What’s Behind The Change In Moderators?

October 26, 2010
tags: 2010 House, Gene Taylor, MS-04, Steven Palazzo

Last last night, I began hearing that the moderator for the upcoming debate between Gene Taylor and Steven Palazzo had been changed. A story from the Sun Herald- while not making note that there was a change- confirms the rumor.

According to Geoff Pender, Kelly Bennett will serve as moderator for Friday’s debate. Bennett is the news director for Clear Channel Radio on the Coast, and hosts a morning show on Magic 93.7. Earlier stories stated that Kipp Gregory, who has a morning shown on 104.9 (where the debate will be simulcast), would be the moderator.

I have been told by sources on the Coast that the Taylor camp was behind the change, forcing the move to drop Gregory as moderator for someone perceived as more sensitive to their side.

As I mentioned, the Sun Herald has confirmed that Bennett is the moderator. But the paper also made no note that there has been any change in plans, which does seem a little odd as this is newsworthy. We will have to wait and see if anything surfaces over the next 72 hours.

Update: We have heard from additional sources that the Taylor camp played a part in the change of moderators. I’ve also been told that the Palazzo camp will address this in some way, plans to honor the debate, but obviously isn’t thrilled about the change.

1. TheSilenceisConsent permalink
    October 26, 2010 1:43 pm

IT”S THE SUNHERALD!

2. TheSilenceisConsent permalink
    October 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello! IT’S THE SUNHERALD! What is the surprise?

3. Mike permalink
    October 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Taylor says Palazzo ain’t coming to the debate!

4. Mike permalink
    October 26, 2010 4:51 pm

‘They’ say Tim Hampton is gonna stand in place of Palazzo. Look into this and see if it’s true, I don’t know.

5. Mike permalink
    October 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Tegerdine has endorsed Taylor

funny stuff… this politics

6. Bruce Lumpkin permalink
    October 26, 2010 5:14 pm

It seems that Palazzo backed out of a forum for AARP in Hattiesburg claiming a family emergency. But was then seen eating with friends at a truck stop in Eastabuchie up in Jones County.

The latest news that I have heard is that he backed out of the Friday debate also. Seems we saw this behavior out of him in the primary. Steve just lost any chance of getting my vote! Don’t tell me you’re going to fight for my rights and then runaway! What a coward!

7. catty permalink
    October 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Palazzo, if it is true he has back out of the debate, probably has been hearing from many of us about how NASTY, UGLY AND OUT OF CONTROL, Taylor has become in the last two campaign debates in which he participated. I wouldn’t debate him either, who wants to be there when someone snears, ridicules and gets NASTY and UGLY AND LETS HIS TRUE DECEIVING NATURE COME THROUGH? No, that’s not being a coward, that’s being prudent. It was shocking to see Taylor being out of control with his sneering comments….If the last debate with Lott had been a duel, Taylor would have shot him before the Second had sounded the Ready.

8. October 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Give me some time I cant wait to write about Tegerdine…

9. Dontreadonme permalink
    October 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Poor Palazzo, He made a comment to the Hattiesburg American saying “He has been the only quality Republican candidate to run against Gene Taylor. McCay, Lott, and Dollar were all quality candidates. I hate to say it, but I think he put his foot in his mouth on this one. Pine Belt republicans are stewing over this arragant stance. If I were Palazzo, I would put it on the line in the debate.

10. Capt Warren permalink
    October 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Miss the debate because Taylor might get ugly? Good God people, if he can’t take the heat here, what will he do in DC? Fold like a cheap suit.

Not looking too good. Do I want either of these folks to win?