Weekend Election Notebook

July 2, 2011
tags: 2011 Governor, 2011 Lt. Governor, 2011 Treasurer

As you are enjoying you’re 4th of July weekend, here are a couple notes on the 2011 elections…

** Lee Yancey had receptions with Rep. Gregg Harper in Madison and Columbus this week. You can view photos from those events here and here.

** The Sun Herald did an analysis of donations to the Tate Reeves campaign earlier this week which showed that “dozens of lawyers and executives from a handful of firms that make money from government borrowing through legal, consultant and other fees on borrowing have contributed more than $400,000 to Reeves’ campaign war chest during his two terms as treasurer.”

Read the full story here.

** Billy Hewes released a new ad yesterday called ‘The Force.’ You can view it here.

He said this about the ad: “This Fourth of July weekend we pay tribute to those who have given of themselves for our freedom. We include those Mississippians that work every day to create the ships, helicopters, military drones and other equipment that make the United States Military the mightiest force on Earth. I am proud to have sponsored legislation in the Mississippi State Senate to bring these projects and jobs to Mississippi. I am proud to have a role in keeping these jobs in our great state.”

** Lucien Smith will be having a ‘Young Leaders for Lucien’ reception in Jackson on Thursday. You can view the invitation here.

** Phil Bryant has an event with Alan Nunnelee in Hernando last night.

** Bill Luckett received an endorsement from the Mississippi State Council of Machinists. I imagine this is a coalition of local Machinists union chapters throughout the state; though Luckett makes no mention of the word union in the press release.

1. Ron Williams permalink
    July 2, 2011 8:28 pm

I don’t know about you, but these relationships between those who contribute and those who get contracts, make me wonder.

July 2, 2011 10:47 pm

Please give specifics Ron. Inquiring minds want to know. How bout some very specific instances of contributions equating to contracts. We want to know these details with facts backing up your claims.

• Ron Williams permalink
        July 3, 2011 6:13 pm

Perfect example. Henley Lee has a gfundraiser for Phil Bryant and gets a no-bid contract to clean tornado damage shortly thereafter.

George Malvaney of USES is a contributor to Phils Fundraisers and the DEQ pays almost 40% more than they should to buy boats from USES. DId I tell you that USES has never been a boat dealer and that ever since they hired Mr. Malvaney ( contributor to Phil ) they have been awarded a no-bid contract with MSDEQ. This was covered in the Mississippi Press

There are plenty more examples of what I’m talking about. I have to be clear here, I have nothing to gain from this election. I have spent more than I will make as governor in 4 years. But if someone does not stop this good ole boy system, only the politically connected will prosper in our State. My chidren and your children should not have to buy economic opportunity from some corrupt politician or agency. Am I perfect no, but I have never stolen from you either directly or through corrupt government practices, and I will not.

I will demand thaqt agencies under my authority, use open fair market, competitive bid processes to award State contracts. This will save taxpayers money and reduce corruption.

• Ron Williams permalink
        July 3, 2011 7:13 pm

You Know Rat,

I’m waiting on the results of the inquiry into our last round of comments. I am beginning to think, and I look forward to finding out, that you are either an elected official who participates in the G.O.B. system or one who benefits from it. That would be the only explanation for your attacks on me. I have not done anything to you, unless it is to shed light on something you might be involved in.

Once and for all, what is your beef with me?

July 3, 2011 9:18 pm

No beef Ron. Just exposing the real Ron. More to come, too. I’m gonna reply back to the above comment, too. But am gonna ask around and gather some facts and info. I know who USES is from the oil spill. We provided them some auxiliary support services. Gonna do some fact-finding. Also gotta look into Henley Lee, too. Can you provide me a few specific facts on all this. When were contracts let, $$$ amount involved, which tornadoes, etc? May take me a few days to ask around but I will work on it. Please give me more facts and less innuendo Ron.

• Ron Williams permalink
            July 3, 2011 9:32 pm

Check on this too. Sam Haskell ( Miss America ) gave $ 15,000.oo to Phil’s Campaign and then Phil decides to give 13 million of the 16 million dollars set aside for the gulf coast tourist trade to rebuild, to the Miss America Pageant. In all honesty, I don’t know if this was accomplished or was stopped by others.

