Two Palazzo Staffers Resign

March 31, 2011
tags: Congress, Michael Janus, Steven Palazzo

Yesterday, Rep. Steven Palazzo announced that two members of his Congressional staff have resigned. This includes Erskine Wells, chief of staff to Palazzo, and Jonathan Stamford, who served as communications director. The only reasoning given was to pursue other interests.

In a statement, Palazzo had nothing but good things to say about the two men and wished them the best of luck in the future.

Michael Janus, who is the D’Iberville city manager, will be taking a leave of absence from that job to temporarily work as chief of staff to Palazzo.

Statement from Palazzo: “Michael has been a close friend of my family for years. His experience in the state legislature, managing an international business and his position with the City of D’Ibervile makes him well suited for the demands of chief of staff. Through his long career of service to South Mississippi, he understands our issues and shares our values. He will be a tremendous benefit to my office and the constituents of South Mississippi. I welcome him to our team.”

Statement from Janus: “Congressman Palazzo has offered me an incredible opportunity to continue my public service by serving the constituents of the 4th Congressional District. I am honored that he has asked me to do so and look forward to working with him and the talented and professional staff already on board. My background as a legislator and a city administrator has prepared me for this role. I appreciate the Mayor and Board of Alderman for allowing me to take a leave of absence and work for all South Mississippians.”

1. Travis permalink
    March 31, 2011 11:21 am

An early version of this story from Sun Herald mentioned a Hunter Lipscomb leaving.

• Chet permalink
      April 1, 2011 9:12 am

Trying to live on their salary in Washington would put me in the road…I figure three months they realized they could not find housing and would just quit and go home,

• Chester permalink
        April 6, 2011 11:44 am

Chet, Chiefs of Staff generally make between $90K and $135k…I make a whole lot less than that for a family of three and I live in DC just fine.
        Communications directors make a more meager salary but it is still $50K and above.

2. JonesGOPer permalink
    March 31, 2011 4:11 pm

It’s very simple. Someone close to the staff said Mrs. Palazzo insisted that they be fired (or resign to pursue other options). If “Mama ain’t happy,” nobody is happy. Curious to see if the taxpayers pay their salary beyond March 31. Ol’ Gene is probably laughing pretty hard over this one…

3. Princess Sophia permalink
    March 31, 2011 9:58 pm

I know I’m laughing. I bet there will be even more of these as time passes. Mamma Palazzo is never happy by the way. It may also be that she’s trying to make certain he doesn’t have aids. You never know with her. Stevies voting record so far is exactly what I expected.

• DLSL permalink
      April 1, 2011 3:44 pm

“Never happy”, huh? You must be around her quite a bit to make an assertion like that…

4. 912er permalink
    March 31, 2011 10:13 pm

Way to get in the headlines, Congressman!

5. Crusader permalink
    April 1, 2011 2:22 am

Thank you Steven for standing strong to these Tegerdine freaks. Your voting record is perfect for South Mississippi. And honestly if you fired those dudes I’m okay because now you have a complete staff of Mississippians.

We hired you because you are conservative, veteran, small business owner and South Mississippian. Thank you!

6. Arn-D'Iberville permalink
    April 1, 2011 8:59 am

Interesting. Sounds as if lady Palazzo runs the show here. Its such a shame, because I voted for him, not his wife! Sad these people have to suffer for there incompetence. GT 2012?

7. Princess Sophia permalink
    April 1, 2011 9:15 am

Crusader you might want to take a look at his voting record. He’s not even good to his fellow veterans. Are those who left northern Mississippians thereby making them yankees or something?
    I know this may come as a surprise to you, but Tegerdine was last year and he’s not running again. You remind me of an armadillo intellectually speaking.

I suspect that anyone with principles, a knowledge of the constitution and not from your little burb is a freak to you.