Skip to content

Obama At 47 Percent In Mississippi?

February 24, 2011
tags: Barack Obama, polling
by Brett

According to an annual Gallup poll from 2010, Barack Obama has a fairly solid 47 percent approval rating in Mississippi. A year ago that number was actually at 52 percent. The only other statewide Mississippi polling we have seen on Obama was from Rasmussen last summer and it gave Obama a 37/60 approval to disapproval rating. According to independent polling from the First District last fall, Obama had a 35/63 rating in the district (which is slightly more Republican than the state as a whole). Two years ago, Obama won about 43 percent of the vote in what has to be about the highest numbers you can expect for a Democrat in the state.

Gallup, though, was all over the place. Mississippi, interestingly, gave Obama his highest approval from states he did not win and even had a higher rating than states Obama carried including Nevada, North Carolina, Virginia, Maine, Pennsylvania, Florida, Colorado, and New Hampshire. So is Obama going to write off New Hampshire or Colorado and campaign in Mississippi? Not likely on any fronts.

As far as neighboring states go, Obama is at 39 in Arkansas, 41 in Tennessee and Alabama, and 43 in Louisiana.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. rubradog permalink
    February 24, 2011 11:27 am

    There is no way this is right. Obama is solid with the black population (about 39%) and the trial lawyers/college profs/union organizers (about 3%). Total 42%, so only if the margin of error is 5% and they skewed it to the end of that could you come up with Obama being that popular in Mississippi.

  2. February 24, 2011 3:08 pm

    Good look at the data from Nate Silver: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/is-mississippi-the-new-new-hampshire/

  3. catty permalink
    February 24, 2011 6:41 pm

    Having been asked a survey question by Gallup before I can tell you not to ever, ever trust any statistics they produce as the questions are so biased and slanted to the Liberal political view it makes answering the question a waste of time. These folks have not been right in any of the Presidential elections…or haven’t you noticed? I say it is very much lower because if you are listening to focus groups and watching other stats, many previous BO supporters have caught on and disserted that sinking ship. While the whole world is in crisis he debates gay marriage? DUH? .I suspect he may end up having a nervious breakdown before it is all over since he clearly must recognize he is in way, way over his head in this job.

  4. February 25, 2011 8:44 am

    And here’s a good look from Jay Cost at The Weekly Standard: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/mississippi-not-new-new-hampshire_552480.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <pre> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>