Brad White Endorses Lucien Smith

May 18, 2011
tags: 2011 Treasurer, Brad White, Lucien Smith

Lucien Smith, one of three Republicans running for the open state treasurer’s position, recently picked up a nice endorsement from former GOP Chairman Brad White; who is now running for Chancery Clerk in Simpson County. Check out the text of the letter below:

View this document on Scribd
  1. dawgatrez permalink
    May 19, 2011 9:34 am

Is Mr. Smith’s only work experience with Haley?

• Ivehadbetter permalink
      May 19, 2011 11:15 am

No, that is just his most recent job.

2. Rankinlawyer permalink
    May 19, 2011 10:36 am

“several years combating government waste….” I would have thought Brad White would be more concerned about his own credibility than to be making such exaggerated statements. White can certainly choose to support any candidate for any number of reasons but he can’t credibly claim Smith should get the nod over either of his opponents based on experience when Smith is by far the least experienced of the three.

3. JustCurious permalink
    May 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Other than a year stint as a staff attorney for Haley, what job has he had?

4. lawgod permalink
    May 19, 2011 1:16 pm

I’m curious as to just what Mr. Smith’s job was before that….wasn’t he still in college? He says he is now counsel at some law firm. I can imagine how much experience he’s gaining there as he travels the roads nonstop for his campaign. Probably about as much as he got as “budget advisor” in the governors office. These young boys are trying to make a name for themselves (outside of being “Haley’s boys”), and I get all that. However, Mr. White should have learned being Chairman of the Republican Party the importance of putting the right people in the right job. Just because they are your drinking buddies doesn’t make them the right choice. This is more than a big frat party guys! This is the financial state of our livelihoods. Was Mr. White partaking in his cocktails when he made this decision? Only thing I can think of.

5. Geoff permalink
    May 19, 2011 2:55 pm

People “can certainly choose to support any candidate for any number of reasons but” it looks bad when the way they express it is to criticize Mr. White and Mr. Smith, especially considering Mr. White said nothing negative about either of Mr. Smith’s Republican opponents and to my knowledge, Mr. Smith has not campaigned in a negative way against his opponents. These coments sound a little desperate to me. I think the remedy is to write your own letter and send it out under your own name and say whatever you want. Maybe your letter will get posted here as well.

6. Ivehadbetter permalink
    May 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Mr. Smith was worked for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals before joining the Govs team. You all need to calm down a bit.

If you want to support someone else, then, by all means, do it. But this is beginning to look like a damn Jr High girls classroom. Feel free to lay out a case for your candidate of choice; criticizing someone else’s choice isn’t going to get you anywhere.

You take one substantial lead in fundraising and the trolls get all worked up. Why am I not surprised?

7. Ivehadbetter permalink
    May 19, 2011 7:04 pm

*Pardon the typo

8. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 19, 2011 8:25 pm

I say the treasurers race is a tough choice. Now that i know Mr. Smith is directly resposible for the continues growth in government over the past few years. I will look towards the other candidates.

Now Mr. Smith as a budget advisor, is directly involved in the increase in the amount I pay in Property Taxes this year and the increases in fees and fines.

It will be hard for me to vote for him.

• Ivehadbetter permalink
      May 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Probably hard for you to vote for Yancey as well.

• Justsayin permalink
        May 20, 2011 9:06 am

Donttreadonme: How did you come to that conclusion, when Gov. Barbour’s team balanced the last budget (as mandated by law) the past few years by making a lot of tough- but necessary- cuts in state gov’t?

9. dawgatrez permalink
    May 20, 2011 2:26 am

I’m thinking the endorsement by B white has a paid political smell to it… 30 pieces of silver seems about right

10. Ivehadbetter permalink
    May 20, 2011 9:00 am

Nobody says a word when Greg Harper endorses a preacher, but the world comes unraveled when Brad makes his pick.

Aug 2 can’t get here quick enough.

• lawgod permalink
      May 20, 2011 11:09 am

You are exactly right. Maybe it’s because that was more of a joke than anything else. But to have been chairman of the Republican Party, we would like to think that Mr. White should have known better. Greg Harper….we are going to let him slide on that one.

And I have another question….if Mr. Smith is such a strong, lifelong Republican, why does he have one of the biggest known and blatant Democrats in the State of Mississippi raising half of all his money for him? I say “half” because his father has raised the rest. Lucien is a nice young man, I’m not taking that away from him. But we don’t need nice and inexperienced- RUNNING THE TREASURER’S OFFICE! Do you all realize just how important this job is to our state and our economy?

Lynn Fitch is lightyears beyond all of the candidates in this race with her experience and knowledge. Do these guys have a problem with Women in Power or are they just merely sticking to the “buddy system”? Atta boy! I dare to say Republican Women in this state can make or break an election. Lynn is quite the contender in this treasurer’s race and I’m excited to sit back and watch it all happen. It’s going to be very, very interesting.

11. Dontreadonme permalink
    May 20, 2011 10:00 am

Justsayin: How do you grow government and balance a budget? Increase revenue. How does government increase revenue? increase the amount of money taken from the citizens. The numbers do not lie. The State government has increased over the last two election cycles. The last thing the citizens need is another big spender bankrupting the State pension with bad investments.

12. Rankinlawyer permalink
    May 20, 2011 10:52 am

Let me be clear, I have no problem with White endorsing anyone he wants to endorse for any reason. However, White made an issue of experience. It is not negative politics for me or anyone else to point out that White made an argument that simply cannot stand up to scrutiny.

13. dawgatrez permalink
    May 21, 2011 8:40 am

You can bet a lame duck will show up in that county brad is running in