Dennis Plans To Be More Aggressive

July 20, 2011

As the campaigns hit the final two-week push, Dave Dennis told the Clarion-Ledger that he plans to “take more jabs” at Phil Bryant, the frontrunner but don’t look for the Coast businessman to come out swinging.

Dennis said he will point out areas in which he believes that Bryant has not served the state well, and he will beef up his messaging with new ads in the coming days.

About his campaign, Dennis said he has always seen himself as the underdog, but he has seen a “strong groundswell” and said voters in the state are looking for an alternative to Bryant.

1. Eric permalink
    July 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Good luck with that.

2. Louise Rosser permalink
    July 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Someone needs to tell us about all the stimulus funding that has gone to Americorp!

3. Matt permalink
    July 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I’ve been waiting to see when Dennis would start giving voters a reason not to vote for Bryant. Going negative can work, but the question is whether it is too late. For a while it has seemed as if Dennis was operating under the assumption that Bryant has this thing won, and that this was more an exercise for Dennis to increase his statewide name ID for some future political run or activity. Voters often don’t realize that, in private, otherwise “serious” candidates often know that they can’t win a race long before election day, which is where I suspect Dennis and his team might be. So I suspect that as indicated they will spend some time in the next two weeks drawing contrasts between him and Bryant just so the Dennis campaign looks somewhat respectable and that they are “trying” to win – but they won’t go dirty against Bryant because in the end they know he is the likely next governor.

4. Chrisman permalink
    July 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Dennis will lose Harrison County. You heard it here first.

5. Coast Rat 4ever permalink
    July 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I agree with both Matt and Chrisman. The die has pretty much been cast in the Gov’s race. I can’t see Dave really goin bad negative at this point and this late in the race. If he was gonna do it then he is a month or more late. Phil’s independent polling is showing him in the mid-60s and Dave a very distant second in the mid-teens. And Dave (my man) knows this all too well. Ron and Hudson sound much like one another other than Hudson def has a more stable and professional demeanor to him. So they will scrap for third place just so they can say they weren’t dead last. But folks we are just 13 days till the finish line. If we had a very close race goin I would say Dave might really go negative. But the hand-writing is clear, Phil in a landslide and Dave ain’t no dummy. He doesn’t want to upset the R establishment at this point and risk harming Phil in the general election. And what’s ironic is ole Ron is really slamming Phil and obviously bad worried about what a Phil victory might bring for him…and he is the one sucking votes away from Dave and is, therefore, actually helping Phil to avoid a runoff where he may be vulnerable. But hey, that politics.

It’s Phil in a major landslide with no primary. You heard it here first.

6. Dontreadonme permalink
    July 20, 2011 9:55 pm

You all are right! No one has attacked flip flop phil for the flip flops. Ron has been the only one in the race that has stood up to ole flipper, but he has focused on the corruption. So, that usually galvanizes the ones that have been benefited by the corruption. It also gives democrats ammunition. I would not count my voters before they vote. Hudson Holiday will be second. A run off depends on how hard Dennis hits the filpper.

• chrisman permalink
      July 20, 2011 10:26 pm

It worked out pretty well for Charlie Ross.

• Coast Rat 4ever permalink
      July 21, 2011 6:07 am

12 days and counting Tread. Hudson has to really get hs name out there to come in 2nd and must REALLY get his name out there to force a runoff. I just don’t see either happening, but I’ve been wrong before. Ive never met the General but he does seem like an honorable man, but that doesnt necessarily translate into votes. Name recognition in a statewide race is critical. And right now only Phil has real significant name recognition. That is why $$$ are so important in a statewide race. And I mean lots of $$$. And Phil has the bucks and enormous momentum. This DOES translate into votes. But I do think Phil could be vulnerable in a runoff scenario.

I’m taking odds, my man Dave taking the number 2 slot, but still no cigar since Phil will take greater than 50%. After all, Phil has ole Ron out there helping him get elected governor. Ron is spending bucket-loads of $$$ that take non-traditional R votes away from both Dave and Hudson. Then bulk of these non-traditional R votes would not have gone to Phil in any circumstance. Thus Ron is dividing up the anti-Phil vote and is actually helping Phil avoid a runoff and all the while pushing Phil into the Gov’s Mansion. The great irony here is that Ron despises Phil but is helping to insure he becomes Governor of Mississippi.

7. Dontreadonme permalink
    July 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Coast, I agree with most of your analysis. I just believe Dennis is the only candidate that can erode traditional established republican votes from Bryant. I just don’t see the traditional established diehard republican voting for the other candidates.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )