Democratic Senator Opposes Personhood

September 23, 2011

In their quest to find Democrats who oppose the Personhood amendment, the Huffington Post only found two Democratic state Senators who would talk to them and just one who opposes it. They spoke with Sen. Bob Dearing, who said he is likely going to vote for the initiative, but Sen. Deborah Dawkins called it “crazy” and admitted that she is going to vote against her constituents.

Here is what she said: “My position on anything tends to be what the position of the people who elected me is, but sometimes there are these hot-button issues that people are not well-informed about because they don’t know the whole story. I don’t think they understand that it would put an end to stem cell research and in vitro, and it is to the Republicans’ benefit for them not to understand. But surely some other people besides me realize this is about controlling women, and I don’t particularly like to be controlled.”

Kind of reminds me of Democrats who supported Obama’s healthcare legislation against the wishes of their constituents. But then the comments got even more interesting. Dawkins basically said other Democrats need to win re-election because “they’ve got to have a job.” But since she is financially stable and apparently nearing the end of her career, she can follow the national Democratic platform, and her personal wishes over her constituents, when it comes to issues like abortion.

Looking at her voting record more closely, she certainly is on the liberal side of the Senate; one of the few white legislators who can make that claim in either chamber. Over the past four year term, she received an F from BIPEC in each session except 2010- when she managed to receive a D. And that is generally on par with earlier grades when the group issued numerical scores.

Moreover, she calls herself a “progressive” on Facebook and a look at her wall backs that description up. She refers to voter ID as “a poll tax by another name.” Voter ID, again, is an issue voters in her district will be deciding on this fall, and likely support.

But Dawkins, who is now seeking a fourth term, has obviously won her Harrison county district in the past. In 2007, she defeated Ashley Skellie 53-47, so not an impressive win (especially for an incumbent), but a win nonetheless. But the district is an interesting one. Its lost nearly 6,000 residents over the past decade- only SD 50 has seen greater losses along the Coast. The BVAP is now in the mid-30s, about the highest of any on the Coast, but not so much that Republicans automatically don’t have a chance. (Democrats failed to field a candidate for SD 47 which has similar demographics).

Dawkins faces a rematch with Skellie this November. I don’t think it’d be a far-fetched prediction to call this a toss-up once again (I guess that’s not really a prediction), with a Skellie win certainly a possibility. But if Dawkins was to lose, along with the good chance that SD 46 (being vacated by Sen. David Baria) goes Republican, the GOP would take control of every Senate seat along the Coast (SD 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52).

1. Grizz permalink
    September 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Bye Debs,your political carrer is over.

2. Rankinlawyer permalink
    September 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Ashley Skellie will be a great Senator!

3. Boarzombie permalink
    September 26, 2011 1:22 pm

I’m a pretty conservative guy and I hate to digress to the actual ballot initiative, but calling a cluster of cells a “person” is just kinda icky to me. It’s a weird attack on abortion when there are so many more legally sound ways to attack it.

As far as religion, I think it was Saint Thomas Aquinas — you know, the most influential theologian EVER — who said no soul is given onto a body without organs. I’m pretty sure that’s why God allows miscarriages to happen mostly in the first trimester. But I’m just guessing. I’ll ask Him in about forty or fifty years or so.

And has anybody thought what calling fertilized tissue a “person” might do emotionally to ladies who have had miscarriages?

So, sorry, a bunch of cells is not a person. Vote how you want on the initiative, but “if the law supposes that then the law is an ass.”

• Jen permalink
      September 26, 2011 6:11 pm

I cannot find any quote by St. Thomas Aquinas that would directly affirm or imply, as you say, that “no soul is given onto a body without organs.” The Catholic Church teaches that abortion, whatever the motive, is a sin. I, along with many other Protestants, agree.

The Psalmist David said, “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.”—Psalm 139:13-16, KJV

Or, “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast protected me from my mother’s womb. I will praise thee, for thou art fearfully magnified: wonderful are thy works, and my soul knoweth right well. My bone is not hidden from thee, which thou hast made in secret: and my substance in the lower parts of the earth. Thy eyes did see my imperfect being, and in thy book all shall be written: days shall be formed, and no one in them.”—Psalm 138:13-16, Douay-Rheims

And, “By thee have I been confirmed from the womb: from my mother’s womb thou art my protector. Of thee shall I continually sing.”—Psalm 70:6, Douay-Rheims

Life begins at the moment of fertilization, and that is a human life—a person at its very beginning. And that person should be protected by law. This aim of Amendment 26 is to define a “person” as beginning at fertilization.

Here are some answers to questions about how MS Amendment 26 would affect the law: http://www.yeson26.net/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

• Boarzombie permalink
        September 27, 2011 10:45 am

Sorry, Jen, but you and I have to agree to disagree on this one. No heartbeat, no brain, a cluster of cells does not a soul imply. Read Thomas Aquinas’ commentaries on Aristotle’s “On the Soul.”

And let me just say, on principle, I am for small government — but not so small that it will fit inside my wife’s uterus.

I did not find those scriptures, taken in context, to support your proposition. Sorry.

• adam permalink
      September 27, 2011 1:06 pm

You’re not a conservative, Buddy. Those, “cells” as you’ve called them are live. If they weren’t, then how do they become life? You’re “progressive” stand on this is not enlightened, it is foolish. Maybe you know someone that murdered their child in this practice and are trying to spin it into being ok. I don’t know. But those cells are the beginning of life.

4. Grizz permalink
    September 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Scriptures aside,Zero,as an Il. Senator,voted “YEA” to partially abort living breathing babies / fetuses,past the 2nd trimester,even tho 1 at least lived thru this grusome procedure,and had to be killed.–in retrospect,whatever he is for,i’m against.His explanation as to why these partial birth abortions should be allowed? he stated that if his daughter made a mistake,he didn’t want her to live with it the rest of her life.

So,he didn’t want his daughter to live with the thought he had a grandchild,but he DID want her to live knowing she suborned murder–only a radical alinsky communist liberal could rationalize this.

Apparently,Ms.Senator Debs Dawkins thinks the same———-good riddance.

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,329 other followers