The Battle Over A Hunting License

July 19, 2011

Over the past couple days, Billy Hewes and Tate Reeves have received identical A ratings from the NRA. It looks like the gun lobby is holding off making an endorsement until after the primary.

In touting his grading, the Hewes camp said this about his credentials compared to Reeves: “It is unfortunate that our opponent would take a Second Amendment stance for political show. He only got a hunting license back in February after he qualified to run for Lt. Governor. When a guy doesn’t sign up for a hunting license until he’s running for office, it’s obvious that all he’s hunting for is votes. Mississippi gun owners and hunters deserve more respect than that.”

The Reeves campaign fired back, according to a Crawdaddy blog post, stating that the state treasurer first got a license 20 years ago while showing licenses from 2001-04.

Reeves also had this message for Hewes: “Billy, I’d love to have you duck hunt with the Reeves family at Eagle Lake in December or January when this campaign is over. We’ll see who’s the best shot. I’ll even clean the ducks.”

1. KingMaker permalink
    July 20, 2011 9:06 am

Wow, that’s pretty weak on Hewes part….I own 16 firearms and have not had a hunting lincenses in more than a decade. Hunting just dosen’t appeal to me anymore. I have no issues with anyone who hunts and think that deer hunting especially is an important part of conservation in our state.

I fish and buy fresh and salt water fishing licenses every year.

So because I don’t hunt, I am not a supporter of the 2nd Amendment?

From someone who has been a strong supporter of Hewes for Guv Lt…..you’re losing me Billy.

2. Frank permalink
    July 20, 2011 9:59 am

I hunt and I own and collect firearms. I posess firearms for protection of my home and family. I also believe I have a responsibility to “KEEP and BEAR ARMS”. I have friends who don’t and never have hunted and they belong to the NRA and or the GOA. The SECOND AMENDMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING OR SPORT SHOOTING. Anyone who believes that if you don’t hunt you don’t support the SECOND AMENDMENT doesn’t understand the SECOND AMENDMENT. This inane comment doesnt’t change my vote, I was going to vote for Tate anyway.

3. listenupms permalink
    July 20, 2011 10:40 am

The point with this and with the other announcements is not just the hunting licesnse – its that you can’t just look at an endorsement. You have to look at the voting record. Hewes has a 100% positive voting record on right to life and NRA/2nd amendment rights issues. Tate – never VOTED! anyone can say they are prolife or for gun control. its something totally different to actually have a proven record. I hope people see the point in this which is that we MUST look at actual actions not just words. It does not mean that Reeves does not support 2nd amendment or right to life – just that Hewes has proven it!!!

4. listenupms permalink
    July 20, 2011 10:41 am

Kingmaker – I would encourage you to go to Billy Hewes website or facebook page and read the entire announcements re NRA and RIght to Life to see the actual releases – not the MIM blurbs.

• KingMaker permalink
      July 20, 2011 11:01 am

I can call Billy myself, known him for 20 years. Probably going to do that this week, becoming very disappointed with the attack ads from both sides. Will likely put in a call to Reeves too.

• listenupms permalink
        July 20, 2011 1:40 pm

glad to hear that KingMaker! I love to hear people engaged and giving their opinions. I also think you will be happy with Billy’s new issues agenda he has released today. Had a press conference this am to release his legislative agenda and talk issues! yeah – finally!!!

5. Dontreadonme permalink
    July 20, 2011 10:50 am

I only hunt for meat, cause i’m hungry. Why should I have to pay the king?

6. Wouldntyouliketoknow permalink
    July 20, 2011 12:45 pm

listenupms: While I agree with your point that actions speak louder than words, I think that holds true to two side of this announcement. Yes, we need to look at these mens actions in regards to gun rights, not just what they say they believe.
    However, on the other side of that statement is the fact that Billy Hewes took action to make an issue of hunting licenses. More importantly, he stated as a fact that Tate got a license just to support the idea that he’s pro-gun for this election, which is clearly not true. Actions do speak louder than words, and in this case I have a hard time overlooking Billy’s actions and his words.

7. listenupms permalink
    July 20, 2011 1:38 pm

I think we also need to look at who has a comprehensive plan for the legislature, who has shown us who he intends to select as key chairs, etc. Billy has done all of those things, and Tate none. BIlly is talking issues pointedly – Tate is not. – What is Tate’s plan?

Tate will not debate or even discuss issues with Billy. WLBT has a debate scheduled with all 7 governor candidates, and Phil’s way ahead of everyone else. But he understands its the right thing to do!

Why does Tate rob the public of this right – its just not in the best interest of the people! it might be in Tates best interest, but if that is all he cares about then i don’t know why anyone would stand behind him! Who does Tate really care about – the people or himself? if its the people then give me one reason he will not debate?

8. Wouldntyouliketoknow permalink
    July 20, 2011 2:29 pm

I understand that you’re trying to take the heat off the fact that Billy blatantly lied in his press release by changing the subject, but at some point Hewes and his supporters need to be able to admit that Billy did wrong. Until he’s willingly to do that I could careless about whether these two men debate or not. If Hewes doesn’t have a problem making stuff up in a press release then why should I give any substance to the things he’d say in a debate. I may not understand in depth all the issues or both men’s stance on them, but I’m working on it. However, I can definitely understand right from wrong. I may not vote for Tate, but until Billy takes a higher ground than the one he’s on now I know I won’t be voting for him.

9. Frank permalink
    July 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Like “KingMaker” I’m very disappointed in the campaign for Lt. Gov. It’s become a contest that would make the democrats proud, name calling, innuendo, and just now “iistenupms” says Tate is robbing Mississippians of a right because he won’t follow Hewes lead in naming Senators to committees before the election, which at the least at this stage of the process would be presumptive and very possibly illegal.Not to mention quoting bill minor editorials. We all know that liberal democrat bill has the best intrest of the Republican party and conservatives at heart. Also not to mention the photo of Tate and mike moore at some kind of social function we’re to believe there’s not that much difference and accepting $10,000.00 from a very liberal democrat? I really can’t think of anything at this point I could hear from Hewes, his campaign, or his supporters that could cause me to change my vote, they have lost credibility.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )