Bryant Releases First General Election Spot

October 3, 2011

Phil Bryant released his first general election ad of the campaign cycle focusing on creating jobs and the economy. You can check it out here:

Bryant is up with the first post-primary candidate that I know of to go on the air. And he will be getting plenty of time to himself if Johnny DuPree doesn’t go up until three weeks before the general as previously mentioned.

And as we have talked about, little to nothing in the way of negativity.

Both A.G. candidates pass on certain initiatives. At their appearance at the monthly Stennis Capitol Press Corps luncheon, Attorney General Jim Hood and his opponent Steve Simpson could have done better on one ballot initiative each.

For Hood, I had long wondered if he’d be pressed on voter ID, something that looked like it would be a sticky issue. All Hood would offer is that he would defend all initiatives, but said he won’t make his position public. Perhaps Hood saw the hostility from liberals when he announced he supported the Personhood amendment. But voter ID is also a more sensitive issue for Democrats than abortion.

After the meeting, Simpson reaffirmed his call for multiple debates and said this in a press release: “I believe that Mississippi voters deserve answers to these tough questions before they hire an Attorney General for the next four years, which is why I have called for political debates. While Jim Hood can try to hide from political debates he can not hide from his record of supporting Obamacare and opposing Voter ID, two of the most important issues that will be decided on November 8th.”

But apparently Simpson had his own troubles. When asked his opinion on the eminent domain initiative, he said, “I don’t know how I feel about that.” On a popular issue like this, you can only get away with opposing this if you’re name is Haley Barbour. Simpson will likely need to clarify his position.

Tupelo Tea Party meeting tomorrow night. Tuesday’s Tea Party event in Tupelo will feature special guest Ali Akbar, who penned this letter to Morgan Freeman after he labeled the Tea Party movement and Obama opponents in general as racists.

As we noted here, Billy Marcy wrote a similar letter. Marcy will also be there tomorrow. And state Sen. Nancy Collins will also be at the meeting.

Governing.com review of A.G. races. Check out this link for a review of 2011 and 2012 state attorney general races. Here is what they said about Mississippi: “Two-term Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood looks safer than he did nine months ago, having escaped a top-tier challenger, such as Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. Hood remains the only statewide elected Democrat in Mississippi. His GOP opponent, Steve Simpson- previously a circuit court judge and former Department of Public Safety head- trails him badly in fundraising. Simpson faces an uphill climb, even in a ruby-red state.”

The current balance of state AG’s is actually split even with 25 Democrats and 25 Republicans. I didn’t realize this, but apparently Republicans picked up seven seats last year.

Vann Branch fundraiser tomorrow. Vann Branch, the Republican nominee for the open SD 10 race, will have a fundraiser tomorrow night in Batesville. Michael Dunlap, and his wife Beth Ann, will serve as hosts. You can check out the invite here.

12 Comments
  1. Travis Rose permalink
    October 4, 2011 12:48 pm

Brett, would you please keep us posted on the occupy Jackson protest?

2. SaltwaterAngler permalink
    October 6, 2011 12:43 pm

This post has been up for three days now, and there is no attack by Ron Williams. Surprising.

• Ivehadbetter permalink
      October 7, 2011 11:16 am

“Like”

• Coast Rat 4ever permalink
      October 7, 2011 7:26 pm

Remember that Ron has been placed in “Time-out” by MIM for childish behavior. So it is entirely possible that he did post but it was edited out for outrageous, outlandish and abusive language.

• ron heres why williams permalink
        October 7, 2011 9:42 pm

This is important so try to follow.

Elected Govt. officials have no authority to reward. In the context of law enforcement or administrative oversite they can be punitive. In essence they have the ability to imply or threaten adverse consequences for those who tend not to do as Govt. officials request.

I’ve been accused of being anti-phil. It has been stated that I have sour grapes over the oil spill issue.

Let’s break all of that down. Not because of the project, but to demonstrate the mentality of Phil Bryant.

As you guys know, we have been licensed emergency response hazardous/oil spill cleanup contractors for twenty years. It’s what we do’ Yates construction, prior to BP has never been an oil spill contractor.

My wife and I decided years ago that we would commit to that industry. We would mortgage our house to buy equipment, establish lines of debt to make payroll and do our best to be successful. We were successful.

Now we’re on the spill and we get a call from BP’s folks that they have received a request from Jackson, to include Yates in the spill operation, and that we will be working for yates.

Now remember, Govt. has no authority to reward other than to increase or decrease enforcement and fining authority in any incident. I don’t know what BP was threatened with but my sources inform me that they were not very happy being forced to use yates.

So I was called to a meeting with Yates where I am told they will not honor any payment terms. A small business can’t survive on those terms. We were forced off the project in order to make room for a Phil Bryant campaign contributor.