This came directly from Phil. Despite the fact that Miss America is tanking as an event with viewership down substantially.

Just for grins and giggles what is the ” Real Ron “? Are you talking about the largest single contributor to BAcot McCArty or the Largest single contributor to Hope House ministries, or maybe the guy who has bought houses for people who needed homes. You talk about innuendo, man up, give us specifics.

• Ron Williams permalink
            July 3, 2011 9:36 pm

I will be happy to give you more detail. 228-990-4564

July 2, 2011 11:23 pm

Please give us detailed facts including the specific contract and specifically who it was awarded to. Also the specific amount of their contribution, dates of contributions and date of contract being awarded. And exactly who they contributed to. The detailed facts are all we want. Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Dontreadonme permalink
    July 3, 2011 12:59 pm

Bad Tate, Bad Tate! This article reveals very dirty deeds by Tate Reeves. Tate is a watchdog, for his rich cronnies defending them from we the common people that can bairly afford to put food on the table for our children.
    Coast, I’ve read many of your post on many blog sites. I never would expect you to support such cronyism.

3. Adam permalink
    July 3, 2011 1:24 pm

I think Ron is talking about the Sun Herald article in the ad. Click the link and you’ll see the specifics. I agree with Ron here. Tate’s donations and lending have help me decide to support Billy Hewes.

July 3, 2011 9:42 pm

I’m addressing Ron’s allegations referenced on his web site, blogs and comments he has made in speaking engagements. I’m not isolating my reference to the Sun Herald article. Ron tends to “shoot from the hip” without supporting facts. I’m asking him to step out here and provide us with solid facts to back up his allegations. It’s one thing for us average, everyday bloggers to throw out our opinions without giving factual details to support our beliefs. But it’s totally different when a candidate for public office routinely throws out allegations without being able to support them with solid facts. If you read his responses today he continues to throw out allegations but no facts to back them up. Although he is now giving a few details which make it a bit easier to check out. I’m hoping Ron will come back with solid data to support his allegations. But so far he has only produced weak, unsubstantiated allegations. As referenced above, this is ok for me, you, Dontreaonme or other average bloggers. But when you are running for public office I contend that we need to challenge claims made by candidates. I am a major proponent of transparency and honesty in our electoral process. If Dave or Phil were making the allegations Ron makes they would get called down on them by the press. But Ron is not considered a real candidate by the voters or press. Thus his comments are not considered newsworthy. Therefore, he gets a free-ride from the press. And you see his reactions when he is confronted. Ron immediately gets very confrontational and attempts to intimidate and bully anyone who challenges him. He avoids fact-based debates and shys away from transparency. After all, this is the guy who fired his entire work staff when one worker filed a complaint against him. And he now wants to be Governor? Not on my watch guys. If the press won’t confront him because he isn’t considered newsworthy then I dang sure will. Transparency is a wonderful part of our electoral process. And that is what I an doing.

July 3, 2011 9:46 pm

I’m with you, Adam, go Billy!

4. Dontreadonme permalink
    July 3, 2011 10:02 pm

Coast,
    Many of us on this blogg avoid giving details, so we don’t out our sources. The old saying is the Devils in the details. That is true. Esspeically when your exposing a crupt bargin. The Devil wants to know who the leak is. Everyone knows Haley Barbour extended a no-bid contract to his neice-in-law to maintain the FEMA trailer parks after Katrina. She was no more qualified to set up and maintain those trailers as the man in the moon. Which exsposed all the crupt barginning going on after the Hurricane. Why not allow multipule companies to bid?

July 3, 2011 10:11 pm

I’m not arguing against your beliefs. You make valid points that are reasonabke I’m asking a candidate for our states highest office to give us facts. Is that too much to ask? When Ron filed is papers to run for governor he set himself on a pedestal different from your I. His personal life can now be scrutinized and the allegations he makes will be challenged. It is just part of our electoral process to ask him to back up his allegations. It’s fine for you or I to throw out our opinions on a blog site. But a candidate or public office must be held to a higher standard.

