Flaggs: 2011 Elections Behind Calls For New Immigration Laws

August 2, 2010
tags: Chris McDaniel, Delbert Hosemann, Ed Blackmon, George Flaggs, illegal immigration, Phil Bryant, Willie Bailey

Republican leaders have been promising strict immigration legislation next year. While its fate is uncertain in the Democratic controlled House, one leader recently spoke to Bobby Harrison and questioned the timing of the upcoming bills. State Rep. George Flaggs (D-Vicksburg) said that elections are driving the calls for strict immigration laws mirroring Arizona’s. “If the House does address this I believe it will in a civil manner. I don’t know of any House member running for governor or lieutenant governor. If it wasn’t an election year, this would not come up. That is the bottom line,” Flaggs said. I suppose Flaggs believes the Senate would act in an un-civil manner.

** Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant and Sec. of State Delbert Hosemann, both potential gubernatorial candidates, said they were ready to move forward with this legislation despite an order from a judge that temporarily blocked key parts of the Arizona legislation. Hosemann downplayed the importance saying, “that was one federal judge,” while Bryant said he had no problems with the Obama administration bringing a lawsuit against Mississippi.

*** The biggest obstacle in the House mainly rests with two committee heads. I am talking about House Judiciary A Chairman Ed Blackmon (D-Canton) and Judiciary B Chairman Willie Bailey (D-Greenville). Both are powerful, liberal Democrats strongly aligned with Speaker Billy McCoy and probably more importantly- President Barack Obama. As we saw with the debate about the abortion opt-out in the spring, many black legislators take any bills addressing national issues that conflict with the policy of the administration as an attack on the first African-American president. Bennie Thompson echoed similar sentiment in this clip about comprehensive immigration reform not to long ago. This is just my opinion, but with the heightened interest in the issue tied in with their upcoming re-election, it will be tough for the conservative, white Democrats to let committee heads kill these bills.

**** State Sen. Chris McDaniel (R-Ellisville) talked about the issue in his weekly column in the Laurel Leader-Call making the economic case for strict immigration policies.

1. mspolitics82 permalink
    August 3, 2010 5:09 pm

Flaggs may have a point in one aspect—–since his auditor’s report in 2006/2007, which was his campaign time for Lieutenant Governor, Phil Bryant has NOT mentioned illegal immigration to amount to anything, BUT now it’s election time again, and it’s back on his radar screen. I all FOR the Arizona legislation, and a little history lesson back to the post Katrina days, and you will find that Rep. Mike Lott warned us about this issue and had a comprehensive piece of legislation, too……and guess who Lott says helped him with this piece of legal work??? Chris Kobach…the same immigration attorney who wrote Arizona’s legislation. If Phil was all about illegal immigration, I mean REALLY all about it, then why did he not CONTINUE HIS FIGHT…hard and heavy….AFTER he got elected to Lt. Gov. ?? Why did he just lay back, take it easy, and get quite on the topic????

• Mississippi Elitist permalink
      August 3, 2010 5:41 pm

mspolitics82 I have two words and a number for you:
      Dave Dennis 2011

• marmie permalink
        August 3, 2010 5:53 pm

Just met Dave Dennis, I am looking forward to him being our governor.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        August 3, 2010 9:54 pm

I have two words for you———-I AGREE !

• DaveG permalink
      August 3, 2010 6:48 pm

I don’t have any problem with Dennis. Don’t have a problem with Hosemann and don’t have a problem with Bryant. To knock Bryant for not being stronger on illegal immigration is flat out wrong. He pushed the issue when he was Auditor, the senate has passed legislation only to have it killed in the House. You would be much better off directing your anger at the House leadership although seems like you only like to take your anger out on the Republican leadership.

• mspolitics82 permalink
        August 3, 2010 10:04 pm

I am not discrediting his efforts back when….but I am discrediting his efforts in between the LAST ELECTION and THIS ELECTION !!! To take “issue” with any issue only when one is in “campaign mode” is just too PLAINLY “political”. This legislation (Arizona’s) that Phil Bryant is now, all of a sudden touting, has been at his disposal here in our own state ever since he took office as governor—he could have had his capitol attorneys pull it out of the archives a few years back and revise it, or he could have picked up the phone and called the guy (former Rep. Mike Lott) who basically pioneered the legislation push against illegal immigration in MS to get some guidance (but perhaps maybe he thought he knew all he needed to know—who knows what he thought, because he just quit talking about it); Mississippi could have LED the way; my question is simply WHY DIDN’T HE DO IT? If ANYTHING is “flat out wrong”—as you said— it’s the fact that our Lt. Gov. has been pretty much silent on this issue until now, as we approach the next “campaign season”—-HOW CONVENIENT….and I don’t care how wrong you think my opinion is!

• mspolitics82 permalink
        August 3, 2010 10:14 pm

I am not taking ANGER out on anyone…..I am simply saying that PHIL BRYANT, (and he just happens to be a Republican, like me) DROPPED the immigration issue like a hot potato AFTER he got elected, and NOW has picked it up again now that it’s time to run for office again…..cannot help it if you don’t get it.

You must understand that I do keep up with immigration issues because they are VERY important to me for some PERSONAL REASONS. I do know that there have been some bills to pass the Senate in the last few years but not the House…well aware of that and of which bills they were. I am also WELL AWARE of the fact that the Republicans in the Senate are presenting “bits and pieces” of Lotts “big bill”, because those Senators have told me they did not think they could get the “big bill” passed. What I am saying is that IF Phil Bryant had continued his “interest” against illegal immigration as Lt. Gov. the way he did as Auditor, then I believe he would/should have taken a LOUD, VOCAL, UP-FRONT, IN-YOUR-FACE, ON-THE-NEWS-EVERY-NIGHT position and pushed for the kind of legislation that Arizona passed—legislation that was (and still is) at his disposal!

2. Mississippi Elitist permalink
    August 3, 2010 6:06 pm

————–

3. Pamela permalink
    August 3, 2010 6:13 pm

I have met Dave Dennis and like him very much. He has a sound financial background and really cares about Mississippi. Hopefully
    he will be our next governor.

4. Dontreadonme permalink
    August 3, 2010 8:50 pm

He just has a hard time relating to the little people. He cannot shake the swager of an elitist.

• mspolitics82 permalink
      August 3, 2010 10:06 pm

By “he”, are you referring to Phil Bryant or Dave Dennis….I am assuming Bryant since the main article is about him; but, the preceding posts were mostly about Dave Dennis, so I wasn’t sure about your comment.

5. Shad permalink
    August 3, 2010 11:50 pm

Dave is a fearless gunslinger who has the backbone to lead this state forward. I’d love to hear his responce and see his reaction to some of Speaker McCoys bluffs. I’d like to be the 1st to make the comparison to a state level version of Ronald Reagan… Just saying