Full List of Senate Committees

January 6, 2012

I don’t believe this has been posted on the legislative website yet, so for those of you who are wanting to see the entire committee listings, follow the link below:

Full List of Senate Committees

Here is a list of the Legislative Reapportionment Committee, which is now 6-3 Republican, and one we’re obviously paying close attention to:

Merle Flowers (R), Chairman
Chris McDaniel (R)
Hob Bryan (D)
Hillman Frazier (D)
Willie Simmons (D)
Terry Brown (R)
Joey Fillingane (R)
Buck Clarke (R)
Nancy Collins (R)

No Terry Burton, but Bryan is back on it. Time will tell what direction Flowers takes this.

Among the money committees, Appropriations committee (chaired by Sen. Buck Clarke) will be made up of 15 Republicans and 11 Democrats. Republicans also have a 16-10 advantage on the Finance committee (chaired by Sen. Joey Fillingane).

As for the other committees, here is their party breakdown since no ID is included on the committee roster:

Accountability Efficiency and Transparency- 6 R/ 3 D
Municipalities- 6 R/ 5 D
Ports and Marine Resources- 8 R/ 3 D
Public Health and Welfare- 12 R/ 7 D
Public Property- 4 R/ 3 D
State Library – 0 R/ 5 D
Tourism- 7 R/ 4 D
Universities and Colleges- 8 R/ 5 D (Gary Jackson listed twice)
Veterans and Military Affairs- 4 R/ 3 D
Wildlife Fisheries and Parks- 8 R/ 3 D

About these ads
  1. Bill Billingsley permalink
    January 6, 2012 3:19 pm

I hope they can draw a good map that ends up with another Madison County majority district, but I don’t know if it will make much difference. The approved plan will have to go to DOJ for preclearance, and I don’t see them looking favorably at a state that’s as bright a shade of red as we are. Additionally, we’re bound to have a lawsuit from the NAACP against any map that remotely favors the Republicans. Three judge panel, here we come…

• Hinds Lawyer permalink
      January 6, 2012 4:40 pm

Bill are you happy with Tates appointments so far?

• It has been said permalink
        January 7, 2012 9:51 am

I remember seeing a post either Bill or someone else made concerning how no Dems or new converts should receive a chairmanship!

• Bill Billingsley permalink
        January 7, 2012 11:07 am

I think so. I don’t know that I’d have put Bryan in the chair of Judiciary B, and Kirby is a surprise on Public Health only because I didn’t realize , but I think both will be fine. Sojourner as a chair in her first term is curious, but I’m sure there was a good reason to do it. Tollison chairing Education is an interesting choice – makes you wonder if that wasn’t part of the deal on the party switch. I don’t know much about most of the Democrats he appointed, but I think they’ll be okay. Hopefully they recognize that their political future in the form of getting anything done in their districts may depend on how well they work with the Republican majority and the Lieutenant Governor.

• Bill Billingsley permalink
          January 7, 2012 11:08 am

Kirby is a surprise on Public Health because I didn’t realize he had any interest in that direction. Sorry…got interrupted mid sentence.

• Republican Dawg permalink
          January 7, 2012 1:06 pm

I like Sojourner as Forestry chair. Last term, Giles Ward chaired it so it seems to go to freshman. You don’t defeat a 30 year incumbent unless you are a very skilled politician so I imagine the GOP has good plans for her.

2. adam permalink
    January 6, 2012 5:05 pm

I’m not. Tate is proving to be a true moderate…..

• Bill Billingsley permalink
      January 7, 2012 11:11 am

Adam, I think it’s easier to start moderate and move to the right than it is to start with your foot on their neck. The important thing is that there’s a Republican majority on all the committees and the Democrats are pretty much at the end of their rope. The committee appointments don’t necessarily make Tate a moderate. We’ll see how moderate the product coming out of the committees turns out to be.

3. janet14 permalink
    January 7, 2012 6:57 am

I just don’t understand the slime that Tate has surrounded himself with. Apparently, he is one of em. His inner circle seems to be men who are much more interested in power than in the state of Mississippi. They are the most morally bankrupt men at the capitol. With these appointments, he has just proven that he is not a qualified or competent Lt. Gov. Poor Mississippi.

4. Bill Billingsley permalink
    January 7, 2012 10:39 am

It has been said is right. I was against Democrats being in chairs period and certainly not in any important ones, both in the House and the Senate. I was worried that the blow back from losing control of the House would cause the Democrats to circle their wagons and oppose everything that Republicans offered. I guess that was sort of like me trying to call football plays from the couch – there’s a reason I’m on the couch and the coach is on television. I was wrong and I think Tate’s appointments are fine. I think he did the right thing to reach across the aisle, especially since it’s apparent – at least for now – that the Democrats are going to try and work with the Republicans toward real solutions to our problems. I’m pleasantly surprised at the attitudes of some of the long time Democrats, and I’m optimistic about our chances. Time will tell…

5. Travis Rose permalink
    January 7, 2012 10:11 pm

Just an observation. Of all the Senate districts that are on the coast. Dawkins is the only one on Insurance. I suppose the 2 Pearl River Senators are close. Smith’s gerrymandered district may even have a little waterfront on the Pascagoula River.

6. Travis Rose permalink
    January 7, 2012 10:13 pm

What is Enrolled Bills? It’s the only one with a Dem majority.

• rubradog permalink
      January 8, 2012 8:51 am

Travis, that committee does nothing. It is in charge of seeing that the final printed bill accurately reflects what the chamber voted on and passed. It rarely, if ever, meets.

• January 8, 2012 4:50 pm

Dems have a majority on Enrolled Bills, Executive Contingent Fund, Interstate and Federal Co-op, Investigate State Offices, Labor & State Library.

7. Coast Rat 4ever permalink
    January 10, 2012 6:59 am

I, like many others on MIM, are disappointed in some of the senate committee chairmen and member assignments. But instead of attacking Tate and his appointees I do feel as if we need to take a wait and see approach before criticizing too aggressively. Let’s see what the legislation looks like this session before attacking Tate et al. It won’t take long for us to get an idea of how conservative the senate is and how Tate’s appointees are steering the issues and legislation. It’s quite easy for us to sit back and “arm-chair” quarterback but it’s all together something else to try and forge alliances and effectively steer the senate toward good, conservative government. So, although I am in strong disagreement in several of Tate’s decisions, I am going to support Tate and his appointees until facts emerge that indicate they are not moving the senate in the RIGHT direction…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )