Ross Likely To Run Against Nunnelee

September 7, 2011

We talked about this earlier in the summer, but the Daily Journal has quoted Henry Ross as saying that he is likely to run against Rep. Alan Nunnelee in the GOP primary next spring. Because of the presidential primary, next years primary will take place in March (I believe) compared to June, in 2010.

Last time around, Nunnelee won with about 51 percent in a three person field, just enough to avoid a runoff. Ross, who started with little name recognition or money, finished second in the mid-30s.

Ross has been making the rounds in the district, including a recent meeting at the Kiwanis Club in Tupelo. There he said this about the Budget Control Act, which Nunnelee voted for despite some protest from conservatives: “There are 66 members in Congress willing to do what the people sent them there to do. If we had others like that, we could change this country.” And at Jacinto earlier this year, Ross was passing out documents like this making his case against Nunnelee.

1. Tom permalink
    September 7, 2011 4:18 pm

Ross has run 8 races and won 1. I guess this will be 1 for 9. He is a career politician wanna be :)

2. Rankinlawyer permalink
    September 7, 2011 6:07 pm

We can’t ask for a more genuine conservative than Nunnelee.

3. FreeStater permalink
    September 8, 2011 7:50 am

http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2012/2012pdates.pdfThe Congressional primary is in March according to this document. I believe it is kept that way for incumbent protection.

4. FreeStater permalink
    September 8, 2011 7:51 am

The link is broken in my previous post

• Republican Dawg permalink
      September 8, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for the link. It was the same way in 08, holding both the presidential and congressional primaries at the same time. I’m actually a little surprised other states do have two separate election dates. It makes sense to just have them all at once.

5. Coast Rat 4ever permalink
    September 8, 2011 8:43 am

As far as the 4th District goes I suspect we will have at least two R candidates running against Palazzo. There are two Jackson County names floating around right now that sound like they will run. I’m hearing that one of these, Michael Watson, is a near certainty to run. And the other, a local here in Ocean Springs, is seriously “testing the water” right now. And then there is the back and forth rumors on what Gene will do which include him jumping parties and running as an R. And I’ve heard a few other names of potential R candidates outside of Jackson County and the coast in general. So I do think we will see an active and hotly contested congressional race down here next year. And it is beginning to look like Nunnelee may be facing the same in north Mississippi.

What’s the predictions on potential Harper R opponents?

• hotty toddy permalink
      September 8, 2011 11:27 am

He did not grade out well by the Heritage Foundation

6. Rankinlawyer permalink
    September 8, 2011 2:22 pm

Anybody who ran against Harper would struggle to top 10 percent

• hotty toddy permalink
      September 8, 2011 3:35 pm

Like in everything else, it’s all in the money

7. jason permalink
    September 8, 2011 10:20 pm

A man with Henry’s ability should not be wasting his time running for Congress. He should be in Iowa and New Hampshire laying out his plans for being president. His chances of getting elected president are about as good as his chances of defeating Nunnelee, If anyone looked closely at Henry’s record as mayor, the only election that he ever won, they would find that his record doesn’t correspond with his rhetoric. City government spending increased, water rates were increased, and I think city taxes were increased. I may be wrong about the taxes, but they most definitely were not cut when he was mayor. He also convinced the board of aldermen to pass a very restrictive anti-business zoning ordinance. Wisely, just a month after passing the ordinance, and after finding out the restrictive nature of the ordinance, the board rescinded the ordinance. After serving one term as mayor, the voters rewarded him for his working by tossing him from office. He finished third in a four man race.

• Seriousvoter permalink
      September 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Jason, I am not sure who you are but it seems to me that you have a personal vendetta against Ross. I don’t really remember things the same way that you do. In Eupora, the board runs the city not the Mayor. Perhaps Ross got booted because he did not like the way the board was running the town???? The mayor simply has the vote in the event of a tie. As to the number of times he has run for office, to me it shows a man really dedicated to becoming a servant of the people. Anyone really familiar with Mississippi politics knows that if you don’t have the backing of the good ole boy republican party folks it is real hard to win. Ross really interests me.