5. Ron Williams permalink
    July 3, 2011 10:27 pm

Rat,
    You don’t care if I’m a candidate or not. I don’t know if you’re a former employee or an elected official who I have shed some light on. It’s obvious that you have a personal rub against me.I don’t know why and I have offered my phone # for you to call.

Once again, this has been fun. I’ve gotta get ready for a solid week of campaigning. You guys keep up the good work.

July 3, 2011 10:32 pm

Have a good 4th guys. Despite all our differences and conflicting opinions, the far greater bulk of us on this site vote R. And that is wats important. Please keep up the debates and offering opinions. Happy Independence Day to all on this site!

6. Ron Williams permalink
    July 3, 2011 10:38 pm

Hey Rat,

one more thing. Why don’t you contact Phil Bryant and do some research. Ask him about USES and the boats that were sold to MSDEQ. Or ask him who Henley Lee is. Or ask supertalk radio manager Steve Davenport if the $6,000.00 plus dollars he has raised for Phil is in anyway related to the no-bid contract for Public service announcements that Supertalk has. Do your research.

You seem concerned about holding me accountable and I’m not an elected official. You almost seem protective of the status quo. Makes me wonder.

Anyhow, since we are in agreement that more research into these issues is needed, I guess I can count on your support in August.

Thanks
    Ron

July 3, 2011 10:47 pm

Ron, tomorrow is Independence Day. One of our country’s greatest celebrations. Why don’t we end the banter and focus on celebrating the 4th with our families. Here’s to Deer Island trout fishn in the morn with my son and family BBQ in the afternoon. Hoping you and your family enjoy the 4th Ron.

7. Ron Williams permalink
    July 3, 2011 11:19 pm

I’m with you my friend. Happy 4th

July 5, 2011 6:49 am

Ok Ron let’s get back to business. I’m gonna do a bit of research on A few issues you that you make multiple reference to. I have some friends at DEQ so I have a good starting point to check out your claims on USES and Malvaney. We did some support work for USES on the oil spill so I actually have contacts there. Of course I can always file a Freedom Of Information Request and get all this info and have the facts to back it up. I suppose you have done this since you throw these allegations around so freely? But for now I will make a few calls and see what I can find out. Now please provide me a bit more info on Henley Lee’s no-bid contract that he (his company I assume) received to clean up tornado damage. Please give me a company name and the specific tornado involved. Also other facts that would help shed some light would be helpful. I promise you that I will take some time this week to find out a bit more info. I will report back when I have gathered some info.

• Ron Williams permalink
        July 6, 2011 12:44 am

Rat,

Go to the Mississippi Press archives and look up the story on the MSDEQ purchasing boats from USES. The ask how long USES has been a boat retailer. Then ask how long USES has had the no-bid emergency response contract with deq/ Then ask how long Malvaney has worked for USES. Then ask who he worked for before that. ( cmac ) and then ask how long they had the no-bid contract with deq. Then ask when Malvaney left the DEQ to go to work for the contractor.

Now why is this important to voters. Here’s why. On many an occasion, Mississippians have been stuck on the interstate while waiting for contractor cleanup crews ( USES or CMAC ) to come from out of State to clean up truck wrecks. Mississippians had to wait ( many elderly on Hot summer days ) not because there was no one in state to do the work but because DEQ gave no-bids, to their former employee.

I notified Phil about this practice years ago. Nothing was ever done about it. Of course, when I saw Malvaneys’ name on a Phil Fundraiser invitation, I understood why nothing was ever done to seek out better service for Mississippi Tax payers.

The DEQ contracting practice was so blatantly restrictive, that Rep. Henry Zuber, actually sponsored legislation to reduce some of the requirements that prevented competition. Though his bill passed, it wasn.t enough to correct the ” good ole boy’ practice of no bid contracts.

