Bryant: Say No To Obama By Saying No To DuPree

October 31, 2011

This may be the closest Phil Bryant has come to going negative as he warned supporters what a Johnny DuPree victory would look like in national context, as he strongly tied the Democratic gubernatorial candidate to Barack Obama and the national party:

“We’ve got to get the vote out. I shudder when people tell me, ‘Phil, you got it made. What will happen if my opponent is elected is that MSNBC and ABC and all the liberals will be giddy with excitement. They will say that America loves Obama because his close friend and protégé was elected governor of Mississippi. Think about that; it would change the complexion of the next presidential election.

The Democrats sent their national committee chairperson to Jackson, Debbie Wassermann Schultz, to campaign for Mr. DuPree. Have you ever seen or heard her? She is the liberal’s liberal. She will make your hair stand on end. She makes Nancy Pelosi look like Ronald Reagan. Her coming to Mississippi to support a gubernatorial candidate has never happened before. She said, ‘We are going to win this for Mayor DuPree and President Obama, and the road back to the White House passes through Mississippi.’ I have nothing against my opponent. He is a fine man. But he is on the wrong team which has the wrong ideas for our country. I want to make sure that we are the first to say no to Obama by saying no to Mayor DuPree.”

Throughout the country, the issue of running with- or running against- the president has become one that moderate Democrats from red (and purple) states will have to deal with in 2012. (Usually, these Democrats conveniently have an event scheduled in another part of the state when Obama comes to town). In 2010, the issue wasn’t so much Obama as it was Nancy Pelosi as the GOP made historic gains in taking control of the House. It got to the point that Travis Childers ran ads showcasing his votes against the Democratic leadership while Gene Taylor said he wouldn’t support her bid for Speaker next time around. Same with Childers. Neither got that chance as they both lost. So you could say that running away from their party did little to help them.

But do you think it would have been better if they brought Obama or Pelosi in to campaign for them? No, it likely would have been worse.

But it will be an interesting trend to follow next year. Democratic Senators in states like Pennsylvania, Missouri, and Montana will be up for re-election and if you haven’t look at numbers recently, Obama isn’t particularly strong (or popular) in these three states, two of which are traditional swing states.

1. Ashton permalink
    October 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Say no to Obama by saying no to DuPree? Electing DuPree would change the “complexion” of the Presidential election?

If I were Bryant, I wouldn’t be using language that could so easily be interpreted as racial.

• ron williams permalink
      October 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Obama and his associates reward their campaign contributors with various forms of pork, ( grants, loans like solyndra etc. etc.). I have not heard Phil say he will stop the practice of rewarding campaign contributors with No-bid contracts or Grants. Obama and Bryant are both professional politicians. They’re two of a kind.

When I talk to people about this election, and even when campaigning, I was often reminded that both parties need to clean up their acts if they expect the “non-political” public to reengage in the process. So far neither party has shown that that have any sense of right or wrong. They don’t seem to stand for anything.

A lot of people hoped that the MS TEA party would offer something different, but they just became an arm of the established MSGOP.

I don’t know who will win the election, but either way nothing changes.

When I point out failings in our party I’m attacked as “soap boxing” , but I’m just what relating what I see and hear.

• Grizz permalink
        October 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Ron,the Tea party up here initially endorsed Dave Dennis,however when he lost the primary,it was either go with Phil and try and get him to change a few ways,or with the Dems,Johnny DuPree –a no brainer lol
        but,you ARE correct–

2. Grizz permalink
    October 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Well,we here in Corinth support and will vote for Phil.When he was in Corinth on Sat.Sept.10th at the Celebrate Freedom Festival,he was Courteous to all,and talked personaly with a young Marine just back from two Tours,1 in Iraq,& 1 in Afghanistan.
    However,with that said,when i personally asked him to his face when elected Gov.,will he issue A blanket waiver to Mississippi exempting the entire state from obamacare,he declined,and walked away.This is my only problem with him i guess, its the same ole same ole,big party,big money,and cowardly to actually take a risk and speak up and act.His only comment was he hoped he won his lawsuit on obamacare.In the meantime tho,if he doesn’t act and waiver the state,we will be spending untold millions in preparing insurance exchanges and loss of Clinic / Dr. services.
    If obama can waiver McDonalds,A state Gov.can surely waiver his State.This is the difference between a Governor,and a Gov.who Governs–and none of us saw a racial bone in his body.

• ron williams permalink
      October 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey Grizz,

If phil had just once said he would stop the practice of no bid contracts and grants to campaign contributoirs, I would have got out of the race and supported him. He is a nice person and I have no doubt that he was courteous to the Vets and the crowd. But really aren’t we all.

You hit the nail on the head, when you pointed out that he woluld not commit to ant specific action. He speaks in broad and pleasing terms, using beautiful language. But nothing about wasting tax dollars.

I don’t know your finances and it’s none of my business. I will tell you that My wife and I paid over $400,000.00 in combined federal and state taxes last year. I don’t mind paying the taxes if it is necessary to turn our society around. But what happens is that the politicians like Phil, Obama, and others from both parties, continue to fill up the pork barrel with our hard earned dollars and our State and our Nation just goes further into peril

we have got to start thinking outside of the party boxes if we are going to fix this.

As you know, I have done some radio spots for Johnny. If he is elected, it will block the Republican pork party. We will have four years to figure out ifJohnny was the best choice or if we need to find someone willing to bring honesty to the mansion.

My research indicates that johnny is not an Obama liberal. While I disagree with some of his social ideas, all in all I think he’s our best effort for now.

• Grizz permalink
        October 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Phil will do us ok,but his buddy patty nunnelee is a disgrace–please hurry up and file to run against patty o’nunnelee Henry–

3. kippost1306 permalink
    October 31, 2011 5:22 pm

If Phil Bryant has a record, why would he need to associate Mr. Dupree with President Obama? Just run on your record – such as it is. I have a question. If I were an undecided voter and I was trying to decide whether to vote for Phil Bryant or Johnny Dupree, what would be the case made for Phil Bryant? Keep in mind that I would know that the unemployment rate in Mississippi has climbed since the Barbour/Bryant administration has been in office. Keep in mind that I would know that Mississippi has done nothing to decrease the number of uninsured people in the state over the last 8 years. Keep in mind that I would know that although companies have been brought to the state, more companies have left taking numerous jobs from a large number of communities. Keep in mind that I would know that 80% of the largest companies in the State of Mississippi pay no state income taxes. Keep in mind that I would know the same federal government that is constantly villified by state officials provides a substantial amount of funds to the state budget. Keep in mind that although state officials talk about what the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Bill) hasn’t done for Mississippi, I would know that Community Action Agencies throughout Mississippi(through the State of MS Dept of Human Services) received and served a large number of Mississippi residents by utilizing funds to weatherize homes (including installing central heating/air for low income residents in rural areas) via the Weatherization program. They provided home energy assistance with high energy bills the past two winters through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP Program). These programs utilized heating/cooling contractors (who provided additional jobs to their workers). Stimulus funds were provided to Community Health Centers within the State of Mississippi for Capital Improvement Programs that built additional health centers throughout the state as well as provided funds to increase the Center’s capacity (by hiring additional medical personnel – i.e. doctors, nurses, etc.).I will stop there because it goes on and on. Please don’t give me excuses about the makeup of the legislature. If you won’t let the President use the excuse, you can’t use it either.

Since so many are for Phil, I want to know why. Patiently waiting..thanks

• Grizz permalink
      October 31, 2011 9:53 pm

Heres my story,and i’m stickin to it. I don’t care if their name is Klatuu, and they have green skin and landed in my front yard in a flying disk. if they are against obamacare,socialism in America,pelosi and bennie thompson,they have MY vote.