Here’s the issue do we really want to elect a man who so frivously disregards the sacrifices and risk that mississippi entrepeneurs take to be in business. Either one of two options must be Phils’ mindset. 1. He has no clue what it takes to build a successful business or the value of controlled receivables or 2, He is a paid for politician who works for his campaign contributors and doesn’t care about anybody else.

Both of these mindsets make him a terrible choice for Governor.

Remember, there were three successful business owners who realized how bad will be overall for Mississippi Business. I wasn’t just me.

We do not need a Governor or any other elected official who will abuse his policing authority for the benefit of his campaign contributors.

With our apathy towards what happens after the elections, we have given these people licenses to steal.

That is what I am opposed to.

I can find no record of Johnny Dupree, ever interfering in the private sector, for the benefit of a campaign contributor.

Johnny has set on the board of many commercial entities. ( Phil has not ). Johnny understands a basic repuiblican tenet. Freemarket without Govt. intrusion.

You guys tell me who the best candidate is.

• ron $5,5000.00 reward williams permalink
        October 7, 2011 9:55 pm

I think I know who Rat is. Not 100% sure. need confirmation. I am offering $5,000.00 dollars, cash money to any one who will confirm that Identity. The least rat can do, if he is going to personally attack me, is subject himself to the same public scrutiny.

Please call 228-990-4564

• ron williams permalink
        October 8, 2011 6:54 pm

This is my last visit to MIM.

But I want to point out one thing. You guys have attacked on every level. I’m ok with that. Your opinions are obviously not very educated. But in all of the accusations and inuendo, I am the only one not hiding behind a Pseudonym.

I know you guys will celebrate the fact that I know longer really care about your opinions. But you will never be able to deny the fact that 25000 voters agreed with mine.

If you want to respond. I won’t be reading, so make whatever wild accusations you want. That beats discussing the issues that face our state, especially when you don’t comprehend them.

Bill Billingsley, I challenge you to ask coast rat if everything I said about DEQ, USES and no-bid was a fact. I never lied to you guys about anything. But you guys would rather have liars for leaders.

• ron to salt williams permalink
      October 7, 2011 9:51 pm

SAltwater

I’m not here to attack anyone. I just want you guys to think. It amazes me, that with all your effort into the blogs, you guys never discuss the nuts and bolts of any issues. It is as if you have been prgrammed by the party to recite the party line.

I have always been an independent thinker. One rule that has always been helpful in making decisions, when it comes to questionable policy by Govt., is to follow the money. I wish ya’ll would do the same.

So i thought about it and I’ve come to the conclusion that many of you on MIM are somehow benefitting from these questionable acts in Jackson. So I’m wasting my time.

And RAT, my post are still posted. I’ve been off a few days. It is amazing that you guys miss me so much. I feel loved. Thanks

• Coast Rat 4ever permalink
        October 8, 2011 12:42 am

Question for you Ron,

Have you ever taken prescription drugs for the purpose of controlling, treating or dealing with any form of mental disorder or mental condition? Folks down here have talked about this rumor for some time now…

• ron to rat williams permalink
          October 8, 2011 1:27 pm

RAt

I will not respond to anymore of your comments under a fake name. It is a waste of time and deceptive to others who are on the site. Your wild and off the wall accusations of me are unfounded. Yet you continue with these snipes and try to give yourself credibility by professing that you know me. I don’t think you do. So why waste my time responding to a fraud. If wish to have any discussion on any issue with me my Phone # is 228-990-4564/ my answering service is 228-762-0670 ( 24/7 ).

To imply that I take mental medicine, and then try to give that attack credibility by saying everyone talks about it is wrong. ( who is everyone?).

If you do know me, it is obvious that you have a personal grudge against me. Why don’t you just come clean and lets’ get whatever it is behind us. It’s not money, because we pay our bills. So what is it?

Until you quit hiding, you have no credibility.

Brett I would ask that you ban this person from any more personal attacks on me unless he uses his real name.

3. I want to ask permalink
    October 7, 2011 11:33 pm

what was the substance Ron has admitted to abusing?

he needs to be checked!

• ron to rat williams permalink
      October 8, 2011 1:46 pm

. My wife asks me why I even care what you people think. I tell her that is important that Govt. be discussed, so that people can maintain control of Govt.

As history shows us throught the world, when govt. gets out of control or becomes completely corrupted it is a bad thing.

So I try to share my Ideas on the issues, yet all I receive is personal attacks.

You guys don’t care about good Govt. This is all just an entertaining game to you.

God Bless you and good luck to you

Did you make that $50,000 contribution to BACOT yet. They need it. Also you need to get with Coast Honor flight and get them $5,000.00 ( we don’t do charity in Jackson Co, anymore ) Also Hope House Ministries and there is some kid in the Hurley area, we pay for some kind of medical treatments through his church, I’ll try to get you that info. Rat you need to get to funding these pretty quick, there are people who need your help. Now that you’ve pointed out that I’m just a crazy drain on Jackson County you need to step up. I think the kid in the Hurley area dies without the treatments. You need to get to work.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 70 other followers