July 6, 2011 9:49 am

Thanx for the info. But still stonewalled on finding out much about thus guy Lee. His company name would be helpful along with the specific tornado contract. MEMA indicated that the only significant tornado work this year was Smithville. Your help in pinpointing this issue is appreciated. And will be following up on both issues. You do make some good points that need to be fleshed out.

July 5, 2011 8:26 am

Couple other questions Ron. I read back through your blogs and your web site. I am assuming that USES is the out of state contractor that you constantly reference. But I’m curious who the “large in state contributor” is that “squeezed” you off a project? And I’m assuming this project was a state-funded project?

July 5, 2011 3:37 pm

Def need a little help Ron. I’ve talked with several people at MEMA thru blind calls to their generic phone number. No one knows who Henley Lee is. I will def need a company name if you can provide. I have the names of the MEMA personnel who are heavily involved with the Monre County tornado but have not yet been able to make contact with them. Will def keep trying though.

• Ron Williams permalink
        July 5, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks to sid Salter, It’s good to get recognized. To you Rat, I hope you had a good 4th.

• Ron Williams permalink
        July 5, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey Rat, I got the information I was waiting for today. In your position, you have access to all this information.

8. Travis permalink
    July 5, 2011 7:46 pm

By asking around I found someone who knows “Hensley Lee”. He is a contractor out of Picayune. Rumor has it that he owns the pit where all of the dirt for the BILLION dollar project at the Port of Gulfport will, or HAS to be purchased from.

9. Travis permalink
    July 5, 2011 7:47 pm

The pit is actually in Louisiana.

July 5, 2011 10:01 pm

What contract did he receive for tornado work? MEMA indicates the Corps let contracts in Monroe County but didn’t know who Lee was. They said it went to a plumbing contractor out of Amory.

July 5, 2011 10:16 pm

MEMA officials did not know who Lee was but also could not say if he is an owner or not of the plumbing contractor out of Amory.

10. Travis permalink
    July 5, 2011 10:38 pm

I googled “Hensley Lee Phil Bryant” and got several hits. A few connections.

11. Travis permalink
    July 5, 2011 11:08 pm

I wonder if it could be Upchurch plumbing out of Greenwood?

12. OUTOFSTATEoutofmind permalink
    July 6, 2011 1:30 pm

Just for the record – as someone from Brooklyn New York – A quick search on Google could give you some reference point to go from. Rat I think you could do a little more thorough Job at finding the info you seek.

Additionally, I dont think that any of us are under the impression that this kind of stuff does not go on in Mississippi or most other states for that matter.

I say — “wouldn’t it be nice to have someone like Ron Williams in office who could put an end to it or at least go along way to putting an end to it in YOUR state of Mississippi”.

It seems pretty Naive to Discuss exact details of a few instances at this juncture — while I am sure that most would agree this kind of stuff is going on regularly. However, if you must validate these things then by all means please do!

It would seem that you would like to see corruption end on all levels – After learning a little about Ron – I feel confident to say that His platform is SOLID on this issue. Either you agree with his platform or you dont. Hopefully, you want to see this “no bid” corruption end!

To be factual – Ron or any other canidate is required to ASK for your vote — you as a voter, while not required, should at least do the research of whether or not you feel like you can give your vote to said canidate.

That is the political process — Ron as gone out of his way to assist you in finding the information you seek – now it is in your hands… Now, let Ron get back to asking folks for thier vote based on his platform – cause thats his JOB for the time being.

July 6, 2011 4:28 pm

Interesting perspective. And your points are well taken. All I’m asking for is the name of Lee’s company. Some pretty serious allegations have been made here so I feel it’s appropriate to ask for this info. If corruption in either case is indicated I will report my findings. but just a couple more facts to support his claims and a company name s all I’m asking for. So please, if you or anyone else can report his company name it would be helpful. I do have a telephone conference with a MEMA official scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. And I have been working the phones on the USES issue, too. Thanks for your perspective.

July 6, 2011 6:22 pm

One further comment, I’m just a simple Mississippian. Def not up to your level being a New Yorker. So maybe I’m a bit technology challenged and maybe even a bit ignorant by northern standards. But I’m not stupid and I’m definitely not lacking in the persistence category. So bear with me please, I’m just trying to scratch out a few facts on some serious allegations. If you can offer some help to this ole Mississippi boy from your google searches I would appreciate it very much. One thing about us Mississippians, we sure ain’t scared to roll some logs over searching for the truth.

13. Travis permalink
    July 6, 2011 10:20 pm

HRL Contracting or Hensley R. Lee Contracting/ http://www.hrlcontracting.net

14. Travis permalink
    July 6, 2011 10:50 pm

Not sure if you’ve tried http://www.corporationwiki.com, but you just type the names and it will find connections for you.

15. OUTOFSTATEoutofmind permalink
    July 7, 2011 8:45 am

good find Travis! that should do it. Rat has his info and Ron Williams appears to be correct.

16. Coast Rat 4ever permalink
    July 7, 2011 9:02 am

Not so fast outofstate. I don’t know how y’all do things in New York but down here we wanna check out the facts. I now have a company name to start with but now I will make some calls and talk to a few folks. Serious allegations have been made with absolutely no supporting facts. Zero factual evidence has been produced. And now Ron is not only throwing company names out there but he’s also throwing names of individuals out with ZERO evidence of any wrong-doing. So I’m gonna check a few of his allegations out. And if I can validate any of his claims I will report it. I will attempt to gather some facts if I can gather them up. May take me a day or three but I will report back to all. So please bear with our methods down here. We may be just simple ole Mississippians but we tend to not believe everything we hear. Looks like if someone blogs it then y’all simply accept it as the truth, the gospel. But that ain’t how we work down here. I can assure you of that. All I want to do is a little checking things out to try and root out the truth. And it may turn out that ole Ron is absolutely dead-on factual. We shall see…

17. OUTOFSTATEoutofmind permalink
    July 7, 2011 10:02 am

First off — I am Mississippian – born in Gulfport! Second of all wouldnt call my self simple nor did I ever imply that mississippians were — you did with your “yall garsh” passive agressive comments.

Seems to me – You are putting Ron in a catch 22 — Give me more facts you say. If he does you then throw him under the bus for throwing serious allegations.

In my opinion, you dont want to know the truth! I looked up what Travis posted and I was able to to see the names — and Ron was right — In what i was referring to… “all you have to do is look it up!

But again, you dont want to know the truth – at least not from this side of the table it does not appear that way.

You want to find out if it is true — by all means do it! Go now dig! But to sit here and repeat the same things over and over and asking everyone to do the research for you and help you out — only to not do it yourself.

I think everyone has it now — You want everything substantiated. We got it. Go do it. But to continually trash the man who has stated his beliefs — and/or personal experience. Ask him for more information and then accuse him of making accusations everytime he tells you EXACTLY how to find the info you seek. Additionally Travis has provided some great exact links and company names for you and STILL you want to throw everyone under the bus.

Real Nice. Great Southern Hospitality my Fellow Mississippian…

July 7, 2011 10:16 am

Calm down outofstate. No reason to get angry and excited over someone questioning a candidate for governor. Let’s debate this issue rationally and factually. I respect your perspective and would ask others to respect mine. Not that others have to agree with my perspective and I certainly don’t agree with yours. But I do respect your opinions even if I don’t agree. So please allow me to do a bit of research and report back without you getting too emotional and angry. Transparency and the ability to question claims made by candidates for public office are a wonderful part of our electoral process. And that is what is going on here.

18. Ron Williams permalink
    July 7, 2011 11:14 am

hey outofstate

Thanks for the words. I think we all realize that Rat has some kind of personal beef with me.

Lets’ just move on.

This is my last blog, guys. The campaign is getting really active.

Thanks

19. OUTOFSTATEoutofmind permalink
    July 7, 2011 5:55 pm

not emotional or mad at all… sorry I came across that way

20. Travis permalink
    July 7, 2011 9:02 pm

As I understand Lee went to work as a subcontractor under Folk Plumbing, which bypassed a lot of local companies in the Smithville area.

July 7, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m working on this but it’s a bit to put together. Should report back next week.

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. (Log Out)

You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out)