• Ashton Elijah Pittman permalink
        October 31, 2011 11:35 pm

So basically, as long as they tell you what they think you want to hear, eh?

Good sheep. Thank you for keeping the good ole boy GOP system of Mississippi alive. Thank you for ensuring that we will continue to be last in everything (except obesity and poverty rates). Thank you for ensuring the status quo. Thank you for believing everything politicians with an R beside their names say.

Thank you OH SO MUCH.

• Grizz permalink
          November 1, 2011 9:46 am

ash,–your post is wrong on at least two counts that i see–maybe more,maybe not–
          1. I do NOT believe everything a politician with an “R” says,i an thoroughly fed up with patty o’nunnelee,as thousands more are.
          2. We are NOT last in education,we rose to # 49 as worst,from being #50,last–(sarcasm)
          course now,the President of the United States may disagree with me–but i’m not counting the rest of his 57 states–( more good ole boy sarcasm)

4. kippost1306 permalink
    November 1, 2011 12:28 am

Grizz, I appreciate your honesty. Your answer, however, is the reality of Mississippi. You continue to vote against your own interests and get caught up in minsinformation, disinformation and often times no information. Perhaps you were joking but I doubt it. I’m still waiting for someone to answer my question.

• Ashton Elijah Pittman permalink
      November 1, 2011 1:25 am

There is no answer, kippost1306. The only answer is the mantra they’ve been sold by the GOP: Your only choice is the Republican they choose for you vs. his socialist, Marxist, Obama supporting, America hating opponent.

In reality, the choice is between someone who presided over the continued stagnation of our economy, the continued dwindling of our education system, the continued worsening of our healthcare — in the least educated, unhealthiest, poorest state in the country — and someone who, even in that state, presided over a city with a growing economy and the healthiest status in Mississippi.

But let’s not let facts get in the way. Let’s continue voting against our own self-interests, because… well… the scary socialist liberals might win otherwise.

• Republican Dawg permalink
        November 1, 2011 10:45 am

Please, DuPree happens to be a mayor of a college town. Have you noticed Starkville and Oxford? They’re doing fine for themselves as well. In fact, of those three Hattiesburg has actually seen the least growth. Put that in your student newspaper.

People are moving to Lamar county, not the actual city of Hattiesburg. Yet you never hear DuPree say that. Why is this happening? I don’t have a problem with Hattiesburg, but don’t give me some crap about the great things DuPree did for it any more than the mayors of Oxford or Starkville can take benefit for what has happened in those towns. If Bryant had decided to he wanted to run for mayor of Brandon rather than run for legislative/ statewide office, he could say the same thing.

The truth is that there are plenty of areas in Mississippi that are doing fine. Rankin, Madison (minus Canton), Desoto, etc. Good schools, there are jobs, safe communities, etc. At the end of the day that’s what people (families) want. We’ve had this discussion here before and it doesn’t go anywhere. It’s not Bryant’s or Barbour’s or Musgrove’s or Mabus’ fault that everything is leaving/ left Greenville or (insert city in Delta here) or other points in MS. It’s no different than what is happening throughout the country- and before the recession or George Bush became president.

One of the things I like about Bryant is his talk about individual responsibility- imagine that noble concept. It isn’t his (the gov’ts) fault that someone dropped out of school at 15 and is now working at a gas station making minimum wage. And has 3 kids by the time there 21. But if you finish h.s., go to college or some type of trade school, don’t take out $100k in loans, get married before you have kids, you can make a good life for yourself regardless of where you come from.

