All Incumbents Will Face Opponents In 2012

January 16, 2012

With the close of business on Friday, the period to qualify for House and Senate races ended with all incumbents facing both primary and general election challengers, but featuring few names you have probably heard of.

One of the big stories, at least from my prospective, was the relative free pass that Rep. Steven Palazzo has received. For some time we have read about rather embarrassing stories from his office but at the end of the day Gene Taylor stayed out and so did prominent Republicans who were rumored- such as state Sen. Michael Watson or attorney Brian Sanderson. Instead, Palazzo will face Ron Vincent and Cindy Burleson in the primary and either Jason Vitosky or Michael Herrington in the general. Another Democrat, Joshua LaRose, qualified but apparently he lives in Florida and the party has said he won’t be certified. And it looks like Ron Williams, the former Republican gubernatorial candidate who would go on to endorse Democrat Johnny DuPree, will be running as a Libertarian.

Palazzo should also get a nice boost in February as House Majority Leader Eric Cantor will be in Gulfport helping raise money for the incumbent.

In MS-01, former state Rep. Mark DuVall dropped out after Brad Morris, former chief of staff to Travis Childers, got in the race, and he will be the lone Democrat hoping to unseat Rep. Alan Nunnelee. Nunnelee first has to hold off two Republicans in the primary, including Henry Ross, who also ran in 2010, and Robert Estes. Ross formally entered the race this week after his campaign got off with a bit of a glitch when they were forced to remove Howie Morgan as campaign manager. John Collin Thompson is now working for the Ross campaign who put out their first ad today; going directly after Nunnelee.

And as some of the readers have noted, you will also see Danny Bedwell, who is running on the Libertarian Party label, in the general.

As expected, Heather McTeer will run against Rep. Bennie Thompson in the Democratic primary in MS-02 with the winner of that facing 2010 Republican candidate Bill Marcy in the general. And in MS-03, Rep. Gregg Harper will meet Robert Allen in the primary with Crystal Biggs running as a Democrat.

And in the Senate we will have another big field, but again without many big names. Running against Sen. Roger Wicker in the GOP primary will be Allen Hathcock and Robert Maloney. Competing for the Democratic nomination will be Albert Gore, Jr. and Roger Weiner. Shortly after the 2010 elections, there was talk of how some were hoping to get a strong Tea Party challenge to Wicker. I imagine the Republicans in this race, and all the races featuring incumbent Republicans, will run to the right but to quote Smokey and the Bandit, they have a long way to go and a short time to get there.

About these ads
  1. radikuldude permalink
    January 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Historically, the most vulnerable time for a congressman is at the end of their first term in office. The fact that no “big” names, including the former holder of that office opposed him in this position is an indicator of the times and the job the person has done in that position. Steven’s office personnel shenanigans have not carried much weight against the respect he has gotten from the majority leader and the clout that brings to South Mississippi.

• Coast Rat 4ever permalink
      January 17, 2012 8:18 am

I see where Steven is pulling out a R heavyweight to help in his reelection and fundraising. On Feb 4 Eric Cantor will be at a fundraising for Steven at the Gulfport Yacht Club. With Gene’s, Brian’s and Michael’s decision not to run I suspect Palazzo will be easily reelected despite his problems. Now that Gene is gone I don’t see the 4th district voting D anytime in the foreseeable future.

2. deana mcalister permalink
    January 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Could you please tell me why Danny Bedwell was not mentioned as one of Alan Nunnelee’s opponents in this article? It is public record that he is running.

3. Henri permalink
    January 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Brett: You mentioned in this article that you were featuring a few names you have probably heard of. There are a Great many of your readers that have heard of Mr. Danny Bedwell an opponent running against Alan Nunnelee. thought I’d bring that to your attention

4. Ron Williams permalink
    January 17, 2012 7:57 pm

We had a contract once to remove and dispose items from a warehouse at th seabee base. These Items were such things as tents, tools,lightbulbs, flashlights and other non-perishable items.

As a taxpayer,I inquired as to why thyese Items were being disposed of. I was told that Items were regularly disposed of to make room for new Items. The same things, just another contract purchase.

When I hear Republicans say there is no room for cuts to our military spending, I realize what they are really saying is, ” they can’t tell their Military contractor buddies, “no”.

And of course we all are aware of the wasteful social programs of the Democrats.

We can’t afford politics as usual by Reps or Dems anymore.

I ask you to consider that maybe , we can elect people who will truly cut the waste in all programs. Even if its just for a long enough period to solve our problems. Then if you guys want to go back to business as usual, so be it.

I have no political agenda nor do Deasire to be a “Politician” The waste has got to stop. Our children or our “posterity” as the founding fathers called them, deserve better.

Please put Party aside and help me do this.

5. Ron Williams permalink
    January 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Just for the Record, I voted for and made campaign contributions to Steve Palazzo. I think he’s a decent person and good guy. It is obvious that the Republican Party and it’s contributors, take priority over what’s best for all.

Like so many party politicians, he can’t tell the party “no”

6. SaltwaterAngler permalink
    January 18, 2012 11:14 am

Ron, you say you do not want to be a politician, but it seems you will continue to run for office until you stumble upon a win (which will presumably be no time soon).

Can we expect you to endorse the Democrat again in this race?

• Travis Rose permalink
      January 18, 2012 11:52 am

Why would he endorse a major party candidate when he himself will be on the ballot as a third party?

• Ron ( to saltwater ) Williams permalink
      January 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I guess personal attacks on me are more productive than dealing with the issues. I kind of expexted that from you guys but, at least I made the effort.

Saltwater, if you want to run in my place and will commit to attacking the problems and not just protecting the party, I will back out and let you have it. What do you say?

Under Mississippi law a Party can change candidates for a valid reason.

With all these fake names, I don’t know who you are, but if you would like to discuss these issues, I am at 228-990-4564.

7. Ron ( to saltwater ) Williams permalink
    January 18, 2012 12:54 pm

As you are aware, Ron Vincent is on the Rep. ballot. Ron would make a great congressman, but he will probably not survive the Primary. The MSGOP will not allow a true fiscal conservative to be their candidate.

So you tell me, Who’s out there as a candidiate, for people who really want a differenc in the way Washingto does things?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )