Angela McGlowan, British Parliament, Gene Taylor, Henry Ross, Joe Tegerdine, MS-01, MS-04, Steven Palazzo, Travis Childers
by Robert

Brits Go Conservative

Not sure if anyone really cares, but Parliament elections were held in Great Britain yesterday and the Labour Party was voted out of the majority and Conservatives now hold the most seats in a hung Parliament.  Conservatives will come up short of a full ruling majority due to all the parties that are represented there, but it is interesting to see our neighbors across the pond heading to the right politically speaking.  Conservatives there are by no means what we would consider Conservatives here in the US, but it is interesting to see the left (Labour) being voted out in favor of the right (Conservatives) over there.  Could this be a precursor of things to come for us over here in terms of our upcoming elections?   It very well could be a sign of things to come here as the disenchantment with Democrats here continues to grow.

My Take on MS-04

Brett looked at the two hotly contested GOP primary races in MS-01 and MS-04 this week and I thought I would offer my forecast on things as well since it is a hot topic.  I think down south in MS-04 will probably be the more interesting race out of the two in terms of overall suspense because it has been hard to get a good read either way on which way the district is leaning.  There is no doubt that both Joe Tegerdine and Steven Palazzo have a good base of support, but I have the feeling that Palazzo has an edge here.  I could be completely wrong, but I think Palazzo will win a closely contested primary race with Tegerdine.  I think both are very strong candidates and would do well against Gene Taylor considering the nature of elections this fall and Republicans really have nothing to lose in this district so either candidate would have a great shot to pull off an upset.  In the end I think Palazzo edges out Tegerdine for that chance at Taylor.

My Take on MS-01

The three-headed duel in the north of the state offers its own intrigue to the elections this year, but I’m not expecting anything earth shattering.  I see Alan Nunnelee, Henry Ross and Angela McGlowan in that order when the primary results are counted.  I think Henry Ross poses the only formidable challenge to the clear frontrunner, Nunnelee.  I’m just not sure he is going to be able to get the votes to topple Nunnelee who has an extremely strong base and has good name recognition in the area as a result of his powerful leadership role in the Mississippi Legislature.  Nunnelee has played it safe the whole time and I do not think Ross or McGlowan have done anything to really set themselves apart and give them an edge to overcome Nunnelee in the primary.  I think Nunnelee wins the primary fairly, without a runoff, easily and moves on to focus on unseating Travis Childers.

1. Hershel Yerber permalink
    May 7, 2010 5:02 pm

I believe this is a great analysis of the primaries.

2. Mike permalink
    May 7, 2010 8:43 pm

If Tegerdine wins I expect Haley Barbour to throw him a fundraiser… I’d expect nothing less from the fine Governor.

• Petal Princess permalink
      May 8, 2010 3:12 am

Looks like Mike didn’t get the Tegerdine Memo…”no more blogging crazy crap that shows how crazy tegerdine and his supporters are.” All 5 other repeat bloggers got the memo.

It’s ok mike. I wouldn’t want to be muzzled by a carpetbagger from Oregon either. Speak your mind, even if nobody understands what your saying.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        May 8, 2010 10:00 am

Looks like YOU, Petal Princess, just did the same thing that you accused Mike of doing with your smart *#s carpetbagger comment….I call it like I see it.

• Johnny Boy permalink
        May 8, 2010 10:56 pm

Mike is referring the to the classless act of Hayley Barbour headlining a fundraiser for Mr. Palazzo. Thus, he feels that it’s only fair for Gov. Barbour to headline a fundraiser for Tegerdine WHEN he wins the primary.

• Mike permalink
        May 9, 2010 1:39 am

How’d you know there were only five?

3. Mike permalink
    May 7, 2010 8:46 pm

BTW Brett… you’ve done a good job on this blog of being objective. Despite the result of the June 1 GOP Primary I respect your skills as a good blogger and just wanna say Thanks!

4. mspolitics82 permalink
    May 8, 2010 12:24 am

Just wondering…..coz I didn’t really read one…is there a particular reason or two (other than money) that makes you think Palazzo has the edge, or is it just the money difference?

5. Shad permalink
    May 8, 2010 5:12 am

I saw today on facebook where Ross has announced some kind of bus tour where he’s going to 30 cities in like three or four days. Thats unreal. I know Nunnelee is sitting on the end of the rainbow right now with money but if he goes into a run-off with Ross he’s grass. I was at the Columbus Debate and Ross clearly won it. I havent heard about Tupelo or the others. I just dont see any McGlowan supports (figuring theres (15-20%) coming out for Nunnelee. Who knows, Im just glad someones putting some fire to his feet to toughen him up for the general if he makes it.