Endorsements & Recommendations From Mississippi Right to Life

July 21, 2011

Mississippi Right to Life sent out their July newsletter with endorsements, recommendations, questionnaire responses, and exceptions permitted by the candidate. First, this list is yet to be completed. It was updated as of July 20, but responses appear to still be coming in; and you will notice many were missing. Another newsletter, with additional information, is set to be released before the primary, and they will continue to add information leading to the November general election.

Here is an explanation of endorsements versus recommendations from MSRTL: “Although there is a more complicated explanation, the simple one is that an incumbent with a 100% voting record (of the bills we scored) and a100% questionnaire will get an endorsement. If the incumbent has 100% on either one but not on the other, they can get a recommendation. For the non-incumbent with 100% on the questions they can get a recommendation. These rules went into effect four years ago after that election when the PAC wanted to have a way to show more diverse information. MSRTL PAC will make more endorsements and recommendations, so because your candidate’s name is not listed, it does not mean they won’t get an endorsement or recommendation.”

For statewide offices, MSRTL endorsed Phil Bryant, Delbert Hosemann, and Stacey Pickering. They have offered recommendations for Billy Hewes, Tate Reeves, Lucien Smith, and Lee Yancey. There has been no response from Lynn Fitch yet. We also haven’t seen anything from Jim Hood or Steve Simpson.

As for grades, Phil Bryant and Dave Dennis took the MSRTL position on all 14 questions, and make exception for life of the mother only. Johnny DuPree makes exception for life of mother, incest, and rape, and took the MSRTL position on 12 of the questions. Bill Luckett has yet to send in his response.

Here is the full list of statewide and legislative candidates:

View this document on Scribd
  1. listenupms permalink
    July 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Why then did Billy Hewes not get an endorsement? He has 100% on both? Disappointing that Right to Life didn’t give him an endorsement if that is the case – doesn’t sound like they are very loyal to those who support them 100%?!?

2. Clayton permalink
    July 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Because Billy Hewes is not an incumbent.

• listenupms permalink
      July 22, 2011 10:17 am

Clayton – Phil Bryan isn’t either and he received endorsement? If phil is considered an incumbent because he in the Lt Gov position now, why wouldn’t Billy be because he is Senator now who has 100% voting record?

3. Matt permalink
    July 21, 2011 3:03 pm

A lot of pro-life advocacy groups will tell you that “life of the mother” is a misnomer – that if a child dies as an unintended consequence of a life-saving procedure for the mother, it is not considered an abortion. An abortion is by definition elective.

4. Stacy Scott permalink
    July 21, 2011 6:56 pm

I admire everything you all are doing but I find your endorsement of my opponent a personal slam. My wife and I carried a child to term we were told to abort during the first trimester. I held her for the seven minutes she lived. We have seven other children we support. If we had the extra money I promise you we would give it. I know my opponent has donated lots of money and time to the cause. If I had it to give so would I. There is no way my opponent can be more pro-life yet she gets the recommendation. In any other race when the score is tied, it’s is usually called a draw or they are both given medals. Even without your recommendation I want you to know when I get to Jackson in January I will ALWAYS vote pro-life.

5. Jon Rivera permalink
    July 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I find it interesting that the Mississippi Right to Life endorsed Senator Tommy Moffatt, Senate District 52. If you check the record, Senator Moffatt has missed every vote on abortion in the past 8 yrs. If you check closer, Senator Moffatt was available to vote ..
    And He receives an endorsement for THIS !
    Very Curious ….

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,329 other followers