Last Week To Qualify For 2012

January 9, 2012

The qualifying period to run for House and Senate races began last Tuesday and in the short time frame, it expires on Friday, January 13. Will we see some last minute dramatics or will incumbents generally be able to get by without taking too many deep breaths?

** Joining Albert Gore Jr. in the Democratic primary for the right to take on Sen. Roger Wicker, who qualified for re-election last Thursday, is Dr. Roger Weiner of Clarksdale, who also serves as a supervisor in Coahoma county. And gathering signatures to run as an independent against Wicker is Thomas Cramer. Cramer is a Tea Party activist who looks to be running to the incumbent’s right.

Still no other big names on the Democratic side, and really no whispers of any.

** Henry Ross announced that he is again running against Rep. Alan Nunnelee in MS-01 today, according to his website which is in the process of being updated. Ross narrowly missed out on a runoff two years ago in a three-way race as Nunnelee was on his way to unseating Travis Childers. On Thursday, he will hold campaign kickoffs in Desoto, Lee, Lowndes, and Webster counties. The front page of his website also has a message on why he is running if you want to see some of the areas where he will go after Nunnelee.

** Along with MS-01, we have not seen or heard of Democrats lining up in MS-03. I know some Tea Party groups have talked about also challenging Rep. Gregg Harper, but don’t believe we have anything formal yet.

** Rep. Steven Palazzo has a challenger on both the Republican and Democratic side as we noted last week, but not the brand names that would make this a potentially challenging re-election at this point. Basically, Gene Taylor has five days to make a decision and that is really what I waiting on to see how it plays out.

About these ads
  1. Bill Marcy permalink
    January 9, 2012 8:54 am

To set the record straight. Bill Marcy, republican has also qualified and believes he will unseat Bennie Thompson in MS-2. Bill Marcy is the “Champion of Young People” has a new video on his web site, BillMarcyForCongress.com

• Seriousvoter permalink
      January 9, 2012 6:40 pm

Bill – glad to see you are running again. It is time to get that crook Bennie Thompson out of politics in Mississippi. Wish I could vote for you but I live in Eupora. Will tell everyone I know in your area though what a fine man you are.

• Ron Williams permalink
      January 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey Bill,

Let me know if I can help.

228-990-4564

2. Grizz permalink
    January 9, 2012 9:16 am

God Speed to Mr.Ross on defeating the incumbant RINO who seems to think it’s fine to keep voting WITH pelosi & the dems,plus voted FOR the NDAA bill.

• Seriousvoter permalink
      January 9, 2012 6:42 pm

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FRank permalink
    January 9, 2012 10:09 am

Have I missed something??? albertgorejunior??? running in the democrat primary for the United States Senate in Mississippi???

• Bill Billingsley permalink
      January 10, 2012 8:41 am

Not that Albert Gore, Jr. Former VP Al Gore is a junior himself, and I don’t remember reading about him moving to Mississippi. There’s a retired physician named Albert Gore in Mississippi somewhere – I have a picture of him with another Mississippi physician named George Bush – so it could be his son. I guess we’ll find out soon enough…

• January 10, 2012 8:46 am

This Albert Gore Jr. is from Starkville. Head of the local Democratic Party I believe I read.

4. FRank permalink
    January 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I was thinking of al gore jrs son who is probably a third. Didn’t really think I had missed something like that.

5. MS_VOTER87 permalink
    January 20, 2012 9:00 am

Where can I find a complete listing of all candidates eligible for the 2012 election?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )