Pre-Primary Campaign Finance Numbers Are Released

May 21, 2010
tags: 2010 House, fundraising, MS-01, MS-04

With the June 1 primary fast approaching, candidates were required to submit there pre-primary campaign disclosures. Here is a look at where the candidates in the First and Fourth stand today. (Click on the candidate’s name to see the actual report in a PDF from the FEC website).

First District GOP Primary:

Alan Nunnelee- For the April 1- May 12 period, he raised almost $57,000. His operating expenditures totaled a little over $197,000 leaving him with about $150,000 cash on hand. What did he spend all that money on? In addition to standard things like signs, payroll, campaign strategy, etc., he spent about $20,000 on media production and another $100,000 on a media buy.

Henry Ross- Over that same period, he raised a little more than $16,000. His operating expenditures were around $51,000 giving him about $62,000 cash on hand at this time. One of the interesting contributions I saw with Ross came from Ralph Doxey, a former state legislator from Holly Springs.

Angela McGlowan- She raised around $49,000 during the same period. After spending about $63,000 she closed the period with about $1,400 cash on hand. Of the three MS-01 candidates, she certainly has the most out-of-state individual contributions as I would say they constitute probably half of her receipts this period. As for disbursements were seeing most of the regular items, except she spent a ton on security- probably close to $15,000 this period.

Note: Travis Childers raised about $40,000, spending around $35,000 which leaves him with a little more than $700,000 cash on hand.

Fourth District GOP Primary:

Steven Palazzo- He raised a little under $28,000 for the April 1- May 12 period. After spending around $54,000 he is now posting about $94,000 cash on hand. Of note, the campaign paid about $6,400 for a “survey of voter attitudes” (polling?) to The Terrance Group of Alexandria, Virginia.

Joe Tegerdine- During that same time, he posted around $27,500. He spent about $8,000 this period closing off with around $24,000 cash on hand. Percentage wise, I would say his campaign has more “Unitemized” (versus itemized) contributions than any of the other candidates I am looking at.

The two campaigns were both within a couple hundred dollars of each other for that period fundraising wise.

Note: Gene Taylor raised a little under $19,000 for this period while spending slightly more than $24,000. He currently has about $217,000 cash on hand.

1. Mike permalink
    May 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Brett, what does “unitemized” mean?

2. May 21, 2010 4:47 pm

I believe it is smaller donations that you do not have to report individually. I have read conflicting stories as to whether that is $250 or $100. If I have the rules correct, you have to report the money for your overall receipts total, just not the actual person/ address/ occupation, etc.

• tom permalink
      May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Brett, McGlowan has $22,500 worth of InKind contributions. She took all of her volunteers and placed a value of $2000 or $2400 on them. In fact, she has $2400 inkind from her mother. This must be for staying at her mothers house while in Mississippi. Not really money raised!

• Mike permalink
      May 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Ok thanks!

3. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    May 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Wow that Ross “grassroots” group is really puttin’ there money where there mouth is. I mean McGlowan, the biggest bust in Mississippi since the beef plant, raised almost as three times as much as Ross. Ross even has the support of one of the largest real estate brokers in the country behind him as well as a GOP politician. Shocking stuff when you read some of these statements about how Nunnelee is the “establishments candidate.”
    If either McGlowan or Ross win Childres will be sitting pretty.
    I find the security expenditures of McGlowan ironic because she is hiring security to “protect” her from the very people she wants to represent.

• marmie permalink
      May 21, 2010 9:24 pm

When you look at the in kind contributions and the out of state contributions, you will see that very little comes from D1 voters.

4. Travis permalink
    May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

I’m here in District 4, and I had my “attitude surveyed” recently. I dunno if it was connected to his campaign, but they survey was sent from Fairfax or Alexandria if I remember right.