Senate Dem To Switch Parties Today

November 10, 2011

Earlier this morning, the Mississippi Republican Party announced that they will be having a press conference at party headquarters to announce a “major development for Republicans in the Mississippi Senate.” I have been told it is to present the newest member of the Republican Party. A Democrat who won re-election on Tuesday will be changing parties.

There are only so many Democrats remaining who would be candidates to switch if you want to guess who it may be. The press conference is at 4 p.m. and will include Lt. Gov.-elect Tate Reeves, MSGOP Chairman Arnie Hederman, and members of the state Senate.

This move will give Republicans their 31st member in the 52-person chamber. We can say those numbers with confidence because Giles Ward has indeed been re-elected in his Senate district that covers Neshoba, Leake, and Winston counties. According to a press release from Ward, he received 8,882 votes compared to 8,731 for Democrat Steven Kilgore.

Ward issued this statement in declaring victory: “I am extremely humbled that the voters have honored me with the opportunity to serve them for the next four years. I want to thank those who supported me with their votes as well as those who voted for my able opponent. I am committed to serving all the citizens of District 18, regardless of political party, as we goforward during these difficult economic times. I ask for your prayers for Kay andme as we work together to forge a bright future for this district and for the State ofMississippi.”

1. Republican Dawg permalink
    November 10, 2011 10:35 am

Possible switchers in Senate:

Nickey Browning
    J. P. Wilemon
    Gray Tollison
    Haskins Montgomery

Possibly Russell Jolly but since you said re-elected that wouldn’t sense.

2. Magnolia permalink
    November 10, 2011 10:41 am

I’m betting on Nickey Browning….However, will he address the mailers he sent?

Doubt Jolly will switch, but I expect him to vote with the Rs/Conservatives.

3. CraigA permalink
    November 10, 2011 11:00 am

I’ll take Gray

4. Eric permalink
    November 10, 2011 11:03 am

Got a link to the GOP announcement, Brett?

• November 10, 2011 11:07 am

Here’s the entire release:

Advisory:
      News Conference Announcing Major Development
      for Republicans in Mississippi Senate

WHAT: News conference to announce a major development for Republicans in the Mississippi Senate

WHO: Lieutenant Governor-elect Tate Reeves
      Mississippi Republican Party Chairman Arnie Hederman
      Member(s) of the Mississippi Senate

WHEN: Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM

WHERE: Mississippi Republican Party Headquarters, 415 Yazoo Street, Jackson, MS 39201

5. Eric permalink
    November 10, 2011 11:06 am

NEMS saying it’s Tollison

6. Bill Billingsley permalink
    November 10, 2011 12:00 pm

I’d say Browning or Montgomery before Tollison. He’s a trial lawyer and his daddy was a big time Democrat. It will be hard for him to give the old “I didn’t leave the party, the party left me,” speech. Wilemon maybe, but I can’t see him running again in four years so what would be the point? I’d rather it be Browning, because I think Tollison might be vulnerable four years from now. Of course, if I’m right that may be why he’d be the likely one to do it. It seems that more than a few of them decide their ideology lines up better with the other side when it looks like the other side is winning.

7. Sid permalink
    November 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Read between the lines folks. Whoever the switcher may be is predicting there will be another election next year. This is a flanking move.

8. Bill Billingsley permalink
    November 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I hope you’re wrong, Sid. We need time for the Election Commissioners and Circuit Clerks to get the precincts right before they start trying to draw legislative lines.

9. jason permalink
    November 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Tollison is a liberal Democrat. The party should say “thanks, but no thanks, the train has left the station.” The late comers to the party will be nothing but RINO’s and are only switching to protect their district lines and committee assignments.

10. Chrisman permalink
    November 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Tollison is a liberal Democrat.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )