Barbour and Obama Meet in Gulfport

June 14, 2010
tags: Barack Obama, Haley Barbour, oil spill

President Obama arrived in Gulfport this morning and was greeted by, among others, Gov. Haley Barbour and his wife, Marsha. In an interesting political twist, Obama has been hit hard by Republicans (and the media to some extent) for his lack of reaction and leadership following the oil spill that began with an April 20 explosion killing 11 workers. In Mississippi, Democrats have attempted to portray Barbour as sympathetic to BP and ‘big business,’ while downplaying the significance of the spill.

Barbour has spent a good amount of time on national television criticizing the media’s coverage of the spill which has obviously hurt industry along the Coast. He was on Face the Nation this past weekend, and a week before that he was on FoxNews Sunday:

1. NoChilders permalink
    June 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Barbour is in a tricky position. He has to do what is best for the Mississippi coast while holding BP accountable. I cannot stand Obama and detest the very sight of him but the oil in the Gulf is not his fault (that was painful to type). It was an accident. BP is responsible and in my humble opinion the government is the group to hold BP responsible within reason. Should I be able to file a claim because my yearly trip to Destin is ruined? No, but for those people who will be impacted on the Gulf Coast they need to be helped and looked out for. I agree in that area the governement must get involved.

2. Grizz permalink
    June 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Haley better be carefull,zero will cite him in violation of his new presidential order health & fitness mandate.

3. INDEPNMS permalink
    June 14, 2010 3:09 pm

We could only hope that Haley Barbour’s extension of the courtesy of the governor’s office will be well received by Obama. I mean it would be wonderful if the “get it done” attitude of Barbour would rub off a little on Obama while they are in such close proximity to each other. We can hope for the best. Hopefully Haley Barbour filled his ear full of what a job killer the suspension of offshore drilling is and especially any re-vamped tax and fade, I mean cap and trade. If we know our governor, he would rather deal with one disaster and not deal with another in the form of a federal government inflicted economic decline.

• Grizz permalink
      June 14, 2010 5:13 pm

you can bet the farm zero detests our Gov.,along with ALL the coast Gov.s–cept charlie his bud-

4. marmie permalink
    June 16, 2010 7:49 pm

My heart goes out to the people on the MS Gulf Coast. I plan to drive down for a long week end this month to shop, eat seafood, and go to local museums.

5. Tea Party Leader II permalink
    June 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I want to make it known that I have not used the name Tea Party II to post information on this site since last February. Someone is using my address to make these posts and I want it stopped. Brett can you please block the use of my e-mail address on this site as Tea Party II My name is Charlotte and only I can use the e-mail address attached to this name.