• Grizz permalink
      November 1, 2011 9:55 am

yes,it was humor mixed with honesty lol–I don’t think any of us are altogether happy with all the “R” politicians-example,nunnelee went against the new “tea party” congressmwn/women,and voted with pelosi and the other big party big money ole school spender repubs to raise debt ceiling–and he did it more than once.in fact,Heritage foundation gave him an embarrasing 68% rating,and ranked him # 87 on list of 90 newbies–cause of his voting with pelosi 59% of the time.so,we are not pleased with his lies to court Tea party votes when a candidate–
      P.S. please hurry and file Henry–maybe this time Angela won’t lie and support patty after publicly stating her intentions to support you–personaly,i’ve had it with lying weaseley politicians of ANY party who lie to our faces.but,the edge in lying does seem to go to the Dems.

5. kippost1306 permalink
    November 1, 2011 1:00 pm

Republican Dawg you still don’t get it. Your praise is only heaped upon those areas that are doing well. That’s easy. Mississippi is at the bottom because of what has not been done for the least of those areas in this state. How can you brag about a few areas ‘making it’ when you have so many areas that are ‘struggling’. That’s where leadership comes in. If the state of Mississippi ‘alone’ was responsible for taking care of itself, where would Mississippi be? The federal government has provided for Mississippi at a higher rate than it has states that are doing well. As much as you guys rail against the federal government, that would be a disaster if those federal funds ceased.That’s why conservatives are such hypocrites. Yes, hypocrites. You claim to be Christians but you couldn’t truly know what that means and the responsibility it entails. Jesus said, “Whatever you did for the least of these…you did for me”. What have the conservatives in Mississippi done ‘for the least of these’ areas in Mississippi that have helped to bring this state up? People on this site can post about foolishness, but when real questions are asked, there are no real answers.

• Just Watching permalink
      November 2, 2011 9:25 am

Jesus commanded the church to take care of “the least of these.” Not the Government.

• Republican Dawg permalink
      November 2, 2011 9:53 am

Not worth my energy on kip, but last time I checked Mississippi is the most generous state in the nation when it comes to charitable giving. I/ we don’t need a lecture on it.

6. Curious permalink
    November 1, 2011 3:17 pm

Mississippi is on the bottom of every category because Democrats have dominated the political system for the past century.

On one side of your mouth you speak of “good ol’ boy” Republican politics. On the other side you fail to mention how Democrats have dominated this political landscape for most of its history; we’ve been essentially a one-party state since the late 1800s.

Before you attempt to blame decades of poor judgment on Haley Barbour or Phil Bryant, you should perhaps look at your democrat-majority legislature and tell them to get their act together.

History proves they won’t.

• Grizz permalink
      November 1, 2011 3:46 pm

And that spells BINGO—

7. kippost1306 permalink
    November 1, 2011 6:25 pm

No Grizz, all that means is that Blind Ignorance Needs Glossing Over…that’s your BINGO!

Curious, is that all you have? Surely you can find a friend and come up with something better. That’s a poor excuse. Again, you nor any of your other posting friends have answered the REAL question posed in my original and subsequent posts. Where is the ‘personal responsibility’ within the republican party? Where is the leadership? Denial is not a good trait for you and your conservative ideology. Your posts keep helping me prove my points. Just as conservatives are quick to tell African Americans to get over slavery and not use it to justify continued institutional racism, you need to get over what you purport to be remnants of Democrat control in Mississippi. Your party has been in charge for 8 years in Mississippi which is, as you guys like to brag, the most conservative state in the nation and Mississippi has not moved anywhere from the bottom of all that is good. Your ideology has done nothing to help the least of these in Mississippi move up (individuals, cities and counties). All you do is lift up the few that benefit from the hard work and effort of the ‘least of these’(tax paying citizens in every part of the state whose tax dollars go the areas that serve only a few and don’t benefit the most). So forgive me if I continue to laugh at you and the foolishness that you continue to post. I’m still waiting on REAL answers!

• Grizz permalink
      November 1, 2011 6:28 pm

instead of waiting for answers from us who you hold in low esteem,why not go out and seel your own grasshopper?