8. hotty toddy permalink
    September 9, 2011 12:25 am

Harper needs to raise a minimum of 4 to 5 hundred very large or he is vulnerable

9. Grizz permalink
    September 9, 2011 8:25 pm

Heritage Foundation gave nunnelee a 68% rating,as his true voting record since going to D.C. has been 59% WITH pelosi.

• Seriousvoter permalink
      September 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Grizz, Nunnelee tends to go with the flow. Most of the repubs need to go up there as well as the Democrats. We need better representation from Mississippi. I hope Nunnelee retires (thanks to the educated voters in our state) in 2012.

• Grizz permalink
        September 12, 2011 2:33 pm

after all the campaigning against pelosi,one would think nunnelee wouldn’t be voting WITH pelosi 59 % of the time,and have a 68% rating as per Heritage foundation. taking that traitor grover norquist’s saudi muslim money last year to help his campaign was another devious act.one can complain Henry Ross had financial difficulties and had to take a repayable loan from his wife,but in fairness you would have to look at nunnelee too,who had the maximum allowable donation from his entire family & businesses and his employess,so i look at that as a wash–sure hope Mr.Ross can put it together to retire nunnelee before his new congressional retirement kicks in from 2nd. term.

• David permalink
        November 8, 2011 9:32 am

AMEN! He spends a lot of tax dollars to tell us “just how good he is”. TELL HIM BYE IN THE PRIMARIES.

10. jason permalink
    September 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Seriousvoter, are you serious? Saying that the board of aldermen control everything in city government is like saying that the Congress has all the authority and the President serves in a ceremonial role. I know you are in the tank for Ross, but give me a break. As mayor, Ross could veto any action of the board of aldermen that he disagreed with. As mayor, he could and did make proposals to the board. One of those proposals was his restrictive zoning ordinance that was anti-business and anti-private property. It would have given the city government an incredible amount of control over private property. As mayor, Ross submitted proposed budgets to the board and those budgets provided for increases in water rates, and as I stated previously, I believe taxes as well. Ross masquerades as a tea party anti-government, low taxes person, but when he held an elective office, he didn’t govern as one. I have no personal vendetta against Ross. However, I am not going to let him get by with pretending to be something that he isn’t. He is just another typical career politician, albeit, a very unsuccessful one.

• Seriousvoter permalink
      September 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Jason, Jason, Jason, As you said, he submitted proposals to the board and no he does not have the right to veto. Take a lesson in government. Look at the type of local government you have in Eupora. As I said I remember things much differently than you do. I remember the board being very negative to the proposals that Ross submitted and fighting him every step of the way and passing things that Ross was very against – tax increases for one. There was an increase in the water rates but it was at the suggestion of the state and the board made those increases. Ross did propose that metal buildings (awful things going up in Eupora – one right by the entrance to the city) must have a paved parking lot and non metal facades on the front and sides – I for one liked the legislation but it was recinded by the board because the some of the citizens objected to it.
      I may know more about some of these things than you do – your comments sound like you were on the outside looking in – maybe that is why you have a vendetta goin on. Ha! Too bad – Ross is an interesting character, but I wouldn’t say I am in his tank as you call it. I am also not in Nunnelee’s tank either – are you?

• Grizz permalink
        September 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Seriousvoter,your recollections of events either for,or against Mr.Ross are correct.one seems to forget that in a time of war on terror on many fronts,Mr. Ross,a retired navy Cmndr.,was apointed by G.W.Bush to the Judge advocates office,a position of responsability a tad above being a mayor of a small town.

• Seriousvoter permalink
          September 13, 2011 8:30 am

Grizz, You are so right – thanks for reminding us of that!

• jason permalink
        September 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Mississippi Code Annotated Section 21-3-15 (b) states: “Ordinances adopted by the board of aldermen shall be submitted to the mayor. The mayor shall, within ten (10) days after receiving any ordinance, either approve the ordinance by affixing his signature thereto, or return it to the board of aldermen by delivering it to the municipal clerk together with a written statement setting forth his objections thereto or to any item or part thereof.”

