Comment From Kent Alexander

March 5, 2011
tags: Kent Alexander, redistricting

Kent Alexander, a Republican candidate for HD 93 looking to challenge Rep. Dirk Dedeaux, was one of at least a handful of Republican challengers moved out of their home district under the Democratic House plan that is on its way to the Senate. Here is a comment from Alexander:

“I would like it mentioned that the same fate that happened with Jay Mathis and Chip Wood has occurred in my race. I have lived in District 93 for 20 years, with Dirk Dedeaux being my Representative for 16 of those years. I have been campaigning since January 2010 for this seat and made my intent clear that I was running by qualifying on January 16th of 2011.

With the unveiling of this politically one-sided map, it shows that I am no longer a resident of District 93, but instead residing in District 116. As we all know, District 116 is held by Republican Casey Eure, who just was elected on February 1 to replace Congressman Steven Palazzo. I am running to replace Dedeaux, because he has poorly represented me and District 93 for so long. I am not running to challenge a longtime friend and freshman Representative Eure.

I am hearing more stories across the state where a Republican challenger is being cut out of their district to be thrown into a district currently held by a Republican. It’s not just an issue with one or two races, but there are multiple cases (at least 5) that I know of so far.”

1. Dan Ellzey permalink
    March 5, 2011 12:23 pm

I have not heard of one Democrat challenger to a Republican incumbent being “redistricted” out of the district in which they were planning to challenge the incumbent. Have there been any?

2. Republican Dawg permalink
    March 5, 2011 12:41 pm

I would say no. If any where they haven’t spoke out. But there honestly weren’t many Democratic challengers to Republicans anyway.

But I would love to hear Dirk or Harvery or any of those guys (possibly Reynolds) explain why the cities need to split up and how this is a mere coincidence. Would also love to see some coverage in the CL (I’ll keep waiting).

3. TheSilenceIsConsent permalink
    March 5, 2011 3:39 pm

Despicable!…Oh, right, it is typical work of democrats!

4. Frank permalink
    March 5, 2011 3:45 pm

If this holds up I was just moved from HD6 into HD52 presently held bt Tommy Woods(R) Representative Woods voted for this plan, he said it wasn’t that bad. I’m now looking for someone to oppose him in the Republican primary.

• marmie permalink
      March 6, 2011 1:48 pm

Tommy Woods voted for this plan because it was good for HIM. He didn’t want to run against Kevin Buck of Holly Springs. Frank I hope you find a good candidte soon. Self serving Woods is a disgrace.

• March 6, 2011 4:30 pm

This map was good for most incumbent Republicans. That was the genius behind the plan. Make the incumbents happy but leave no room for other Republicans to pick up. And that is why the Dems thought this would get 100 plus votes for it. They obviously didn’t, and i think that has really helped lead the conservative push to block this in the Senate.

5. Mark Ladner permalink
    March 10, 2011 7:13 pm

I’m enjoying the show. I realize it’s only fair when you’re shafting someone else, but you lost the moral authority in the last election. Palazzo is still an idiot. You all backed a loser.