• Just Watching permalink
      November 2, 2011 9:28 am

“All you do is lift up the few that benefit from the hard work and effort of the ‘least of these’(tax paying citizens in every part of the state whose tax dollars go the areas that serve only a few and don’t benefit the most).”

To me, it looks like you are complaining that we aren’t redistributing enough wealth.

8. Hayes Dent permalink
    November 2, 2011 9:56 am

Kipp, I’m reminded of the Churchill (I think it was Churchill) quote about American democracy being the worst form of government…”except for all the others on the planet”. Bottom line, Barbour/Bryant, et al aren’t perfect…but no one is, they just happen to be alot better than the alternative. Let me address/correct some of your points. Since you are posing as an undecided voter, that’s how I’ll address things.

First, unemployment is up, America has had the biggest economic hiccup since the Depression, no real surprise here. The real question is what it would be if “the other side” were running things. Since you are undecided, you’ll have to make that choice.
    Second, there are more uninsured folk today in Mississippi because the state house has voted down the health exchange networks proposed by Barbour/Bryant, et al that would have put more people into health insurance plans. You’re undecided, you can do a little research on that and find it on the web. Third, while I’m not an economist, the business cycle is exactly the way you described it. New jobs have come into the state and some business’s have left. I think even Paul Krugman would agree with that concept. It’s my understanding that there are more new “net” jobs in MS, and most importantly, they are higher paying jobs. Fourth, 80% of companies pay no taxes. We probably just disagree on philosophy here. I wish it was 100% of companies paying no tax, that way we could advertise that and hopefully do better selling the virtues of our business climate. Fifth, you mention federal funds and LIHEAP…I’ll throw these together. I think, given the nature of the American condition these days, federal funds are a reality and in some cases are very good. Again, we probably disagree on whether it’s a good thing for the federal government to pay people’s utility bills. I actually can live with some LIHEAP if it goes to weatherization of homes…I’d vote against it were I in DC, but some of that is just a reality.

Those were your original points and I would agree that a later post about some counties doing better than others needs to be addressed. I always encourage leaders to work on the tough problems first, some places take care of themselves. But a high tide rises all boats and we just have to keep working on these areas of the state that need extra attention.

Bottom line, while some of the problems simply can be explained with facts and not rhetoric, some need work. As an undecided voter, you need to decide does the Johnny Dupree position fit your believes more than the Phil Bryant positions on issues of the day. I would also add that I’d like to hear your solutions to all your “keep in mind” posits in your original post. Then we might better understand where you come from policy wise.

9. kippost1306 permalink
    November 2, 2011 1:51 pm

Thank you Hayes for at least having a rational repsonse. You know it’s funny in talking about which side has the right plan. If there is a your side and a my side then there must also be a ‘correct side’. To your points though about the ‘Keep In Mind’ postions:

1. Unemployment & Companies to the state (Yes, some aspects of this can be attributed to the national economy but just a small portion…..1st, the unemployment rate is not just high in the Ms Delta counties….it’s double digits across 90% of the counties in the state…2nd, the large companies have been recruited but the small companies have been allowed to leave/or shut down leaving all areas of the state…those employees are having to drive 45 minutes to an hour (at least) one way to other jobs that are not paying a living wage. The state is recruiting but not taking care of the existing smaller companies and businesses. That would be a start.

2. Uninsured population – the state should provide funds (as Louisiana does) to help increase community health centers throughout the state; eliminate the face to face requirement for medicaid re-certification(the rationale for this isn’t credible); actively seek to enroll more children in the CHIPS program; tell the Mississippi people the truth about the Affordable Healthcare Act (most requirements won’t apply to the majority of businesses in the state because the majority of businesses have less than 50 employees).

3. Taxes paid by large corporations in Mississippi – we are already breaking the bank for a few, the entire state should at least benefit. The corporate rate should be increased

Please log in to WordPress.com to post a comment to your blog.

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out )

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 71 other followers