Friday Afternoon Election Notebook

May 20, 2011
tags: 2011 Governor, 2011 Lt. Governor, 2011 Public Service Commissioner, 2011 State House, 2011 State Senate

A couple notes on the 2011 elections…

** The annual Good Ole Boys cookout in Oxford was yesterday, and as you expect it drew a number of politicians in this election year. Phil Bryant, as seen above with Rep. Alan Nunnelee, has posted a number of pictures from the event in a Facebook album here.

Haven’t thing anything written about this years event online, but here is a story with some background that Patsy Brumfield did last year for the Daily Journal.

** Following the Madison County Journal endorsement of Dave Dennis, his campaign promoted the article and added this update from the campaign: “I want to share this unprecedentedly early endorsement by the Madison County Journal of Dave Dennis. We have the momentum. Since our first television ad went on air Tuesday, your response has been overwhelming. Many of you contributed online and we appreciate that support. Today’s endorsement by the Madison County Journal demonstrates our message is penetrating and that a conservative private sector leader and proven job creator should be Mississippi’s next CEO. Thank you all for your hard work.”

** The “I’m For Phil” message has been a part of Phil Bryant’s gubernatorial campaign, but here is some background on the original button’s dating back to 1991.

** Earlier in the week we mentioned that Sen. Joey Fillingane will be having a large fundraiser on Monday. One of the special guests is Tate Reeves, who said this: “The Pine Belt region is fortunate to have a public servant like Joey Fillingane, and I look forward to attending his event on Monday. If I’m elected Lt. Governor, I will work well with all the Pine Belt public officials on local priorities. We’ve been in the Hattiesburg area often this year and will continue to work hard to earn the support of voters and leaders in the region.”

** Yesterday, Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley picked up the endorsement of the Realtors, one of the key business groups in the state.

** Henry Barbour’s take on redistricting and the GOP’s position for this fall via Twitter: First tweet: “GOP gains more momentum 4 GOP Speaker in MS as Dems lose redistricting effort just as candidate filing deadline of June 1 approaches.” Second tweet: “MS Dems have no candidates for 3 of 8 statewide offices, including LG. Now, Dem House members deciding not 2 run. GOP Speaker is big goal.”

1. Polly Robinson permalink
    May 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Max Phillps, Candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture & Commerce attended the Good Ole Boy Cookout and by the applause and cheers from the crowd, did a fantastic job with his speech! Sounds like he has the vote of alot of people in North Misssissippi! Max Phillips will be a great Commissioner of Agriculture & Commerce for the State of Mississippi!

2. Ron Williams permalink
    May 22, 2011 9:52 pm

I was at the Harrisville event this weekend. It was interesting to hear Phils’ people talk about how he couldn’t make the event becausew he was helping the flood victims. He didn’t have any trouble leaving the flood and tornado victims to asttend the good ole’ boys rally.

I wonder if that’s because the Good Ole’ Boys representented a lot more money than the folks at harrisville?

3. Steve Wilson permalink
    May 23, 2011 8:55 am

Polly,
    Did Max happen to tell the group he currently collects disability? Just wondering.

4. H Tea permalink
    May 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Ya know Steve, you’re right. I’ve seen Max speak and he didn’t mention any disability. On the other hand, I’ve also seen Cindy Hyde-Smith (love how she calls herself Jekyll and Hyde, great nickname for someone who switched parties after 2010 elections btw) speak. I’ve yet to hear her discuss her role in beef plant Billy’s scandal…

5. Steve Wilson permalink
    May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

H Tea,
    I have to agree with you, I just can’t see myself voting for someone that has been on disability for sometime now (10 years I think). Seems like if he was out working the campaign trail that he would give up the disability check(s) because that would be the right thing to do.

As for the party switching of Hyde Smith, I’m glad to see her in the GOP, like Jim Herrin once said, “the doors of the church are always open.”

I think as Republicans we need someone that will represent us in the upmost manner, not someone that is standing at the mailbox waiting on a government check at the end of every month.

6. Frank permalink
    May 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I’m not against anyone in the Agriculture and Commerce Commissioner race, I’m for Dannie Reed a conservative with all the crenditals, experience and qualifications.