Seriousvoter, I am not sure whether you are intentionally lying or if you are just totally uninformed, but mayors have the right to veto actions of the board of aldermen. You are also uninformed or lying about the zoning ordinance. It was borrowed from the City of Madison and would have cost existing businesses and any new businesses wanting to locate in Eupora,
        huge sums of money. At the time, a number of businesses would have had to close if the board had not rescinded Ross’ zoning ordinance. You are in the tank for Ross and that is fine, but don’t try to lie or mislead people about his record. Ross is a political chameleon and right now a tea partier because that is the flavor of the week. Every time an election season rolls around, he tries to reinvent himself. Except for one time, the voters have seen through his antics.

• Seriousvoter permalink
          September 13, 2011 8:07 am

One more time dear Jason. You are truly on a vendetta, or in Nunnelee’s camp. For a mayor to veto a bill that the board wants passed would create such havoc within the community that unless the bill was a disaster any mayor would be crazy to veto it. Your recollections are very tainted by your hatred of this man. Take it easy but stop calling someone was there and has a different point of view a liar. You have a serious problem my friend.

11. jason permalink
    September 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Seriousvoter, I don’t know what you me when you say that you were “there.” You have admittted in previous posts that taxes and water rates were raised while Ross was mayor of Eupora. If you were “there”, you would know that the mayor can veto actions of the board of aldermen. You would also know that Ross submitted to the board of aldermen, for their approval, budgets that provided for tax increases and increases in water rates. If you were “there”, you would also know that the state did not suggest that water rates in Eupora be raised, and that the state has no control over the water rates in Eupora. Only when I called you out on it, have you now admitted that mayors can veto actions of the board of aldermen. Now that you have admitted that taxes were raised, water rates were raised, and the city budget increased every year that Ross was mayor, and that Ross did nothing to stop these things, you come up with this lame excuse that it would have been a disaster if he had vetoed these things. That is laughable. The irony is not lost on me that you would criticize Nunnelee for taking responsible positions by helping prevent a default of U.S. debts and a shutting down of the government, both of which would be disasters, and yet you defend Ross for not stepping in to prevent yearly budget increases and the raising of taxes and water rates while he was mayor. I have no hatred for Henry Ross and no vendetta. What I hate is hypocrisy and deceit.

12. Seriousvoter permalink
    September 13, 2011 7:11 pm

I was there and my take is totally different from yours. So different that I have to believe that I am now sure that you were not. You would have known about the state recommendation on the water rates if you even lived in Eupora. I am now sure from your comments that you work for Nunnelee. Tell your boy that if he does not change his actions real soon and clean up his voting record that he will not be going back to DC.

• Grizz permalink
      September 13, 2011 8:36 pm

TOO LATE,HE’S FIRED! We cannot afford two more years of patty O’nunnelee

13. jason permalink
    September 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Seriousvoter, almost everything you have said is wrong and your posts are getting to the point of being laughable. You weren’t “there.” As I previously posted, the state does not recommend water rates to the towns, cities, and water associations. That is a blatent lie, and if you were “there”, you know that it is. You are trying to defend a man that raised taxes, water rates, and saw government spending increases every year that he was mayor. I know that it bothers you when the truth is told. Anyone that is bored enough can go read the minutes of the meetings of the mayor and board of aldermen during the time that he was mayor. Also, reading back issues of the Webster Progress Times would be helpful. I don’t work for Nunnelee and barely even know him. Ross has become a laughingstock and is now considered in the same manner as Shawn O’Hara and the late James “Booty” Hunt that was from the same area as Ross, maybe one county over. You would think by now he would be tired of embarrassing himself and his family, and spending his wife’s inheritance. I don’t work for Nunnelee, but I am cetain that he isn’t the least bit concerned about Ross. He will get over 75% of the vote against Ross.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )