Sam Hall Calls On Liberals To Be Pragmatic

September 20, 2011

Sam Hall, who is managing Johnny DuPree’s gubernatorial campaign, recently posted a note on Facebook calling on liberals to be pragmatic this fall, saying that is needed more so than ideology. Hall said he was speaking on behalf of himself and not the campaign.

What we have seen on Facebook and other social networking sites is a group of some vocal liberals who aren’t happy with DuPree or Jim Hood largely centered around their pro-life platforms and their support for the Personhood Amendment in particular. Some have said they will not bother to vote for either candidate.

Here is the note:

As I have mentioned in the past, I think this liberal backlash is more a creation of the Internet than anything else, but it’s obviously not helpful to Democrats who struggle to find a coalition that gives them a majority of the vote in the state. You may remember back in February Gallup released polling on the state that found just 13.8 percent of Mississippians considering themselves liberal, the smallest share in the country. Similarly, 50.5 percent label themselves conservative- the only state in the union to break the 50 percent marker.

1. rubradog permalink
    September 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Sam is trying desperately to give cover to those running for office and trying to pose as a “conservative Democrat,” a creature that is now essestially extinct. Such things did continue to exist as recently as a few months ago but when Jeff Smith changed to the Republican Party the “conservative Democrat,” at least in the Mississippi House, no longer existed. Even if an individual Democrat candidate supports one of the conservative/Republican issues, such as the Personhood Initiative, the overall leadership of the Mississippi Democrat Party, especially that in the legislature, is not just leaning left, it is truly standing left. If the Democrats maintain their majority in the Mississippi House then you can be assured that the Speaker will be a left-standing Democrat and all Republicans will be persona non grata at the Speaker’s office. Rep. John Mayo (D, Clarksdale) recently made the statement that he did not think there would be any Democrats who would not support the party’s candidate for Speaker in the 2012 vote. Anyone who votes to send a Democrat to the legislature is voting for continued support of left-standing leadership there.

2. Republican Dawg permalink
    September 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Sam says he’s not speaking on behalf of DuPree here and I understand that. He basically says Personhood will pass but hopes the courts will block it. I wonder if that is DuPree’s position also. Perhaps DuPree took the politically easy choice of supporting this, like Sam says, knowing it will pass, but hoping it gets blocked so he can have the best of both worlds (appear pro-life, but get pro-life legislation blocked). At least Jim Hood has promised to defend the law in court.

• Sam Hall permalink
      September 20, 2011 8:15 pm

The mayor supports the Personhood Amendment because he is pro-life and believes life begins at conception. Period. No caveats.

• Republican Dawg permalink
        September 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks.

• Concerned Married, Christian, Black Woman permalink
          September 22, 2011 8:33 am

Sam you make a good argument and I’m willing to compromise, however as black woman who’s ancestors had their rights to choose when and if they became parents, this ridiculous “personhood” notion that would interfere with my ability to be responsible, take birth control pills, and delay pregnancy until my husband and I are ready is where I draw the line on my compromise.

This has nothing to do with abortion, but trusting couples to make decisions about contraception. We want children, but not today and under initiative 26, the birth control pills I currently use will be illegal.

• Ron Williams permalink
        September 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Sam,

Let’s get together this week and get me on the campaign trail. I met a lot of conservative, truly honest, voters who are concerned about Phil’s Crony capitalism practices. They agreed with me that when agencies issue no bid contracts to campaign contributors, it is stealing. LIke me, they tell their children, that stealing is wrong, even for politicians.

I didn’t have enough time to get my message to enough voters, but 25,000 votes for a no name candidate with only three months of campaigning, tells me that people of Mississippi want honest leadership for a change.

I know that this is probably professional and social suicide for me, but right is right. You know, we have young men and women dying all over the world to protect of the people, The least I can sacrifice is a little social life.

But Sam, I have to make this clear ” to paraphrase Guiy Dale ” I was born a Republican and I will die a Republican”. Maybe I’ll convert some of you guys for the second term.

Now, lets’ get Johnny elected.
        Call me 228-990-4564

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )